Well what's the dining package?

So,

I've just booked me on the 9 night Bermuda & Perfect Day cruise on Vision of the Seas and I can't find a single thing, on the web page, within my booking confirmation mails, telling me what dining options are included

there are upgrade packages available for speciality dining at the Plan my Cruise page, but as a solo traveller, I'm not interested in that

Can someone tell me what is it that's available as standard?

Or am I going to starve all week 🙂

Thanks

tim

Posted (edited)

On Vision the complimentary dining is the Main Dining Room, Windjammer Buffet, Park Cafe, and Cafe Latte-tudes.  Chops, Giovanni's, Izumi, and Chef's Table are for a charge. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, tim_london0 said:

So,

I've just booked me on the 9 night Bermuda & Perfect Day cruise on Vision of the Seas and I can't find a single thing, on the web page, within my booking confirmation mails, telling me what dining options are included

there are upgrade packages available for speciality dining at the Plan my Cruise page, but as a solo traveller, I'm not interested in that

Can someone tell me what is it that's available as standard?

Or am I going to starve all week 🙂

Thanks

tim

Your travel agent would/should have asked you what dining time you wanted? There is either My Time Dining* where you can go to the main dining room when you want ( like turning up at a restaurant without a reservation so you may have a short wait) ; or there is an option to go at the same time/ same table/ same waiters every night ( which I personally find too restrictive). 
The dining time will be shown on your RCI invoice - 🧾- again if your TA has not sent this to you just ask them for it. 

*just in case you are from London as your tag implies, if you chose MTD then we in the UK are forced to prepay the gratuities to have this option if you have booked via a 🇬🇧 agent 

Edited by little britain

OK, Thank's peeps

Windjammer Buffet it is then.

As to the other points.  I booked direct with the US website, getting a special deal that was $200 less than one of the discount cruise resellers (that I don't think I'm supposed to name here) was offering me.

But that showed me nothing about anything extra that I might like to add to my booking.  No request for my preferred dining time in the main restaurant (I don't have one because I don't like my meals to be an "event", even on more fancy cruises - and I'm sure that these Bermuda/Bahamas cruises don't fit into that category), no info about how any tipping will be collected, no info about how I might book the connecting transfer from the airport (yes, I would like that please) only a link to where I might like to book a connecting flight, which varied from "sorry we cannot find you a connection from that airport (LHR)", to an offer at $4500 - I looked in vain for any suggestion that might be a first class fare and then gave up with that. (I have self booked BA Premium Economy at £1200, but that leaves me waiting at BWI - I'm sure there's a taxi option).

I later discovered that I could have booked the same thing on the UK website, paying in pounds at a fair conversion rate.  Oh well, will know that for next time (if there is one).

2 minutes ago, tim_london0 said:

OK, Thank's peeps

As to the other points.  I booked direct with the US website, getting a special deal that was $200 less than one of the discount cruise resellers (that I don't think I'm supposed to name here) was offering me.

But that showed me nothing about anything extra that I might like to add to my booking.  No request for my preferred dining time in the main restaurant (I don't have one because I don't like my meals to be an "event", even on more fancy cruises - and I'm sure that these Bermuda/Bahamas cruises don't fit into that category), no info about how any tipping will be collected, no info about how I might book the connecting transfer from the airport (yes, I would like that please) only a link to where I might like to book a connecting flight, which varied from "sorry we cannot find you a connection from that airport (LHR)", to an offer at $4500 - I looked in vain for any suggestion that might be a first class fare and then gave up with that. (I have self booked BA Premium Economy at £1200, but that leaves me waiting at BWI - I'm sure there's a taxi option).

I later discovered that I could have booked the same thing on the UK website, paying in pounds at a fair conversion rate.  Oh well, will know that for next time (if there is one).

You will have a assigned dining even if you were not asked. Either anytime or fixed early or late. I would go to the Mdr at least on lobster night. I read the menu and go to the buffet the nights I dont like. Like italian night, I know I dont like Italian so I go to the WJ that night. Breakfast and lunch on sea days is also offered in the main dining room. Or if you use rhenbuffet imgomtomthe egg line to get my eggs cooked over hard. I dont like runnynegfs. There will be a couple of lines in the jammer for eggs or order omelettes. Unless you are om with the ones set out, which I rarely am. Look on your card when you board and it will have where you are assigned for dinner. Though you dont have to go there. But I dont miss lobster night. I love lobster.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, tim_london0 said:

OK, Thank's peeps

First, there are no "discount" cruise resellers as the cruise lines don't discount their published fares to travel agents.  What you likely received was a group rate offered through the cruise line to the travel agent or one derived from a block of rooms booked by them. They are not published by the cruise lines and are only available through a travel agent.  Either way it doesn't matter, just wanted to clarify the price you received.

