Sunbed reservation wars spreads.

majortom10

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

These are the exterior steel staircases from Deck 12 to 7 talking about. Not Interior Staircases.

Not being obtuse or argumentative, but what would be the difference?

11 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

On Formal Gala Theme evenings when all dress on the QM2 it's really put a Special Feeling After 6.

I may have been unclear when I said I won't be doing white tie on Cunard.

It is my cruising custom to be in formal attire of some sort every evening by 6 PM, Gala Night or not. When cruising in MSC Yacht Club, I bring three variations of tuxedo, with one including an off-white dinner jacket. I just mix things around with different waistcoats, pocket squares, and lapel flowers.

The two-week cruise in March will be new territory for my wife and I. We've not dared to take so long a cruise because our jobs generate too much "catch-up" work. Next year, though, we shall throw caution to the wind. I think more than three tuxes will be wanted.

Now, in order to give this post some relevance to the topic of deck lounger misappropriation, allow me to say MSC Yacht Club has a worse problem with this than would likely be found on the Grills Terrace. The amenities on the most recent generation of Yacht Club pool decks are multiple and people sneak in for food, drinks, pool, and open loungers.

Not only do they use out-of-the-way exterior stairs, but many of those enjoying what they did not pay for are let in by friends/family who are themselves staying in Yacht Club.

8 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Well.... how many stewards are still remembered today by their full name? How many?  I can still name many of my stewards by their first names and from nearly 50 years ago. And make the point of trying to address them by name now.  

But Dennis Dawson was special. Odd... I did not find him "crusty" at all.  I thought he was professional, quirky, dedicated to preserving "the old ways" and quite charming. To have him called him "monstrous" (really?!) by people on this site who never even met the man says more about his detractors frankly.  Dennis Dawson was Old School Cunard which... yes... some of us remember, cherish and hold on to.  

Thank you. You are quite right. It is wrong to call him monstrous. He may have been kind and good, gentle to his wife, and a large donator to charity. But what I should have said was that his behaviour, as described here by those who did encounter him, seems disagreeable, intimidating, egotistic, and, yes, monstrous. Still, I am glad you have some good things to say about Cunard, but I fear that, had I encountered him, I might never have booked another cruise. I would have been too scared. 😀 Luckily the crew I encounter now are kind and lovely, and usually address me as Ms. X.

10 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Well.... how many stewards are still remembered today by their full name? How many?  I can still name many of my stewards by their first names and from nearly 50 years ago. And make the point of trying to address them by name now.  

But Dennis Dawson was special. Odd... I did not find him "crusty" at all.  I thought he was professional, quirky, dedicated to preserving "the old ways" and quite charming. To have him called him "monstrous" (really?!) by people on this site who never even met the man says more about his detractors frankly.  Dennis Dawson was Old School Cunard which... yes... some of us remember, cherish and hold on to. 

Just returned from QA and never even saw my cabin steward for the whole duration of the cruise. I wasn't in the stateroom on embarkation day when he introduced himself to the wife. After that never saw him again and only knew his name from the card on the desk. How times have changed.

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Just returned from QA and never even saw my cabin steward for the whole duration of the cruise. I wasn't in the stateroom on embarkation day when he introduced himself to the wife. After that never saw him again and only knew his name from the card on the desk. How times have changed.

I hope he performed his tasks properly.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

That is such a shame.

I know slightly different, but I can honestly say, our Butler and assistant, in May and the last two weeks, have been the best we have ever encountered, and that's really saying something as we have been thrilled with 99% of cabin staff over the years.

• Like 2

Well ditto from our QV cruise in May... we had simply delightful, efficient, friendly and gracious service from almost every single crew member we encountered.And not just in the Grills, either. Many were familiar faces, too, and remembered by name.  We were in PG but elsewhere in the ship, too, no complaints.

Now... there were service lags and lapses to be sure... 20 min waits for drinks in the Commodore and Chart Room not uncommon and seemed to get worse later into the voyage.  And yes, LONG waits between courses in the Princess Grill restaurant. But I don't blame the point contact stewards for that.... behind the scenes in the galley and indeed a shortage of bartenders seems the issue. 

