Service awfull

MarkusToe

Actually on Getaway: never had such awfull service on a ship before.

Found dirty clothing under the bed, carpet havn't seen a  vac cleanen for a loooong time.

Balcony, dirty full of color pices.

Savour dining: wait about 30 min at the table to order

No drinks at all, but first course arrived.

Every dish was cold,  caneloni Hard, dryed out. Steak (med rare) cold, about 30°C... complained by head waiter....sorry only on first day, blah....

Taste: next day, 25 min wait to order. 20 min wait for first course...

Drinks ( Champagne as starter) came with main course. 15 to 20min after first....

• Like 1

If you think this is awful, come on over to my live thread on the Jewel and we can commiserate on the awful decline in service on NCL.

I just disembarked today. We were in a suite and didn’t have working toilets for 5 days. There was a used contact lens on the floor, hair in the bed, hair in the shower, a sports bra and a foam airplane wedged behind a drawer and no conditioner in the bathroom. We just experienced the worst cruise ever on the Jewel with truly horrible food and service. Don’t even get me started on the entertainment.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

If you think this is awful, come on over to my live thread on the Jewel and we can commiserate on the awful decline in service on NCL.

I just disembarked today. We were in a suite and didn’t have working toilets for 5 days. There was a used contact lens on the floor, hair in the bed, hair in the shower, a sports bra and a foam airplane wedged behind a drawer and no conditioner in the bathroom. We just experienced the worst cruise ever on the Jewel with truly horrible food and service. Don’t even get me started on the entertainment.

Last year on Jewel we had a non functioning toilet for 5 days out of 7!! It was beyond annoying 

I guess I'm going to have to follow Getaway a lot more closely over the next month. Final payment is later this month or early October for a February cruise. I've had concerns about NCL and if this theme continues (what with @YVRteacher's experience, yours, and @grouchomarx's experience), perhaps NCL isn't for me any longer.

@YVRteacher - I took a hiatus for the weekend. I'll be reading the rest of your (sounds not so good) review soon! And, sorry your cruise wasn't like last year's Jewel or this year's Princess cruise. Hope dad is ok!

36 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I guess I'm going to have to follow Getaway a lot more closely over the next month. Final payment is later this month or early October for a February cruise. I've had concerns about NCL and if this theme continues (what with @YVRteacher's experience, yours, and @grouchomarx's experience), perhaps NCL isn't for me any longer.

@YVRteacher - I took a hiatus for the weekend. I'll be reading the rest of your (sounds not so good) review soon! And, sorry your cruise wasn't like last year's Jewel or this year's Princess cruise. Hope dad is ok!

We had great service on Getaway 11 months ago. Hoping this bad service was a one-off, we board in 16 days! Ugh!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrUrsula said:

We had great service on Getaway 11 months ago. Hoping this bad service was a one-off, we board in 16 days! Ugh!

I have no experience of Getaway. But as a general note I have noticed how much things can change between cruises at the same ship. I was on Star last summer. It wasthe cruise where @YVRteacher cried over the horrible food, and even though my experience wasn't quite as bad since I'm not a full time vegetarian and had more options. But it wasn't good! So I was not thrilled about going on Star again a couple of months later. But at least I felt prepared to not eat well. It turned out things had improved a lot. Still in no way fantastic, but considerably better (or less bad...)! I'm going back on Star again in 12 days (yes, Star has itineraries that suit me!), and I'm not sure what to expect. Good thing I cruise more for the itineraries than the ship though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The worst cruise we ever had was on the Getaway. Service with the exception of the main dining room was fine. The issue was overcrowding.  Granted it was President's week but still. Just because they can fill it to full life boat capacity doesn't mean it makes for a pleasant experience.

30 minutes ago, DrUrsula said:

16 minutes ago, Peachypooh said:

The worst cruise we ever had was on the Getaway. Service with the exception of the main dining room was fine. The issue was overcrowding.  Granted it was President's week but still. Just because they can fill it to full life boat capacity doesn't mean it makes for a pleasant experience.

