Shorts vs. Pants: Why the Debate? Are Pants Really That Challenging?

I already know I'll probably get it from the shorts brigade in the comments, but oh well—it is a short post after all! 🤣

I am always surprised but also amused by the prevalent question of 'Can I wear shorts to dinner?' which is often followed by comments like 'Who cares what others think?' or 'It's my vacation, and I'll do what I want.' This disregard for basic guidelines and disrespect for others is increasingly common. It overlooks why others might have chosen a particular restaurant, place, or experience. This self-centered mindset will persist until every experience is diminished, where every nice restaurant resembles a Golden Corral, and date night becomes picking out your favorite Costco shorts and ironic T-shirt. 

You may want to dress down and be ready at all times to chase the ice creanm truck, but it isn't just about you. Guest attire can elevate or diminish the experience of others who have chosen and paid for a cruise or an experience. Seeing someone dressed like they're ready to order at McDonald's can be disappointing. If youdisliek the posdte dress code and must remain in shorts there are certainly other areas with out such dress codes that will acomidate you with soem good food , crayons and menu you can color on. 

Let's be honest, no one wants to see your bony, hairy legs at a nice dinner. If you are old enough to vote, then fight your inner manchild and wear pants to dinner! Your partner is likely dressing nicely, spending time doing their hair, putting on makeup, and sporting bling—so just throw on some dang pants for an hour! And it should go without saying, but please spare those around you from wearing man sandals or flip flops with your caterpillar toes and talons showing. Yes, women wear open-toed shoes, but they also get pedicures and paint their nails. Men in sandals look like they could use thier toenails to open boxes at UPS.

Even king of the manchild Charlie Harper, who wore nothing but shorts on 'Two and a Half Men,' put on pants when going out to dinner!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Love it!

Agree 100% but this is debated in many forums here on CC.

This topic meets with why we don't discuss religion or politics.

• Like 3

I long ago stopped worrying about what other people do since I have absolutely no control over it at all. I focus on the one person that I can control- myself.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

I already know I'll probably get it from the shorts brigade in the comments, but oh well—it is a short post after all! 🤣

I am always surprised but also amused by the prevalent question of 'Can I wear shorts to dinner?' which is often followed by comments like 'Who cares what others think?' or 'It's my vacation, and I'll do what I want.' This disregard for basic guidelines and disrespect for others is increasingly common. It overlooks why others might have chosen a particular restaurant, place, or experience. This self-centered mindset will persist until every experience is diminished, where every nice restaurant resembles a Golden Corral, and date night becomes picking out your favorite Costco shorts and ironic T-shirt. 

You may want to dress down and be ready at all times to chase the ice creanm truck, but it isn't just about you. Guest attire can elevate or diminish the experience of others who have chosen and paid for a cruise or an experience. Seeing someone dressed like they're ready to order at McDonald's can be disappointing. If youdisliek the posdte dress code and must remain in shorts there are certainly other areas with out such dress codes that will acomidate you with soem good food , crayons and menu you can color on. 

Let's be honest, no one wants to see your bony, hairy legs at a nice dinner. If you are old enough to vote, then fight your inner manchild and wear pants to dinner! Your partner is likely dressing nicely, spending time doing their hair, putting on makeup, and sporting bling—so just throw on some dang pants for an hour! And it should go without saying, but please spare those around you from wearing man sandals or flip flops with your caterpillar toes and talons showing. Yes, women wear open-toed shoes, but they also get pedicures and paint their nails. Men in sandals look like they could use thier toenails to open boxes at UPS.

Even king of the manchild Charlie Harper, who wore nothing but shorts on 'Two and a Half Men,' put on pants when going out to dinner!

Yoy forgot the most important thing: leave your cap in the cabin when you shall eat dinner!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I don't ask whether I can wear shorts I just do should the mood hit me. So far no objection from the people who run the boat. Should the sight of my legs cause anxiety, consternation or a case of the vapors among aging and overbearing matrons they are encouraged to dine at the buffet.

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

My BF may wear shorts to dinner when I take him on his first cruise...NCL allows him to do that and I don't care. If that's what he wants to do. I will probably pick one night to dress to the nines in a full on gown like the formal nights of yore. Won't we be a sight...me in a gown and him in a pair of shorts. Doesn't change the fact that we are on a cruise, relaxing and making memories and enjoying our time together. Really, what more could you want from a vacation?

As my sister always says...you do you.

Edited by olemissreb
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Also, I am mainly referring to when a place like a specialty restaurant or main dining room has a posted dress code and people just don't want to follow it. And not talking suit here, just pants and a decent shirt!

