Symphony of the Seas Live - No Sleep til Brooklyn. September 1st - 8th, 2024

Lisa and I have put together our final thoughts on the cruise. 

We have been talking about our final take on this cruise.  Most of our points relate to sailing out of New Jersey vs Florida. 

We enjoyed the approximately 1 hour flight to Newark and the ease of using the Marriott Hotel at the airport. When answering their post stay survey, we addressed the fact there was no safe as well as the concierge room being closed for the weekend. We got an email back and they apologized and gave us 10,000 Marriott points which will cover the money we spent on breakfast. All said, we would stay there again knowing there was no safe and just book the appropriate room for our needs. 

As for embarkation, we found it to be great once we got in the “door” at Cape Liberty.  However, getting through that door was a bit of an experience. There was an extremely long traffic line to get to the actual terminal but we were told that it was not the normal experience. Maybe it was because our departure was moved up an hour, but who knows. Our 17 minute Uber was almost an hour, with the biggest delay being the last 1/2 mile which took 40 minutes.

Star class Luggage drop was disorganized and slow. One guy fumbling around, didn’t give us much confidence leaving our bags with him. Luggage took 3 hours to arrive at our room, when it should be immediate with Star Class and always has been in the past. It eventually arrived, when the Crown Lofts around us were getting theirs. 

Weather - we had rain the first and last day. A concern with sailing from NJ. It was warm but wet. Not the norm Tim shared with us, but it got us. He typically sails this week every year.  Did we still find things to do, absolutely.  Was Lisa a bit disappointed that she lost 2 pool days - yes she was.

Disembarkation - even with arriving back to Cape Liberty late, we made an 11am flight from NWR to Toronto. If we hadn’t had kept our luggage the final night, we might not have made our flight. As we passed by the luggage stations, they were empty. Now, if we lived in the tri-state area, a cruise from New Jersey seems like a perfect idea. You wouldn’t have to pay for flights and it’s convenient at the right time of year.

Would we cruise from NJ again? Absolutely. We would look at it during summer months, if the price was good, and more importantly, if we have friends onboard! Not too worried about itinerary, however, we like the idea of seeing Bermuda or taking a 8/10 day cruise from there.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

So with those final thoughts, our first live cruise review from Cape Liberty comes to a close. 

Lisa and I would like to say thanks for all the well wishes. When we booked our honeymoon cruise 20 years ago we would never have thought there would have been 46 more to follow. 

What’s next you might ask?  How about what has become a tradition for us.  We have NYE on Symphony booked, so keep your eyes open for a live review in the months to come.

Any questions, ask away.

Until then, You Gotta a fight for your right to party.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Thanks again Andrew for your detailed final thoughts. At some point we would like to cruise from there. Especially if we spent a few days in NYC site seeing, restaurants and the theater. I sure we can cruise together again. We really enjoyed hanging out with you.

• Like 1

Thank you Lisa and Andrew for your awesome review this week. Well I guess it was last week. Glad you made it home safely.

We are heading up your way on Liberty to New England and Canada, then Bermuda. It's our first b2b!

Hope to run into you on a future cruise. Until then, I'll be looking forward to your NYE cruise review. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2024 at 5:13 PM, A&L_Ont said:

We went to fish fry for lunch. Oh Andros was taken over by Tim, Courtney, Lisa, Shane, and myself.

IMG_6655.thumb.jpeg.a37010c042939a56802a2473fefc0431.jpeg

IMG_6649.thumb.jpeg.80d98cb674277497a2064e2fdcf1567f.jpeg

Courtney got lobster and something else, but I can’t remember what it was. Shrimp just confirmed.

IMG_6651.thumb.jpeg.9d7b4f5e13902641a85385a08aa42863.jpeg

Tim got lobster and fish fingers. 

IMG_6652.thumb.jpeg.e89c818eddc27c7b60820549418206cf.jpeg

I got fish fingers and shrimp. 

