Status of Labadee

20 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

How in the world could you believe any estimate of a timeline to return with the current state of the country being as it is ?

Especially you , after giving the update you gave a few days ago . 

That just makes no sense 

"We were told last week on board Adventure that the current timeline to return is sometime after the first of the year"

That could be any time after January 1, 2025.  Could be May 2, 2029.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

How in the world could you believe any estimate of a timeline to return with the current state of the country being as it is ?

Especially you , after giving the update you gave a few days ago . 

That just makes no sense 

All @orville99did was post what he was told. Why are you jumping all over him?

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am by no means "jumping all over anyone "

I asked a valid question of him and am stating what I believe to be the obvious . Anyone believing that someone could actually give a worthwhile answer as to when Labadee could expect to start returning ships is not aware of what is actually going on in the country . 

By the description of his post it sounds closer to a war zone than a cruise destination . 

......... "anything but peaceful. Loudspeakers from the hillside pumping warnings and threats down into the compound, and multiple search lights scanning the hillside to determine where they were coming from. A surreal experience to say the least.  We were supposed to be there until 3AM to drop off the supplies, but because of the chaotic environment the ship accelerated the drop through multiple cargo ramps se we could get out of there by 2AM. "

This IS a cruise forum. Please feel free to disagree with me as well !

Cheers

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

"We were told last week on board Adventure that the current timeline to return is sometime after the first of the year"

That could be any time after January 1, 2025.  Could be May 2, 2029.

Yes , Agreed . And your example speaks to the pointlessness of the original statement ! 

You may get a equally valid answer from online guest services , and we all know what that's worth .

Cheers

Cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Anyone believing that someone could actually give a worthwhile answer as to when Labadee could expect to start returning ships is not aware of what is actually going on in the country. 

I very appreciate the comments @orville99 made and hope he posts an update.  He didn't pretend to know when they're going back, but just repeated what he'd heard. Since Royal hasn't made any announcements, I think it's helpful info.

On the fb page for my cruise, I posted about a call I made to Royal asking about Labadee.  The woman I spoke to said we wouldn't be going, but was difficult to understand and at one point seemed to be saying the cruise would be cancelled and we could move our $ without penalty to another cruise. Someone else posted saying the they talked with Royal and "Labadee is still a go!"  So yes, it seems obvious to me they won't be going in November, but it still helps confirm and clarify when Royal is still actively selling 2024 cruises that include Labadee and telling people we're going.  (Or telling them something they interpret as we're going.)

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Because he has nothing more substantive to add to the conversation. I guess the ability to ask the question raised by everyone on this thread somehow rankles him. The answer is the answer, and I am merely your humble reporter. Geesh😳

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

I am by no means "jumping all over anyone "

I asked a valid question of him and am stating what I believe to be the obvious . Anyone believing that someone could actually give a worthwhile answer as to when Labadee could expect to start returning ships is not aware of what is actually going on in the country . 

By the description of his post it sounds closer to a war zone than a cruise destination . 

......... "anything but peaceful. Loudspeakers from the hillside pumping warnings and threats down into the compound, and multiple search lights scanning the hillside to determine where they were coming from. A surreal experience to say the least.  We were supposed to be there until 3AM to drop off the supplies, but because of the chaotic environment the ship accelerated the drop through multiple cargo ramps se we could get out of there by 2AM. "

This IS a cruise forum. Please feel free to disagree with me as well !

Cheers

Yes , Agreed . And your example speaks to the pointlessness of the original statement ! 

You may get a equally valid answer from online guest services , and we all know what that's worth .

Cheers

Cheers

There is only one truly pointless statement made in this thread, and it came from Nova Scotia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

There is only one truly pointless statement made in this thread, and it came from Nova Scotia.

Orville , To be clear I wasn't saying you made the pointless statement ...Royal is making pointless statements . The situation as you describe it opened my eyes to just how bad the situation has become , and far from the capital .It is very sad for their country .

I apologize if you were offended (which I'm not sure you would have been if not for Ocean stirring the pot) .

3 hours ago, RW_MI said:

The woman I spoke to said we wouldn't be going, but was difficult to understand and at one point seemed to be saying the cruise would be cancelled and we could move our $ without penalty to another cruise. Someone else posted saying the they talked with Royal and "Labadee is still a go!"  So yes, it seems obvious to me they won't be going in November, but it still helps confirm and clarify when Royal is still actively selling 2024 cruises that include Labadee and telling people we're going

You are hearing "ÿes we're going " and "No we're not going" , How is this helpful ? The only helpful statement would be the truth .which would be ... "At this point we have NO idea one way or the other when or if the situation will turn for the better"

In some reason we have excursions opened in booking on Symphony for April next year. So maybe they are planning to use this port.

23 minutes ago, LobsterStalker said:

Orville , To be clear I wasn't saying you made the pointless statement

You specifically attacked me, my two posts -which you quoted to emphasize your point, and then doubled down with your insult to my intelligence by calling me clueless. How else would anyone with a functioning brain possibly interpret your rant. 