Your booking number should provide you with a cruise planner for your sailing on the RCCL website.  That will provide you with the opportunity to pre-purchase drink packages, wifi, specialty dining, and excursions for your cruise if desired.

You can choose My Time Dining as your option to avoid preset times if desired.  That allows you the flexibly to go to the dining room when you want.  The buffet is also an open dining option.

Unless you elect to prepay them gratuities will be automatically charged to your room account daily to be settled at the end of the cruise via a credit card.

Air arrangements can be made through Air2Sea with RCCL.  I would contact whomever you booked with to arrange this, transfers, and any of the other things mentioned as that is part of their responsibility to you when booking through them.

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I should clarify that along with complimentary snacks, Cafe Latte-tudes also has specialty coffees and Ben & Jerry's ice cream for a fee.

I seem to recall Royal has discontinued its relationship with Ben & Jerry’s, so it is no longer offered?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, wallyj said:

I seem to recall Royal has discontinued its relationship with Ben & Jerry’s, so it is no longer offered?

You may well be correct.  Just checked and as of December of 2023 B & J's relationship ended and it was removed from 13 of the ships.  Maybe the rest never had them?

OP, you are correct that BWI is the appropriate airport. And there should be a couple of forms of transfer to the port from there. Will you be arriving at least one day before the cruise? There are hotels that pick up from the airport (I think), and some provide shuttle to the port from the hotel.
How soon is your cruise? If it is still many months away, there might be a lack of info on your booking page at RC....although as you have noticed, they don't waste any time in promoting excursions, specialty dining, spa services, etc.

I can vouch for the fact that you will not starve! Even if you don't go to the dining room, there is plenty of variety in the buffet. However, the dining room is not stuffy or overly fancy; consider going there occasionally, even if only for breakfast or lunch.  Menus are posted on the wall just outside the dining room, so you can choose a day that suits you.

How did you book via the USA RCI site? You have to put in a USA address. Perhaps you have one? 

Go to https://www.royalcaribbean.com/account/signin and create an account ; then add your booking ref #

Also down load the RCI app from the App Store and log in using same credentials as ^^ . Here you’ll be able to see menus etc. 

4 hours ago, wallyj said:

I don’t recall the exact date, but Ben & Jerry’s was removed from all RCI ships earlier this year (or possibly late last year). Initially i was bummed because I really like B&J’s ice cream. It is significantly better than the free ice cream RCI provides. On the bright side, I don’t know what brand they replaced it with, but it is really good. I bought too many cones when I was on Independence last month, but well worth it 

35 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t recall the exact date, but Ben & Jerry’s was removed from all RCI ships earlier this year (or possibly late last year). Initially i was bummed because I really like B&J’s ice cream. It is significantly better than the free ice cream RCI provides. On the bright side, I don’t know what brand they replaced it with, but it is really good. I bought too many cones when I was on Independence last month, but well worth it 

Yeah the info I read said sometime in December of 2023 - removed from 13 ships. My original post referring to them at Latte-tudes was out of date and incorrect.

Did you receive invoice via email?   The top portion with your name, cabin # usually shows your dining time.

Traditional dining has 2 times...usually 5 or 5:30 pm or 8 pm.   

You may request a 2 person table or they can seat you with others.  You should call them to specify your preference.

4 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

does the new ice cream place do milkshakes?

I have booked an extra day at each end of the trip.  Otherwise too much fapping about trying to re-arrange things if a flight is cancelled (or less likely, the ship docks late), I always pay an extra $100 or so for a hotel to avoid the complete loss of a $3000 holiday (air fare included, though I suppose I could make use of the time doing something else if I miss the boat.)

I have investigated airport shuttle to hotels, that is not an issue.  The availability of hotel shuttles to the port is more interesting and something that I hadn't thought of.  Though IME if a hotel's listing says "shuttle (chargeable)" that usually means that the desk will call you a taxi (a service which every hotel in the world will offer you).

