Fitting cpap on nightstand?

craig01020

On 8/2/2024 at 4:48 AM, craig01020 said:

Good morning. I've booked my first-ever Princess cruises. Looking at photos of the staterooms, it appears the bedside lamps are fixed to the nightstand. If that is true, where do people put a cpap machine if not on top of the nightstand?

Thanks.

On 8/3/2024 at 6:11 AM, palolake said:

I bought a couple CPAP holder/hangers from Amazon and put some powerful magnets on the back.  We have the kind of masks that the hoses go on top of your head.  I stuck them on the cabin walls and it was almost as good as having them come off the top of our headboard.

I'm looking forward to being on the Star and having plenty of room for the machine.  What a dumb thing to position the lamp right in the middle of the night stand!

I've never had a problem setting my CPAP up on bedside table. I usually put it in a drawer durning the day so room steward doesn't get any cleaner on it.

Cpap.png

The only reason I used to place my CPAP on a small stool in my drawer was because I was instructed to keep it below my head.  Recently have it on the nightstand and no problems with “drowning” (aka condensation) yet.

On 8/2/2024 at 7:48 AM, craig01020 said:

Good morning. I've booked my first-ever Princess cruises. Looking at photos of the staterooms, it appears the bedside lamps are fixed to the nightstand. If that is true, where do people put a cpap machine if not on top of the nightstand?

Thanks.

We just got off the Sky Princess, and the lamps are attached to the bedside tables.  I found my

c-pap fit on the table behind the lamp, so between the lamp and the wall.  If I tried to put it at the front of the table, I felt there was a chance of it falling off.  

• Like 2

On 8/5/2024 at 4:06 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

The only reason I used to place my CPAP on a small stool in my drawer was because I was instructed to keep it below my head.  Recently have it on the nightstand and no problems with “drowning” (aka condensation) yet.

I have never had any issue with dryness so I never put water in mine and haven’t for over 15 years

• Like 1

6 hours ago, memoak said:

I have never had any issue with dryness so I never put water in mine and haven’t for over 15 years

Good for you.  You could replace the chamber with a plug cover.  I have both when I travel.  I have my humidifier cranked up to 7 on a cruise ship.  

I’m glad you never had the gurgling in your tube.  It takes forever to get all the water droplets out!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/2/2024 at 4:48 AM, craig01020 said:

Thanks.

We are on the Ruby. My Airsense 11 fit behind the lamp.  it was too narrow to be next to the bed or facing the other way. There are no plugs on either nightstand (maybe behind the bed?). We had to use an extension cord with USB-C and USB plugs.  I was annoyed that that was the only plug, other than over the fridge on the other wall.  My mask and most of the tubing was stored in the drawer. I wish I hadn't forgotten the magnetic hook for my tube, but it worked ok. 

IMG_2674.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DebbieD28 said:

There are no plugs on either nightstand (maybe behind the bed?).

I am planning on crawling under the bed to hunt for that elusive outlet. I'll bring my US/Euro adapter along just in case.

2 hours ago, DebbieD28 said:

There are no plugs on either nightstand (maybe behind the bed?).

If there is a lamp on the nightstand, then there is definitely a plug behind the nightstand. It is usually a European plug. As long as you have a dual-plug adapter, you can plug the lamp back in and plug in your CPAP.

• Like 1

So, I am bringing an APAP on my trip on the Sun Princess in March. I'm pretty sure we already have a converter for international travel so I guess just bring that and an extension cord and order the distilled water when I get there. I am planning to stay in a hotel for two nights before the cruise so I guess I could fly with distilled water in my luggage or just use tap water for a couple of nights.

Posted (edited)

My wife and I both use cpaps for years.  On last Princess Regal cruise in Oct 2023, as we were unpacking our cabin steward came to introduce himself. We told him what we needed for our set-up. He said he would take care of it. When we came back from muster and a few cocktail's it was done. We tipped him generously at the end of the cruise, a 12 day in a mini-suite. 

Edited by hawk/hornfan
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, hawk/hornfan said:

My wife and I both use cpaps for years.  On last Princess Regal cruise in Oct 2023, as we were unpacking our cabin steward came to introduce himself. We told him what we needed for our set-up. He said he would take care of it. When we came back from muster and a few cocktail's it was done. We tipped him generously at the end of the cruise, a 12 day in a mini-suite. 

You had a muster in 2023 ?  Since the restart we have only had to tap in at our muster station and watch the safety video 

On 8/11/2024 at 4:23 PM, craig01020 said:

I always use the cruise ship's tap water from the bathroom sink for my cpap and have never had a problem.

Correct. Even the tap water at home is OK. The problem with tap water is the minerals in the water. If you need to use tap water, check for mineral build-up in the humidifier when you go back to distilled...if there's some build-up, just do a vinegar:water soak of 4:1 and you should be good to go.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2024 at 3:54 PM, desertdwellingsailor said:

So, I am bringing an APAP on my trip on the Sun Princess in March. I'm pretty sure we already have a converter for international travel so I guess just bring that and an extension cord and order the distilled water when I get there. I am planning to stay in a hotel for two nights before the cruise so I guess I could fly with distilled water in my luggage or just use tap water for a couple of nights.

Tap water in the hotel.

Also, I'm pretty sure all modern CPAPs/APAPs have internal converters (check the label or manufacturer booklet). Back in the old days 😉, my patients had to change the fuse in the machine when they traveled. Now, the manufacturers all make "international" machines and ship them all over the world. Saves them from having increased costs for 2, 3, or 4 different types of electricity.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2024 at 9:35 PM, memoak said:

I just recently purchased one of the ResMed AirMini travel CPAPs. It does not have a water chamber like my Resmed 10. I cannot use it at all! Many people don't like the increased noise level...I finally got used to that when I swapped out the normal mask setup with the mask that I use with the 10. But...I simply cannot get past the Sahara desert created in my throat not having any humidity.  I'm stuck with over $1000 worth of very nice CPAP. Would love to sell it!

On 8/11/2024 at 5:06 PM, NavyVeteran said:

If there is a lamp on the nightstand, then there is definitely a plug behind the nightstand. It is usually a European plug. As long as you have a dual-plug adapter, you can plug the lamp back in and plug in your CPAP.

Rarely have I found one actually behind the nightstand. I always find them behind one of the beds.

14 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I just recently purchased one of the ResMed AirMini travel CPAPs. It does not have a water chamber like my Resmed 10. I cannot use it at all! Many people don't like the increased noise level...I finally got used to that when I swapped out the normal mask setup with the mask that I use with the 10. But...I simply cannot get past the Sahara desert created in my throat not having any humidity.  I'm stuck with over $1000 worth of very nice CPAP. Would love to sell it!

I am sorry you are having a problem with such an expensive device.

I ran a polysomnographic lab for a time. The AirMini came out about the time I retired, but there are some things you can try to address the noise and humidity on this model. I hope one or more of these suggestions will help:

https://youtu.be/vUOZceun4fc?feature=shared