How's the buffet food?

4 hours ago, Vagabond Knight said:

I cannot address dinner since we don't go to the buffet for dinner, but I've heard positive reviews from others. We've been on Celebrity and three other cruise lines in the past year and in general, breakfast and lunch are very good and much better than most of the other lines. The breakfast exception is probably if you want an egg over medium because you always seem to end up with overcooked yolks or runny whites. One area of breakfast that we really enjoy is the having the option of an English breakfast with grilled tomato, sauteed mushrooms, bangers, rashers and fried bread. We've found a number of yummy lunch options and in particular we've had some excellent Indian dishes. The Asian area used to be a favorite as well, but we didn't find it to be quite as good recently as it's been in the past. Probably the most disappointing area of the buffet for us is the baked dessert area since the lovely cakes and pastries never seem to taste as good as they look. The cake portion is often dry and the fillings often have an odd and unappetizing consistency. The stuff that looks like it should have a deep chocolate taste is often rather tasteless. Maybe that's good in that it keeps me from eating too much dessert!  In general though, we're pretty happy with the food at the breakfast and lunch buffets and can always find plenty of good stuff..

Seating can be an issue at breakfast on port days and pretty much all the time at lunch. Some people tend to use the area for cards and other games, reading, or just hanging out (possibly those not in balcony cabins?), which doesn't help.  Once people can go onshore on port days it clears out quickly. Fortunately, we've never had anyone turn us down when seating was tight and we've asked to join them, and we've never turned anyone else away either.

The English breakfast items were surprisingly good.  The bangers were very much like the ones you find in the UK.  We will be in Aqua class for our cruise on the Solstice.  I hope I will be able to get them in Blu.

23 minutes ago, George C said:

We had 50 plus days over a hundred in Dallas last year, but every place you go is air conditioned not so for other areas of the country and world. 

Lived in Texas too, twice.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, michri said:

The English breakfast items were surprisingly good.  The bangers were very much like the ones you find in the UK.  We will be in Aqua class for our cruise on the Solstice.  I hope I will be able to get them in Blu.

You will have to go to the Buffet to get your bangers.  None in Blu.  

30 minutes ago, omahabob said:

I lived there for four years. Never had much problem with heat, except in the winter.

I'm from the UK and lived there most my life.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

I'm from the UK and lived there most my life.

We were in Suffolk. Didn't really have a problem keeping the house cool in summer, but it was somewhat difficult to warm it in winter without central heat. That improved when we got cavity wall insulation and double glazed windows.

Edited by omahabob

On 7/21/2024 at 11:15 AM, mkcurran said:

Going on the Reflection to the ABCs next year. We are not dressy people, so we are wanting to know how the food is on the buffet for dinner. 

Do they severe prime rib there on formal nights? What about lobster?

I've seen pictures, and it looks like a nice spread. But pictures aren't everything.

Do you have a favorite buffet dish?

Thanks!

While we never ate there on our two cruises (Solstice and Edge), we did notice at breakfast and lunch they were very Indian and Asian heavy on the food.  You could still find American.  The quality was pretty good I thought for a buffet, but on our two cruises it seemed like they did not rotate the offerings out.  Perhaps at night they do.

6 hours ago, hcat said:

But why not welcome others?   

No need to be best friends but at least share space! Its only for lunch!

4 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Because some people just feel entitled. Many times I find a spot at a high top table not the most comfortable for me to get up and down as I have an ankle injury but there's no where else to sit.  One of the many reasons I avoid buffets but at times there's no other choice. MDR is closed on port days.

Because some of us are extremely

introverted in person and sharing a table causes anxiety.

Like I said, I’m far more likely to take my food to my cabin if it is super crowded.

I guess I spent too much time in Europe, especially Germany. An empty spot at a large table is an "Ist hier frei?" opportunity. Sometimes the beginning of a great conversation.

• Like 1

The buffet has great Asian and Indian food. It probably has other food, but that's where I head every time. And it's not the same everyday either. The Indian is probably mostly Northern Indian but they do usually have some Southern Indian (mostly vegetarian) dishes as well.

Agree the pizza is iffy. But I've always been able to find something for lunch. I don't know that we've ever tried dinner at the OVC. If we were coming back late from port we were usually eating in the port.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Because some of us are extremely

introverted in person and sharing a table causes anxiety.

