WS GTY & Royal Up

Hey fellow cruisers!

Looking for some help for an upcoming cruise. We are currently in a suite guarantee without an assigned room, yet.

I am well aware that I am 99.9% getting a Jr suite once a room is assigned, especially if those in Jr suites are bidding on upgrades.

I'd like to get some clarity on a couple things.

1. Once a room number is assigned, does that remove my ability to bid on royal up offers? 

2. Does bidding on my current royal up offers (without a room assignment) reduce that 0.01% chance to be placed in a room beyond Jr suite?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience! 

7 minutes ago, Floating Lanai said:

Hey fellow cruisers!

Looking for some help for an upcoming cruise. We are currently in a suite guarantee without an assigned room, yet.

I am well aware that I am 99.9% getting a Jr suite once a room is assigned, especially if those in Jr suites are bidding on upgrades.

1. Once a room number is assigned, does that remove my ability to bid on royal up offers? 

2. Does bidding on my current royal up offers (without a room assignment) reduce that 0.01% chance to be placed in a room beyond Jr suite?

Bidding is handled by a separate company from what I know and doesnt change anything. Your cabin assignment wouldnt be affected. You can still bid even if assigned. 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Floating Lanai said:

Wait till 45 days out,check in and you’ll probably find out your cabin assignment (via the SetSail pass barcode trick).  Then decide if the Royal Up is worth it - unlikely the RU wins will be handed out before then. Your cabin assignment status makes no diff for RU eligibility. 

Edited by Biker19

20 minutes ago, Floating Lanai said:

Hey fellow cruisers!

Once you have your cabin assigned, you should still be able to bid.  People have reported that after their cabin was assigned, the bids that they submitted prior to their assignment were canceled and they were able to bid again.  That was not my experience with a WS GTY, though it was pre-covid, and things could be fixed now.  I was assigned a 2 BD GS but had made bids on a GS and OS since I figured I would be assigned a JS as is what usually happens.  I was able to cancel my bids myself but was nervous I would still "win" a cabin that was now a smaller suite than the one we had been assigned with our GTY.  We will not bid on Royal Up anymore prior to being assigned our GTY cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Wait till 45 days out,check in and you’ll probably find out your cabin assignment (via the SetSail pass barcode trick).  Then decide if the Royal Up is worth it - unlikely the RU wins will be handed out before then. Your cabin assignment status makes no diff for RU eligibility. 

We are now inside 30 days 

😬

I paid for the suite guarantee upgrade from a balcony room at day 30. 

My royal up offers have been updated reflected the new room categories, so just trying to determine how I manage my options.

Thanks so much! 

1 minute ago, Floating Lanai said:

My royal up offers have been updated reflected the new room categories, so just trying to determine how I manage my options.

Your SetSail pass should update soon, if not already, and the barcode trick should work. 

@Floating Lanai, have you called to see if your suite has been assigned yet or are you just assuming that it hasn’t been assigned b/c nothing has updated on your booking ?

I had some rather fortunate luck recently with a suite guarantee.  I noticed that the price for a J3 had fallen below what I paid for the guarantee so I called to have my booking repriced with an assigned JS.  The agent that I spoke with informed me that he could not change my booking b/c my suite had already been assigned.  I asked him what had been assigned and he told me the suite (it was a J3).  The J3 that we had been assigned was way at the back of the ship so I asked if it would be possible, since it had now been assigned, to switch to a different J3 that was closer to the elevators.  After a short hold (he had to ask Revenue to make the reservation “permanent” although I’m sure that term is not correct) he came back with a confirmed J3 of our choice.  

So I recommend that you call, tell them that you’re considering upgrading the booking (even if you’re not considering upgrading) and see if you can get them to confirm whether or not your guarantee has been assigned and perhaps find out which suite you have been assigned.  It worked for me and my sailing isn’t until Jan 2025 !

