Has anyone asked the kitchen or MTD about getting Indian food one night in the MDR lately?

AlpacaBag

Good evening all. Hope you're well.

I recall reading on several threads that cruisers sailing with Princess were able to phone the kitchen after they boarded and request that they be served and Indian style of dinner one night in the main dining room. It had to be done several days in advance.

I'm curious if this is still something Princess is doing and if anyone has opted for this lately, if so, I would love to know what your experience was like.

I know it could change between now and our sailing in December but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks! 😊

I have never heard of anyone calling up the kitchen to make a request for Indian dishes.  They have this in the buffet and serve it several times in the MDR.  You could try to place an order with your Assistant Manager (Head Waiter), but Indian food is difficult to make on an individual request.  

Which ship/itinerary?

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have never heard of anyone calling up the kitchen to make a request for Indian dishes.  They have this in the buffet and serve it several times in the MDR.  You could try to place an order with your Assistant Manager (Head Waiter), but Indian food is difficult to make on an individual request.  

Which ship/itinerary?

At one time you could ask your waiter and order off-menu Indian the night before, but I don't know about currently, meaning with anytime dining. Same table and wait staff, sure. When people move around each night, that would be an issue.

The waiter would ask the head waiter to come over and you'd place an order. We'd say chef's choice with chicken. We ordered it hot and it came so mild a 5 year old could eat it.

I can't answer about recently because the buffet has been increasingly offering SE Asian foods; curries and such. Though Princess gets the names of those dishes incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AlpacaBag said:

I recall reading on several threads that cruisers sailing with Princess were able to phone the kitchen after they boarded and request that they be served and Indian style of dinner one night in the main dining room. It had to be done several days in advance.

I'm curious if this is still something Princess is doing and if anyone has opted for this lately, if so, I would love to know what your experience was like.

I know it could change between now and our sailing in December but I figured I'd ask.

Thanks! 😊

Depending on your definition of "recently..."

We did this on the Caribbean Princess two years ago (August 2022).  We asked the Head Waiter in the Coral dining room the day before, he asked us what we liked (meat or all vegetable, spicy or not, etc.) and we had it served the next day.  Many of the cooks are Indian, so no problem at all--or at least did not used to be a problem.  We did it just for the two of us, but have heard of people planning it for their trivia teams or others they have met.  The more people you have at a table, the more different dishes you can get to share. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AlpacaBag said:

Thanks! 😊

My husband usually does this at least once every cruise. We eat in the same dining room with the same staff.  After a few days of building a rapport he will bring it up to either our waiter or restaurant manager. So far he has been met with enthusiasm especially if the crew are from India.  And so far he has really enjoyed all the offerings. Yes you need to give advance notice. He always asks which evening would be most convenient for them.  Things like formal night and evenings with special events (that we don’t necessarily know about) would not be good nights to request a special dinner. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

My husband usually does this at least once every cruise. We eat in the same dining room with the same staff.  After a few days of building a rapport he will bring it up to either our waiter or restaurant manager. So far he has been met with enthusiasm especially if the crew are from India.  And so far he has really enjoyed all the offerings. Yes you need to give advance notice. He always asks which evening would be most convenient for them.  Things like formal night and evenings with special events (that we don’t necessarily know about) would not be good nights to request a special dinner. 

So there is hope for chicken korma now that it’s off the lunch menu?  Yum……

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Sadly, no. They will make an Indian dish when you arrange it with the assistant restaurant manager the night prior. Korma with all the toppings was a no go. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Sadly, no. They will make an Indian dish when you arrange it with the assistant restaurant manager the night prior. Korma with all the toppings was a no go. 

That is truly tragic news, but thank you for delivering it. 

4 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

That is truly tragic news, but thank you for delivering it. 

The last four ships we've been on since the new lunch menu made it's debut, no Korma with toppings selection in the MDR can be requested at dinner. They would bring chef's choice for the Indian dish, as us what our spice level was, and it was always delicious. You can get korma in the buffet though, just not the same.

