Suite passengers

jaypo63

6 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Well my last cruise was with Princess and we were allowed to turn up any time after 11am. I was wondering how that would work and turned out that we took ages to embark. So not such a good system after all. Much prefer being given a time with P&O which has worked so well recently with speedy embarkation. Late embarkation doesn’t bother me. 

We have had 2 cruises with Princess in 2023 and 2024, and not had any problem at all with the embarkation procedure. However I can imagine that if the previous cruise had a delayed disembarkation, then the following cruise could well be affected, which might have been the reason you had such a poor experience.  And of course such a situation would equally impact the P&O procedure, so I still feel that the Princess, RC, Celebrity, MSC etc system is light years better than P&O, and they really need to fine tune their procedures and join the rest of the cruise industry in the 21st century.

7 hours ago, david63 said:

That could be dependant on the number of American's on the cruise. If there are a lot of Americans then embarkation is quicker as the American arrive by coach mid afternoon.

Not the case on our cruise. Fewer than 1000 passengers from UK and 1500 Americans. Place was heaving just before 12 midday. 

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We have had 2 cruises with Princess in 2023 and 2024, and not had any problem at all with the embarkation procedure. However I can imagine that if the previous cruise had a delayed disembarkation, then the following cruise could well be affected, which might have been the reason you had such a poor experience.  And of course such a situation would equally impact the P&O procedure, so I still feel that the Princess, RC, Celebrity, MSC etc system is light years better than P&O, and they really need to fine tune their procedures and join the rest of the cruise industry in the 21st century.

To be honest, it wasn’t a poor experience as such, just some waiting (sitting down inside) and as I had my Kindle, I was already in holiday mode and switched off! 
If it hadn’t been for some comments on here saying that the Princess embarkation was superior, I don’t think actually we would have gone there so early. I was just curious to see how it would work. I mean common sense tells me that if everyone turns up at the earlier times, then there’s going to be waiting. So how does it work then if there’s ‘open’ embarkation? 

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

To be honest, it wasn’t a poor experience as such, just some waiting (sitting down inside) and as I had my Kindle, I was already in holiday mode and switched off! 
If it hadn’t been for some comments on here saying that the Princess embarkation was superior, I don’t think actually we would have gone there so early. I was just curious to see how it would work. I mean common sense tells me that if everyone turns up at the earlier times, then there’s going to be waiting. So how does it work then if there’s ‘open’ embarkation? 

We are in the top Elite tier of the Princess Captains circle and are supposed to get some sort of priority boarding, but then so are the majority of our fellow passengers, we also receive wheelchair assistance which might also give us a slight advantage. But whatever the reason we sailed through boarding on both occasions, and were on Sky Princess in about 15 minutes from entering the terminal.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We are in the top Elite tier of the Princess Captains circle and are supposed to get some sort of priority boarding, but then so are the majority of our fellow passengers, we also receive wheelchair assistance which might also give us a slight advantage. But whatever the reason we sailed through boarding on both occasions, and were on Sky Princess in about 15 minutes from entering the terminal.

We don't qualify for an extra lunch yet, but will after our next cruise. We will probably give it a miss as I don't relish having lunch with folk telling me what status they have. Next month we cruise on Anthem. We will then be Elite on Celebrity and diamond in the Crown and Anchor. That won't change me as I have been flashing the C&A table in my " tux " for years. I had an email from RC to select my boarding time...quite civilised.

Edited by zap99

21 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I seem to recall that you and I were on the same Princess cruise last year, and I agree that their system did appear to be so much better than P&O, but it has now changed.  Last year you selected your boarding time in advance from available times, now it really does appear to be a ‘turn up when you want’ system.

I’m cruising with Princess again next month and so I’ll get to experience the new ‘free for all’ system myself.  I am puzzled as to why they changed it.

Too many messages I've missed above to quote, so hopefully those concerned get to read this (Give it a "like" so I know, thanks)

So being in a suite, this is how my boarding went:

Arrived at the terminal at 11:00 am

Checked in and was handed a card for the lunch

Went through security at 11:15 am

Was onboard at 11:35 am and went to muster station (E near Havana)

Then went to Saffron for Lunch and was served at 12:00 pm.

