Norovirus on Ventura (May 2024)

crompton21

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Still be tough to prove you caught it on the ship and not during an excursion.

Civil cases are decided on the balance of probabilities not beyond reasonable doubt - and on the balance of probabilities did you catch in on the ship where hundreds of people are infected and you are demonstrating that the hygiene procedures were not adequate, or in a bar in the middle of the summer where nobody reported anything.

And big legal costs if they lose or is it no win no fee.

No win, no fee.

Plus aren't all the claimants risking being banned for life by P&O/Carnival group. A ban from 7 cruise lines if group wide?

You think that Carnival would ban someone took legal action after coming down with noro on a ship full of people with noro?

Brilliant publicity for Carnival, not.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Devon born and bred said:

That's a question for P&O and the reason we carry our travel size Serenity with us around the ship and don't touch any food until we have washed our hands and used it, even after handing a menu back to the waiter in the restaurant we will use it. We are not being over the top, just taking personal responsibility to protect ourselves as best we can. If everyone else did the same would this help reduce infection on board, I don't know, but why chance it.

I'm afraid if I had to think about doing all things every time I touched something, it wouldn't be worth cruising!   So I wash my hands and then I hold a menu and then I sanitise.  Don't think so.  You'd be doing that a hundred times a day?

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

You think that Carnival would ban someone took legal action after coming down with noro on a ship full of people with noro?

Brilliant publicity for Carnival, no

Yeah snitches gets stitches as the old saying goes. And if they are out for a payout then yes. Surely you have to have documented proof you got ill not just say you did and proof of what you got (noro) which most of them won't have.

Edited by ace2542

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Yeah snitches gets stitches as the old saying goes.

And Carnival gets a bucketload of bad publicity tipped over its head - not sure that's a win for them.

4 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Surely you have to have documented proof you got ill not just say you did and proof of what you got (noro) which most of them won't have.

Report from a doctor, which if they have confined you to the cabin because you have noro then you will have, so not sure you think people wont have it.

17 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

And Carnival gets a bucketload of bad publicity tipped over its head - not sure that's a win for them.

Report from a doctor, which if they have confined you to the cabin because you have noro then you will have, so not sure you think people wont have it.

I thought someone said the doctors on the ship had no facilities to test for noro?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

Carnival has had loads of bad publicity over the years, from illegally dumping polluted waste water, through paying crew way below average, to loads of noro outbreaks, missed ports etc, and yet they have survived them all and seem to have no problem in filling their cruise ships.

So I doubt that this very minor UK noro outbreak is likely to have the top management in the US worried, that is of course if they have even heard about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Devon born and bred said:

I don't know what brand you refer to but I order direct from the Serenity Hygiene website. I did my  research to find the best product I could that suited me. Compared to the cost of cruises price didn't even come into it.

Off to website now to purchase. Thank you for the info.

3 hours ago, Devon born and bred said:

I don't know what brand you refer to but I order direct from the Serenity Hygiene website. I did my  research to find the best product I could that suited me. Compared to the cost of cruises price didn't even come into it.

Done ordered from Amazon arriving tomorrow. Off on QM2 next week so perfect timing. Thank you. 

4 hours ago, Devon born and bred said:

Serenity Hygeine hand sanitiser foam, which you can get unscented and has been tested to destroy norovirus and coronavirus within 30 seconds.

Thanks for sharing .....

Once cruising started up again we invested in this product, which also claims to be effective against norovirus https://ecohydra.com/pages/why-ecohydra 

Still use soap and water whenever possible, but handy to use at the table.

No amount of hand washing before entering an eating area is going to protect you from infected utensils and condiments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I thought someone said the doctors on the ship had no facilities to test for noro?

So far as I am aware they need to do a full lab culture - which they can't do on a ship -you report vague symptoms it 2 days in the cabin with immodium plus which they delibaretly don't sell in the shop

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

And Carnival gets a bucketload of bad publicity tipped over its head - not sure that's a win for them

Why do you think they stopped the wiplash claims pegged them back to £500 because everyone was claiming it. What is to stop me going to the medical centre on the last day with vague syptoms and chancing my arm with a claim no win no fee. Perhaps a ban 7 cruise lines for life might unless i can really prove I am not lying

11 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

So far as I am aware they need to do a full lab culture - which they can't do on a ship -you report vague symptoms it 2 days in the cabin with immodium plus which they delibaretly don't sell in the shop

Actually Immodium is not good if you have an infection or virus because it stops the nasties being expelled.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Back in post #32 Dave mentioned an illness on Thompson and it seems to indicate on that line they were willing and able to test:

"I did catch a stomach bug on Thomson Spirit in Greek waters. They took an anal swab and sent it ashore for testing. The result was not a virus, just a common bacteria so only 36 hours confined to my cabin."

18 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Back in post #32 Dave mentioned an illness on Thompson and it seems to indicate on that line they were willing and able to test:

"I did catch a stomach bug on Thomson Spirit in Greek waters. They took an anal swab and sent it ashore for testing. The result was not a virus, just a common bacteria so only 36 hours confined to my cabin."

