1 week to go and getting worried

Let me start by saying I purchased insurance through royal. We're in south jersey and flying out of Philadelphia Saturday afternoon. Layover in Chicago then on to Ft Lauderdale.  We cruise on Sunday the 11th. 

Now with Debbie coming through I'm nervous.  What if our flights are canceled and we can't get to the cruise port. And no driving is NOT an option too long of a drive and my husband has to work up until Friday. 

Does the insurance cover cancelation if we can't get to Ft Lauderdale due to weather? I'm not familiar with their policy. We always purchase it but haven't needed it. 

4 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Let me start by saying I purchased insurance through royal. We're in south jersey and flying out of Philadelphia Saturday afternoon. Layover in Chicago then on to Ft Lauderdale.  We cruise on Sunday the 11th. 

Now with Debbie coming through I'm nervous.  What if our flights are canceled and we can't get to the cruise port. And no driving is NOT an option too long of a drive and my husband has to work up until Friday. 

Does the insurance cover cancelation if we can't get to Ft Lauderdale due to weather? I'm not familiar with their policy. We always purchase it but haven't needed it. 

You will have to look at the details of the current policy but unless you bought your flights through Royal Caribbean, they are not covered and your missing the ship do to their cancellation will not be covered for a full refund.  You should be covered under the cancel for any reason part of that insurance though, so look into that.  I haven't bought that insurance recently, so am not sure of the percentage it now covers, but it is usually a future cruise credit for a percentage of your cruise fare.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

You will have to look at the details of the current policy but unless you bought your flights through Royal Caribbean, they are not covered and your missing the ship do to their cancellation will not be covered for a full refund.  You should be covered under the cancel for any reason part of that insurance though, so look into that.  I haven't bought that insurance recently, so am not sure of the percentage it now covers, but it is usually a future cruise credit for a percentage of your cruise fare.

Most cancel for any reason requires that you cancel 72 hours before the first day of your trip, so watch out for that too.

• Like 2

It might be worth checking your credit card benefits, as well as your insurance benefits.  Our cc covers many things that insurance would, as long as we paid for our cruise with that card.

Debbie will not be a problem for you. It has already passed the Port Everglades area and will be out of Florida by tomorrow afternoon.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

It might be worth checking your credit card benefits, as well as your insurance benefits.  Our cc covers many things that insurance would, as long as we paid for our cruise with that card.

Same with mine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I don’t think you will be affected. Latest forecast ,  Storm will hit the western part of Florida and move straight up to Georgia. 

Oh I'm praying! I've been planning this vacation for a year and 4 months😆( that's when I booked it)

• Like 2

Just now, Mum2Mercury said:

And you have a whole week before boarding.  That's a lot of time for the storm to pass.  

Hope you have a great vacation.

After our Hurricane Harvey episode in Galveston I have night mares 😆 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

Oh I'm praying! I've been planning this vacation for a year and 4 months😆( that's when I booked it)

5 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

You are still shell-shocked from that crazy experience!  The timing of this storm should work for you but just keep an eye on things, make sure you have alerts setup for your airline and be prepared to pivot if weather is an issue.  You are flying the day before, so that gives you time to deal with flight delays or cancellations.  

Think rainbows and sunshine, not hurricanes! 😄 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

I lost my car to hurricane Ike in Galveston. ..as long as my car is safe nothing can be that bad again imo. Many of us posting are watching from florida. Last rain bands going thru on Tuesday. By next weekend highs around 97 forecast. Going to be hot hot hot  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Royals insurance does not cover flights, even if purchased through A2S.  They would be eligible to file a claim under trip delay to pay extra costs to get them to the next port (payment limits apply).  They would be covered under the CFAR

4 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

Well it will be going up the coast, toward NJ. So could affect your flight from NJ. 

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well it will be going up the coast, toward NJ. So could affect your flight from NJ. 

the storm is projected as of today to hit PA/NJ area Wednesday or Thursday so a Saturday flight should not be impacted by Storm Debby.    

• Like 2

5 hours ago, toxicfairy said:

I used the royal caribbean visa

Does it provide good benefits like this?  Ours is USAA, a standard no-fee card, and the benefits are excellent.

Debbie will for sure be out of your way, but there's another area that's organizing further south.  I'm leaving in 3 weeks, hopefully it won't progress into anything that would interrupt anyone's plans.  

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

the storm is projected as of today to hit PA/NJ area Wednesday or Thursday so a Saturday flight should not be impacted by Storm Debby.    

Funny because North Carolina is expecting the rain Thursday thru the weekend.   But plane-wise think of all the shifting around airlines have to do to get back on schedule.  Honestly if you can leave Friday evening driving and if the storm information in the Carolinas is accurate, I'd drive straight down I95.  Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.