This is the menu for the lunch: Menu.thumb.jpg.d9a313cc252389e4c0bf1a264c842ce3.jpg 

I had the Beef choice

Beef.thumb.jpg.e88327088d15fc0ba83aca6334cb9957.jpg

Which was very nice. You get free drinks here, so make the most of that as well. 

No one was talking about status or what loyalty they were. We had polite and friendly conversations with other couples, mainly about if first time cruising or first time to the Canary Islands. 

Then we had time to explore the ship. We met Ventura Bear in the Atrium and by 2 pm it was announced that the cabins were available.

Our suitcases were waiting for us when we got to our suite room.

Hope this helps others and as you can see the lunch was a nice easy way  to start the cruise without the bumrush of the Buffet. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SausPud said:

Too many messages I've missed above to quote, so hopefully those concerned get to read this (Give it a "like" so I know, thanks)

This is the menu for the lunch: Menu.thumb.jpg.d9a313cc252389e4c0bf1a264c842ce3.jpg 

I had the Beef choice

Which was very nice. You get free drinks here, so make the most of that as well. 

No one was talking about status or what loyalty they were. We had polite and friendly conversations with other couples, mainly about if first time cruising or first time to the Canary Islands. 

Then we had time to explore the ship. We met Ventura Bear in the Atrium and by 2 pm it was announced that the cabins were available.

Hope this helps others and as you can see the lunch was a nice easy way  to start the cruise without the bumrush of the Buffet. 

Nice. We just got their embarkation buffet in one of the MDRs on Arvia last month: pleasant dishes - and lovely not to be at the Horizons buffet - but not a patch on the sort of menu you had and we have had previously sometimes on Iona and Britannia on embarkation: mind you that varies between a buffet they put on and a menu with table service…..pot luck maybe!

We’ve also never had anyone going on about their status etc in the embarkation lunch: mind you if we did my OH would probably tell them bluntly that nobody cares! Now if only P&O suite benefits were impressive: it’s all a bit meh….but first world problems and all that!

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Camberley said:

Now if only P&O suite benefits were impressive: it’s all a bit meh….but first world problems and all that!

The only benefits that we enjoyed as Suite guests were:

The breakfast in the Epicurean

Free room service

The Butler (had friends round to our cabin and he arranged a pizza and doughnut party, there were children involved) 

and that was it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, SausPud said:

The only benefits that we enjoyed as Suite guests were:

The breakfast in the Epicurean

Free room service

The Butler (had friends round to our cabin and he arranged a pizza and doughnut party, there were children involved) 

and that was it.

Yes the Epicurean breakfast was always fabulous. And the suites themselves: for us those aft suites are perfection. But if only something like free WiFi or drinks were included or even speciality evening dining a few times etc

Edited by Camberley

I sometimes wonder if it is possible to 'simplify' cruises, well perhaps all holidays?

So an inside cabin cost £x, an outside £xx, a balcony £xxx and a suite £xxxx - this would apply  from launch to sailing.  Cabins of your chosen type would be sold on a first come, first served basis so those booking early would get the best choice.  You could then carry this through for boarding times eg the first 200 bookings get 11.30, the next 200 11.45 or whatever - you get what I mean.

I can see it would save lots of problems but, who knows, maybe it would cause many more😊

2 hours ago, Waju said:

You could then carry this through for boarding times eg the first 200 bookings get 11.30, the next 200 11.45 or whatever - you get what I mean.

That would not work any more than it does now because it does not take into account the passenger's mode of transport. For example it is pointless giving someone an 11:30 boarding time if they are travelling by coach which does not arrive until 14:00.

The way around this is to allow passengers to select their own boarding time on a first come basis but interestingly that was the system Princess used until recently when they abandoned boarding times and now allow passengers to arrive whenever they want and there does not appear to be any major problems.

