Baltimore

6 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey guys, will be goin on the Vision, next March out of Baltimore, an am wonderin, the dock there, will there be more than one ship in there?

No, it can only accommodate one ship at a time. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We've been out of Baltimore at least 15 times.  Easy port but can only accommodate one ship at a time.  We're going again in 28 days.  Love Baltimore but our last cruise was a  b2b was out of Norfolk in April due to the bridge issue.  Anyway, probably the easiest, most convenient port there is.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

Make sure you are on the starboard (right) side of the ship during sail-away.  You'll get a nice view of Ft McHenry.  And about the time of early dining, you'll pass under the Bay Bridge (with just a few feet to spare).  And its magical sailing down the bay and seeing the lights from the little port towns in the distance.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MD_Dan said:

Make sure you are on the starboard (right) side of the ship during sail-away.  You'll get a nice view of Ft McHenry.  And about the time of early dining, you'll pass under the Bay Bridge (with just a few feet to spare).  And its magical sailing down the bay and seeing the lights from the little port towns in the distance.

Last year, I was visiting one of those little port towns that you mention, and I saw a cruise ship sailing by on the Chesapeake Bay. I'll go ahead and say it, despite being on vacation myself, I was jealous of those passengers! Cruising is my favorite vacation!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

Make sure you are on the starboard (right) side of the ship during sail-away.  You'll get a nice view of Ft McHenry. 

Fort McHenry is on the port (left) side when leaving the Maryland Cruise Terminal.

You'll be the only ship in port, but the parking lot will be full.  You'll have to wait in idle after entering until the disembarking passengers from the previous sailing drive off.

RC and Carnival, and very occasionally NCL, all use the Port of Baltimore, but schedule their cruises so they are never in port on the same day. And they all use separate parking areas.

I agree about watching for Fort McHenry (port side).  And for many years we placed ourselves on a high deck in order to watch as we sailed under the Key Bridge.  It always looked like we were too high to go under.  When we sailed in June, with the bridge gone, it was very emotional seeing the extent of the damage.

25 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

You'll be the only ship in port, but the parking lot will be full.  You'll have to wait in idle after entering until the disembarking passengers from the previous sailing drive off.

I can see that happening if you arrive at port before 10 am.  

We have done both self park at the lot or a park n stay at a hotel with shuttle to the port.

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I can see that happening if you arrive at port before 10 am.  

We have done both self park at the lot or a park n stay at a hotel with shuttle to the port.

They won't allow you into the lot at 10am.  I've arrived at 11;00-11:15 and have had to sit in my car for an hour waiting.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

They won't allow you into the lot at 10am.  I've arrived at 11;00-11:15 and have had to sit in my car for an hour waiting.

Wow, we never had to sit that long.  We drive up, drop off our luggage, park and go right in majority of our time.

We either arrive just after 10 am or wait until noonish.   

I guess 11 am is prime arrival time and the reason for back up.  I see that a lot at cape liberty.  

Nowadays we prefer to board around 1 pm when cabins are usually ready.

Edited by Sunshine3601

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Wow, we never had to sit that long.  We drive up, drop off our luggage, park and go right in majority of our time.

We either arrive just after 10 am or wait until noonish.   

I guess 11 am is prime arrival time and the reason for back up.  I see that a lot at cape liberty.  

Nowadays we prefer to board around 1 pm when cabins are usually ready.

Ah, I've only sailed Carnival out of Baltimore.  Their return to the port of Baltimore isn't until 10 am.  Hence the later hours.

Great port and cheap parking. We drive there once a year for 12 night cruise to Southern Caribbean.

Aside from that cruise with bridge accident when we returned to Norfolk no issues at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

That is not the norm. Most cars from the previous sailing are long gone by 9AM. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That is not the norm. Most cars from the previous sailing are long gone by 9AM. 

Agree.  The times we've sailed from Baltimore we arrived early, parked, went through check in, and were boarding by 11. Just our experience.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

And for many years we placed ourselves on a high deck in order to watch as we sailed under the Key Bridge.  It always looked like we were too high to go under.  When we sailed in June, with the bridge gone, it was very emotional seeing the extent of the damage.

March 2022 from Enchantment Concierge Lounge.

Will be interesting when sailing December 2024 on Vision.

IMG_2995.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Actually, the gate opens around 930.  We've been there every trip before 11.

Edited by BND

15 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

Hey MD Dan, got a cabin on the starboard side, so will have to watch for the ft. Never had been to Baltimore to sailaway from, all new.

9 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey MD Dan, got a cabin on the starboard side, so will have to watch for the ft. Never had been to Baltimore to sailaway from, all new.

Ft McHenry is on the port side when leaving the cruise terminal.

• Like 1