Just when I thought there was nothing else to cut

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

I have been following this thread with interest and thought I would do a non-milk or grocery comparison. We have been cruising HAL, Princess and a few assorted others for over 30 years, but what I remember as the last “great” cruise we had on HAL was about 13 years ago. By “great” I mean the food was the high quality that we used to expect, service was wonderful, yum yum man, shows every evening, chocolates on the bed nightly, etc. Special coffees were still complimentary in the MDR and our son who was 17 at the time was offered multiple entrees nightly even extra lobster. The room service menu still had salmon, and there was a salmon cookout around the pool on one of our Alaska port days. 
I remember for that particular cruise we paid $3500 cad total for a balcony for the 3 of us (I think our son was a “free” 3rd promo). I also remember at the time that this was an “expensive” last minute booking. Many on the ship paid less than we did I’m sure. Apparently $3500 in today’s dollars is about $4900. I just priced out a cruise for next August, same itinerary in a base veranda for 3 people (port fees and taxes only for the 3rd to make an accurate comparison). It comes to $5600 cad. So, it has indeed gone up, for a MUCH, MUCH lesser experience. This is without any HIA, etc. 
It sounds like the legendary voyages are actually just like what a regular HAL cruise used to be like, but premium priced. 
We have cruised a lot since retirement in the last couple of years and been able to take advantage of some good post pandemic pricing, but at the  prices we are seeing now, it does make us think twice. Knowing the product that we will be receiving, we are very careful not to “overpay”. I’ll wait for a deal and if doesn’t come along, we’ll do something else. 
I don’t mind paying more for something if it is a better product, but that is not the case here.

Yes, are still cruising, and enjoying ourselves, but just really careful that we don’t overpay for a watered down product.

Thank you for sharing your story and adding some context with real life examples.  Between what you and rj59 have shared, it's kind of startling to see how much cruising has changed, even more than I realized.  😞  (For example I was shocked to hear lobster was part of the buffet at one time.)

I've told people recently that cruising has changed a lot in 20 years and almost none of it for the better except for the e-muster and relaxed dress codes.  (I'm so done with dressing up for dinner).  But in reading these stories,  I'm reminded of a boss I had many years ago who was opposed to casual dress in the workplace.  He believed that "casual dress led to casual work."   As I sit here thinking about these changes, I find myself wondering if maybe he wasn't on to something. 

Edited by ghjcmo
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Ridiculous.

How long is it taking you to get thru meals? I'm a two course chicken and anything over 1.5 hours is miserable (ADHD). 

Once seated the service is excellent.  It is as quick or as leisurely as you want.  It is a management issue not a service level issue.  @3rdGenCunarder I think the issue is agents are assigning everyone a fixed dining table and those people aren’t showing up. This could be fixed by  two courses of action 1. You lose your table if you don’t show up after 15 minutes and 2. You lose your table permanently if you don’t show up for two or three nights in a row with no explanation.  The new attitude is no enforcement of any rules and this makes it miserable for everyone.

On a side note one person did tell me he was asked to leave as he had on shorts at dinner 

i am on a 24 day journey, last night was my 5th day in the MDR and the wait for a table is still not up to par.  Maybe by the end of week 2 it will be fixed 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Once seated the service is excellent.  It is as quick or as leisurely as you want.  It is a management issue not a service level issue.

I guess that's kind of a "good news, bad news" thing.  I'm glad to hear the service was good once you got in.  Maybe the management thing is kind of a "hangover" from the shutdown, that is, people haven't been trained properly.  I will say in that respect I do agree with some of the other people here in that this is kind of problem everywhere, not just cruising.

Hopefully it gets better for you. That's quite the journey you're on.  🙂 

Edited by ghjcmo

18 hours ago, rj59 said:

I can usually do without guest lecturers, who tend to be retired professors who tend to drone on and aren't very proficient at power point or multimedia. 

We have had a couple of excellent enrichment speakers. The first I recall is a Mexican professor of history who joined us on the latter half of our Panama Canal transit. His English was lightly accented and impeccable. His insights into Mexico-US relations, going all the way back to colonial days, were interesting. The second was a retired dentist who was Chinese born in Hong Kong and is now a US citizen. He is an historian by avocation, and spoke from a series of PowerPoint decks on the history and customs of the various Asian nations on our itinerary. Both of these gentlemen enhanced our enjoyment of the cruise.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2024 at 1:25 PM, St Pete Cruiser said:

I agree with the poster, but the Legendary Voyage, which the current Voyage of the Vikings is superb. 

Live music in the Ocean Bar every afternoon. 

classic trio in the Explorer Lounge. 

Rolling Stone Live Band with volcalists.

Three enrichment speakers. 

Live production shows with singers and dancers.

Unfortunately we have to pay more for a Legendary Voyage to get what we had previously on every longer cruise, but at least Holland America Line does still know how to please its guests.

