CocoCay Questions

Hi! Going on the Independence of the Seas in August for my second RCL cruise. My first one was 10 years ago so I don't remember much and it was before CocoCay was rebranded to Perfect Day. I've done a bunch of research so I know the basics but I have a few questions. It's just me and my friend, we are two women in our late 20s.   

• What time frame is food available? On one of the maps I saw, it has hours for food at the free venues but I was wondering if that time ever changes. 
  • Is there any beach where a server will come up to your chair and take your drink order? Happy to tip of course! 
  • Are there full showers in the restrooms, so I could get fully ready before getting back on the ship? Or just typical beach rinse off style showers? 
  • Out of the free beach areas, any one in particular that you recommend? 

Would also take any advice! Not planning on paying for the water park, beach club, or adult section, just want to stick to the free pool, beaches, and food. 

Idk but I'd bet if you paid for the beach club they would take orders, but I dont know from experience. I've heard onboard someone who ordered from the pay bbq place and it was delivered to where he was at poolside. 

The free stuff I'd say no. Just walk up and ask for what you want. It takes a while to get off and to south beach where I was. Next time I'll take the tram. I was so hot from walking. I took the tram back to the shuttle area. There is a separate shuttle if you want one from the shuttle area all the way to the ship. It's near the end of the port where the shuttles are for the island.

I loved the free funnel cake and had a chicken sandwich. But it wasnt rebought to me I stood up and got it and sat down at a picnic table. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

There was no RCI CocoCay resort 10 years ago.

Actually RCCL's private island CocoCay has been around for quite some time.  Our first visit there was in 1992, 32 years ago.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 4

Just now, leaveitallbehind said:

Actually RCCL's private island CocoCay has been around for quite some time.  Our first visit there was in 1992.  

Yes it was acquired by RC in 1988.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Actually RCCL's private island CocoCay has been around for quite some time.  Our first visit there was in 1992, 32 years ago.

When did CocoCay open?
May 2019
The first in Royal Caribbean's new Perfect Day Island Collection of next-level private island destinations around the world, Perfect Day at CocoCay welcomed its first guests in May 2019.Jan 31, 2020

There were very few stops at CocoCay before the pier was built.

I think everyone is correct.  Just saying tendered stops were few.

14 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

When did CocoCay open?
May 2019
The first in Royal Caribbean's new Perfect Day Island Collection of next-level private island destinations around the world, Perfect Day at CocoCay welcomed its first guests in May 2019.Jan 31, 2020

I think maybe that is the date of when it was redone. Coco cay opened way before 2019. I was there when there was just a bbq and beach and lounge chairs.

• Like 3

Just now, firefly333 said:

I think maybe that is the date of when it was redone. Coco cay opened way before 2019. I was there when there was just a bbq and beach and lounge chairs.

Yes that is my point when I said everyone was correct.

2 hours ago, kittyraptors said:

Hi! Going on the Independence of the Seas in August for my second RCL cruise. My first one was 10 years ago so I don't remember much and it was before CocoCay was rebranded to Perfect Day. I've done a bunch of research so I know the basics but I have a few questions. It's just me and my friend, we are two women in our late 20s.   

• What time frame is food available? On one of the maps I saw, it has hours for food at the free venues but I was wondering if that time ever changes. 
  • Is there any beach where a server will come up to your chair and take your drink order? Happy to tip of course! 
  • Are there full showers in the restrooms, so I could get fully ready before getting back on the ship? Or just typical beach rinse off style showers? 
  • Out of the free beach areas, any one in particular that you recommend? 

Would also take any advice! Not planning on paying for the water park, beach club, or adult section, just want to stick to the free pool, beaches, and food. 