Edited by VelvetSkeeter
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, olemissreb said:

My BF may wear shorts to dinner when I take him on his first cruise...NCL allows him to do that and I don't care. If that's what he wants to do. I will probably pick one night to dress to the nines in a full on gown like the formal nights of yore. Won't we be a sight...me in a gown and him in a pair of shorts. Doesn't change the fact that we are on a cruise, relaxing and making memories and enjoying our time together. Really, what more could you want from a vacation?

Yes, it is funny seeing a woman looking all nice and done up sitting right next to their significant other looking like he came from the ball game. I just think the guy should do a little to complement the effort. Not talking a suit here, just pants and shirt! 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, runner15km said:

It falls on the cruise line for enforcement. Would it help if one dining room was for anything goes and one for people who would adhere to the guidelines. 

They would still have folks asking why they can't wear shorts. That is my point: even when a dress code is posted, they get their shorts in a bunch over why they can't wear them or wear them anyway vs just grabbing a pair and putting them for an hour. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

If you want to ruin your cruise over this issue, you are welcome to do it.

(Note I have never worn shorts to dinner on a cruise.)

Never ruins my cruise. I've already been on three in the past 13 months, with another one coming up!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, K32682 said:

I don't ask whether I can wear shorts I just do should the mood hit me. So far no objection from the people who run the boat. Should the sight of my legs cause anxiety, consternation or a case of the vapors among aging and overbearing matrons they are encouraged to dine at the buffet.

It works the other way around.—if there's a posted dress code and you just can't respect it, fearing the world would miss out on the sight of your amazingly hot legs, then you are encouraged to go to the buffet where there's no dress code. It works that way, not the other way \m/ \m/

Edited by VelvetSkeeter
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

All jokes aside, sometimes it's entertaining to spot the mismatched: beautiful, thoughtfully dressed women paired with the no-effort, no-style man in shorts. Can make it a game, like a scavenger hunt!🤣 

(just talking at places with posted dress codes) 

Edited by VelvetSkeeter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

“Clothes make the man” was always true - and is true today.

Sadly, fewer and fewer Americans understand that today.

The majority now dress as if they are going to clean the garage or attend a baseball game, no matter where are really going.

This trend will change - but probably for the worse.

You can complain and hit your head against the wall forever. You and I are not going to change it.

I finally moved to a more sophisticated country where I rarely have to see it or get upset about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There is a hidden positive aspect in the current trend of shabby dress on mass market cruise ships.

We have always had a problem with crewmembers who want to visit passenger areas in their street clothes.

This is a big No-No on nearly every ship.

In recent years it has become far easier to catch misbehaving crew.

When out of uniform, they generally dress better than the passengers, making it far easier for Management to spot them.

• Haha 1

All the cruises we have been on and I don't remember what anyone else wore to dinner.  We have MTD which is usually a table for two crammed really close to other tables for two.  When we are seated I am busy looking at the menu and really don't notice what other people walking by are wearing.  I have never crawled under the table to look at people's legs to see if I need to be offended.  In a perfect world everyone would follow the rules I care about (pants vs shorts is not one of them).  Alas, not everyone follows all the rules all the time.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

Yes, it is funny seeing a woman looking all nice and done up sitting right next to their significant other looking like he came from the ball game. I just think the guy should do a little to complement the effort. Not talking a suit here, just pants and shirt! 😉

It may be funny, but if that's what my guy wants to do, then I'm ok with it. He is who he is and I'm not about to change him. He does dress up when the situation requires it, so he's not a total redneck. 😂 He does have some nice golf  shorts, though, that he wears with a polo shirt which is proper attire for football games in The Grove, so he doesn't really look like he just came from a ball game.

Edited by olemissreb

2 hours ago, olemissreb said:

Yes, I just love NCL's non-dress code.I basically wore tie dye tee-shirts on our Prima London (Southampton) to Reykjavik cruise last summer. NCL did not care and as far as I could tell no passenger was offended.

It did spoil me for out river cruise this past Spring when I learned I had to wear collared shirts to dinner.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, I just love NCL's non-dress code.I basically wore tie dye tee-shirts on our Prima London (Southampton) to Reykjavik cruise last summer. NCL did not care and as far as I could tell no passenger was offended.

It did spoil me for out river cruise this past Spring when I learned I had to wear collared shirts to dinner.

Actually on one of our NCL cruises, my 12 year old was questioned about his age in the larger MDR (he’s tall). He was allowed to enter wearing shorts because of his age. Pants required.

3 hours ago, olemissreb said:

ATTA GIRL!!

2 hours ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

It works the other way around.—if there's a posted dress code and you just can't respect it, fearing the world would miss out on the sight of your amazingly hot legs, then you are encouraged to go to the buffet where there's no dress code. It works that way, not the other way \m/ \m/

If the cruise line doesn't care enough about it's "posted dress code" to enforce it then I couldn't care less what you think. I am not about to banish myself anywhere to satisfy you. Either put up with my legs or be off with you. 

• Like 1