20240725_093506.thumb.jpg.ebacfbe37a67e4d38679a9cc13f719ee.jpgPrinted news at the MDR.20240725_092528.thumb.jpg.5a7e8adc612300eaa125599dafcc4680.jpg

20240725_092518.jpg

20240725_092500.jpg

20240725_092446.jpg

20240725_092436.jpg

20240725_092423.jpg

Thats Great news. We are on the 25 VOV,,, 

• Thanks 2

On 8/1/2024 at 10:46 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Maybe in the example of milk, but many (most) things I buy now also have shrink inflation. Pay the same amount (or higher) and get less product in the package. Example: A half gallon of ice cream is 64 ounces. The 'half gallon' ice cream packages being sold today are 48 ounces.

I happened to come across an instacart order from 2021. It was $189

If I ordered the exact same order today it would be $422.

Inflation is crazy across the board (including cruising). 

I wonder how much HAL would actually have to charge in order to keep the quality consistent to what we were used to 5 years ago? I bet it might be more than most people are willing to spend. 

I'm no HAL cheerleader and that's an honest question.

No, it's not.  It's only 2% increase (don't trust your math and eyes).  Make it a mantra ("It's only 2% increase", "It's only 2% increase", "It's only 2% increase" ...), repeat it a few times a day, and Voilà! - no more sad/angry/irritated-like/annoying thoughts and complains!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Once seated the service is excellent.  It is as quick or as leisurely as you want.  It is a management issue not a service level issue.  @3rdGenCunarder I think the issue is agents are assigning everyone a fixed dining table and those people aren’t showing up. This could be fixed by  two courses of action 1. You lose your table if you don’t show up after 15 minutes and 2. You lose your table permanently if you don’t show up for two or three nights in a row with no explanation.  The new attitude is no enforcement of any rules and this makes it miserable for everyone.

I thought those were the rules.  Shows what I know! 

• Like 1

Sorry but I’m a bit confused by the wait to be seated in the MDR.

Is this for people in fixed early or late seating or for people in open seating that pre-reserved a time slot?

And if for fixed dining, why when you know your table and location?

54 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Is this for people in fixed early or late seating or for people in open seating that pre-reserved a time slot?

Mine is open seating with a pre reserved time slot.  I not only wait in line but then I wait on the side for a table.  It is not working as advertised.  Fixed dining you have an assigned table you simply walk to

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Mine is open seating with a pre reserved time slot.  I not only wait in line but then I wait on the side for a table.  It is not working as advertised.  Fixed dining you have an assigned table you simply walk to

I wonder if you requested a table assignment when they take the reservation, if they would assign it?  The reason I mention it is because we asked for a specific section where we had excellent service so they went ahead and assigned it at that time. 

We could then bypass the front desk and go directly to our table.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

It really is a bit confusing why someone with anytime dining is surprised they have to wait for a table.  Anytime dining is just that.  You do not want to participate in fixed dining and prefer to eat when you choose.  That's what we do.  So if someone with anytime dining decides they want fixed dining but at their desired dining time they may have to wait for their table.  We eat late and were asked by servers to request their table for the entire cruise.  I am not shocked that anytime diners would be asked to wait for an available table at the time they now want to be fixed dining.  And they will probably be behind Neptune suite and CO guests who also have anytime dining.  JMO. Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 3

On 8/1/2024 at 6:38 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Again, it's about change and evolution. Are you unhappy with beverage packages or HIA? That's change. And evolution. 

HAL is smart to sell HIA.  I’m sure it is a moneymaker for them.  Our last cruise we didn’t even use the free Pinnacle and Canaletto dining and we used the drink package for mostly canned water.  The included gratuities were a nice addition.  Next cruise, we’ll pay as we go!

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

If you have a preassigned time slot for the entire cruise you can ask the maitre’d to assign your table, also.  Easily done for early open dining.  

If your dining time is later I hope HAL would have a separate line for reservations, then they just have to find an open table for you.  

Edited by oaktreerb
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I wonder if you requested a table assignment when they take the reservation, if they would assign it?  The reason I mention it is because we asked for a specific section where we had excellent service so they went ahead and assigned it at that time. 

That's how it worked for us on NS and K'dam last year when we requested an assigned time w/servers we really liked that had served us during anytime dining.  It was great to just walk in and sit at "our" table. With that said, we were B2B both times and had to make a new request the 2nd week.

Edited by Haljo1935
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I asked if I could have a fixed table, any table, so I could bypass this step.  I was told by the hostess, the MDR manager and finally the Hotel director that was not possible.  There are no fixed tables with open dining reservations 

I am on the Volendam 

Edited by Mary229
  • Thanks 2

The "no fixed table rule" must vary by ship. On the Legendary Alaska cruise in June, after a couple of days 3 of us had a fixed table at 7PM for the rest of the cruise. Since it was near the check in stand, we could walk in, check the table to see if available, and either waited a few minutes for it to be reset or walked directly to it 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I asked if I could have a fixed table, any table, so I could bypass this step.  I was told by the hostess, the MDR manager and finally the Hotel director that was not possible.  There are no fixed tables with open dining reservations 

