Advantage Fares

when we have phoned HAL for new bookings we do not hear that we can book advantage fares which  guarantees  our deposit . although ususlly $1200  it it far betterv than oosing  $500 in cancellation fees  .We also always hear about the Have It All  plan  .since we are non drinkers we always pass on the Have it All  ;but , in the past this tactic of not teling us about advantage fares has cost us $500 in loss when we had to cancel a cruise . i do vnot consider this up front handling .Their personnel should give us the option but mwe never hear it .The last cruise i had to ask for the advantage fare , Thus mtheis question now coes into play ,"Wht isn't holland america personnel telling us about there is ca advantage fare for a complete refund 

How many tomes has this happened to you when you ask the price ie ?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

The last cruise i had to ask for the advantage fare ,

Cliff, everyone always has to ask for the Advantage fare. It's not just you, it's just the way it is.

A booking agent at CCL let me book two cabins with a non-refundable deposit (that I later had to cancel), while my HAL PCC would never have done that.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 3

@crystalspin I do wonder what HAL's reasoning is for keeping the Advantage Fare option "hidden" but available?  If they don't want to offer it for some reason, that would be their prerogative.  Any thoughts why they don't list it?

Just curious!

~Nancy

• Like 1

This has always been a pet peeve of mine as how are you to even know that the Advantage Fare even exists?

I think HAL isn't transparent on it as it is in their best interest to have people book non-refundable fares as it increases their chances of the passenger not cancelling the cruise and it also increases their chances of the passenger purchasing the Cruise Cancellation Protection Plan.

The only time that I have purchased a non-refundable deposit is if the cruise final payment is within a very short window.  Other than that I always purchase the Advantage Fare.  The Advantage Fare allows me to easily cancel and rebook should fares reduce and it allows me to cancel should HAL make unattractive changes to the itinerary (which I've had to do more times that I am happy with).  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As has been recommended previously, a travel agent can navigate those things on your behalf. I think we can all agree that HAL has mastered the art of inconsistency. Many of us have most of our life behind us not in front of us, I personally choose to let the experts that are paid to make my life easier do what they do best. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The travel agency I use always shows the Advantage Fare. This same agency rebates about 11% of the commisionable cruise fare as a discount in the price and is always available with a personal agent over the phone or by email. Finding a booking path that suits one’s needs is the key. But then you won’t likely have an interest in spending time posting threads about how the cruise line fails to meet your needs. Each to his or her own. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Taters said:

We book exclusively with Future Cruise Deposits as they are always refundable.

The Future Cruise deposit has nothing to do with how you book and what promotion you book under and if it is a Non-refundable deposit. You could easily booked a nonrefundable deposit with your Future Cruise Deposit, cancel and lose your Future cruise deposit. Even if you book on board. One must ask questions when booking as to what they are booking. Be Glad HAL is  not like Royal Caribbean if you want any kind of full Suite, Full Suites can only be Non refundable deposit with them. It is also that way with a several other cruise lines.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

The Future Cruise deposit has nothing to do with how you book and what promotion you book under and if it is a Non-refundable deposit. You could easily booked a nonrefundable deposit with your Future Cruise Deposit, cancel and lose your Future cruise deposit. Even if you book on board. One must ask questions when booking as to what they are booking. Be Glad HAL is  not like Royal Caribbean if you want any kind of full Suite, Full Suites can only be Non refundable deposit with them. It is also that way with a several other cruise lines.

Thanks for sharing the info to all .. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taters said:

We book exclusively with Future Cruise Deposits as they are always refundable.

I lost my future cruise deposits by booking the non-refundable fare and having to cancel. Granted, that was during the pandemic fiasco of cancelled and re-cancelled cruises, but upon cancelling a cruise booked with the non-refundable deposit fare (the deposit was FCDs), my FCD deposit was not refunded.

It seems to me that 10 or more years ago, when booking online, the fares shown always had deposits that were refundable. I don’t know if it was called ‘advantage’ back then, but they were fares that were refundable and the cruises could be re-fared or specials that cropped up could be stacked on without issue. Then came the pandemic and it is after that that the online booking changed and one could not see the refundable fare. Now you have to call your TA or PCC to get that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saskacruiser said:

Then came the pandemic and it is after that that the online booking changed and one could not see the refundable fare. Now you have to call your TA or PCC to get that

Or use a travel agent whose website shows it. 

Cliff:  You post repeatedly about fares.  Getting lower fares is NOT difficult if you use a travel agent! Period. 