We are back on QV in October to "take her home" to Southampton and now do so mainly with the hope that so and so will still be aboard and yes, the crew matter to us more than the ports.... we hope the former are the same and know the latter will be, too!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I seldom saw my stewardess on QE earlier this month. She didn't introduce herself on the first day but did on the second. She didn't seem to have any rooms near mine, so I rarely saw her in passing. On the last day, I left her tip in an envelope on the desk. As I walked down the hall, I saw her in a room well down the hall from mine. I called to her to say goodbye and commented that it was a long way from my room. I think she said she had 16 rooms to do. But none of them was next to mine, so I wasn't at the end of her row. The stewards near me were male, so I wonder if I was an extra added to her chores. Is there a new policy that they try to give a female attendant to solo female passengers?

14 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I seldom saw my stewardess on QE earlier this month. She didn't introduce herself on the first day but did on the second. She didn't seem to have any rooms near mine, so I rarely saw her in passing. On the last day, I left her tip in an envelope on the desk. As I walked down the hall, I saw her in a room well down the hall from mine. I called to her to say goodbye and commented that it was a long way from my room. I think she said she had 16 rooms to do. But none of them was next to mine, so I wasn't at the end of her row. The stewards near me were male, so I wonder if I was an extra added to her chores. Is there a new policy that they try to give a female attendant to solo female passengers?

That would be thoughtful, and it might be as much about protecting staff as passengers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Well that's your own fault - I bet you must have passed him a dozen or so times , either in the corridor or when he has been servicing other cabins adjacent to yours - the doors would have been opened , not too much trouble to pop you head in OR shout hello.

If my cabin steward hasn't  made contact with me within the first 18/20 hours from embarkation 'I'll go off looking for him/her' . Striking up a good relationship with our cabin attendant is the means to receiving  favourable service . I'll always make a point of interacting with him/her when in the corridor throughout the morning .   Same with the restaurant staff - I'll always use their name and ask how THIER day has been.

I do have to laugh, I was once taken to task by an American lady at a large table I was sharing who said  "hey You are Far too familiar with our waiter" - I was delighted to inform her that I was enjoying Escargot  (not on the menu that evening) and she wasn't.   😉 

7 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Well that's your own fault - I bet you must have passed him a dozen or so times , either in the corridor or when he has been servicing other cabins adjacent to yours - the doors would have been opened , not too much trouble to pop you head in OR shout hello.

If my cabin steward hasn't  made contact with me within the first 18/20 hours from embarkation 'I'll go off looking for him/her' . Striking up a good relationship with our cabin attendant is the means to receiving  favourable service . I'll always make a point of interacting with him/her when in the corridor throughout the morning .   Same with the restaurant staff - I'll always use their name and ask how THIER day has been.

I do have to laugh, I was once taken to task by an American lady at a large table I was sharing who said  "hey You are Far too familiar with our waiter" - I was delighted to inform her that I was enjoying Escargot  (not on the menu that evening) and she wasn't.   😉 

The steward did make contact - with MT’s wife. Or does she not count?

Just now, exlondoner said:

The steward did make contact - with MT’s wife. Or does she not count?

The Wife didn't post or make any reference to Not making contact  - My reply was directed to author of the post who appeared to have the problem . 

7 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

The Wife didn't post or make any reference to Not making contact  - My reply was directed to author of the post who appeared to have the problem . 

I should certainly assume that if the steward popped in when I was elsewhere and spoke to my spouse, he had done the greeting bit. I wouldn’t expect him to visit again just to see me. After all, they are pretty busy on the first day. I would aim to do as you do, and say hello in passing, if it arose.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2024 at 9:12 PM, WantedOnVoyage said:

All valid reasons why we would rather skip a meal than set foot in anything remotely "lido" (what do they call it now, "Artisan" something or rather).... I cannot think of anything less congenial or indusive to a holiday at sea than a cafeteria. Having to "save" a table, queue for this and then that, press this or that for coffee, and to have contretemps during it all. No thanks.

I remember years ago we were lost on QM2 (imagine that!) and found ourselves wandering like the other lost souls in "Kings Court" (don't you love it?) and one of the asst. maitre d's from QG was passing by and ran over to us and exclaimed, "What are doing here... are you lost?" He most certainly had a point. We've never gone back. Even if lost. 

Well done you 🙄

• Haha 1

One of the annoying things about QM2 is to go forward from grills area you have to go through King's Court, so its hard to miss it.

Then at night they block it off, as that end of KC becomes a speciality restaurant. So you have to go outside or down and up again.