IMG_6653.thumb.jpeg.88841e5e6de3886a13398a442cec286d.jpeg

Shane got the grouper and conch. 

IMG_6654.thumb.jpeg.f56a1001797b3529fab096afef3a60a5.jpeg

Lisa got the chicken and pork chop. 

IMG_6650.thumb.jpeg.d695a01b15c8315eba86c07cdca8842a.jpeg

On 9/5/2024 at 5:13 PM, A&L_Ont said:

We went to fish fry for lunch. Oh Andros was taken over by Tim, Courtney, Lisa, Shane, and myself.

IMG_6655.thumb.jpeg.a37010c042939a56802a2473fefc0431.jpeg

IMG_6649.thumb.jpeg.80d98cb674277497a2064e2fdcf1567f.jpeg

Courtney got lobster and something else, but I can’t remember what it was. Shrimp just confirmed.

IMG_6651.thumb.jpeg.9d7b4f5e13902641a85385a08aa42863.jpeg

Tim got lobster and fish fingers. 

IMG_6652.thumb.jpeg.e89c818eddc27c7b60820549418206cf.jpeg

I got fish fingers and shrimp. 

IMG_6653.thumb.jpeg.88841e5e6de3886a13398a442cec286d.jpeg

Shane got the grouper and conch. 

IMG_6654.thumb.jpeg.f56a1001797b3529fab096afef3a60a5.jpeg

Lisa got the chicken and pork chop. 

IMG_6650.thumb.jpeg.d695a01b15c8315eba86c07cdca8842a.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

There were no Sunday games, since NFL didn't start until Thursday.  😄

😂😂😂  You're right!!!   Well, then I will answer this question for you folks when I get on this coming Sunday.  😁

Thank you so much for this live review! We’ve thought about cruising from Cape Liberty, but have had concerns about losing pool time on the first and last day. We’re landlocked in the Midwest so need to fly somewhere. Enjoy your son’s last year of high school!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buffet24 said:

😂😂😂  You're right!!!   Well, then I will answer this question for you folks when I get on this coming Sunday.  😁

My daughter and her bf boarded this past Sunday and she said a bunch of games were playing in Playmakers and they watched the early games there and then were able to watch a game in the cabin while getting ready for dinner. And last night the mnf game was playing at playmakers. 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Lisa and I have put together our final thoughts on the cruise. 

We have been talking about our final take on this cruise.  Most of our points relate to sailing out of New Jersey vs Florida. 

We enjoyed the approximately 1 hour flight to Newark and the ease of using the Marriott Hotel at the airport. When answering their post stay survey, we addressed the fact there was no safe as well as the concierge room being closed for the weekend. We got an email back and they apologized and gave us 10,000 Marriott points which will cover the money we spent on breakfast. All said, we would stay there again knowing there was no safe and just book the appropriate room for our needs. 

As for embarkation, we found it to be great once we got in the “door” at Cape Liberty.  However, getting through that door was a bit of an experience. There was an extremely long traffic line to get to the actual terminal but we were told that it was not the normal experience. Maybe it was because our departure was moved up an hour, but who knows. Our 17 minute Uber was almost an hour, with the biggest delay being the last 1/2 mile which took 40 minutes.

Star class Luggage drop was disorganized and slow. One guy fumbling around, didn’t give us much confidence leaving our bags with him. Luggage took 3 hours to arrive at our room, when it should be immediate with Star Class and always has been in the past. It eventually arrived, when the Crown Lofts around us were getting theirs. 

Weather - we had rain the first and last day. A concern with sailing from NJ. It was warm but wet. Not the norm Tim shared with us, but it got us. He typically sails this week every year.  Did we still find things to do, absolutely.  Was Lisa a bit disappointed that she lost 2 pool days - yes she was.