Last week, I simply emailed my TA and within an hour, I had refared a Princess cruise in Nov by $400 (keeping all perks).  Today, doing my own research, I emailed my TA for a cabin change on the Rotterdam, and lowered my fare by $960 for next April! Yay!

IT'S THAT SIMPLE! 😲 

My TA is responsive and enjoys his job. I enjoy my savings and peace of mind.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Well, we've always used the FCDs and have never had an issue when we've had to cancel or change plans.  Maybe it has something to do with our PCC.  I don't make things up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saskacruiser said:

I lost my future cruise deposits by booking the non-refundable fare and having to cancel. Granted, that was during the pandemic fiasco of cancelled and re-cancelled cruises, but upon cancelling a cruise booked with the non-refundable deposit fare (the deposit was FCDs), my FCD deposit was not refunded.

It seems to me that 10 or more years ago, when booking online, the fares shown always had deposits that were refundable. I don’t know if it was called ‘advantage’ back then, but they were fares that were refundable and the cruises could be re-fared or specials that cropped up could be stacked on without issue. Then came the pandemic and it is after that that the online booking changed and one could not see the refundable fare. Now you have to call your TA or PCC to get that. 

I'm sorry you've lost FCDs in the past.  We haven't had that experience.  We've made several changes over the years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

when we have phoned HAL for new bookings we do not hear that we can book advantage fares which  guarantees  our deposit . although ususlly $1200  it it far betterv than oosing  $500 in cancellation fees  .We also always hear about the Have It All  plan  .since we are non drinkers we always pass on the Have it All  ;but , in the past this tactic of not teling us about advantage fares has cost us $500 in loss when we had to cancel a cruise . i do vnot consider this up front handling .Their personnel should give us the option but mwe never hear it .The last cruise i had to ask for the advantage fare , Thus mtheis question now coes into play ,"Wht isn't holland america personnel telling us about there is ca advantage fare for a complete refund 

So is an Advantage Fare simply another term for a cruise fare with a refundable deposit? I know I must be missing something. 🤔

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Taters said:

I'm sorry you've lost FCDs in the past.  We haven't had that experience.  We've made several changes over the years.

The answer to that is you were booked with a refundable deposit every time you canceled. HAL has had non refundable deposit promotions for several years well prior to covid. If you booked  Have It All promo or the previous type of promotion such as HIA, they have mostly all be a refundable deposit. HAL to be competitive has been offering the non-refundable deposit so that when someone states they don't want the HIA or is looking for the lowest price that is what they offer.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So is an Advantage Fare simply another term for a cruise fare with a refundable deposit? I know I must be missing something. 🤔

Refundable deposit but no extra "Have it All" perqs.

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Yes, it is always a refundable deposit with no perks, although often it could offer reduced deposit and possible ship board credit but not always. Although it will not be the lowest per person rate, that will be the Non-refundable deposit.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Yes, it is always a refundable deposit with no perks, although often it could offer reduced deposit and possible ship board credit but not always. Although it will not be the lowest per person rate, that will be the Non-refundable deposit.

OK. If at times there are some perks associated with it, will I see those perks when I do a mock booking online?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

No  ( Advantage Fare)  is a no frills fare , No 15 drinks per day  ( drink Package ) No free specialty dinning , It is how it was 7 years ago ..you want something extra you pay for it ..

It is not for everyone , some folks like when everything is included. it is nice to have a choice ..

inside cabin  or a window  or a balcony or a suit        CHOICE

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

You are totally correct. They never ever mention the advantage fair. The only 1 that has ever told me about it is my travel agent.

11 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I booked with a travel agent decently and got the advantage fare and I got perks. I even got the  have it all packaged. I'm just sorry that I'm just recently finding out about the advantage fare. My original travel agent never mentioned it. 

41 minutes ago, shadow 123 said:

I booked with a travel agent decently and got the advantage fare and I got perks. I even got the  have it all packaged. I'm just sorry that I'm just recently finding out about the advantage fare. My original travel agent never mentioned it. 

You can add HIA promos to the Advantage Fare.

You can purchase a refundable deposit (Advantage Fare - the advantage being that it is refundable) or a non-refundable deposit.  The Advantage Fare will cost more as you are paying for the refund option.

After that you can add promos like HIA to the fare.  The HIA isn't a set promo and HAL changes it at whim.  HIA is simply a bundling of amenities for a discounted price.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1