Sunbed reservation wars spreads.

majortom10

Well it was only a matter of time before reserving of sunbed with towels spreads to other parts of the ship. On QA this afternoon a couple reserved a table for 2 on side of dance floor in Queens Room for afternoon tea. Left obligatory jumpers on chairs at 2-15pm and then disappeared. People were queueing for a table and wife spoke to a waiter and he said he would have a word with his manager. Surprise, surprise nothing was done and then bang on 3pm the said couple returned to their table. I had words with them about reserving a table for over 45 mins when people were queueing and that they should be ashamed by their actions. They tried to make feeble excuse and after involvement of others they grabbed their jumper's and walked out in shame. After they left the waiter came to us and thanked us for our help.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

I had a disagreement with a friend recently about this, on the subject of claiming a table upon entering a restaurant where you order at the counter.  I said it was unfair to people already at the counter; she said they should have claimed a table first.  Personally, I like the less anxious approach of just ordering and then finding a place to sit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I had words with them about reserving a table for over 45 mins when people were queueing and that they should be ashamed by their actions.

Classy-Applause.gif.bab28f0f6b262c656d000f0bd7d39891.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Well it was only a matter of time before reserving of sunbed with towels spreads to other parts of the ship. On QA this afternoon a couple reserved a table for 2 on side of dance floor in Queens Room for afternoon tea. Left obligatory jumpers on chairs at 2-15pm and then disappeared. People were queueing for a table and wife spoke to a waiter and he said he would have a word with his manager. Surprise, surprise nothing was done and then bang on 3pm the said couple returned to their table. I had words with them about reserving a table for over 45 mins when people were queueing and that they should be ashamed by their actions. They tried to make feeble excuse and after involvement of others they grabbed their jumper's and walked out in shame. After they left the waiter came to us and thanked us for our help.

It’s a shame that you had to become the Sheriff of the QR and glad your incident didn’t escalate to become YouTube fodder.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, NE John said:

It’s a shame that you had to become the Sheriff of the QR and glad your incident didn’t escalate to become YouTube fodder.

John,

Doesn't this sound like the Chair Hogs on the open decks with lounges or those holding seats in the Royal Court Theater or the particular seats on the Shore Excursion buses?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NE John said:

It was a case of being forced to do so after very poor response from Cunard. After speaking to waiter who said he would inform his manager never saw anyone approach or do anything about the reserved "clothes" on the table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

The manager should have picked up the garments and put them in the servers' area until a waiter had time to take them to lost and found. 

That is what I expected to happen but unfortunately it didn't.

• Like 3

Or someone could have innocently taken the clothes to the waiter and said that they were “found” and could they be put into the lost and found?

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

The only time 'reserving' is acceptable, and actually a good idea, is at a buffet restaurant - get your table, and then immediately go to the buffet for your food and straight back. Saves wandering round with a full tray looking for seats.  Or if need be one of you sits and waits until the other returns, if you worry about what others might think.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, napria said:

Or someone could have innocently taken the clothes to the waiter and said that they were “found” and could they be put into the lost and found?

I have to admit, I've done that before today. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, lincslady said:

The only time 'reserving' is acceptable, and actually a good idea, is at a buffet restaurant - get your table, and then immediately go to the buffet for your food and straight back. Saves wandering round with a full tray looking for seats.  Or if need be one of you sits and waits until the other returns, if you worry about what others might think.

This is what we do.  It doesn't make for a quality dining experience but it's really the only option if you don't want to be walking around with your hot food looking for somewhere to sit whilst it gets cold.  Difficult for solo diners though.

Sometimes if it's not too busy we just get drinks and lay out our cutlery and then both go for our food.

Edited by CABINET
  • Like 3

Holding a table isn't easy if you're a solo. I don't like reserving a table if getting my food will take a long time. I will get food and wander around at lunch, but at breakfast, I usually get coffee and juice and leave them on the table while I get my breakfast.

I've had my table hijacked (on QV). I returned to my table and two young men were sitting there. My coffee and juice were still on the table! I pointed that out and they just shrugged. When I could not find anywhere to sit, I went back and gave them my plate. "Since you took my table, you may as well have my breakfast, too." I can't tell you what they said because it would get this post deleted.

I should have brought a book to leave, although I'm not sure those [bleeps] would have cared. Next time, I will place items at BOTH seats and leave two books. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Holding a table isn't easy if you're a solo. I don't like reserving a table if getting my food will take a long time. I will get food and wander around at lunch, but at breakfast, I usually get coffee and juice and leave them on the table while I get my breakfast.

I've had my table hijacked (on QV). I returned to my table and two young men were sitting there. My coffee and juice were still on the table! I pointed that out and they just shrugged. When I could not find anywhere to sit, I went back and gave them my plate. "Since you took my table, you may as well have my breakfast, too." I can't tell you what they said because it would get this post deleted.

I should have brought a book to leave, although I'm not sure those [bleeps] would have cared. Next time, I will place items at BOTH seats and leave two books. 

Hi Kathy,

WOW....so sorry that you had to experience that exchange while on a exciting and restful vacation when all on board should be courteous to each other. Even offer to be helpful in some way.

We don't really have any problems on board the Mary 2 during a sailing except for the Kings Court Buffet and the seats on the Shore Excursion buses. I am sorry to even mention the elevators especially when crowds return from Ports and also after the Royal Court shows.

