overboard!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, babs135 said:

Cruise ship death plunge in front of family: Shocking moment cruise ship passenger falls into the ocean as horrified couple and child look on | Daily Mail Online

When will people realised that it's just about impossible to fall overboard ?  Nevertheless it's very sad.

The article said he lost his footing and fell into sea which is impossible unless he was on railing climbing to something! Yes of course you can loose your footing on deck and fall but not into the sea unless you are doing something you shouldn’t be doing 

Edited by njkate
  • Like 11

I've watched the video of him falling.

Most "news" sites either blur out or skip where you can see him but I've seen and heard the full fall and splash.

Now, it's a search for the NCL security camera footage....before Michael Winkleman manages to get it and claim "software issues" when what he says happened doesn't match what the un-edited video shows happened. 🙄

27 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I've seen and heard the full fall and splash.

So you have seen and heard it.  Do you think this was a straight-forward fall, or was the victim doing something wrong like climbing above or on the railing?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, itsnotjustme said:

So you have seen and heard it.  Do you think this was a straight-forward fall, or was the victim doing something wrong like climbing above or on the railing?

There is a frame in the link posted by the OP. It shows the man going feet first with both of his hands holding something (a backpack?) in front of him.

His legs are in a position that someone would have if (*speculation on my part*) he was sitting on a railing with his knees bent. If you look at the photo, you'll see what I mean. He's not in focus and it happens very quickly. As he falls, he looks to be leaning to his left side just before he is out of frame. I had to slow the video down to .03% just to get about 8 frames and none are exactly clear. I'll continue to look for better video.  

EDIT

By "full fall", I mean the video captured by the camera as he fell past the family, not the entire fall. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

I don't know what happened, but I do recall that the railing on the top deck of the NCL Spirit was a lower height than on most ships that I've been on.  There were a few times in strong winds that I felt nervous while walking along it.

2 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

Question, is the Spirit still chartered out?  If so is it still an NCL crew?

It is still chartered out. I was on the last cruise before the charter and some of the crew were staying onboard and some were transferring. They were training a lot of new crew members of Chinese descent. Especially in the dining room.

On 8/10/2024 at 3:23 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

There is a frame in the link posted by the OP. It shows the man going feet first with both of his hands holding something (a backpack?) in front of him.

His legs are in a position that someone would have if (*speculation on my part*) he was sitting on a railing with his knees bent. If you look at the photo, you'll see what I mean. He's not in focus and it happens very quickly. As he falls, he looks to be leaning to his left side just before he is out of frame. I had to slow the video down to .03% just to get about 8 frames and none are exactly clear. I'll continue to look for better video.  

EDIT

By "full fall", I mean the video captured by the camera as he fell past the family, not the entire fall. 

Do you have a link to the vid you saw?