Love Boat Horn?

dweidensaul

Posted (edited)

The Love Boat Horn.  I'm sure some love it and some hate it.  I am one who loves it.  I was disappointed on my recent sailing aboard Majestic to Alaska where it wasn't used though.  The entertainment staff made a reference during one trivia that Princess would be fined $30K per use if using it on that itinerary.  Anyone have in better insight into this?  I'm hoping it's not an intellectual property thing and that Princess still uses it elsewhere and in the future.  Or is it just an Alaska thing?

Edited by dweidensaul

Definitely, a restriction in Alaska and some other areas of the world.

Wildlife in Alaska is one reason we were told.  

Once, we had to use the foghorn because of very dense fog and the Captain said,

“I always wanted to toot my horn in Alaska, as otherwise it is forbidden!”

This was a safety issue, other ships in the glacier area.

• Like 6

There are more noise restrictions in certain itineraries, Alaska being just one of them.  I even heard that San Francisco doesn’t allow MUTS to play after a certain time in the evening.  

I love the horn wars but it’s definitely not suitable on these itineraries.  Never fear, they are still alive and well in the Caribbean. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

There are more noise restrictions in certain itineraries, Alaska being just one of them.  I even heard that San Francisco doesn’t allow MUTS to play after a certain time in the evening.  

I love the horn wars but it’s definitely not suitable on these itineraries.  Never fear, they are still alive and well in the Caribbean. 

Especially, when 2 Princess ships are in port!😆

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Never fear, they are still alive and well in the Caribbean.

As I recall they sounded the Love Boat horn during our Discovery TSE cruise departing from LA Harbor in April.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

As I recall they sounded the Love Boat horn during our Discovery TSE cruise departing from LA Harbor in April.

I believe you are right about that.  

On 8/21/2024 at 5:31 AM, dweidensaul said:

The Love Boat Horn.  I'm sure some love it and some hate it.  I am one who loves it.  I was disappointed on my recent sailing aboard Majestic to Alaska where it wasn't used though.  The entertainment staff made a reference during one trivia that Princess would be fined $30K per use if using it on that itinerary.  Anyone have in better insight into this?  I'm hoping it's not an intellectual property thing and that Princess still uses it elsewhere and in the future.  Or is it just an Alaska thing?

Princess is not permitted to use it while leaving Seattle?

I HATE the Love Boat horn. Especially on the early Royal class ships because the last note is out of tune. They fixed it on the later ones. But I like the traditional cruise ship horn. In my mind it diminishes the brand and makes it Carnival-ish. Princess is classier than that. But I know I’m in the minority. 

A few years ago on our Regal New England cruise as we left Newport we sailed past a fancy outdoor wedding in progress on the shore and the captain stopped and sounded the horn.  Everyone on shore cheered.  I assumed it was planned because if it was my wedding and a random cruise ship interrupted my fancy Newport mansion wedding I might not be amused 🙂  

It was a beautiful evening and something we still talk about.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You could make the Love Boat horn the ringtone on your cell phone if you love it so much.

Although I hate to start this it might be interesting and also absolutely irrelevant to cruise for people to discuss what ring tomes people have on their phones.  I have Also sprach Zarathustra for people I know and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"  for other calls.  

DON

• Like 1

We were several nights into our Alaskan cruise aboard the Discovery earlier this month when I first heard the love boat theme play. I believe it was as we were pulling away from the dock at Skagway. I was surprised by it but loved it.  We never did hear it again. I don't know if that was the only time it was played, or if we were in louder venues or whatever and just didn't hear it the other times.

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know if they play it when leaving Southampton.  All of our previous cruises have been from Fort Lauderdale.  I love hearing it as we sail away and assumed we would here it, but am now wondering.

Edited by Mara4166

I think that Princess identifying with The Love Boat is to its advantage & sets it apart from all the other mass market main stream cruise lines Celebrity, etc.  After all, The Love Boat show was instrumental in creating the entire leisure cruise industry that we know today!  So many ships look alike, but when you hear that horn, you know it’s a Princess ship—instant brand recognition that implies romance, adventure & a good time.

VIva ❤️🚢 !!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

I wish Princess would just get over the whole Love Boat thing. It really does detract from the cruise experience.

There were thousands of customer who love it enough to go on a love boat themed cruise earlier this year with the original “crew”. 
Live and let live! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mara4166 said:

Does anyone know if they play it when leaving Southampton.  All of our previous cruises have been from Fort Lauderdale.  I love hearing it as we sail away and assumed we would here it, but am now wondering.

Yes they do. We left Southampton on Sky last month and it was played on departure from almost every port, often twice. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

There were thousands of customer who love it enough to go on a love boat themed cruise earlier this year with the original “crew”.

Specious argument. There would be thousands of customers who would sign up for any themed cruise no matter what it is. There are always fanatics to be found.

23 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

Specious argument. There would be thousands of customers who would sign up for any themed cruise no matter what it is. There are always fanatics to be found.

Really? 4,000 of them? At least they’ve found some like minded people to cruise with and fill a whole ship so it doesn’t disturb those who aren’t like minded.