Money Saving Laundry Hack

Just now, ceeceeDee said:

Are you serious??!!! ☹️ I'm definitely doing the stomp in the cabin bathtub overnight!

You need a mini suite for a bathtub otherwise it is in the shower floor

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

You need a mini suite for a bathtub otherwise it is in the shower floor

Yep, I was referring to a mini suite. Given the size of the shower cubicles it would be more of a tight shuffle than a stomp! 😆

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're putting ours in every couple of days.

On a 7 to 14 nighter, we would do it daily until 4 nights from the end of the cruise. I was wondering how it would go on a world cruise, and we will likely follow your two day routine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Barb has seen one first hand. They aren't pretty. It generally comes about when there is a queue for a machine, and the completed load is owned by someone who is in the buffet or getting some sunshine on deck - sometimes to return hours after the cycle is finished.

It is a pretty low act to dump the clothes. There is the other version, when they return to find their clothes all neatly folded in a pile.

Oh for sure. I have had my clothes attempted to be taken out of the dryer while the cycle was still going - but I was there ironing at the time.

I really don't  understand  people.

I have read gossip years ago on FB that 2 ladies were sent off the next port for laundry brawling- I don't  know if it's  true but I would believe  it!

• Like 3

It works well. Get the washing bags in early enough so you have clean clothes through to the end of your cruise. Much easier travelling with 5 days worth of clothes than 14 days. Just don't wait for a full bag of laundry to accumulate before getting your washing done. If travelling prior to the cruise, get a bag done on the first evening.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're putting ours in every couple of days.

Our Alaskan cruise in 2022 was a splurge. We sailed with HAL and bought the laundry package for $49US. We left the previous days clothes on the bed in a paper laundry bag each morning and they were returned each evening, clean, ironed, and folded or on hangers. Absolute luxury!

When we were in Airlie Beach last week, I showed DW a HAL laundry tag still on one of my garments. It served as a reminder of that fantastic trip. Isn’t that what souvenirs are supposed to do? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Gwendy said:

…Still better than braving laundry rage, lol

Barb has seen one first hand. They aren't pretty. It generally comes about when there is a queue for a machine, and the completed load is owned by someone who is in the buffet or getting some sunshine on deck - sometimes to return hours after the cycle is finished.

It is a pretty low act to dump the clothes. There is the other version, when they return to find their clothes all neatly folded in a pile.

1 hour ago, ceeceeDee said:

Laundry pods at 10 paces!🤣

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I went to use an iron once, found that the lady was swinging it around to keep someone away from a dryer. I left quickly.

I haven’t witnessed a laundry riot (yet) but I remember a story that I probably read on CC years ago. 
Someone got cranky because someone else had taken "their" dryer. I’m not sure if they removed the clothes or just jumped the queue. The offended person stormed off and returned with a packet of crayons they’d purchased onboard. They opened the offending dryer, threw in the crayons, and restarted the dryer! 😱

What’s wrong with people?!🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

Just now, Sparky74 said:

Our Alaskan cruise in 2022 was a splurge. We sailed with HAL and bought the laundry package for $49US. We left the previous days clothes on the bed in a paper laundry bag each morning and they were returned each evening, clean, ironed, and folded or on hangers. Absolute luxury!

When we were in Airlie Beach last week, I showed DW a HAL laundry tag still on one of my garments. It served as a reminder of that fantastic trip. Isn’t that what souvenirs are supposed to do? 🤷‍♂️

We bought the HAL laundry package when we were on Westerdam. It was brilliant, so quick. Princess laundry service is just as good but not as quick if you're getting it free but it was very quick if you were paying or in a suite.

• Like 2

We’ve just booked a 7 night RCI cruise to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary in November. 
That means no self-service laundry and no Carnival shareholder OBC. 😱

But as Diamond C&A members I guess we'll get 4 drinks/day each; not bad for a couple of teetotallers. 😁

I'll have to decide if we pack enough clothes (we will be flying to and from Sydney), or hand wash, or pay 😱 to have laundry done. I wear button up shirts, not T-shirts, and I don’t think they qualify for the wash n fold special. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

I haven’t witnessed a laundry riot (yet) but I remember a story that I probably read on CC years ago. 
Someone got cranky because someone else had taken "their" dryer. I’m not sure if they removed the clothes or just jumped the queue. The offended person stormed off and returned with a packet of crayons they’d purchased onboard. They opened the offending dryer, threw in the crayons, and restarted the dryer! 😱

I can't believe how low people can stoop down to.

Hmm, crayons you say. I might have to add them to my packing list 🤣

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I went to use an iron once, found that the lady was swinging it around to keep someone away from a dryer. I left quickly.

What! Didn’t stay to see the result? Lol

• Haha 3

Prior to our first cruise, we were given a great hack. Pack some Febreeze, and that way your clothes would smell newly washed, even if they weren't.

When our bag was delivered to our cabin, Sydney's finest wharf handlers had done a number on the case, and also split the Febreeze container. At least the laundry was quiet on the first sea day, as 1/2 of our clothes needed a wash.