I am on the Volendam 

We prefer the “fixed” dining, but often it is full and we are left with open dining downstairs. We have also tried to replicate it by reserving at the same time daily, but have been told that unless it is at 5:00 pm or whenever the dining room opens they won’t do it. This is also after the waiters tell you to ask for the same table every evening at the same time. The host won’t do it unless it’s 5 or 7:30, and even then they “try” only. The waiters obviously prefer having the same people at their tables nightly, and are telling people its possible, and there’s the disconnect as the hosts won’t do it.
On our last cruise on the Volendam we had been waitlisted for fixed early seating upstairs and after a few chaotic dinners downstairs, we presented ourselves upstairs, and very nicely asked if anything had opened up, and the host accommodated us. 
Our preference is also to eat around 6, but it’s more important to me to have the same waitstaff and a peaceful environment, so we have to go earlier. 

12 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

We prefer the “fixed” dining, but often it is full and we are left with open dining downstairs. We have also tried to replicate it by reserving at the same time daily, but have been told that unless it is at 5:00 pm or whenever the dining room opens they won’t do it. This is also after the waiters tell you to ask for the same table every evening at the same time. The host won’t do it unless it’s 5 or 7:30, and even then they “try” only. The waiters obviously prefer having the same people at their tables nightly, and are telling people its possible, and there’s the disconnect as the hosts won’t do it.
On our last cruise on the Volendam we had been waitlisted for fixed early seating upstairs and after a few chaotic dinners downstairs, we presented ourselves upstairs, and very nicely asked if anything had opened up, and the host accommodated us. 
Our preference is also to eat around 6, but it’s more important to me to have the same waitstaff and a peaceful environment, so we have to go earlier. 

I don't like the early timing, but I do early fixed because I like a large table with the same companions and waitstaff. So to get that, I eat early. Late fixed is too late for me, especially when I have early tours or plans on many days. One of the good things about being a solo traveler is that there's nearly always a spot they can put me at, even if my reservation shows me waitlisted for fixed.

I don't like the open dining asking for a large table. If it fills slowly, the first people could sit for a while waiting for orders to be taken. Or the courses could come in a staggered flow. And sometimes there are people who really wanted a 2-top but accepted a large table because that's what they could get. People who don't want to be there can really bring down the atmosphere at a large table. 

• Like 2

We had a great situation on one cruise where a group of four always managed to get seated at the same table for ten (at the same time every night) even though it was open seating.  We caught on early and just told the host "we're with them."  The other four seats rotated but often the same couples would show up.  We had a grand time.  It was a long cruise (20 plus days) on Kdam (I think.)

• Like 1

On 7/28/2024 at 12:13 PM, POA1 said:

Right now, at the Capital Grille in Fort Lauderdale, shrimp cocktail is $20. Lobster bisque is $16 for a cup and $22 for a bowl. A filet in the same size served at the PG is $57. Sides range from $13 - $16 each. Desserts are $14-$17.

Thar puts me at about $140 - $150 pp for dinner (2 sides). Cocktails and wine are higher as well. Service expected to be 20%.

Reference URL:

https://www.thecapitalgrille.com/menu/dinner/

OMG!!  PP!!

On 7/28/2024 at 4:45 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

This ^^^

Thank you for clarifying. I knew Legendary got the extra bonuses, but never saw 28 days listed as a minimum cut off.

Bummer as I'll be on a 22 night cruise in January. Would have liked to have HAL ramp it up a bit. I will be immediately following that 22 night with a Legendary in February so I'll be able to make a comparison as to what little extras Legendary cruises come with. 

Did I miss something? I'm going on a legendary voyage next year. What are the extra bonuses please

On 7/29/2024 at 8:00 PM, Tradestock said:

Thank you for the information regarding BB King/Rolling Stone.  The additional twist to this topic, no priest on board, was greatly unexpected.  In brief, we travel past 4 cruise ports to sail with HAL and a Catholic priest.  Since cost cuts are not exclusive to corporate culture, our cruises with HAL will be much less.

Thank you to everyone that provided great information and travel tips.  Peace be with you.      

And also with you

• Like 1

On 7/30/2024 at 1:58 PM, SharonN said:

We changed to the 45 day Legendary Mediterranean round trip out of New York. It still has the stop in Egypt that we wanted but we'll miss a few other ports we were looking forward to. But we had a credit we have to use up next year and there's no way we can go 10 weeks without a priest and mass. The change is definitely going to limit us on which cruises we can take in the future. I really feel sorry for the Filipino crew though since most of them are Catholic and they no longer have access to a priest on most cruises either. 

I hope to be on that cruise as well.

44 minutes ago, shadow 123 said:

Did I miss something? I'm going on a legendary voyage next year. What are the extra bonuses please

Really just a bunch of little perks. Nothing to get excited over, but nice none the less. I was told the food budget had been increased and given we had unlimited lobster served at the buffet multiple occasions I tend to believe it.

I wouldn’t book a legendary for the perks, but did enjoy some of the extras. Here’s a thread where several folks discussed legendary perks 

• Like 1