• Like 1

On the Island princess April this year,  our Head waiter (who was Indian) arranged for us to have Indian food on a couple of occasions.

We left the choice to him and the food was excellent and spicy 🌶️ just the way we like it !

We had a fish, prawn and Veggie dishes with Nan, rice and Dahl .

Plan on asking again this week on the Ruby 🤞

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Yes my friend. There is. I really must thank you for turning me on to this. I had always seen it on the lunch menu but never ordered it until after I read your post about medical dragging (my words not yours lol) you away from your just delivered korma. You spoke so eloquently of it that I just had to order it next time I sailed. And you were 100% spot on. It is stunningly delicious.  But I’ve learned that one must ask for ALL the toppings (must be at least 8 )and the mango chutney (just leave the jar….walk away…..don’t look back) 

Edit:

‘I’ve now read all the remaining posts. Idk why we’ve been so lucky in our ask. I haven’t sailed on Princess since disembarking Jan 4, 2024 (after 34 days) A lifetime ago in Princess Land. We are doing a short Thanksgiving cruise and wouldn’t ask on such a short sailing. Our next longish (16 days) Princess sailing isn’t until Jan 30 2025. I will lower my expectations for getting that special request I guess. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

As always it depends on who you happen to ask, and who might know you, and who likes you (or doesn't, hint hint).  We have been luck to receive our requests pretty much every time we ask, but YMMV.

• Like 1

We've spent almost 40 nights at sea over the last 7 months, and there is always Indian food on the menu at dinner. Each night, there is a different item under Princess favorites, and some nights, there is an additional item on the regular menu. There has also been several items at the buffet each day for lunch, but we have only been on Royal class ships recently.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I love that chicken Korma but I must say, the chicken curry they serve during the pub lunch is just as good.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I disembarked Sky Princess last week and had chicken korma in the buffet one lunch time. I usually eat light at lunch time but saw the korma and had some, It was probably the best chicken korma I have ever had, and I eat at a lot of Indian restaurants.

• Like 1

We are sailing princess for the first time in a few weeks.  I must say I am pleasantly surprised at all the positive information regarding indian food.   I love Indian cuisine and I look forward to trying the princess version.

• Like 1

2 years ago we found out we could ask for this and as it was my DH's birthday, we just asked our waiter when we went for dinner. The Maitre D' came over  and said he would check with the chef. He then came back with list of options and we chose what we wanted. There was loads of food. Just to be clear, this was a cruise with just 1000 pax on board so it easier to accommodate us, I would now know to ask the day before.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2024 at 4:59 PM, startedwithamouse said:

The last four ships we've been on since the new lunch menu made it's debut, no Korma with toppings selection in the MDR can be requested at dinner. They would bring chef's choice for the Indian dish, as us what our spice level was, and it was always delicious. You can get korma in the buffet though, just not the same.

Can  please ask what Korma with toppings is? In the UK Korma is a mild coconut milk/cream curry. Thanks

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

On P&O cruise ships they have Indian on certain nights in the buffet. Reading the comments for Princess it seems it is much more available in both the buffet and MDR or am I just reading this wrong ?

I've always enjoyed Indian food on the buffet, whether lunch or dinner, there's always an Indian station with multiple options.  It's very good.

We were on the Discovery Princess in June of this year, in Reserve Class.  At our first dinner, we noticed our waiter was from India, and DH asked him if Indian food was available at dinner.  Yes!  One had to give 24 hours' notice.  The dining room manager came over to take the request and asked if curried fish would be OK; also mentioned a couple other items for our approval, and what degree of spiciness we wanted.  All agreed on the next night for this dinner.  That next night turned out to be a formal night but no problem with the dinner.  We ordered salads off the usual menu, then were brought curried halibut, curried vegetables, roti, and papadam (more than we could eat of all these).  We were told that a Filipino dinner also could be ordered in advance.

I think one would not have to be in Reserve Class to pull this off; in fact we will be dining in a MDR this December and plan to ask for one or the other special meal!

• Like 2