Need Help... Carnival Changed Our Itinerary

We  are supposed to leave on the Carnival Vista September 1st and once again the vista is having engine trouble. We were supposed to go to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turks, and Amber Cove. We specifically chose the ports because we could stay within the ports and still have access to the beaches/pools and shopping and never have to leave the safety of the port.  We have kids and don't feel comfortable leaving the port.  Before we had kids we would go all over the places we cruised.  Now we have gone from paying for a Carribean cruise to now getting a Bahama cruise- If I wanted a Bahama cruise I would have booked one at a much cheaper price- yes I could cancel but with a 5 day notice everything is already in place so now I need help with the 2 new ports, Nassau and Freeport. Is there anything to do within the ports? Like access to beaches, shops, etc- without actually having to leave the safety of the port?  Anyone who has been to Grand Turk will know what I am talking about, you get off the ship, the beach is right there, lots of shops and never have to leave the port.

If we do have to leave the port so my kids can actually go to a beach, what is the safest activities to do at those 2 ports? Bahamas isn't necessarily known as the safest place to go.

Thanks

In Nassau you can walk to the right, through the new market area, and continue on to Junkanoo beach.  I think it’s the closest.  In Freeport there is a straw market at the pier, but you will need a taxi to get to a beach.  Visit the market, then enjoy the less crowded pools.  E M

These are just my opinions.  

Nassau - I would just get off the ship and go to the new shopping area.  You can find things from T-shirts to spices to magnets, etc.  Bringing kids into Nassau would probably be fine, but I would just stay along the main streets.  
I have never been a fan of Nassau. There’s a guy in Nassau that I buy jewelry but from that’s it. 

Freeport - we go to grand Lacaya.  
it involves taking a van To the resort for about $10 a person round-trip, buying a day pass for about $25 a person, and then shopping in Port Lacaya marketplace across the street. 
I have to look for my notes on this, but don’t have time now. If you’re interested, let me know and I will post it.

Nassau has really cleaned up around the port area. We were quiet impressed our last two cruises. There are many little shops without leaving the port area. They also have a stage where a ban may be playing sometimes.

If you want go to a beach Junkaroo isn't a bad walk at all, maybe 15 minutes and we felt very safe. If you venture that far, you can hit the straw market up as it is on the walk.

Freeport has very few shops in the port area. The town is about 20 minutes away and requires a cab ride. We always get off in the port just to say we did and then spend the  rest of the time on the ship and treat it as a "Sea Day".

• Like 1

We’ve been to Nassau 4 times with our 5 kids, never felt unsafe. There’s Junkanoo for free, a small zoo, we’ve done day passes at Atlantis twice, RIU once (now adult only), margaritaville is walkable.

• Like 1

safe private beach with great snorkeling even reef balls close to shore which is good for the kids(unless they are toddlers) paddle boards, kayaks, snack shack -Paradise Cove. Price includes van transportation to and from port. No pools or shopping though, if those are a must have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did Blue Lagoon in Nassau. It was a ship excursion. We got off the ship, walked to another part of the pier and got on boat for the ride over. When we came back, dropped off in the same area of the pier and walked back to the ship. 

We haven't been to Freeport but once and we didn't leave the immediate port area, but for our next time there's an excursion that goes to Banana Bay. It doesn't look like there much there, but there is a restaurant. The water though looks great, especially for kids. It's shallow and calm. At least from the looks of the video and pics I've seen. I guess we'll find out when we go.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Supercrossfox21 said:

We  are supposed to leave on the Carnival Vista September 1st and once again the vista is having engine trouble. We were supposed to go to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turks, and Amber Cove. We specifically chose the ports because we could stay within the ports and still have access to the beaches/pools and shopping and never have to leave the safety of the port.  We have kids and don't feel comfortable leaving the port.  Before we had kids we would go all over the places we cruised.  Now we have gone from paying for a Carribean cruise to now getting a Bahama cruise- If I wanted a Bahama cruise I would have booked one at a much cheaper price- yes I could cancel but with a 5 day notice everything is already in place so now I need help with the 2 new ports, Nassau and Freeport. Is there anything to do within the ports? Like access to beaches, shops, etc- without actually having to leave the safety of the port?  Anyone who has been to Grand Turk will know what I am talking about, you get off the ship, the beach is right there, lots of shops and never have to leave the port.

If we do have to leave the port so my kids can actually go to a beach, what is the safest activities to do at those 2 ports? Bahamas isn't necessarily known as the safest place to go.