Posted (edited)

Here's a strange one:  Our Icon cruise is Sept 14th.  My DD and her hubs are linked with our rez. and when I pull up My Cruises I can see theirs also.  So today I look and they are already being offered the Royal up but we are not!  Since it's still over 30 days out it really surprised me.  We are in an interior so we'd be interested but I checked and we're still not eligible.  They are in a regular Ocean View Balcony.  This is a new one for us.  Anybody had this happen?  These aren't GTYs.

Edited by BecciBoo

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Since it's still over 30 days out it really surprised me.

RU offers can come anytime inside final payment. RCI and Plusgrade may be experimenting on offers though an IT screw is possible as well.

We booked a WS GTY for 3 people for our January 2025 sailing on Wonder. I'm planning to wait until our room is assigned before bidding, in the very unlikely event that we're assigned to something higher than a JS. If our room hasn't been assigned by our final payment date, I'll try the barcode trick.

• Like 1

Perhaps RU is offered to Balcony staterooms before opening up to Insides and Ocean Views.

I am new to this.  We have 3 staterooms booked and are linked together.  The cruise is past final payment, I believe.  Final to our Travel Agent was on 7/8.  Cruise beings on 10/6.

Since I booked with a TA, will I get a Royal Up offer?  Where should I look on the  My Cruises page for RU offers?

Posted (edited)

We checked in today and Royal Up email came at 18:30. Our group are split between 2 x interior GTY and an Ocean view.

We didn't use a TA.

Edited by Occi

We're 60 days out in an Ocean View GTY room and have already received an email for the Royal Up bids. So I guess there is no rhyme or reason as to who gets the offers, how many days out and what category you have booked. I'll wait until they assign my room before thinking about it.

Posted (edited)

Buying your cruise travel though certain website and retail sellers of cruises are allowed to do Royal Up bidding.

My gallant attempt not to be jailed.

Edited by neverbeenhere

2 hours ago, bluewater1298 said:

We're 60 days out in an Ocean View GTY room and have already received an email for the Royal Up bids. So I guess there is no rhyme or reason as to who gets the offers, how many days out and what category you have booked. I'll wait until they assign my room before thinking about it.

Pretty much everybody does, unless you purchased through an agency with contractual issues that preclude this scheme, or you are already in a top level suite with nothing to upgrade to. 

15 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Thank you.  I checked the link and entered my information. Says I have to wait to submit within 30 days out.

😔

One of my bookings will not allow me to see any RU even though I AM within 30 days of my cruise.  Sometimes I have to put in my husband's name rather than my own, but even that isn't working this time.  No idea why we're being denied but it would probably be a waste of time anyway since all of the suites appear to be booked.  We're in a JS....I'll be happy enough with that.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Thank you.  I checked the link and entered my information. Says I have to wait to submit within 30 days out.

Yes, it regularly says that. At some point you will likely receive an email inviting you to participate. Remember that this doesn’t come from RCI it comes from a company called plusgrade, although that isn’t particularly obvious! That company runs similar programmes for a whole host of other cruiselines, airlines and hotels.

I just “won” one last week for a Virgin Voyages (same contractor) for a cruise in September. It’s all a bit of a lottery and not a planning strategy for something you either want or need. 

Very often, what is “offered” isn’t ever available. It is only the unsold or returned inventory that is selectively made available to the programme that MIGHT  be available at a given point in time.

There are potential downsides to even successful bids, so it’s important to understand that you are entering into a blind but binding contract if you do “win.” However, there is the possibility of getting much better accommodation at a much cheaper price than if you had booked that accommodation at a firm price beforehand, (although not always.) 

Edited by Jetdriver787

On 7/21/2024 at 6:45 PM, Biker19 said:

What is the barcode trick?  I booked a Suite Guarantee for a sailing at the end of September so I don't expect to get an assignment anytime soon.  When I look at the app, it shows Deluxe/Suites guarantee.  Is this where I'll see our cabin assignment once it's given?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MartinsCruise said:

Is this where I'll see our cabin assignment once it's given?

Yes.

At 45 days out when you check in, the SetSail pass will have a barcode. When you decode that, the last 4 or 5 digits is your likely cabin assignment.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1