I know we all are suppose to be understanding to each other. Having a full glass of Juice and Coffee with silverware not consumed should show someone maybe in close proximity. I would take it that way. Even the staff didn't remove it as of that time.

In 230 days it will be our turn to sail and exchange the space with all on board and hope things work out.

I thank you for your restrain but is there a real answer...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I like the system Fred Olsen have on the new ships. At breakfast and lunch you are greeted at the entrance by a Maitre D, They direct you to a waiter who shows you to a table in their section. It totally avoids any unpleasantness and is stress free. Nobody can take your table. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Hi Kathy,

WOW....so sorry that you had to experience that exchange while on a exciting and restful vacation when all on board should be courteous to each other. Even offer to be helpful in some way.

We don't really have any problems on board the Mary 2 during a sailing except for the Kings Court Buffet and the seats on the Shore Excursion buses. I am sorry to even mention the elevators especially when crowds return from Ports and also after the Royal Court shows.

I know we all are suppose to be understanding to each other. Having a full glass of Juice and Coffee with silverware not consumed should show someone maybe in close proximity. I would take it that way. Even the staff didn't remove it as of that time.

In 230 days it will be our turn to sail and exchange the space with all on board and hope things work out.

I thank you for your restrain but is there a real answer...

One answer, of course, is the dining room. 

I did complain to a manager. The staff can't doing anything about rude people. But the big problem is that passengers settle down at a table in the buffet and stay there well after finishing their meal. Staff aren't allowed (or willing) to ask them to leave. The manager I spoke to on QV asked me to write a complaint letter to the Hotel director. She said that staff are aware of the people staying too long, but her bosses would pay more attention to a comment from a passenger than from staff. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

One answer, of course, is the dining room. 

I did complain to a manager. The staff can't doing anything about rude people. But the big problem is that passengers settle down at a table in the buffet and stay there well after finishing their meal. Staff aren't allowed (or willing) to ask them to leave. The manager I spoke to on QV asked me to write a complaint letter to the Hotel director. She said that staff are aware of the people staying too long, but her bosses would pay more attention to a comment from a passenger than from staff. 

Kathy,

I understand and really never saw staff intervene in a situation except when they want to finally clean.

I know in our local restaurant, if you stay a table too long the manager would offer you a after dinner drink at the bar cause others are wanting for a table. A shame some fair system can't be thought of to solve this problem.

Next sailing, I am thinking if need to use the buffet to go to Carinthia Lounge instead. Different offerings in small portions but quieter and out of the way. One of our friends that was on when we both were on with you practically enjoyed each breakfast alternate there on a past TA.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

All valid reasons why we would rather skip a meal than set foot in anything remotely "lido" (what do they call it now, "Artisan" something or rather).... I cannot think of anything less congenial or indusive to a holiday at sea than a cafeteria. Having to "save" a table, queue for this and then that, press this or that for coffee, and to have contretemps during it all. No thanks.

I remember years ago we were lost on QM2 (imagine that!) and found ourselves wandering like the other lost souls in "Kings Court" (don't you love it?) and one of the asst. maitre d's from QG was passing by and ran over to us and exclaimed, "What are doing here... are you lost?" He most certainly had a point. We've never gone back. Even if lost. 

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It is all your choice.

It certain is.

Had my 'Artisan' fix last week for my bits and bobs lunch.

Not quite as straightforward now as I had to go to a couple of food stations and yes, wait a few seconds, or queueing if being pedantic, but I managed it very quickly.

Yummy food all on one plate. Yum Yum.😀

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

It certain is.

Had my 'Artisan' fix last week for my bits and bobs lunch.

Not quite as straightforward now as I had to go to a couple of food stations and yes, wait a few seconds, or queueing if being pedantic, but I managed it very quickly.

Yummy food all on one plate. Yum Yum.😀

I thought the "artisan" title on QA was pretentious, but the food was good. And once I knew which stations had what I liked, it was easy to get around. The only thing I found disappointing on QA was the salad bar. Much more variety for a salad lunch on QE and QV. 

And Kings Court... the only polite thing I can think to say is it is not my favorite place on QM2. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I thought the "artisan" title on QA was pretentious, but the food was good. And once I knew which stations had what I liked, it was easy to get around. The only thing I found disappointing on QA was the salad bar. Much more variety for a salad lunch on QE and QV. 

And Kings Court... the only polite thing I can think to say is it is not my favorite place on QM2. 

Liked the served area of Artisan but thought the food repetitive and very smart lunch and dinner with no great variation.

2 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

All valid reasons why we would rather skip a meal than set foot in anything remotely "lido" (what do they call it now, "Artisan" something or rather).... I cannot think of anything less congenial or indusive to a holiday at sea than a cafeteria. Having to "save" a table, queue for this and then that, press this or that for coffee, and to have contretemps during it all. No thanks.

I remember years ago we were lost on QM2 (imagine that!) and found ourselves wandering like the other lost souls in "Kings Court" (don't you love it?) and one of the asst. maitre d's from QG was passing by and ran over to us and exclaimed, "What are doing here... are you lost?" He most certainly had a point. We've never gone back. Even if lost. 

I had the same experience on QE2. I was caught by our Princess Grill steward looking at the Lido menu. I reassured him I had not intention of eating there. 

• Haha 2