What I, and many others, cannot understand is why Princess which is a Carnival brand in the same way as P&O can use the same staff in the same terminals and have a much smoother embarkation process.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, SausPud said:

I had the Beef choice

We aren't top of the loyalty tree, or in a suite, so will join bumrush in the buffet or perhaps a burger. Beef looked a bit gristly.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, david63 said:

The way around this is to allow passengers to select their own boarding time on a first come basis but interestingly that was the system Princess used until recently when they abandoned boarding times and now allow passengers to arrive whenever they want and there does not appear to be any major problems.

What I, and many others, cannot understand is why Princess which is a Carnival brand in the same way as P&O can use the same staff in the same terminals and have a much smoother embarkation process.

Well we turned up early for our Princess Cruise in June and it was quite a lengthy wait. Whereas we’ve always had a set time with P&O and embarkation has been very quick, including Iona in April. 

22 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Well we turned up early for our Princess Cruise in June and it was quite a lengthy wait. Whereas we’ve always had a set time with P&O and embarkation has been very quick, including Iona in April. 

Not my experience with Princess. The only hold up we have encountered was getting through security, no more than five minutes waiting at check-in and once through security were straight on the ship and this was before midday.

• Thanks 1

We have an arrival time of 2.15 for our cruise next month, no helpful loyalty level as yet. Don't want to be sent to the naughty step, but don't want to wait behind coachloads of passengers either. Any ideas of a good time to get there? We were thinking of trying to make it around 1.45 (I am a wheelchair user but don't need assistance, if that makes a difference).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slugsta said:

We have an arrival time of 2.15 for our cruise next month, no helpful loyalty level as yet. Don't want to be sent to the naughty step, but don't want to wait behind coachloads of passengers either. Any ideas of a good time to get there? We were thinking of trying to make it around 1.45 (I am a wheelchair user but don't need assistance, if that makes a difference).

Nobody can say what the situation on the day will be but under "normal" circumstances I would think that 13:45, or even 13:30, would be OK especially as you have a wheelchair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slugsta said:

I agree with what David has said as coaches are scheduled to arrive between 2pm and 4pm as I understand it.  Assuming it is the Canada/US cruise you will be arriving for, so as long cruises often have a larger number of higher level loyalty passengers, a lot of people will have embarkation times of 12.30pm or earlier.  We are Baltic and have been given 12.30pm, though we will actually already be on the ship for the previous one week cruise.

If you are parking your car at the port (CPS or P4C), then allow some time to hand your car over, though that should not take long.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Slugsta said:

Sorry, just realised I meant to say that the coaches arrive between 2pm and 3pm earlier today.  I should have checked my post for mistakes before I left it. May be best to stick with just the half hour early in case you are asked to wait.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, zap99 said:

We aren't top of the loyalty tree, or in a suite, so will join bumrush in the buffet or perhaps a burger. Beef looked a bit gristly.

Bumrush? I've never heard that word before. Cant wait to use it! Every day a school day on this page 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ess001 said:

Bumrush? I've never heard that word before. Cant wait to use it! Every day a school day on this page 🙂 

Somebody else used it before me. They wanted to know about the welcome lunch for top tier suite guests. Not bothered really it's only lunch.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ess001 said:

It is indeed and be careful not to get the bums rush.

45 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Somebody else used it before me. They wanted to know about the welcome lunch for top tier suite guests. Not bothered really it's only lunch.

Only a lunch!!!!! B******* the lunch. 🙂 3/4 glasses of wine just starts the cruise well.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

After 20+ consecutive cruises with P&O we had our first cruise with MSC at the end of July. With P&O we usually arrive around our priority boarding time and rarely have any problems. With MSC we were allocated 12pm so arrived then and were greeted with a huge queue which we were told we had to join despite having priority boarding. There were no boarding time checks or holding lines whatsoever.

In the end they allowed us to bypass the queue by joining my in-laws who travelled with us and had assisted boarding (though that in itself was nowhere near as well organised as with P&O). I liked the fact that security checks came first so the check in process after that was extremely quick.

Onboard we met one couple who had been allocated 1pm, arrived at 9am instead, and boarded around 9:45am. We also saw a YouTube video by a family who arrived at 8am (seriously) and boarded around 90 minutes later!

Edited by DamianG