I WONDER if I should ICON?

Posted (edited)

Hey, family of three with a three year old here!  Would you recommend a grand suite on wonder at $12k or a junior suite on icon for $7k? We have an 5k future cruise credit to use.  Obviously the wonder is Sky class and icon isn’t.  Wonder has better ports, Icon is Mexico. Thanks!

Edited by vision14k

1 minute ago, vision14k said:

Would you recommend a grand suite on wonder at $12k or a junior suite on icon for $7k?

Neither. Get a regular balcony on Wonder or Icon (whichever is cheaper) and put the savings into the kids' 529 account.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Neither. Get a regular balcony on Wonder or Icon (whichever is cheaper) and put the savings into the kids' 529 account.

Solid, but that wasn’t a choice on my multiple choice exam! 🙂 Kid’s college is already paid for btw.

Edited by vision14k
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vision14k said:

Hey, family of three with a three year old here!  Would you recommend a grand suite on wonder at $12k or a junior suite on icon for $7k? We have an 5k future cruise credit to use.  Obviously the wonder is Sky class and icon isn’t.  Wonder has better ports, Icon is Mexico. Thanks!

I'm always going to choose the cheaper option, and it's also a new class. Icon for sure. A JS will have a bathtub for your little one, and better ports. Personally I'm sick of western.

Icon and Star are the only icon choices. No brainer for me. Maybe you can get lucky and some ck visits even in a JS. Depends how crowded with higher level they are.

My TA loved Icon. Star is on my list because it leaves from PC. But icon would be nice. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm always going to choose the cheaper option, and it's also a new class. Icon for sure. A JS will have a bathtub for your little one, and better ports. Personally I'm sick of western.

Icon and Star are the only icon choices. No brainer for me. Maybe you can get lucky and some ck visits even in a JS. Depends how crowded with higher level they are.

My TA loved Icon. Star is on my list because it leaves from PC. But icon would be nice. 

Icon has the western ports (Mexico). Also the junior suite would be in the front of the ship, usually we try to stick to the middle due to ship movement which is a concern.

Edited by vision14k

40 minutes ago, vision14k said:

Icon has the western ports (Mexico). Also the junior suite would be in the front of the ship, usually we try to stick to the middle due to ship movement which is a concern.

Such a large ship I dont worry about motion, though I admit I prefer aft. Just because it's closer to the WJ or MDR. I've been to cozumel over 100 times. So I'm willing to pay extra for eastern ports. Though your 3 year old would probably love holding a sloth in roatan. That never gets old for me. If you get seasick easily then pick what you feel best. I pick aft when I can, but have some forward cabins, lol including a balcony on voyager for a 13 day TA. Now that could be rocky but a larger ship in the caribbean. I dont care... except its further to walk.

Icon has the new infinity pool and new stuff and cost seems like 3 X more to build. That would win for me. 

Posted (edited)

If the price isn't a consideration... I'd choose wonder.

GS > JS

Eastern > Western

Newness ~=

Sky class > Sea class 

The one caveat is if you have been on an Oasis class ship a ton then I might lean towards Icon just for something new.

Edited by Tree_skier

Variety of complimentary food and at cost that is avaiable from morning to late night on Icon should be considered. After 7 nights was dissapointed I didn't get a catch to go back to some venues for a 2nd time, where as most cruises I feel like I repeat after a few days. 

1 hour ago, SilkySal said:

Icon also has Jr suites in the Sky class.

Except now you dont get wifi any more. They were more attractive to me when they did. That's the main perk I care about. I hardly drink so doesnt matter if I get drinks or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vision14k said:

Wonder has better ports

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

and better ports. Personally I'm sick of western. 

Very sincerely.... there's no way you're booking either of these ships "for the ports"

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Except now you dont get wifi any more. They were more attractive to me when they did. That's the main perk I care about. I hardly drink so doesnt matter if I get drinks or not.

Pretty sure you do on Icon and Utopia... just not on older ships where they just reclassified a handful of JS's as Sky Class after they came up with the idea.

P.S. FWIW, not including wifi on all of them makes zero sense to me.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Pretty sure you do on Icon and Utopia... just not on older ships where they just reclassified a handful of JS's as Sky Class after they came up with the idea.

P.S. FWIW, not including wifi on all of them makes zero sense to me.

Ok you are correct. I forgot these higher priced ships werent affected ... yet.

23 hours ago, vision14k said:

Okay, choice A: Grand Suite Wonder vs choice B: Junior Suite Icon.  For us, the itinerary would drive the choice, so A.

17 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Very sincerely.... there's no way you're booking either of these ships "for the ports"

Sincerely, would take St. Thomas and St.  Maarten any day over Roatan and Cozumel.  It’s a personal preference.  

. Wonder has better ports, Icon is Mexico. Thanks!

It looks to me like you already have made a choice you're leaning to.

3 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Sincerely, would take St. Thomas and St.  Maarten any day over Roatan and Cozumel.  It’s a personal preference.  

Agree, mostly because you get harassed on the beaches much less. But all 4 of these options have been done to death by anyone who cruises regularly.

The southern route out of San Juan is my favorite, but the ships they've been putting there the last few years haven't been worth taking that flight. The minute they put a Voyager or Freedom class back there, I'll be done with both the eastern and the western for a while!