Infinite Balcony Question

Hi all,

Looking at a cruise on Celebrity Edge and we are unsure about the Infinite Balcony. Are we able to adjust the balcony window  ourselves to obtain fresh air or is this as I have read, up to the Captain to do?

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of booking this type of cabin please?

We usually book balconies because we do like the fresh air at times, but it seems we might not get it on this type of cabin.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, resordanis said:

Hi all,

Looking at a cruise on Celebrity Edge and we are unsure about the Infinite Balcony. Are we able to adjust the balcony window  ourselves to obtain fresh air or is this as I have read, up to the Captain to do?

We usually book balconies because we do like the fresh air at times, but it seems we might not get it on this type of cabin.

You will likely get lots of input here.  I have not yet stayed in this type of cabin but have one booked on the Edge for Alaska.  You can open it yourself unless the captain has overridden the system (bad weather, window cleaning, etc.) For the most part, it sounds like one can control it.  The AC turns off when it is open so many people are finding this an issue on warmer weather cruises (for Alaska, Norway, Iceland reports are more favorable.) When I booked I had no choice of a more traditional balcony and I can’t afford suites so I’m going in with an open mind.  I do believe, by all accounts, that it’ll provide fresh air, a nice floor to ceiling view, and the ability to bring the outside in.  It is not a traditional sit outside, hold on to the railing scenario.  After reading posts hear and the extreme negativity of some, I started to second guess (and almost feel like I made this horrible decision) the choice to stay in one.  I will report back in a few weeks as to how it went but I have an open mind and there really wasn’t any other viable option for me (for those with bigger budgets totally opting for a retreat suite balcony room is going to guarantee a traditional balcony experience.)

4 minutes ago, resordanis said:

Hi all,

I was initially apprehensive but this type of room is fine.  There are some that do not like change.  Give it a chance. 

When there is stormy weather, the Captain has the ability to control the windows.  You can open your window, but that will turn off the air conditioning system for your room.

The pros are that you have a larger room or  at least feel you have a larger room.  That is nice. You also get a small sitting area.    The con is that you cannot walk out on a balcony in the total open air and sun bathe.  Another con is that you cannot peek into your next door neighbor to see what they are up to. 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

We were on the Beyond’s June 9, 2024 in a IV for the first and last time. Regular balcony for us. This type of cabin is just a big window that opens. Should be priced as ocean view cabin.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

You will likely get lots of input here.  I have not yet stayed in this type of cabin but have one booked on the Edge for Alaska.  You can open it yourself unless the captain has overridden the system (bad weather, window cleaning, etc.) For the most part, it sounds like one can control it.  The AC turns off when it is open so many people are finding this an issue on warmer weather cruises (for Alaska, Norway, Iceland reports are more favorable.) When I booked I had no choice of a more traditional balcony and I can’t afford suites so I’m going in with an open mind.  I do believe, by all accounts, that it’ll provide fresh air, a nice floor to ceiling view, and the ability to bring the outside in.  It is not a traditional sit outside, hold on to the railing scenario.  After reading posts hear and the extreme negativity of some, I started to second guess (and almost feel like I made this horrible decision) the choice to stay in one.  I will report back in a few weeks as to how it went but I have an open mind and there really wasn’t any other viable option for me (for those with bigger budgets totally opting for a retreat suite balcony room is going to guarantee a traditional balcony experience.)

Thanks I would be interested in your feedback, if you have time. Enjoy Alaska. This cruise is NZ so the weather won’t be too hot.

• Like 1

very frequentkly asked

suggest OP try search feature for recent threads about the IV.. pros and cons,  personal taste & depends on itin

Posted (edited)

We have done a IV a few times and would do again.  Yes the captain can lock them all if needed.  We never had a issue.  

Edited by lv2cruisgrl
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

In a nutshell, it is an open/close window and not a balcony.

The A/C shuts off when the window is open.

You do get more room by the combination.

There are many lengthy threads on this topic.

People that spend quite a bit of time on their balconies tend to like real balconies and dislike the IVs.  People that don't tend to like the additional space of the IVs.

Do you like balconies or windows?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 2

On The Beyond right now. First time on Edge Class and will be our last. 

If you enjoy a Balcony this is not the Class to sail on, The Infinite Balcony is an ocean view with a window that opens. if you enjoy sitting out on a Balcony this is NOT the class of ship to be on.

• Like 2

We’ve done a couple and loved them.  The big window nonsense is just that, it is basically the size of a balcony opening when opened.  Much more private than a regular balcony, no business calls, parties or couples arguing.  The room is large and many complaints come from those who have never stayed in one.  Check you the Edge thread above and more like them than hate them.

Good Luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Oville said:

We’ve done a couple and loved them.  The big window nonsense is just that, it is basically the size of a balcony opening when opened.  Much more private than a regular balcony, no business calls, parties or couples arguing.  The room is large and many complaints come from those who have never stayed in one.  Check you the Edge thread above and more like them than hate them.