Thanks

My wife and I may be the only two cruisers who actually don't mind stopping in Nassau!  Some of that is because Bay Street (the main shopping street) is so conveniently close to the cruise pier.  We always stop in John Bull (which is one of our favorite stores in the Bahamas/Caribbean) and can't help but stroll through the many souvenir shops that line Bay and Wood Rogers Walk Street.  We've always felt entirely safe in Nassau but we don't venture too far away from the tourist area of Bay Street. There are a few "steerers"  who will try to get you to come into their store (kind of what you'd encounter in St. Thomas) but they aren't really "high pressure".  Margaritaville is easily walkable from the ship but it's not a typical Margaritaville. While the other Margaritavilles primarily are restaurants, the Nassau version is more focused on the beach and there is a lazy river and a waterslide...the food is more "just available" than the centerpiece of the experience. If you have kids, the Pirate Museum can be fun. One excursion we enjoyed was a relatively brief tour around the Nassau harbor.  You will find vans standing outside the terminal offering tours of Nassau for $25 or so. We've done that a couple of times and thought it was interesting.

As for Grand Bahama, we haven't been there for a couple of years but there used to be a straw market and bar adjacent to the pier which I'm assuming still exists. However, unless you like to spend a lot of time looking, it will take no more than 30-45 minutes and you will be done.  We totally agree with what others have mentioned about taking a taxi to the Port Lucaya Marketplace - which is a bunch of shops and sort of a "straw market".  That also doesn't take long to go through but across from the Marketplace is a hotel that offers a day pass to use their beach.  [Don't be fooled and go to the adjacent public beach (on the right side of the hotel beach) that tends to draw the locals.  I think it's free but it's not the same experience.]  The hotel beach has a pool and a bar with food items.  The beach is quite nice.   Between the marketplace and the beach, you can spend several hours and be quite relaxed.  Other things we've done on Grand Bahama Island are a van tour of the island and a glass bottom boat excursion. Frankly, we didn't think there really was anything to see on either of those excursions.

Edited by Bluewake
  • Like 1

If you are so worried about safety I would cancel the cruise but still fly to Florida and go to Disney. 

also pleas don’t tech your children to fear other countries. You do them a disservice.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I don't know why people believe Nassau is unsafe. I have been there several times and felt perfectly comfortable walking around, and I have never heard of a tourist being a crime victim while I was there. On the other hand, I have met more than person who has had their wallet and passport stolen by a pickpocket in Europe. 

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, mikayla73 said:

We did Blue Lagoon in Nassau. It was a ship excursion.

so did we! It was magical. Somehow in more than 10 years of cruising, we only ended up in Nassau once. I'd love to go back and enjoy the Blue Lagoon again.

The gorgeous side:

20190401_125323.thumb.jpg.93166380360772ee5e92e570752132f9.jpg20190401_124240.thumb.jpg.8e80cbc4d1c7b34f7445958416997323.jpg20190401_123542.thumb.jpg.f3b18716a757a447ee2b27b22a1c3d50.jpg

Lagoon side20190401_104349-Copy.thumb.jpg.a1c9a049359794bc5d303b2c73a0288c.jpg20190401_133320.thumb.jpg.57a12cf9443b82638e18a7e3d609204b.jpg

• Like 2

in Nassau, I 100000% recommend getting the excursion to The Blue Lagoon, it was Amazing when I went a few months ago; I did the "adults only" side of the island, but the kids side looked nice too

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 10:33 PM, Supercrossfox21 said:

Now we have gone from paying for a Carribean cruise to now getting a Bahama cruise- If I wanted a Bahama cruise I would have booked one at a much cheaper price

This is aggravating for us as well. We recently had an ABC cruise that morphed into a much less cruise at the last minute, with no OBC or anything.

I bet your kids would really enjoy the Pirate Museum in Nassau. It’s an easy walk from the pier. Maybe do that, then go to the beach for a bit and back to the ship for an uncrowded time in the water area. 

We don’t like Freeport at all unfortunately but agree with others that heading to Port Lucaya is your best bet if you don’t want to do an excursion. Look at the ports of call board to get ideas though. It’s really disappointing that you thought you had a plan with no extra expenses and now you don’t. I’d be really frustrated with this change. I hope Carnival is at least giving OBC to make up a bit for that.

2 hours ago, five. said:

This is aggravating for us as well. We recently had an ABC cruise that morphed into a much less cruise at the last minute, with no OBC or anything.

oh, no, that's sad. These are our favorite destinations.