• Haha 1

We pack either underwear and socks that were at the end of their life cycle anyway or get a pack of cheap stuff from KMart. One wear, dispose. 

Confuses the room attendant. Sir this is waste bin, not laundry basket...

The onboard laundry (if there is one) is only used for ironing a few pieces if need be.

Oh,  and Coles (not woolworths, for some reason) sells a great "wrinkle release spray " that comes in small spritz bottles. Works  a treat. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

Chocolate is cheaper and easier, lol

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, buchhalm said:

We pack either underwear and socks that were at the end of their life cycle anyway or get a pack of cheap stuff from KMart. One wear, dispose. 

Confuses the room attendant. Sir this is waste bin, not laundry basket...

The onboard laundry (if there is one) is only used for ironing a few pieces if need be.

Oh,  and Coles (not woolworths, for some reason) sells a great "wrinkle release spray " that comes in small spritz bottles. Works  a treat. 

If you are bringing your holey undies, make sure you avoid buses.

• Haha 2

On 7/10/2024 at 8:08 PM, Over from NZ said:

From memory.. it was $1.50 on the ship for laundry powder. You've found pods at 47c. We're saving about $1 a time for what.. about 2-3 loads of laundry max on an average cruise? So we're getting excited about a saving of $2-3 dollars? I've never understood that one.. lol. 🤣

as mother said  a penny saved.........   would you ignore a 2$ coin in the street??

• Like 4

4 hours ago, buchhalm said:

I don't understand how that would help.

If you were going on, say, 10 day trip, you would have to take 10 pairs of undies/ socks ( I am presuming you change them daily)  - if you are doing that, why not just take them home and wash when you get home.

I don't like the idea of buying stuff just to use once. 

• Like 5

On 7/11/2024 at 8:09 AM, Sparky74 said:

I never intended to open such a can of worms!

I just wanted to let people know that I’d found these pods on special at what I thought was a good price. 
I hope I haven’t offended anyone. 
If you get good results from laundry sheets, great!

If you carry a small plastic bag of laundry powder from home, great!

If you book a suite so you have extra room to hang your wet washing, great!

😁

Sparky74 … I've found this to be one of the most enjoyable and entertaining parts of CC - when an original post 'morphs' into something totally off subject from the original post. (And the most confusing for non Aussies 😏)

Grab the popcorn, sit back and enjoy 😆

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/12/2024 at 8:08 AM, Mycruiseobsession said:

Oh for sure. I have had my clothes attempted to be taken out of the dryer while the cycle was still going - but I was there ironing at the time.

I really don't  understand  people.

I have read gossip years ago on FB that 2 ladies were sent off the next port for laundry brawling- I don't  know if it's  true but I would believe  it!

I have been on a cruise when 2 people were apparently sent off at the next port. It was Queen Victoria and a segment of a WC  and there was an almighty row. I didn’t see it, but the laundry gossipers confirmed this. I haven’t needed to go to the laundry for some time, but on segments of world cruises on Cunard, the stories you hear!🤣

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, buchhalm said:

We pack either underwear and socks that were at the end of their life cycle anyway

Being fairly frugal, I would wear my undies beyond a point where many people would chuck them. I've been "caught out" twice now, once an unexpected admission to hospital and the other moving house to a new district, signing on with a new doctor, and on my first visit, him asking me to take my clothes off down to my undies (skin check, I expect). Oh, the embarrassment 😳 I have re-set my standards now, and only wear "presentable" undies 👙

• Haha 4

Oh the memories! My original cruise buddy and I thought the laundries were lots of fun, met some great people and used the time to catch up on Social media and enjoy a cocktail or 2 while we waited. I have never seen a brawl but have heard some interesting tales! I take pods with me but also a Sard stain remover stick - easy to pack and great for smalls and spillages in the hand basin/shower! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Porky55 said:

I've found this to be one of the most enjoyable and entertaining parts of CC - when an original post 'morphs' into something totally off subject from the original post.

It's fascinating. I had no idea there were "laundry wars" on board.  I'm very unlikely to encounter one. I am a bit claustrophobic (couldn't cope with an interior cabin, for example) and the only time I went to check out the onboard laundry, I was upset by the combination of it being totally interior, badly lit, very crowded with narrow aisles between the washers and driers, and most of all by the strong detergent smell and the stifling humidity.

I'm on holiday - I'd rather pay for some laundry to be done, plus do the lighter things myself, and I would never, ever take anything on a cruise that needs ironing.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jean C said:

Being fairly frugal, I would wear my undies beyond a point where many people would chuck them. I've been "caught out" twice now, once an unexpected admission to hospital and the other moving house to a new district, signing on with a new doctor, and on my first visit, him asking me to take my clothes off down to my undies (skin check, I expect). Oh, the embarrassment 😳 I have re-set my standards now, and only wear "presentable" undies 👙

Didn't your mother tell you....?

😉

• Haha 4