Disembarkation - even with arriving back to Cape Liberty late, we made an 11am flight from NWR to Toronto. If we hadn’t had kept our luggage the final night, we might not have made our flight. As we passed by the luggage stations, they were empty. Now, if we lived in the tri-state area, a cruise from New Jersey seems like a perfect idea. You wouldn’t have to pay for flights and it’s convenient at the right time of year.

Would we cruise from NJ again? Absolutely. We would look at it during summer months, if the price was good, and more importantly, if we have friends onboard! Not too worried about itinerary, however, we like the idea of seeing Bermuda or taking a 8/10 day cruise from there.

I cruise out of Bayonne often as I live in NJ. 

I was last on Symphony July 19, 2024 and embarkation was a breeze, but luggage delivery was horrendous.  My daughter's luggage didn't arrive till after dinner. All the other 4 bags did. However, on the Oasis in July 2023, we had the delay getting into the port you spoke of.  It took close to an hour to get from the entrance of the port to actually being able to drop off luggage. We arrived at the same time last year as we did this summer.  It was the only time I have experienced this delay in all my years sailing out of NJ. Let's see what happens next month when I board the Liberty.

Great review as always.  Glad you made it home safe and sound.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mom*3 said:

Thank you so much for this live review! We’ve thought about cruising from Cape Liberty, but have had concerns about losing pool time on the first and last day. We’re landlocked in the Midwest so need to fly somewhere. Enjoy your son’s last year of high school!

Honestly, if you have to fly anyway, I'd just fly to Florida. The itineraries are so much better and you don't have the cold weather issue.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, ecslady said:

I cruise out of Bayonne often as I live in NJ. 

I was last on Symphony July 19, 2024 and embarkation was a breeze, but luggage delivery was horrendous.  My daughter's luggage didn't arrive till after dinner. All the other 4 bags did. However, on the Oasis in July 2023, we had the delay getting into the port you spoke of.  It took close to an hour to get from the entrance of the port to actually being able to drop off luggage. We arrived at the same time last year as we did this summer.  It was the only time I have experienced this delay in all my years sailing out of NJ. Let's see what happens next month when I board the Liberty.

Great review as always.  Glad you made it home safe and sound.

The past two cruises that I did on Odyssey from Port Everglades the luggage was waiting for me when the cabins opened up. That was so nice.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, buffet24 said:

Can you sneak into Sold Out Adult Comedy shows or do they throw you off the ship, if you try that?

If you don’t have it booked they do have a standby line, no need to go overboard.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I forgot to mention one final part to the review, The Quest.

We have been to at least 12 versions, and we selected the section we wanted to join carefully.  Section 1 was our pick by the potential group leaders in the first couple rows. Our group leaders were a couple, and were “first timers” at the Quest.  I think this was a benefit to our team. We always sit in the first 3-5 rows, where we can help easily but not be front and centre.  I donated a t-shirt, my phone, and Lisa gave up a flip flop. 

Looking around at the other groups we felt like we picked well.  There was a lady in the first row of group 2, beside us, with a purse full of props.  Elvis, the cruise director got wind of it and said anyone digging in a bag will be disqualified.  This lady even said to Lisa and Courtney, that she was ready to take off her dress for the win.  She did do it, when it was said and done. Here team didn’t win though. 😂

There were the normal entry level quests, lots of laughs, and lots of participation even from the top rows! Nearing the end things got interesting. Don’t want to give too much away, but there was nudity, from the female gender and the male gender too! So funny what people will do in a room full of strangers. 

Team #6 had a unrequested female full frontal flash (of something “fake”) and got 3 bonus points.  Meanwhile with Team #2 a man not wearing any underwear (after he gave up his pants) only got a towel to cover up.  Neither team placed in the top 3.  In fact the gent was the travelling make of the woman, that I mentioned earlier who gave up her dress.

Our team took second place, with our leaders happily displaying their new water bottles (but none of their body parts)! 

Elvis the cruiser director, and other guests all noted they hadn’t seen a Quest this “good”😜 in sometime. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8