Comments please……..

suech1970

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I wasn't complaining about the size of the balcony itself on Princess, I was complaining about the size of the room and, especially the bathroom. I agree with you that those infinite Verandas on Celebrity's E Class are terrible. They are the main reason we still haven't sailed E Class and stick to M and S Class on Celebrity.

Princess has the worst rooms at sea unless you book a deluxe balcony (only on newer ships) and up. No chair to sit in other than the desk chair and no table for room service. The showers are a joke and we are small people. I can't imagine how anyone of size deals with it. I hate that the first thing you see is an open closet the minute you walk in and the fact that it's exposed when they leave the doors open while cleaning the room. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have better appointed rooms even in an interior. We sailed on Summit in an ocean view and it was very comfortable and the shower was large. I would rather sail in an ocean view than an IV which is just an ocean view with an upgrade. I booked a deluxe balcony for our upcoming Mediterranean cruise with Princess

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Princess has the worst rooms at sea unless you book a deluxe balcony (only on newer ships) and up. No chair to sit in other than the desk chair and no table for room service. The showers are a joke and we are small people. I can't imagine how anyone of size deals with it. I hate that the first thing you see is an open closet the minute you walk in and the fact that it's exposed when they leave the doors open while cleaning the room. Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have better appointed rooms even in an interior. We sailed on Summit in an ocean view and it was very comfortable and the shower was large. I would rather sail in an ocean view than an IV which is just an ocean view with an upgrade. I booked a deluxe balcony for our upcoming Mediterranean cruise with Princess

I agree with every word of this post. The good news is, on the new Sphere Class ship, the cabin configuration has completely changed. No open closets, bathrooms all have shower doors, and normal balconies have a couch.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I agree with every word of this post. The good news is, on the new Sphere Class ship, the cabin configuration has completely changed. No open closets, bathrooms all have shower doors, and normal balconies have a couch.

Well it's about time. They have had the same configuration since I sailed on the original Crown Princess in 1991.

46 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Well it's about time. They have had the same configuration since I sailed on the original Crown Princess in 1991.

Yeah, it was pretty shocking that the cabin layouts rememained the same since the last century!

14 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

In the British Isle cruises people still dress up. It’s lovely to see people enjoying themselves. There are lots of options for those who don’t want to dress up for the MDR. 

That's fine but don't advise folks that they ought to go elsewhere to eat just because they don't "dress up".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

In the British Isle cruises people still dress up. It’s lovely to see people enjoying themselves. There are lots of options for those who don’t want to dress up for the MDR. 

It's also regional, I think.  On our last Caribbean cruise, fewer than half of people were dressed up.  On the last European one, it felt as if everyone was formally dressed (though "formal" for some meant very short fancy dresses :-O)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

We've waited for years for Princess to catch up to the informal cruising world & it finally has. It's wonderful that now everyone had the opportunity to select whatever clothing makes them happy, where ever they choose to eat dinner. 

• Like 3

On 8/28/2024 at 4:59 AM, paddingtonbear said:

Yes it is called the MDR. My crew pants and button down shirts without tie or coat have been welcomed their on every cruise since the restart 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 555 said:

We've waited for years for Princess to catch up to the informal cruising world & it finally has. It's wonderful that now everyone had the opportunity to select whatever clothing makes them happy, where ever they choose to eat dinner. 

Hopefully this will be the case, sometimes I think it’s more so the passengers that are bothered about dress codes than the cruise line….

I booked our Royal Princess yesterday, thanks for all replies.
ANY tips appreciated 😁

I have not read any of the postings here, but here is my 2 cents worth. I have been BLESSED to do probably over 20 some cruises, and most of them were on Carnival, and other cruise lines, and when I got checking waaaaaaaaaaaay back, I seen where I had done a Princess over 24 years ago. Because it had the champagne tower (I have some great pictures of myself back then with the tower which was much higher than what it is now), I wanted to do it again, although this tower is NOT as high as the original one which makes sense, for when the ship starts rocking and rolling, that is when the tower started falling down. Anyway we decided to do the Regal in February of this year, and because we enjoyed it so much, we are booked to do the Enchanted in February 2025. 🙂 

555, to me that is part of why "I" like to cruise, as most people now days, dress very casual. This to me is fine, but for dinner I like dressing up!  I know most people will NOT like what I'm posting, but I have NO problem in dressing casual, but when sitting down in a "nice/formal" dining room, I like to dress up! I have 3 sons and they DO this ONLY for ME, but they bring their tux, and oh how handsome they and their wives look and get plenty of "attention" when dressing up that way.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, beshears said:

555, to me that is part of why "I" like to cruise, as most people now days, dress very casual. This to me is fine, but for dinner I like dressing up!  I know most people will NOT like what I'm posting, but I have NO problem in dressing casual, but when sitting down in a "nice/formal" dining room, I like to dress up! I have 3 sons and they DO this ONLY for ME, but they bring their tux, and oh how handsome they and their wives look and get plenty of "attention" when dressing up that way.

Well that's what's so great about having a choice in how you dress on a vacation. No one is forced into pleasing the other group.  