Like I said, I’m far more likely to take my food to my cabin if it is super crowded.

Understandable. I'm the opposite. I talk to everyone and anyone. If they're not interested in conversation that's ok, I can move on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

Understandable. I'm the opposite. I talk to everyone and anyone. If they're not interested in conversation that's ok, I can move on. 

The issue is that on sea days, the buffet was jam packed.  I found it selfish that an individual was sitting alone at a table for 6 and would not share the end of the table.  It was obvious that many of us were walking around looking for a place to sit.  I cannot figure out why someone who  apparently wants to be alone would dine in a crowded buffet, never mind at a table for 6 when there were singles available.  When we are at a table for 4, we will ask others if they would like to join us.  

Solution:  We ended up leaving and having an enjoyable lunch at Eden.

3 minutes ago, keesar said:

The issue is that on sea days, the buffet was jam packed.  I found it selfish that an individual was sitting alone at a table for 6 and would not share the end of the table.  It was obvious that many of us were walking around looking for a place to sit.  I cannot figure out why someone who  apparently wants to be alone would dine in a crowded buffet, never mind at a table for 6 when there were singles available.  When we are at a table for 4, we will ask others if they would like to join us.  

Solution:  We ended up leaving and having an enjoyable lunch at Eden.

In January 2018 fell and broke ankle needed surgery. Later that year was able to cruise went solo but had a cane. Left a drink and beach bag at a table while getting food at buffet. Came back to find an entitled couple sitting there who had pushed my belongings aside. Said its their table now never even asked if I wanted a seat. A waiter got me a seat elsewhere. I've encountered a lot of rudeness on cruises.  Just blows my mind. 

Back to the buffet food...You may not like or try everything, but there is always a good selection..Different themes each day, greek, mediterranean, UK fish n chips day, Jamaican, etc...Never have I had anything terrible on any X ship....Overall I'd rate their buffets an 8 outta 10....

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Hawkstar33 said:

Back to the buffet food...You may not like or try everything, but there is always a good selection..Different themes each day, greek, mediterranean, UK fish n chips day, Jamaican, etc...Never have I had anything terrible on any X ship....Overall I'd rate their buffets an 8 outta 10....

That would be a great Barstool pizza 🍕 rating. 

Surely, you cannot rate the pizza as being  even close to an 8.  I found the weakest foods as being pizza and the cake desserts.

Favorites include the ethnic foods, carving stations, and the fruit/salad bars.  

On 7/22/2024 at 9:07 AM, DaKahuna said:

I find the indian curries too mild.  I did the Taj Experience and actually found one dish that was too spicy for me, then again I did manage to finish all of it.  My DW does not do spicy food so I was having both portions of most stuff. 

The one improvement I would really like to see is offering potato bread for the hamburger buns. The buns they have in the buffet tend to dry out quickly and simply fall apart before you can finish the burger.  

Hi Kahuna,

Occasionally, there is a fresh roasted turkey at the carving station.

Being its just my wife and I at home we hardly ever get that.

For us , that is a real treat.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, drakes2 said:

You don't want to be in Canada right now.... its 85 friggin degrees and we're dying with the heat. I never understood why some Americans think this is a cold country.

Only in the winter, eh ?

Hope it cools down for you soon .

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

In January 2018 fell and broke ankle needed surgery. Later that year was able to cruise went solo but had a cane. Left a drink and beach bag at a table while getting food at buffet. Came back to find an entitled couple sitting there who had pushed my belongings aside. Said its their table now never even asked if I wanted a seat. A waiter got me a seat elsewhere. I've encountered a lot of rudeness on cruises.  Just blows my mind. 

Some people have no manners.

That was very sad what they did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

The issue is that on sea days, the buffet was jam packed.  I found it selfish that an individual was sitting alone at a table for 6 and would not share the end of the table.

You don't need his permission to sit there. Sit anyway, and enjoy your meal. If that doesn't suit his temperament he can move.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tscoffey said:

You don't need his permission to sit there. Sit anyway, and enjoy your meal. If that doesn't suit his temperament he can move.

Good idea. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tscoffey said:

I might ask if anyone else is coming to sit down..that seems nice enough..if no, I’m sitting if the place is packed.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tscoffey said:

Agreed, appropriate question: “is anyone sitting there?” and if the answer is no the seat is available. 

Edited by IDL