Tips For New Viking Ocean Cruisers - Vol.2

CILCIANRQTS

Posted (edited)

After 7 years and 2400 replies, it’s time to start fresh:

1. No one will read 2400 postings

2. Few want to download a file that large

3. After 7 years and COVID, much of the posted info no longer applies.

The old thread will still be here for any who do want to wade through it, but hopefully a new thread will be more manageable.

Feel free, mods, to offer a different solution.

Edited by CILCIANRQTS
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 6

13 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

The old thread will still be here for any who do want to wade through it, but hopefully a new thread will be more manageable.

Good move. Thank you.

I used to be part of a thread called "Viking China." It was so long that it, along with a couple of other super-long threads, crippled the server and the mods had to start new threads for the overly long topics. (unfortunately, the thread suffered a natural death a few years after the rescue).

The old thread should be locked; no sense in conversation going on in two places. I have post a link to the new thread and  asked that the old thread be locked.

For those who are interested in Volume 1, here is a link to the first post of 2024:  #2378

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

BTT.

Obviously one needs to prime the pump.

What should we prime it with?

How about some helpful links on the Viking website? The link remains the same only the contents changes as needed.

•  Drinks package: https://cms-assets.viking.com/mar_content/global-brand-identity/Onboard_GuestFacing/US_CORP_SilverSpirits-AllProduct-2023.pdf

•   Prohibited Items: https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/20190826-Prohibited-Item-List.pdf

• Like 1

Download and use the Viking Voyager App.

Download at home.  Connect as soon as you board the ship through the Ship's Wifi.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

After 7 years and 2400 replies, it’s time to start fresh:

1. No one will read 2400 postings

2. Few want to download a file that large

3. After 7 years and COVID, much of the posted info no longer applies.

Feel free, mods, to offer a different solution.

Afraid I’ll have to disagree which I don’t usually do with you!😂.  Now rather than having a single place to send newbies to, there are two so neither will be comprehensive. To me there is so so much good info in the original thread but to each his own.  

I have found when I come across a post of considerable length I usually start at the last post and go backwards. When things become repetitive then I stop or skim.  

39 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Afraid I’ll have to disagree which I don’t usually do with you!😂.  Now rather than having a single place to send newbies to, there are two so neither will be comprehensive. To me there is so so much good info in the original thread but to each his own.  

I have found when I come across a post of considerable length I usually start at the last post and go backwards. When things become repetitive then I stop or skim.  

Not a problem.

Disagreement is essential to a constructive dialog and has worked well on CC, so long as the participants remain civil.

I personally prefer the short and sweet single issue exchanges, rather than long and often meandering threads. ✌️

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

What should we prime it with?

How about some helpful links on the Viking website? The link remains the same only the contents changes as needed.

•  Drinks package: https://cms-assets.viking.com/mar_content/global-brand-identity/Onboard_GuestFacing/US_CORP_SilverSpirits-AllProduct-2023.pdf

•   Prohibited Items: https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/20190826-Prohibited-Item-List.pdf

Feel free to kick it off.

You have a wealth of information to share.

This is a sensible, but daunting task. There is so much to cover! Concise and current information about paid in full dates, booking of excursions, reservations (or not) for restaurants, and onboard entertainment are all musts. What Viking is not is also helpful for those coming from mainstream lines. 

I have learned so much on this site from my first discovery of Cruise Critic. That was after our very first vacation by boat (Viking rivers) and before our first ocean cruise (also Viking, of course). It was a long time between those two, while we waited for a spot on the brand new Viking Star.

One suggestion as we move forward on this new version, is to focus on current information. What Viking (or any other cruise line) was before Covid is not really helpful. The impact of that experience has been significant, but this is the world now. Perhaps five years from now we can start fresh again!

• Like 4

I am incompetent when it comes to posting links.  Could someone add links to:  Chef's Table menus, PV rooms with sliders, and any other great compilations people have made?

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the right place to ask drink questions?

I understand about alcoholic drinks and the drink package.  What I would like to know is whether or not they charge for things like sparkling water, ginger ale, smoothies, lattes, and other non-alcoholic beverages at any time during the day (not asking about what is served with meals).  I'd like to be prepared and I've never sailed on VO before.  

Coffees (except those that contain liquor), tea, hot chocolate are complimentary 24/7. Yes, including lattes. Living Room is my go to bar for any drinks that involve the use of the espresso machine (as the bartenders who work that bar have the most experience).

Everything else you mention is charged outside of meal hours -- and are covered under the drinks package.

Except for those in V cabins, sodas in your minibar are replenished daily and can be consumed anywhere on the ship. Bartenders will supply you with a glass and ice if you ask.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks so much.  Is there a way to get a case of water for our room?  I've done that on other cruise lines but I've also had bottles of water (still and sparkling) as part of a package.

21 minutes ago, MMMCruiser said:

Thanks so much.  Is there a way to get a case of water for our room?  I've done that on other cruise lines but I've also had bottles of water (still and sparkling) as part of a package.

Carafes of water are placed in our cabins twice daily, still, sparkling or both, per our preference.

Bottles of still water are available on the gangway as we depart each day and tour busses always carry bottled water.

That much I can tell you.  I've never asked for a carton of water, so I can't tell you if it is possible to get one.

The carafe of water is there but we often take the offered bottle water when returning from a tour as we head to the room.  

Certainly no need to buy any.  

I concur that the Living Room is the go to place for hot drinks.  Also available in the Explorers Bar. 

Peregrini  I have been on a number of Viking excursions with NO extra water.  I usually grab 2 at the gangway if it is going to be a long hot day.