Good Luck!

I don’t need to stay in a room with a window to know that I would prefer a balcony.  Do you have to drink wine to know you prefer beer?  

Windows usually are more private than balconies.

8 minutes ago, Oville said:

Good Luck!

Thank you!

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I don’t need to stay in a room with a window to know that I would prefer a balcony.  Do you have to drink wine to know you prefer beer?  

Windows usually are more private than balconies.

So are you saying you never stayed in one?

1 minute ago, resordanis said:

Thanks all, seems to be ok and will probably give it a go! Appreciate all comments.

You are welcome.  Enjoy your cruise.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Oville said:

So are you saying you never stayed in one?

No, I have not stayed in one.

I’m not interested in spending a lot of money to have a window that opens when I can spend the same amount or less to have a DOOR that opens.  

I know, a window is so much better than a door.

Edited by zitsky

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, zitsky said:

No, I have not stayed in one.

I’m not interested in spending a lot of money to have a window that opens when I can spend the same amount or less to have a DOOR that opens.  

I know, a window is so much better than a door.

You don't have any windows in your house ? 🤣

I have 20 infinite verandas in mine ...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, keesar said:

I was initially apprehensive but this type of room is fine.  There are some that do not like change.  Give it a chance. 

When there is stormy weather, the Captain has the ability to control the windows.  You can open your window, but that will turn off the air conditioning system for your room.

The pros are that you have a larger room or  at least feel you have a larger room.  That is nice. You also get a small sitting area.    The con is that you cannot walk out on a balcony in the total open air and sun bathe.  Another con is that you cannot peek into your next door neighbor to see what they are up to. 😀

Good summary add:

Open window air con goes off.

Blinds must be up/open and stay open when the window is down.

Chairs are low, low backed and don't recline.

Table is tiny.

My Conclusion:

Perfect if you like the idea of a balcony but don't actually use it much.

Useless if, like us, on sea days you spend hours relaxing on the balcony and have lunch out there.

• Like 2

We have stayed in both including Magic Carpet suites which have huge balconies. I find myself spending more time sitting in the infinite balcony watching the view than on an actual balcony, especially in hot weather. We did a move up on our recent RCI's Icon of the Seas from a balcony to an infinite balcony. We have had both on that ship too. It makes the room feel more spacious, it's more private, no neighbor noise or lights. Try it once, you may like it.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, newtampagirl said:

We have stayed in both including Magic Carpet suites which have huge balconies. I find myself spending more time sitting in the infinite balcony watching the view than on an actual balcony, especially in hot weather. We did a move up on our recent RCI's Icon of the Seas from a balcony to an infinite balcony. We have had both on that ship too. It makes the room feel more spacious, it's more private, no neighbor noise or lights. Try it once, you may like it.

Can I ask you something that confuses me?  When you had an “actual” balcony, was there anything preventing you from looking outside or a reason you couldn’t open the door to get fresh air? How is a window better than a door?

11 hours ago, winslow050 said:

On The Beyond right now. First time on Edge Class and will be our last. 

If you enjoy a Balcony this is not the Class to sail on, The Infinite Balcony is an ocean view with a window that opens. if you enjoy sitting out on a Balcony this is NOT the class of ship to be on.

If you like the Edge class get a sunset veranda.   Very limited inventory so usually have to book early or get lucky that one is available.  

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Can I ask you something that confuses me?  When you had an “actual” balcony, was there anything preventing you from looking outside or a reason you couldn’t open the door to get fresh air? How is a window better than a door?

Not who you posted to but can give my perspective. 

The view in an IV is way less restricted than with a traditional balcony. I've stayed in both and I prefer the IV slightly because of what's already been posted. In my experience it gave my DH a place to sit and enjoy the views while still being able to talk with me while doing other things. The curtains are so dated and we have to clip them to get the room dark where the screen is perfect! The heat/sun can be too much depending on location to sit out on a traditional balcony so the IV is nice that we get to see the ports and ocean while staying cool and on cooler days drop the window to hear the sounds as the world goes by. 

Patty 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, cw2go said:

The view in an IV is way less restricted than with a traditional balcony. I've stayed in both and I prefer the IV slightly because of what's already been posted. In my experience it gave my DH a place to sit and enjoy the views while still being able to talk with me while doing other things. The curtains are so dated and we have to clip them to get the room dark where the screen is perfect! The heat/sun can be too much depending on location to sit out on a traditional balcony so the IV is nice that we get to see the ports and ocean while staying cool and on cooler days drop the window to hear the sounds as the world goes by. 

Patty 

@zitsky is very passionate about this topic. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Patty 

Is the width of a window larger than the width of a balcony door?  I would think the frame is just different either vertical or horizontal.