Cruise Addicts R Us

59 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Let the excitement roll.

Winning upgrade bids on minis and above are like hen's teeth, as they offer you to bid for an upgrade on cabin categories that have long been sold out. It is also conducted mostly by bots from an external company. Good luck all the same.

Screenshot_11-10-2024_85318_www.princess_com.thumb.jpeg.f31e65c0015c040ab807d5843769bec1.jpeg

Thanks - I got advice on CC and some posters said they have put in the minimum bid and got an upgrade several times, so we have chanced our luck.... but as above all the mini-suites were showing as 'sold out', so I'm not sure how / why we were able to big on a room category that's showing as 'sold out'.... But we're not too fussed if our bid isn't accepted 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Muffinz said:

Princess actually phoned my wife the other day and a lady introduced herself as the new PVC

Polyvinyl Chloride?                     

13 hours ago, arxcards said:

I trust you are high and dry for Milton? That is quite a 1 - 2 punch.

Yes we survived the storm but there were many tornadoes that destroyed everything in their path. We were fortunate, we had no damage.

Edited by JJK2008
Word
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Muffinz said:

Thanks - I got advice on CC and some posters said they have put in the minimum bid and got an upgrade several times, so we have chanced our luck.... but as above all the mini-suites were showing as 'sold out', so I'm not sure how / why we were able to big on a room category that's showing as 'sold out'.... But we're not too fussed if our bid isn't accepted 

Personally, I believe something must be available before you can auction it, but you can bid on any higher cabin on all cruises, whether sold or not. For Princess in Oz, the suites and minis tend to sell out first, which differs on the other side of the world. I would be keen to hear of anyone scoring a winning upgrade bid in a mini-suite or higher on an Aussie based cruise.

I do agree though, you have to be in it to win it. I will be putting in bids for our upcoming Princess cruises too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Personally, I believe something must be available before you can auction it, but you can bid on any higher cabin on all cruises, whether sold or not. For Princess in Oz, the suites and minis tend to sell out first, which differs on the other side of the world. I would be keen to hear of anyone scoring a winning upgrade bid in a mini-suite or higher on an Aussie based cruise.

I do agree though, you have to be in it to win it. I will be putting in bids for our upcoming Princess cruises too.

Yes - people on CC said it's common for Princess to offer people to 'upgrade' to a higher class cabin - even if it is showing as sold out

This is our first time with Princess, so first time trying the upgrade bidding thing

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

Yes - people on CC said it's common for Princess to offer people to 'upgrade' to a higher class cabin - even if it is showing as sold out

This is our first time with Princess, so first time trying the upgrade bidding thing

"Sold out" includes those booked as GTY cabins.  Those passengers might be given a higher grade cabin, leaving availability for bidding.  However, there might also be last minute sales taking inventory out of circulation.  Nevertheless, I agree you may as well take a punt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

So far our cruises have been relatively unaffected by any of the hurricanes, Helene delayed our boarding but otherwise, good weather and smooth seas.

Fingers crossed it remains so.

You are lucky with two hurricanes so close together.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

So far our cruises have been relatively unaffected by any of the hurricanes, Helene delayed our boarding but otherwise, good weather and smooth seas.

Cheers Mic & Rosie, we are glad to hear you are safe. When we sumbled across the news you were heading into the hurricane zone we were concerned, then when you managed to miss the first one, we wondered what was next. We were in the dark that you were going to be in the Northern Hemisphere at this time. Safe travels.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Hey Mic just watched our local news/weather forecast. Our local news does a Tropical Outlook. The Gulf is very quiet, no storms. Forecast ahead nothing of concern. Enjoy your cruise, Safe Travels.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, arxcards said:

Geoff In April we put in a bid (not minimum, but certainly not high) on our sold out Royal Princess to cruise to Japan. We bid on a forward facing suite (cheapest suite)

We received notification that we lost that bid BUT if we wanted to increase our bid by $175 each we could bid on a rear facing Penthouse Suite which was thousands more in the original bid. 5 minutes later the booking come thru.We were beyond excited. It was great for 21 days and we would bid again if we felt it enhanced the cruise. We would have enjoyed the cruise regardless, but the perks that the suite afforded us on a Royal class ship were most enjoyable.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, arxcards said:

We put in a lowish bid to upgrade to a minisuite for the world cruise and got it. The minisuites were sold out at the time. We were over the moon when we won the bid and it certainly made that wonderful long cruise much more comfortable for us. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We put in a lowish bid to upgrade to a minisuite for the world cruise and got it. The minisuites were sold out at the time. We were over the moon when we won the bid and it certainly made that wonderful long cruise much more comfortable for us. 

Because of the circumstances, those cabins were not sold-out. After the changes to the itinerary to avoid the Red Sea, there were plenty of cancellations and there were vacant minis until very late.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Because of the circumstances, those cabins were not sold-out. After the changes to the itinerary to avoid the Red Sea, there were plenty of cancellations and there were vacant minis until very late.

I'm not sure that was the case for full cruise bookings. I think most/all of the cancellations were for Australia/NZ to Civitavecchia, or Australia/NZ to Dover. 

30 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm not sure that was the case for full cruise bookings. I think most/all of the cancellations were for Australia/NZ to Civitavecchia, or Australia/NZ to Dover. 

Also for the full world.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

Also for the full world.

Were there? That seems silly to me. Yes, it was disappointing not going through Suez but we loved the replacement ports. And oddly enough the number of sea days only increased by about 3 or 4  

6 hours ago, gbenjo said:

IMG_2623.thumb.jpeg.6a298b933d62365ca35bf3b3dd83548e.jpeg

I hope that's not me on our cruise.... I weigh close to 3 figures and it would take at least 2 strong burly men to pick me up off the cruise ship floor! 😆