best side of the boat?

when you are in the middle of the ocean, both sides get the same view: the vast emptiness of the ocean 

as for when in the port, it depends on the captain. one week the ship will dock port side, then the next week it will be starboard and then starboard again the following week then port after, etc. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You also have to think about the sunset/sunrise. Heading south you will get the sunrise at the beginning of the cruise if you are on the port side and will be missing it on the trip back north from the cabin. 

Small thing but something to consider. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have a different perspective -- there is a top side and a bottom side of the ship.  I prefer to be above the waterline; otherwise the balcony is very wet!

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I have a different perspective -- there is a top side and a bottom side of the ship.  I prefer to be above the waterline; otherwise the balcony is very wet!

is this correct? 5 deck pretty low, i was thinking closer to water would be prettier🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Softservekid1 said:

is this correct? 5 deck pretty low, i was thinking closer to water would be prettier🤷‍♂️

It was only a joke about a hypothetical underwater balcony on the very bottom of the ship. Any of the balconies are fine, though there is a slight chance a cove balcony, if your ship has them, could be closed off if the seas are very rough that day.

• Haha 2

Democrats, port (left) side balcony; Republicans, starboard (right) side balcony; Independents (who can't decide), in the middle.

Good a way as any to decide...

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, CruisinArn said:

You also have to think about the sunset/sunrise. Heading south you will get the sunrise at the beginning of the cruise if you are on the port side and will be missing it on the trip back north from the cabin. 

Small thing but something to consider. 

It's a small thing for a round-trip cruise like the OP's, but it's much more significant on a one-way cruise.  For those considering a one-way cruise in a balcony cabin, think about whether you'd prefer morning or afternoon sun on your balcony.  

38 cruises from Galveston going to Cozumel, and the best bet for pier runners is port side. From the days on Conquest class to the Celebration we had a spot on the rail or balcony depending on ship and only a few times did we miss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We almost always book port side and more often than not we've had a view of the pier. I know people say it doesn't matter, and technically it doesn't, but I do feel like port side faces the pier more often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

We almost always book port side and more often than not we've had a view of the pier. I know people say it doesn't matter, and technically it doesn't, but I do feel like port side faces the pier more often.

Same here, every cruise we've been on in the past 10 years, we've booked port side and faced the pier.  The last cruise we went on in November, port side, faced not one of the 4 piers.  I didn't even notice it until like the 3rd stop.  That was new to us, but I guess it happens sometimes. 

Edited by Rollin Tide
  • Like 1

Depends on what port we're leaving from. PC, starboard side, MIA, port side, TPA, starboard, FLL, port side. We usually experience sail away from our balcony and just feel the view is nicer from these locations. As for port stops, that's a crap shoot which side is better depending on how the captain decides to park.

JMHO

15 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

Depends on what port we're leaving from. PC, starboard side, MIA, port side, TPA, starboard, FLL, port side. We usually experience sail away from our balcony and just feel the view is nicer from these locations. As for port stops, that's a crap shoot which side is better depending on how the captain decides to park.

JMHO

going out of Galveston, Texas. jubilee