Canaleto

lstrong

People seem to rave about the osso buco - I've never had that, however. My favorite item on the current menu is the burrata appetizer, which is big enough to be my meal. The meatballs are very good too.

My favorite dessert was dropped during the last menu change, but the lemon ricotta cheesecake they added is very good. If the short ribs are still on the menu, they're good too. 

Sue/WDW1972

8 hours ago, lstrong said:

I have never had dinner here. I see the menu on the app. Any suggestions, favorites?  Thanks!

Also agree the mussel, scallop & calamari trenette is delicious. I have it at least once a cruise.

SHORT RIB is superb.  On a recent cruise DW had King Crab (Norwegian Red) in Canaletto.  It was excellent as well.  There is a "special item" each day of the week. 

What is the cost these days for this restaurant? If we recall  it has gone up twice since we last dined there .When we last fined there I had the lamb shops which were very tasty .They no longer offer lamb chops 

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

What is the cost these days for this restaurant? If we recall  it has gone up twice since we last dined there .When we last fined there I had the lamb shops which were very tasty .They no longer offer lamb chops 

The specialty restaurant menus and costs are on the website and app.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another vote for the meatballs, they’ve always been delicious and I always have them. My favourite dessert is the trio of gelatos. DH always has the tiramisu - the presentation has varied over the years, but it’s always delicious! IMG_7986.thumb.jpeg.ea97be152c2a8738dd4a494f0d769654.jpegIMG_7995.thumb.jpeg.32e360f78c6ff32ace195d33bb94cd5c.jpeg

Edited by luv2cruisenz

20 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I love the Canaletto Salad.  Also the Veal and Sage Meatballs, and the Shrimp Scampi (and any shrimp entree). 

We dine at Canaletto's on average 2 - 3 times a week on our cruises. I can't eat salads (I have diverticulitis): however, my wife enjoys the Canaletto salad, and I like the veal and sage meatballs. We both enjoy the Shrimp scampi and the lobster (additional charge) pasta. The garlic/oil/parmesan pesto is yummy.  We have excellent service at Canaletto's and the staff is helpful in answering any questions about the food.  

• Like 1

Personal preference for sure. We’ve eaten there once not as good as my Italian at home so I don’t pay for it. I’m a pinnacle girl and I’m sure there’s people who don’t like it so to each his own give it a try and see what you think.

Canaletto daily specials are served in an established sequence by cruise day (except Koningsdam so far as I have determined). For longer cruises, the sequence restarts on the 12th cruise day.  Days 9 - 11 are the Chefs choice of veal or lamb chop.  Note that the Canaletto is closed on Embarkation Day so that the Lido Market can have more tables for their Steak Night.

Aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam last year, I tried every daily special as well as my favorite Ossobucco.  Unlike the PG on nearly every ship, the scallops were actually seared and the crispy prosciutto quite a treat.  From the regular Canaletto menu, eating the meat balls and Ossobcco at the same meal can be too filling.  The veal chop served on longer cruises was another favorite.  While trying each dessert, I always include my favorite pistachio gelato.

Here is a link to the combined Canaletto menus in the order of daily specials (I will verify the sequence in November):  Canaletto Daily Specials Menus (combined) Sequence

Here is a link to photos of the daily specials as well as some regular offerings:  Canaletto Photos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If we use  the Pinnacle Restaurant we do that one for  lunch on a sea day . We persoally prefer Tamarind & Canaletto  for the special restaurants  . all 3 ,4 & 5 star mariners get special discounted prices  which is fihured in automatically along with the tip 

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

Canaletto daily specials are served in an established sequence by cruise day (except Koningsdam so far as I have determined). For longer cruises, the sequence restarts on the 12th cruise day.  Days 9 - 11 are the Chefs choice of veal or lamb chop.  Note that the Canaletto is closed on Embarkation Day so that the Lido Market can have more tables for their Steak Night.

Aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam last year, I tried every daily special as well as my favorite Ossobucco.  Unlike the PG on nearly every ship, the scallops were actually seared and the crispy prosciutto quite a treat.  From the regular Canaletto menu, eating the meat balls and Ossobcco at the same meal can be too filling.  The veal chop served on longer cruises was another favorite.  While trying each dessert, I always include my favorite pistachio gelato.

Here is a link to the combined Canaletto menus in the order of daily specials (I will verify the sequence in November):  Canaletto Daily Specials Menus (combined) Sequence

Here is a link to photos of the daily specials as well as some regular offerings:  Canaletto Photos

Thanks for this!!

Can you clarify. When it says days 2-4 is that same special on for 3 nights in a row? How does it work when it says days 9.10, OR 11? 

If these dates hold it will help me make our reservations.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thanks for this!!

Can you clarify. When it says days 2-4 is that same special on for 3 nights in a row? How does it work when it says days 9.10, OR 11? 

If these dates hold it will help me make our reservations.

Three nights in a row for some type of fish.

For those cruises longer than the typical 7-Days, the last three days of the sequence (Days 9-11), either the lamb or veal chop will be served (check the daily menu while onboard).  

I learned of the menu sequence on the Nieuw Amsterdam last October and verified the sequence on the Eurodam in February.  I made my reservations for the April Koningsdam to have the filet and then once onboard, I learned that the Koningsdam staff chose to not use the fleet-wide Canaletto menu sequence.  In May, I verified the original sequence on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  I will do another sequence verification in November. 

I will renumber the menus in the next few minutes.

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

@Crew News Re: Canaletto being closed embarkation day. Is this new and fleet wide to your knowledge? We’ve always dined there on embarkation day and our last cruise, May 2023 on Zuiderdam, it was open along with two subsequent turnover days. We’re not sailing HAL again (as of now) until 2026 and wouldn’t cancel our cruise because of this but it’s definitely something we look forward to. And, I guess a lot can happen between now and then anyway, as I know HAL thrives on inconsistency, lol.