Oh Yes.  I have a 5:15 dining time (wait listed).  But I just don't like sitting down waiting 30 minutes per course for my meal to be served.  I'm also a fussy eater, so at a buffet (even one that has a server behind the counter) I can easily say, skip the portion of X and give me a double portion of Y instead, awkward doing that for every menu item on a sit down meal.  And I'm really fussy about my eggs (white 100% cooked, yoke still soft).  Never once has an American hotel provided me with that (I don't know why they find it so hard, I can do it myself and I'm not a trained chef).  If the fried eggs don't look good, I'll have an omelette.  But I need to watch the chef at work before I decide.  Oh and if the deserts are really yummy,  I'll have 2 or 3 each day 🙂

You are right about the excursions.  Even 9 months out some are showing as "only 5 places left".  Fortunately, I have no interest in going to the special "adults only" party at CocoCay-  I'll stick with whatever I can do walking around for free at that location, thank you very much!  

I booked though the American website.  I don't think it even asked me for an address.  It did ask for a country, and provided UK as an option, but still wanted a zip code.  It didn't complain when I left that bit blank.

Finally, this is for next year's season  I have plenty of time to get all the answers that I need. Just doing it now, because I don't always have the free time to ask.

4 hours ago, tim_london0 said:

I have booked an extra day at each end of the trip.  Otherwise too much fapping about trying to re-arrange things if a flight is cancelled (or less likely, the ship docks late), I always pay an extra $100 or so for a hotel to avoid the complete loss of a $3000 holiday (air fare included, though I suppose I could make use of the time doing something else if I miss the boat.)

I have investigated airport shuttle to hotels, that is not an issue.  The availability of hotel shuttles to the port is more interesting and something that I hadn't thought of.  Though IME if a hotel's listing says "shuttle (chargeable)" that usually means that the desk will call you a taxi (a service which every hotel in the world will offer you).

Oh Yes.  I have a 5:15 dining time (wait listed).  But I just don't like sitting down waiting 30 minutes per course for my meal to be served.  I'm also a fussy eater, so at a buffet (even one that has a server behind the counter) I can easily say, skip the portion of X and give me a double portion of Y instead, awkward doing that for every menu item on a sit down meal.  And I'm really fussy about my eggs (white 100% cooked, yoke still soft).  Never once has an American hotel provided me with that (I don't know why they find it so hard, I can do it myself and I'm not a trained chef).  If the fried eggs don't look good, I'll have an omelette.  But I need to watch the chef at work before I decide.  Oh and if the deserts are really yummy,  I'll have 2 or 3 each day 🙂

You are right about the excursions.  Even 9 months out some are showing as "only 5 places left".  Fortunately, I have no interest in going to the special "adults only" party at CocoCay-  I'll stick with whatever I can do walking around for free at that location, thank you very much!  

I booked though the American website.  I don't think it even asked me for an address.  It did ask for a country, and provided UK as an option, but still wanted a zip code.  It didn't complain when I left that bit blank.

Finally, this is for next year's season  I have plenty of time to get all the answers that I need. Just doing it now, because I don't always have the free time to ask.

The egg line you may have to give extra instructions. Try it and ask and then the next day give extra instructions. I want my booke hard cooked not runny but I dont want the egg cooked so crisp I almost cant cut it with a knife. Eggs are so personal maybe it takes a little extra to say I dont want my egg cooked to a crisp, just make sure the yoke is cooked. At home I use a lower temperature. I hate when the yoke runs all over. 

Try the egg line and be a little flexible. There are usually at least 2 places with 2 guys each spot cooking eggs or omelettes.

Worse comes to worse uber will take you to the port here. Download the uber app. It's easy if I can do it.

For hotels with port shuttles you usually have to sign up either at the front desk or the concierge.  Florida prices for a shared shuttle are between $6 and $10, no idea for your area.  As often as not you sit in the shuttle for quite a while before it leaves, so taking a cab or Uber is a lot easier.

The Cruise Planner should have a link to Air2Sea for air reservations:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/flights/bookFlights

International flights are often cheaper with this, and you don't have to pay before final payment.  You can cancel these up to the point they actually buy the ticket (usually around 45 days before the cruise).  Lots of threads on cruise line air, so you might want to read them before doing this.  

Re hotels: Have a look at Trinity Reservations, Baltimore. They have listings of many hotels in the area, with info about shuttle from BWI, shuttle to the port, and other amenities. They can book the one you choose.  We have not used them, but I've heard good reports for years.