Sorry, but I have no further use for either you or your opinions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LobsterStalker said:

You are hearing "ÿes we're going " and "No we're not going" , How is this helpful ? The only helpful statement would be the truth .which would be ... "At this point we have NO idea one way or the other when or if the situation will turn for the better"

I meant that orville's posts help clarify that no, Royal doesn't plan to go to Labadee this year.

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

In some reason we have excursions opened in booking on Symphony for April next year. So maybe they are planning to use this port.

Celebrity has cancelled Labadee stops through March of next year, and I suspect RCL will also do the same (eventually).

2 hours ago, RW_MI said:

I meant that orville's posts help clarify that no, Royal doesn't plan to go to Labadee this year.

OK , gotcha

2 hours ago, RW_MI said:

Gotcha , that makes sense . It clarifies a lot for me also , hearing first hand the actual situation on the groung

On 7/23/2024 at 10:10 AM, LobsterStalker said:

I apologize if you were offended (which I'm not sure you would have been if not for Ocean stirring the pot) .

I wasn't stirring any pot. Your post came across like you were jumping on @orville99. I'm glad you explained your intended meaning.

On 7/23/2024 at 10:20 AM, Tatka said:

We can book them for November if this year as well. I don't believe that those will happen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I wasn't stirring any pot. Your post came across like you were jumping on @orville99. I'm glad you explained your intended meaning.

The thing he fails to grasp is that I was dismissed as a blithering idiot by his original post long before you came to my defense. 

And then, rather than back off, he doubled down on his insults. 

I appreciate you having my back. I owe you a beer the next time we are pon board together.🍺

Captain’s Corner is at 10:15 this morning.🚢

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Captain’s Corner is at 10:15 this morning.🚢

Takeaways from this morning’s Captain’s Corner:

Last week we delivered 115 pallets of supplies and diesel fuel to Labadee. The lights and commotion were because that delivery not only was to support the shoreside staff but also the local village, so there was a lot more movement in and out of the compound. The deliveries will be continuing on a routine basis, although they will be smaller because the locals hav found an alternative supplier of diesel fuel. Our stop in April was 4 hours, the one last week was 3 (and according to the Captain, the largest delivery to date), and the captain expects that upcoming ones will be around 2 hours.

The road (apparently there is only one) that connects the compound and the village with the rest of Haiti is being guarded by the Haitian police, and the gang violence is somewhat contained to the Capitol area because of the Kenyan peacekeeping forces. The Kenyans are 
‘negotiating” with the gangs to find a peaceful solution, but so far have not taken any overt aggressive steps to quell the situation.

Finally, the Captain said that he hoped we would be able to start using Labadee “sometime next year”.

Orville out…😇

Edited by orville99
  • Thanks 8

OOPS, almost forgot…The Project Discovery new build program is a go, and the plan is to deliver its first ship in 2029, and the size will be ~90,000 tons (Radiance Class size) targeting the Mediterranean, Asia Pacific, and Alaska. According to the captain, if it does the Med in the summer, it will have to come back to the U.S. in the fall and winter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

38 minutes ago, orville99 said:

OOPS, almost forgot…The Project Discovery new build program is a go, and the plan is to deliver its first ship in 2029, and the size will be ~90,000 tons (Radiance Class size) targeting the Mediterranean, Asia Pacific, and Alaska. According to the captain, if it does the Med in the summer, it will have to come back to the U.S. in the fall and winter.

Wow, if that indeed turns out to be accurate those ships are a LOT smaller than I expected.  I'm very interested to see the layout and which venues they intend to include.  They will need to be very selective. 

10 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Wow, if that indeed turns out to be accurate those ships are a LOT smaller than I expected.  I'm very interested to see the layout and which venues they intend to include.  They will need to be very selective. 

My wild butt guess which is based on nothing would be that if the ships are intended for port-intensive itineraries, they would ditch the seaplex, flow riders, water slides, etc and focus on adding specialty restaurants, loungers etc.  

• Like 4

After reading most of this thread, and especially the post from orville99 (with actual information from the Captain), I am wondering if multiple RCCL ships are making deliveries to Labadee.  We will be on the Freedom in October and Labadee is still listed on our itinerary for October 9th.  Could the reason be that a delivery is scheduled to be made that day?

No doubt they have run the risk assessment, but I am surprised that since Haiti is still on most countries (including the US and UK’) “Level 4” and “Do Not Travel” lists, that they run supply stops with fare paying customers on board? Might have been some sort of “Emergency” but I would have thought that provision and supply runs would have utilised more specialized vessels and crews?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

After reading most of this thread, and especially the post from orville99 (with actual information from the Captain), I am wondering if multiple RCCL ships are making deliveries to Labadee.  We will be on the Freedom in October and Labadee is still listed on our itinerary for October 9th.  Could the reason be that a delivery is scheduled to be made that day?

I would doubt it since the drops are late at night if I recall.

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

Royal hasn't changed the itineraries beyond September, I believe. I know people that have called trying to get information and of course headquarters just tells them to keep an eye on their emails. I don't believe the cruises that deliver supplies would have it listed as a port. That's quite misleading!

• Thanks 1