Carnival Corporation Orders Three Additional Ships for Carnival Cruise Line, Introducing a New Class of Ships

To reinforce that the Caribbean will be dominated by mega liners and that it will be dominated by private islands and line owned ports, RCCL's new 2nd largest cruise ship in the world (only a little less ugly than Oasis) Utopia, is doing 3 and 4 day cruises and adding two stops to their private island on the same cruise.  If this does not set the bar, then I do not know what will.

11 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I doubt Carnival Corp is looking for head to head competition among Carnival brands more than they already do. It makes sense to move some ships away from the Caribbean for hurricane season.

I do agree....

11 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Actually the bathrooms on NCL's Prima Class and bathrooms on any Royal ship are decently sized, unlike the Excel class or cousin ships in the Virgin fleet. Celebrity's Edge class have very nice bathrooms in their standard cabins. 

The standard cabin bathrooms on the Carnival fleet pre Excel Class were always horrid: cheap ugly plastic without a hint of real tile and even up to the Panorama had a shower curtains instead of glass doors. At least aesthetically the Excel class bathrooms look new, modern, and have that great pivoting glass shower door. Too bad they're so small!

Our cabin on Oasis had the sink outside the bathroom.  Celebrity is also really small.  They (excel) are small (except suites).  Aft Excel was larger than any other we have had (including Captains suites).

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Our cabin on Oasis had the sink outside the bathroom.

Are you sure you don't mean NCL's one and only Epic, which split up the cabin bathroom to 3 separate components with the sink out in the room? I don't know of any Royal Caribbean ship that has a bathroom sink in the cabin itself.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

Just now, kwokpot said:

Are you sure you don't mean NCL's one and only Epic, which split up their bathroom s to 3 separate components with the sink out in the room? I don't know of any Royal Caribbean ship that has a bathroom sink in the cabin itself.

Never been on Epic.  I could be wrong.  We were a connecting cabin with our daughter and her family in a suite.  The connecting door changed the layout as I remember, but it was year 2 of Oasis.

I personally am not shocked with multiple orders by the time the last of these orders sails the Sunshine will be close to 40 years old even with a re-fit its still pushing it especially when you have newer ships sailing the same routes for only a little more $. Replacing this and others that received the Sunshine treatment (or even some of the conquest ships) has to come at some point.

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Further east than the ABC's?

I assume jeblack1 was referring to the more southern of the Leeward Islands. Such as St. Lucia and Barbados. Do cruise ships ever call at Tobago? I don't recall seeing that as a destination for a big ship cruise line..

15 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I assume jeblack1 was referring to the more southern of the Leeward Islands. Such as St. Lucia and Barbados. Do cruise ships ever call at Tobago? I don't recall seeing that as a destination for a big ship cruise line..

Makes sense.  Maybe some time ago, they make have gone there, but not a great place to go even on a journey, and just got moved up the watch list.  Thanks for the reply.

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

To reinforce that the Caribbean will be dominated by mega liners and that it will be dominated by private islands and line owned ports, RCCL's new 2nd largest cruise ship in the world (only a little less ugly than Oasis) Utopia, is doing 3 and 4 day cruises and adding two stops to their private island on the same cruise.  If this does not set the bar, then I do not know what will.

Betting so much on a port or two, when hurricanes seem to be growing stronger seems risky. If a port gets taken out for an extended period, there is no place else to go.

13 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Estimates, you can keep positing these non specific numbers but you and I both know that it will be defined when they actually do the specs for the ships.  Until that time it is fluff.

I knew you couldn’t do it. Lol

8 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Betting so much on a port or two, when hurricanes seem to be growing stronger seems risky. If a port gets taken out for an extended period, there is no place else to go.

In Royal Caribbean's case, they are doing the 2 stops at Coco Cay because they have dropped their other private port of Labadee until they feel the political situation in Haiti has improved. If something happens at Coco Cay, then they'd have to work on something else,  but odds are that would be a couple weeks of switched up itineraries at most. Ports getting knocked out of commission for long periods is pretty rare, it's amazing to me how quickly some of these places can bounce back after a major storm goes through. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DanJ said:

In Royal Caribbean's case, they are doing the 2 stops at Coco Cay because they have dropped their other private port of Labadee until they feel the political situation in Haiti has improved. If something happens at Coco Cay, then they'd have to work on something else,  but odds are that would be a couple weeks of switched up itineraries at most. Ports getting knocked out of commission for long periods is pretty rare, it's amazing to me how quickly some of these places can bounce back after a major storm goes through. 

IT is amazing to me they would have the guts to take people back to the place they just left.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

IT is amazing to me they would have the guts to take people back to the place they just left.

I think you'll find that a large percentage of these customers want to go back.

I don't get it - but the market seems to love floating amusement parks that go island amusement parks.

15 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

WOW! Seriously?

13 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

that is correct....I think Carnival used to have an itinerary that left from San Juan, and spent a day in each island and if my memory serves correctly, you would then start another cruise in reverse.

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

I think you'll find that a large percentage of these customers want to go back.

I don't get it - but the market seems to love floating amusement parks that go island amusement parks.

I agree.  I would rather have a tooth filled than go to an amusement park.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, jeblack1 said:

that is correct....I think Carnival used to have an itinerary that left from San Juan, and spent a day in each island and if my memory serves correctly, you would then start another cruise in reverse.

You may be right.

1 hour ago, jsglow said:

WOW! Seriously?

I saw it post, someone said because they had re-routed some cruises from their other private island, but it is telling of the times, no matter what the reason.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I agree.  I would rather have a tooth filled than go to an amusement park.

I even like amusement parks... but it ain't what I cruise for.

I have not read all 8 pages - but I have to wonder if this new ship class, with all its additional space, will have any of the following:

> Suite "area" (lounge and/or dining)

> Diamond lounge

> Or, at least, COFFEE MAKERS in the suites... lol

It's going to be interesting as the details start to emerge. 🙂 

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2024 at 9:26 PM, BlerkOne said:

Over 30 billion in debt and the need to reduce costs at a time when few people were cruising.

Glad someone mentioned this, 30 Billion in debt having to live on a credit card through COVID and they have financing for these new ships.