I caught something on NCL pearl during the 2019 transatlantic. They said was it was "noro" 2 days in the cabin with immodium. No sample was taken or checked. There was also something about lettauce is new york area being not right at that time.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Carnival has had loads of bad publicity over the years, from illegally dumping polluted waste water, through paying crew way below average, to loads of noro outbreaks, missed ports etc, and yet they have survived them all and seem to have no problem in filling their cruise ships.

So I doubt that this very minor UK noro outbreak is likely to have the top management in the US worried, that is of course if they have even heard about it.

The bucketload of bad publicity tipped over their heads isn't the noro outbreak, it was the suggestion that they would ban passengers who had caught noro and had the temerity to complain about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I'm afraid if I had to think about doing all things every time I touched something, it wouldn't be worth cruising!   So I wash my hands and then I hold a menu and then I sanitise.  Don't think so.  You'd be doing that a hundred times a day?

I don't think it would be 100 times a day but just once before breaking into a bread roll, using your hands in the MDR. The menu may have previously been handled by someone who has used the toilet and not washed their hands, or a person who has just blown their nose, again without washing hands. Let's face it, unfortunately, we have all seen it!! I think it is about doing your own risk assessment and if carrying a small bottle of hand sanitiser and using it when you feel the need, what is the problem? On my last cruise I saw a couple using disposable surgical gloves whilst getting food in the buffet. If that meant they were doing something they could to avoid a nasty illness, and hopefully avoiding being confined to their cabin for 1 or 2 days, then that's fine by me. It's about what each person feels comfortable with.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

The bucketload of bad publicity tipped over their heads isn't the noro outbreak, it was the suggestion that they would ban passengers who had caught noro and had the temerity to complain about it.

I actually meant they might and probably should ban passengers who attempt to fraudulently claim against them for having it. and people will.

Asking the question what is to stop me from going the medical centre during the last day before port on a ship with an "outbreak" and using the documentation given by the medical centre as proof of my "illness"?. Answer to that question a ban from 7 cruise lines unless it can be proven by medical sample that I have given in it which must be the bare minimum for a claim.

Edited by ace2542

The people who are in this action presumably started or joined because they were/had been ill and had their illness previously reported to the ship and authorities, after all some were hospitalised.  The issue of fraudulently jumping into the case is not the point here, the fact hundreds of passengers were confirmed ill and at one point the crew apparently were threatening to down tools is the point.

As to whether the case has a chance of being won or even running it remains to be seen. However casting aspersions on the honesty of the individuals will probably be a long way down the list at this stage. The solicitors will be dealing with facts as presented.

Personally if it can be proved things can be done better to improve the chances of not catching noro or anything else it would surely be a win for all of us.  Just because it's always been done this way doesn't mean there's not another way.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

We don't touch a thing g in the buffet without washing our hands afterwards. We use a tissue to touch menus and wipe cutlery and salt/pepper pots. Lots of slobs out there.

25 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We don't touch a thing g in the buffet without washing our hands afterwards. We use a tissue to touch menus and wipe cutlery and salt/pepper pots. Lots of slobs out there.

Wiping with a tissue isn't going to remove any bugs. Quite the opposite! If there was a germy fingerprint on the salt cellar you have now successfully spread to the whole salt cellar, the pepper pot and the cutlery!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Actually Immodium is not good if you have an infection or virus because it stops the nasties being expelled.

It stops them being spread.

11 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

It stops them being spread.

Don't understand,  Imodium stops them being expelled down toilet,  that isn't spreading them ,  unless people have very unhygienic habits. 

The key to stopping Norovirus, is hand hygiene especially by staff, it's also keeping  hands away from mouth. Keeping contaminated hands away from food,  so isolating staff is more important than isolating passengers. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Don't understand,  Imodium stops them being expelled down toilet,  that isn't spreading them ,  unless people have very unhygienic habits. 

The key to stopping Norovirus, is hand hygiene especially by staff, it's also keeping  hands away from mouth. Keeping contaminated hands away from food,  so isolating staff is more important than isolating passengers. 

I was thinking of times when a toilet isn't readily available, such as when travelling home on a coach transfer.

• Like 1

I use these wipes.

Plus the same brand foam

They’re nice & “wet”, so give you a good wipe for sticky paws.  Use before eating, to get an anti-viral & anti-bacterial effect, then tuck the wipe back into the pouch, to use again after you’ve eaten, or possibly between courses, if you make a second trip to the buffet 

Just my experience but I’ve never had a gastro infection on a cruise.

I keep some in my pocket & dog-walking bag, and always use them if we stop for coffee & cake during a walk when I’ve tidied up after poochie

0004A98A-FF4B-44F9-A77F-6A9E5390EAFB.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

We don't touch a thing  in the buffet without washing our hands afterwards. We use a tissue to touch menus and wipe cutlery and salt/pepper pots. Lots of slobs out there.

Cutlery comes wrapped in a napkin  which will have been handled in the galley, but so has all the crockery. We don't use salt or pepper, so no problem for us there, and so far we have not gone down with noro, maybe we have been lucky, or possibly our less fastidious life style ensures our immune system is operating at peak performance.