We've been on Getaway three times and each trip was great! Sure there were some things that were not quite what we wanted, but overall the experience was great. I'm hoping you (and I) have the same when we cruise on the gregarious Norwegian Getaway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Honestly the rest of my cruise was excellent it was only GS that was awful.  Service, food and drinks were really great all around.  I was never unhappy except standing in front of that desk.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps the NCL fleetwide practice of 1x daily housekeeping has finally had a cumulative effect whereby yesterday’s uncleanliness just piles onto today’s uncleanliness and then on to tomorrow.  Sounds like it’s time to do some deep cleaning and perhaps re-evaluate staffing.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Perhaps the NCL fleetwide practice of 1x daily housekeeping has finally had a cumulative effect whereby yesterday’s uncleanliness just piles onto today’s uncleanliness and then on to tomorrow.  Sounds like it’s time to do some deep cleaning and perhaps re-evaluate staffing.

I laugh, but in an I want to cry kind of way!

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grouchomarx said:

Honestly the rest of my cruise was excellent it was only GS that was awful.  Service, food and drinks were really great all around.  I was never unhappy except standing in front of that desk.  

I've never, on any cruise ship, on any cruise line, been happy with the Guest Services line/desk.  It's the very definition of an oxymoron!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I've never, on any cruise ship, on any cruise line, been happy with the Guest Services line/desk.  It's the very definition of an oxymoron!

I never really even had to deal with GS on a cruise before except once on HAL.  They kept charging me for drinks I never had every single day.  It was annoying to have to go there but they always just removed it without question or argument.  

• Like 1

11 years ago when I sailed NCL the food in the specialty restaurants was amazing.  When I sailed 2 years ago, there were serious issues, even in the specialty restaurants, where food was served cold and they ran out of half the sides in Cagney's.  Try the buffet, especially the meat carving stations and ethnic food stations.  A lot of the buffet food is not very good but if you try enough dishes you will find some good food.  And 2 years ago, they served freshly made crepes at dinner in the buffet which were very good.  In St. Kitts, I tried to bring leftovers back to the ship and some of them were confiscated by security.  I was very sad because I was hungry on the ship.  

Edited by kitkat343

see if you can find where the Captain or GM might be for a meeting or meet and mingle or ANY event - show up and ask how long you have to wait for a working toilet [its been XX hours / days] or what the cleaning standards are now, you have hair [in bed, shower etc] or clothing found in the room that isn't yours.  . . .

• Like 2

Outstanding cruise on the Star ending in Reykjavik last week.  Made two requests to GS—each time the issue was promptly resolved and a few hours later they called me to ensure it was taken care of.

• Like 3

The GS folks aren't always the best employees, often lacking knowledge or authority, it's not always their fault. And they spend their entire shift listening to complaints - some legit, some not so legit. Some polite passengers, others quite entitled. So while frustrating if you have a legitimate complaint, sometimes changing the approach makes a difference.

My first "too bad, so sad" experience with GS was resolved by an accidental meeting of the GM in the elevator - who innocently asked how my trip was going. 2 hours later, my transfer to the airport that had been cancelled due to lack of interest was reinstated. 2nd time, I just wrote my issue on one of the cards at the GM suggestion box. Got a call the next day, problem solved.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

Just because they can fill it to full life boat capacity doesn't mean it makes for a pleasant experience.

EVERY cruise ships is an unpleasant experience if filled up to the max. allowed no. of passengers.

And the few exceptions where it is still pleasant are cruise lines which many of us simply can`t afford. 😉

• Like 1

Sorry you had that experience. I have had great service on both of my sailing! The room attendants were excellent, dining staff was excellent. That said - I found longer wait times to order in the bigger MDR and shorter wait times in the smaller MDR. But my food was always hot and I liked the ambiance of the bigger MDR so still ate there more often. If I was in a hurry - just went to the buffet. 

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

The GS folks aren't always the best employees, often lacking knowledge or authority, it's not always their fault. And they spend their entire shift listening to complaints - some legit, some not so legit. Some polite passengers, others quite entitled. So while frustrating if you have a legitimate complaint, sometimes changing the approach makes a difference.

My first "too bad, so sad" experience with GS was resolved by an accidental meeting of the GM in the elevator - who innocently asked how my trip was going. 2 hours later, my transfer to the airport that had been cancelled due to lack of interest was reinstated. 2nd time, I just wrote my issue on one of the cards at the GM suggestion box. Got a call the next day, problem solved.

It is amazing how. those little "suggestion cards" can solve a multitude of issues. 

Have had personal calls from the GM after me dropping one off in the a.m. and getting the GM phone call that afternoon.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

But you know the sports bra was obviously left "for your convenience..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 7