Jewel unable to return to Amsterdam today

11 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Thank you.  Leaving Amsterdam and about to go through the locks on our way to Iceland.  No problems anticipated. 

Hopefully you have smoother seas than Serenade.  🤞

From the UWC thread:  "Rough night last evening. Had to cancel a lot and slow down. Looks like we are behind schedule.  John lost several beers as his room got tossed around".

Better bubble wrap your beer.  😄

11 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

From the UWC thread:  "Rough night last evening. Had to cancel a lot and slow down. Looks like we are behind schedule.  John lost several beers as his room got tossed around".

Captain did say possibly some rough weather but we're heading first to Akureyri then across Northern Iceland,  before heading south to the western fjords and then Reykjavik, so we might have different weather.  Might be a good idea to wrap up the wine!

As we go through the locks, it’s easy to see how it could be interrupted- the locks also act as a road to cross the canal. Seen a few bikes pass by as we wait for the lock to fill with sea water. Not like the locks in Panama or sault st Marie. 

On 8/21/2024 at 4:46 AM, Ocean Boy said:

It is about time the police ended this nonsense.

Agreed.

We turned our fire hoses on protesters/trouble makers in one port but that wasn’t on a cruise ship! 🤩🤩

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Loss of beer is unacceptable.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Earthquake and large fissure volcanic eruption here in Iceland where we are overnighting.  Our long tour in the exact area, ended just 2 hours before the earthquake hit at 8:30 pm last night.   They were already on alert in the area.  

We are safe here in Reykjavik, and actually slept through it.  Tours today cancelled.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, island lady said:

Earthquake and large fissure volcanic eruption here in Iceland where we are overnighting.  Our long tour in the exact area, ended just 2 hours before the earthquake hit at 8:30 pm last night.   They were already on alert in the area.  

We are safe here in Reykjavik, and actually slept through it.  Tours today cancelled.  

When will the ship leave Reykjavik, Patricia?

24 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

When will the ship leave Reykjavik, Patricia?

Currently Cruisemapper has her enroute to Qaqortog, Greenland , it will arrive there on the 26th at 08:45.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Currently Cruisemapper has her enroute to Qaqortog, Greenland , it will arrive there on the 26th at 08:45.

Thanks Jimbo.  Long time without hearing from you!  I hope all is well with you and your DW!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, island lady said:

We left yesterday at 3 pm.  Heading over bouncy seas to Greenland now. 

Thanks Patricia!  I hope the seas calm down for you.  Enjoy Greenland!🥰

8 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Thanks Patricia!  I hope the seas calm down for you.  Enjoy Greenland!🥰

Yes, the seas calmed a bunch around midnight (as Captain Stig predicted).  Very calm now as we are currently rounding the southern horn of Greenland.  Floating ice of all sizes now...with a couple of "grumblers".  🙂   Temp went from 48 degrees to 39 in just a half hour as we get closer to the ice capped mountains.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Yes, the seas calmed a bunch around midnight (as Captain Stig predicted).  Very calm now as we are currently rounding the southern horn of Greenland.  Floating ice of all sizes now...with a couple of "grumblers".  🙂   Temp went from 48 degrees to 39 in just a half hour as we get closer to the ice capped mountains.  

We loved Greenland, especially the day we cruised Prins Christin Sund….in fact we loved it so much, we’re doing it again next year! It’s especially nice when we’ll be there when it’s still brutally hot here. enjoy!!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We loved Greenland, especially the day we cruised Prins Christin Sund….in fact we loved it so much, we’re doing it again next year! It’s especially nice when we’ll be there when it’s still brutally hot here. enjoy!!

We are about to slip into the Prins Christian Sund in a couple of hours.  Some "Growlers" along our path to get to the opening of the Sund. 😉 

20240825_052600.jpg

20240825_052737.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, island lady said:

We are about to slip into the Prins Christian Sund in a couple of hours.  Some "Growlers" along our path to get to the opening of the Sund. 😉 

20240825_052600.jpg

20240825_052737.jpg

Beautiful! We sat outside the whole day.  At one point we hit a large iceberg, we all felt it.

I hope the sun is out so you can see the beautiful blue colors of the ice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

A bit too chilly for us to do that……well, we don’t do it on a hot day either 😆

I did the water slides while docked in Akureyri.  The water was warm, but the air was a little chilly.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I did the water slides while docked in Akureyri.  The water was warm, but the air was a little chilly.

Thats the only place we saw whales…they swam around the ship. We sat on the balcony and watched them. So cool!

Edited by lovesthebeach2
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Thats the only place we saw whales…they swam around the ship. We sat on the balcony and watched them. So cool!

and it was free too. Ya did not have to paying big bucks for one of those excursions.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 5:38 AM, island lady said:

Excellent!  Enjoy!   We got a kick out of walking around the city.  So much activity...and I am not talking cars.   Many trains, huge train station, lots of canals with various types of boats/ferries...and a massive amount of bicycles of all sorts.  

Hello, Pat! After getting off Serenade I stayed in Amsterdam another 3 nights and you aren't kidding about the bicycles, lol! In fact I got so used to hearing the ding of their bike bells that I bought one as souvenir to put on my bike! (To those who don't know, they only ding their bell if someone is about to get run over...) Felt fortunate that several other couples from the cruise were staying at my hotel. It was nice comparing notes. Truly had a wonderful time the entire trip! Enjoyed meeting you and Bucky! Will continue following until the UWC comes home...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CruiszBug said:

Hello, Pat! After getting off Serenade I stayed in Amsterdam another 3 nights and you aren't kidding about the bicycles, lol! In fact I got so used to hearing the ding of their bike bells that I bought one as souvenir to put on my bike! (To those who don't know, they only ding their bell if someone is about to get run over...) Felt fortunate that several other couples from the cruise were staying at my hotel. It was nice comparing notes. Truly had a wonderful time the entire trip! Enjoyed meeting you and Bucky! Will continue following until the UWC comes home...

Was nice meeting you as well!  Miss you two already!  

RCI shoreside decided to skip going to Nuuk due to predicted incoming low pressure system.  Instead we are now steaming directly to Newfoundland.   They have now also added Halifax Nova Scotia as replacement.  All works for us, since we will be in Nuuk (twice) on Viking next year anyway.  I love Halifax and happy we will be going there.  🙂 

• Like 2