• What time frame is food available? On one of the maps I saw, it has hours for food at the free venues but I was wondering if that time ever changes. 11:30
  • Is there any beach where a server will come up to your chair and take your drink order? Happy to tip of course! Not really. We position ourselves next to a bar. The lines are never long. 
  • Are there full showers in the restrooms, so I could get fully ready before getting back on the ship? Or just typical beach rinse off style showers? No full showers. Just fresh water to rinse off. It is a beach bathroom,,, not a spa. 
  • Out of the free beach areas, any one in particular that you recommend? We park at Chill Beach between the bar and the buffet and visit each at least once (if not a lot more). It is also a couple of minutes walk over the Oasis Pool if you want some fresh water. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

When did CocoCay open?
May 2019

Right, "Perfect Day at CocoCay" started then. I went to Royal Caribbean's private island CocoCay back in 2015. It was literally just a beach with some shops, I don't even remember if there was food. It wasn't a tender, it was a pier. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

• What time frame is food available? On one of the maps I saw, it has hours for food at the free venues but I was wondering if that time ever changes. 11:30
  • Is there any beach where a server will come up to your chair and take your drink order? Happy to tip of course! Not really. We position ourselves next to a bar. The lines are never long. 
  • Are there full showers in the restrooms, so I could get fully ready before getting back on the ship? Or just typical beach rinse off style showers? No full showers. Just fresh water to rinse off. It is a beach bathroom,,, not a spa. 
  • Out of the free beach areas, any one in particular that you recommend? We park at Chill Beach between the bar and the buffet and visit each at least once (if not a lot more). It is also a couple of minutes walk over the Oasis Pool if you want some fresh water. 

Thank you! Do you know when they stop serving food? That is mostly what I am wondering. 

3 minutes ago, kittyraptors said:

Right, "Perfect Day at CocoCay" started then. I went to Royal Caribbean's private island CocoCay back in 2015. It was literally just a beach with some shops, I don't even remember if there was food. It wasn't a tender, it was a pier. 

No pier 10 years ago.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, steveru621 said:

I believe you are referring to Labadee, a different island.

Huh, apparently you haven’t been to Coco Cay in at least five years. Perfect Day at Coco Cay (not to mention the altered song) has been drilled into passengers heads since the revamped Coco Cay opened in 2019. Just an FYI, Labadee isn’t an island. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

Posted (edited)

Lets get the information accurate.  CocoCay was first leased to RCCL in 1988 and it became a private destination port of call shortly after as a regular itinerary visit.  As mentioned, our first visit there was in 1992 and we had visited five or six times since as a tender port (missing one due to high seas).  The pier was built in 2018, and the Perfect Day waterpark renovations were done in 2019, which is the year it was rebranded as Perfect Day. The pandemic interrupted what was expected to be the initial new development ramp up year, but it became a heavily trafficked destination since, to now include Celebrity on a regular bases. Ongoing work continued this past year. We have also been there four times since the restart. 

Labadee was acquired by lease in 1985, and has been an active port of call private destination since. It also was very sparsely developed initially, but has had continued development over the years.  Our first visit there also was in 1992 and we have been there many times since.  But it was no more or no less a destination than CocoCay.  CocoCay was always enjoyable as a modestly developed deserted island beach day, with ongoing improvements up to the 2019 build up. 

In other words they were both active private destination ports of calls for about 35+ years, which I can confirm from multiple visits to both over the past 32 years of our cruising career.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, kittyraptors said:

Thank you! Do you know when they stop serving food? That is mostly what I am wondering. 

I think they start closing up the buffet and snack shacks around 230 and completely closed up by 3 pm.    

You may want to check out the adult only beach area called The Hideaway.   More of a party atmosphere with live DJ.  

There is a charge that varies per cruise.  I've seen anywhere from $15 to $45.   Different food options there too

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

When did CocoCay open?
May 2019

As I just posted, CocoCay was first leased in 1988 and opened and named as such shortly after. But it became Perfect Day in 2019, as you mention.

However, you are incorrect in your assertion of there only being very few stops there before the pier was built. There were hundreds of tendered stops at CocoCay prior to the pier as it was an ongoing regular itinerary port of call for a number of RCCL ships since it opened 35+ yeas ago.

• Like 1