Buffets are like marmite,  we are in avoid like plague group. Only saving grace on QM2 is if you arrive back after lunch but are still peckish,  concierge lounge has sandwiches , so can steer clear of Buffet.

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I have never had a female cabin steward and have done many trips as a solo female.

1 minute ago, Winifred 22 said:

I have never had a female cabin steward and have done many trips as a solo female.

We have had female Butlers [and jolly good they were too] and I assume they have come up through the ranks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I should certainly assume that if the steward popped in when I was elsewhere and spoke to my spouse, he had done the greeting bit. I wouldn’t expect him to visit again just to see me. After all, they are pretty busy on the first day. I would aim to do as you do, and say hello in passing, if it arose.

You've missed the point of my post ! Never suggested that the cabin steward 'should  pop in again to introduce him self ,  Read the introduction of the authors post again   '' Never Even Saw My Cabin Steward for the whole duration of the cruise"

Well do what I do,  go along, find him and make conversation if it's that important . 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

You've missed the point of my post ! Never suggested that the cabin steward 'should  pop in again to introduce him self ,  Read the introduction of the authors post again   '' Never Even Saw My Cabin Steward for the whole duration of the cruise"

Well do what I do,  go along, find him and make conversation if it's that important . 

Yes, I’d go out of my way to say “hi” to the person who is near my toothbrush everyday!

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

I agree,

If it's that important, go, find and engage.

The cabin attendant probably assumed as meeting one of his passengers was part of his remit. it was carried out as far as his busy schedule was concerned.

Like you, we engage and yes, it does have its rewards - thinking specifically hot lattes on a ruddy cold deck, from the lounge. We were so looked after but then, as you say, we engaged...and said a 'heartfelt thank you' in response.

I always address staff by their name, as long as I can read the name tag because if I have my reading specs on I don't want to peer as it's rude, thinking here meeting a very senior member of staff and I had to ask who he was as I couldn't see him properly and couldn't see his name tag. Ooops! 😄

On 7/27/2024 at 7:46 AM, majortom10 said:

Well it was only a matter of time before reserving of sunbed with towels spreads to other parts of the ship. On QA this afternoon a couple reserved a table for 2 on side of dance floor in Queens Room for afternoon tea. Left obligatory jumpers on chairs at 2-15pm and then disappeared. People were queueing for a table and wife spoke to a waiter and he said he would have a word with his manager. Surprise, surprise nothing was done and then bang on 3pm the said couple returned to their table. I had words with them about reserving a table for over 45 mins when people were queueing and that they should be ashamed by their actions. They tried to make feeble excuse and after involvement of others they grabbed their jumper's and walked out in shame. After they left the waiter came to us and thanked us for our help.

are we moving to a state where we have to pay extra for reserved buffet seats just like we have to do on flights to get good seats near the front of the plane?

On 7/29/2024 at 4:29 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

One answer, of course, is the dining room. 

I did complain to a manager. The staff can't doing anything about rude people. But the big problem is that passengers settle down at a table in the buffet and stay there well after finishing their meal. Staff aren't allowed (or willing) to ask them to leave. The manager I spoke to on QV asked me to write a complaint letter to the Hotel director. She said that staff are aware of the people staying too long, but her bosses would pay more attention to a comment from a passenger than from staff. 

And those people are probably also "reserving" a few deck chairs simulation...

This is where I disagree. Although many describe the King's Court as the works canteen and  wouldn't touch it , us included.  It is in fact the Buffet Restaurant on what is thought of as an upmarket cruise line. Many people do like buffets and that's their choice. It is as much a Restaurant as  QG,  PG or Brittania, where passengers can take there time to enjoy a meal. Take their  time between courses let things digest before cheese or desert and linger over coffee and a brandy. As in any other freedom dining restaurant. 

The Buffet Restaurant is not the works canteen,  people don't  have to vacate their tables before the next shift. If there aren't enough tables blame Cunard.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The Buffet Restaurant is not the works canteen,  people don't  have to vacate their tables before the next shift. If there aren't enough tables blame Cunard.

If it were a works canteen, the employee schedule would solve the problem.

But the buffet "restaurant" is designed on the idea that people go there to eat and, when they're done, go elsewhere. The reality is that people grab a table and hog it all day, especially on "scenic sailing" days. Or they stay to play cards for hours. It's a Restaurant, not a lounge, but people use it as a lounge. 

• Like 4