I'm still not sure why Princess took so long to convert when all the other cruise lines do so years ago.

Enjoy.

A few generations ago, men wore coats and ties to go on dates.  They also wore coats and ties to work every day (even teachers 🙀). When I was young, we wore formal clothes to church every Sunday; to nice restaurants; to funerals; to job interviews; etc.

We also used Sterling silver, fine China, and crystal at home, and dressed up for holiday meals.

Times have changed for the better and casual reigns! 👍

I wear a dark, solid-color Hawaiian shirt with slacks on formal nights. I no longer own a coat and tie and had to buy long pants just for cruising.

Every now and then (formal nights), I catch a scowl from some old-timer who wants to express his/her disapproval at my informality. How do they enjoy themselves while they are busy frowning at other cruisers?

People who dress up look great, but it's no longer the norm. Time to move forward! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Teechur, you are right in some areas. You CAN call me an "old-timer" and that does NOT bother me a bit! I am 81 years young, and when I tell people how old I am, and I have never had plastic surgery, their eyes almost pop out. They say I do NOT look that age, and for the most part, it has to do with the way I dress. I don't care what everyone else does, but this is just ME, as I can be casual anytime through the day if I wish!

• Like 1

This thread was posted by a Princess Newbie who is looking for information, tips, encouragement....  Maybe not the place for the never ending 'discussions'.

Sue,  there are two more formal 'dress to impress' nights on a one week cruise.

pants/slacks and a button down shirt (with a collar) is fine!!!  Resort-Casual for women.

As on most cruises, there are options to choose from!

Anything from what has been called 'Casual' dining, like Alfredo's,  and Specialty Dining

(TIP:  make your reservations ASAP!) the buffet, etc.

My favorite ship has been REGAL, which is a sister ship, just after the Royal.

Royal does not have that Aft wake-view pool. (too bad!)

We love the Sanctuary.  But, without Princess 'status', you will not be able to board at the earliest boarding call.  You can still run (literally power-walk) the very first thing when you board, to the forward elevators, up to the Sanctuary, and see if they have any availability.

Wishing on a star…….thank you, it amuses me how simple threads turn into bun fights, especially when it come to formal v casual and tips is another one😆.  People like what they and these ships have enough venues to accommodate all tastes, without the side ways and disapproving glances.

When we’re in Caribbean I like to see hubby in smart tailored shorts and shirt on an evening, to me that’s smart/casual, even in MDR or specialty dining. I know he’s more comfortable with that, who can see his legs when he’s seated anyways? I generally wear rather loud summer or maxi dresses with sparkly flip flops, again smart/ casual.   If that does suit Princess I guess we’ll be seeing a lot of the buffet😆

No, seriouslyI would throw him in a pair of chinos this time. 

Sadly at the bottom of the “status” pile with Princess so when can I look at booking the dining, how many days out??

3 hours ago, suech1970 said:

Sadly at the bottom of the “status” pile with Princess so when can I look at booking the dining, how many days out??

If you are not Platinum or Elite, dining can usually be booked once the cruise is paid in full.  

7 hours ago, suech1970 said:

it amuses me how simple threads turn into bun fights, especially when it come to formal v casual and tips is another one😆.  

A "bun fight" !

That's a new one for me. Is that all you throw in the UK? LOL😄😄

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2024 at 4:19 AM, suech1970 said:

Hopefully this will be the case, sometimes I think it’s more so the passengers that are bothered about dress codes than the cruise line….

I booked our Royal Princess yesterday, thanks for all replies.
ANY tips appreciated 😁

I'm laughing because for years I read about how the Brits like to dress up on European cruises and now I see you from the UK posting in favor of a less formal evening. To narrow it down further it's only the members of Cruise Critic that are bothered by the dress code

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, 555 said:

A "bun fight" !

That's a new one for me. Is that all you throw in the UK? LOL😄😄

😆😆do you know how fast us brits can throw buns? Occasionally fatal😆😆. If you look up definition of bun fight it says….” found in buffet on embarkation day”😉

15 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm laughing because for years I read about how the Brits like to dress up on European cruises and now I see you from the UK posting in favor of a less formal evening. To narrow it down further it's only the members of Cruise Critic that are bothered by the dress code

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

A common misconception! Haven’t you noticed how many of us Brits are sneaking onto your American lines? Our Far East cruise, I would say was mainly Brits and Australians.

We have only done one more traditional cruise with UK line…one and done! I refuse to take any heels on a cruise now and I haven’t found a cruise line that can make a dark & stormy as good as NCL but I will keep on looking😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, suech1970 said:

thank you, it amuses me how simple threads turn into bun fights, especially when it come to formal v casual and tips is another one😆

I am pleased that we have been able to provide some simple entertainment! 😉

Happy cruising! Princess is awesome!

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 3:12 PM, Teechur said:

Every now and then (formal nights), I catch a scowl from some old-timer who wants to express his/her disapproval at my informality. How do they enjoy themselves while they are busy frowning at other cruisers?

That's how they enjoy themselves, showing their superiority and informing others of the same.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1