We use specialty dining on the first day because of several reasons. 1) We can easily get a reservation on the first night.  2) We choose anytime dining (called by other names on different cruise lines) so we don’t get the same dining team every night.  3)  We do not share a table due to too many bad experiences with table mates.  4). When we do go to the MDR, we are very positive and make friends with the staff.  
It’s your vacation so enjoy. Specialty Dining the first night can set the tone for the rest of your cruise and give you a desirable experience after a crazy travel and the embarkation routine.

42 minutes ago, johnnydeo said:

RCCL Seranade of the Seas

@johnnydeo

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask s Cruise Question forum! However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising.

Now that you have identified your cruise line, your inquiry is off topic there since it concerns a specific cruise line. Your thread has been moved to the Royal Caribbean International forum where it will be on topic. It is where your fellow Cruise Critic members that sail RCI can help you with your cruise line specific inquiry.

1 hour ago, johnnydeo said:

People have told me the MDR is chaotic on the 1st night.

It's not really chaotic, but it will take a little longer as wait staff figure out the passengers and passengers figure out the process.

2 hours ago, johnnydeo said:

One of the first stops we make after boarding is a trip up to the MDR to see exactly where are table is.  Easy to make a table change if you do not like the location.  At your dining time since you know where your table is just walk past the crowds and line and seat yourself.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NotADopey1 said:

We use specialty dining on the first day because of several reasons. 1) We can easily get a reservation on the first night.  2) We choose anytime dining (called by other names on different cruise lines) so we don’t get the same dining team every night.  3)  We do not share a table due to too many bad experiences with table mates.  4). When we do go to the MDR, we are very positive and make friends with the staff.  
It’s your vacation so enjoy. Specialty Dining the first night can set the tone for the rest of your cruise and give you a desirable experience after a crazy travel and the embarkation routine.

We do the same.  Totally agree with this.  Great way to kick off the cruise!

14 hours ago, NotADopey1 said:

We use specialty dining on the first day because of several reasons. 

4). When we do go to the MDR, we are very positive and make friends with the staff.  

Why is being nice to MDR staff a reason to use specialty dining on day one?

• Like 1

Because people feel you need to meet with your MDR staff on the first night.  You can make acquaintance with the MDR staff any night. And you should be nice any night.  Specialty dining is extremely hard to book if you are not in an upper class cabin.  Did I explain this better?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotADopey1 said:

Specialty dining is extremely hard to book if you are not in an upper class cabin

On Anthem recently they were 'cruising' the M DR tables every night almost begging people to go to speciality restaurants but at $54pp +18%, it certainly was an offer we could refuse when we were getting excellent food & service in the MDR!

15 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

One of the first stops we make after boarding is a trip up to the MDR to see exactly where are table is.  Easy to make a table change if you do not like the location.  At your dining time since you know where your table is just walk past the crowds and line and seat yourself.  

Exactly!

On 7/11/2024 at 1:58 PM, johnnydeo said:

have 3 nights specially dinning on 7 day cruise, it it a good idea to use one on the 1st day (departure)?

Yes

On 7/11/2024 at 2:08 PM, johnnydeo said:

MDR is chaotic almost every night

On 7/12/2024 at 7:34 AM, johnnydeo said:

I have purchased the 3 night specialty pkg on Seranade of the Seas

Both Chops & Giovanni's will be empty on day 1 on the smaller ships. You'll have a great chance of getting a beautiful floor-ceiling window table with a great view, a made to order dinner in a calm environment with excellent personal service... like a nice restaurant at home. Your table in the MDR may be inches away from others, whereas the spacing in the specialty restaurants are "normal" and more private/comfortable. Also the MDR theme menu normally on day 1 in the isn't my personal favorite so I go often to Specialty for day 1 dinner.

• Like 1

I guess different people have different experiences,I can't say that the MDR was hectic any night on our recent 12 night cruise on Anthem,maybe it was just that we were lucky to be in a quiet corner in Icon,it helps that the table nearest ours was empty for 11 of those nights,on the last night we were the only ones in our part of the restaurant!

We have used specialty dining on the first night a couple of times,once for my Wife's Birthday,our last RCI speciality experience in Chops on Quantum left us somewhat underwhelmed,nice enough food & decent service but the portion size of the side dishes were very mean IMO!

Hence the reluctance to pay the extra on Anthem when we were extremely happy with what we had in the MDR,added to that probably the best meals we have had at sea were on our previous cruise on P&O 's Arcadia in the Ocean Grill & that was only £15pp,great food & service & good sized portions.

On 7/12/2024 at 4:53 AM, NotADopey1 said:

Specialty dining is extremely hard to book if you are not in an upper class cabin

Specialty dining is not hard to book regardless of what cabin you are in.  Simply board the ship and go to the first specialty restaurant you see and make all your requests then.  I have never had any challenge getting the restaurants I want on the days I want.  I don't think I've ever even needed to be more than 30 minutes flexible in my requested time and that was for Hibachi which has is has the fewest seats on the ship.

This has been true with with both the UDP and a 3Day dining option.

I'm not sure why you think you need "an upper class cabin"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Yes

Both Chops & Giovanni's will be empty on day 1 on the smaller ships. You'll have a great chance of getting a beautiful floor-ceiling window table with a great view, a made to order dinner in a calm environment with excellent personal service... like a nice restaurant at home. Your table in the MDR may be inches away from others, whereas the spacing in the specialty restaurants are "normal" and more private/comfortable. Also the MDR theme menu normally on day 1 in the isn't my personal favorite so I go often to Specialty for day 1 dinner.

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Yes

Which is better?

I have gone back and forth with which is my favorite.  Initially I preferred Chops but on the last few cruises I have actually enjoyed Giovanni's/Jamies more.  If you want a steak Giovanni's was just as good as what I got at Chops.

• Like 1