No more Simply More

Jancruz

3 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Jan,

Thank you for your contributions.

My question is:  I have a cruise book in March, for which i only have a deposit down. Final payment is after October 1.  Would I be able o drop Simply More for that cruise and get the $250 for grats?

Thanks for your help.

Terri

As far as I know now yes you can..

The price you paid will be the same..

Jancruz1

43 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Waiting until tomorrow and seeing the actual program is the best bet. 

Absolutely, I only saw this for part of a 30 minute zoom call..waiting until tomorrow with all the questions is a great idea!!

Jancruz1

• Like 3

We were having free gratuities for a quite a bit of time. But honestly, I’m glad to see that everyone will be going to pay the gratuities. Less complaining from others about them being included for some. No more envy and desperation to reach the desirable level of loyalty. And maybe the crew will be getting a little bit more that way. I’d rather have other loyalty benefits for those who are enjoying cruising more but not who just determining to lower their price in any way possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, basor said:

This is so amusing - when SM was introduced there was endless speculation and hand wringing, up to the time of actual facts, of how awful O was and how they are trying to rip off the customer.  Then after SM implemented, there was endless complaining on how they don't drink and don't take excursions so it was Simple Less not Simply More. and would NEVER sail O again..now apparently O has listened to the complainers and is removing SM and, guess what, more gnashing teeth and wringing hands and "this will be the last time I sail on O

Why doesn't everyone wait until the details of the program are announced and then decide if they fit their personal cruising style.....the endless speculation is ridiculous!

So true.  But folks on CC love factless speculation. 🙈🙉🙊

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Waiting to see the details as we will be sailing next week. Trying to decide if we will book another cruise onboard. Not fans of SM, but it could be better than what lies ahead?

If it makes any difference, we don't want to do excursions and we do upgrade to the prestige package.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Ok, everyone get out your calculator.  We have a 14 day cruise booked for next year under SM…..we get $400pp for Excursions and the House Select Package ($560pp perk at $40 per day for package x 14 days). So under SM the ‘perk’ totals $960pp.  IF the changes indicated above are a go at $250pp in OBC and PP Gratuities….($18 per day for a non suite room x 14 days equals a perk of $252). So under the changes IF as noted, the ‘perk’ works out to $502pp.  Quite a bit of a change unless they make some changes to the purchased drink package and cost. Basically the change would now cater to those that don’t drink or do ship excursions. So at least that group will be happy. Maybe…😉

Yep. Surely they will have to reduce the fare with this new program?  If I do our math we would be getting much less. Under SM we get $600pp for excursions and the House Select Package ( $1,000pp  - $40 per day x25 days) Total perks $1600pp. Under this new plan we would get gratuities of $450pp and $250pp OBC?? So $700?…Hmmmm.

7 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

I sorta get a kick at how upset people were when they started SM.  And now people are upset when it disappears.

I guess the only constant is that no matter what you do, people will be unhappy. 

It should be pretty obvious,  as long as O (or any travel related business) has high occupancy,  prices will increase and benefits will decrease.   When bookings drop, prices will level off and benefits with increase.  There are multiple reports of "travel fatigue" in the financial news so maybe this is a way to lower to perceived cost without lowering revenue?  It's a bit silly to be upset by speculation.   Wait until there are details available and then make the choice as to whether it fits your style of vacation.   

This post is probably the best summary of the whole topic.

At the end of the day, history is not important. oLife, Simply More, Simply Less - doesn't matter how you call it and what was it a year ago or 5 years ago. The only thing that matters is NOW. What the price is now, what does it include and how does it compare to other lines. That's it. They can remove SM and increase the prices by $200/day. If the new price is still competitive compared to other comparable lines, people will continue booking. If not, O will start losing customers. I'm sure they know how to do the math. 

Our upcoming cruise in November is sold out. Our cruise next June half of the categories sold out. To O management, this is the only thing that matters.

• Like 14

24 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

If it's the "2nd" gratuity you're referring to, it's $250 per stateroom, not per person.

Oh wait …yes that $250 per “stateroom” wouldn’t even apply to me as a first timer! So basically we’d be getting much much less. 😳. (That’s ok if the fares are reduced - but not if they remain the same)

It's going to be interesting to see what the TA's offer now.

We have two more O cruises booked and just got off an Azamara yesterday. With general price increases based on demand we will look for softening of the market. Azamara may come out on top if comparing the two lines.

BTW two thirds of the pax - over 600, were repeat customers. O may have difficulty meeting that stat for a while.

3 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

I just got off an Azamara yesterday.  Azamara may come out on top if comparing the two lines.

BTW two thirds of the pax - over 600, were repeat customers. O may have difficulty meeting that stat for a while.

Have you done/will you be doing a comparison review - I have heard some good things about A but have not yet tried them 😁

8 hours ago, basor said:

guess what, more gnashing teeth and wringing hands and "this will be the last time I sail on O

There is a difference. When SM was introduced, folk complained that they were having to pay for things they chose not to use. Now, with SL, folk are still going to pay that amount but what they had been paying for is no longer there.

Massive price increase - not least for those us who already have gratuities included in our cruise price, because we are European customers. And, as we know, Europeans already pay more for a cruise than do Americans. Oceania is just making an already expensive holiday even more expensive. Is it any wonder than folk, like me, may well be thinking that Oceania is no longer good value?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

But folks on CC love factless speculation

I don't think this can be factless. For jancruz to have made the announcement yesterday, I presume s/he is an "insider" of some form and they have been pretty specific about the changes and the date they will be implemented. I think those are credible "facts" on which we can discuss the matter, while we wait for something more confirmatory from O. 

Our Vista cruise next year currently has a SM promotional fare, for an A2, of £5329. That already includes gratuities (as I'm a British customer), $600 excursion credit and free alcohol with lunch and dinner. If, as stated, the price is to remain the same but the excursion credit and free booze is to be removed, that cruise will then be effectively several hundred pounds/dollars more expensive. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

It's going to be interesting to see what the TA's offer now.

We have two more O cruises booked and just got off an Azamara yesterday. With general price increases based on demand we will look for softening of the market. Azamara may come out on top if comparing the two lines.

Azamara guests are very loyal. We are sailing the Azamara Journey for 16 nights in December as a comparison to our Oceania Sirena holiday cruise last year. Between the added inclusions, the AzAmazing evening and a really great looking White Night dinner party we're excited to see how this is similar yet different from the O experience.   

We're headed to Alaska on Riviera next June so very happy to know that our SM experience won't change for that. Our group is already getting really excited for that.  

As for everything about to happen, now today, it'll be interesting to see how this is all framed for the public compared to the original zoom call. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Our Vista cruise next year currently has a SM promotional fare, for an A2, of £5329. That already includes gratuities (as I'm a British customer), $600 excursion credit and free alcohol with lunch and dinner. If, as stated, the price is to remain the same but the excursion credit and free booze is to be removed, that cruise will then be effectively several hundred pounds/dollars more expensive. 

I am / was looking at an Aus/Bali cruise in 2026. It is on the edge of fiscal responsibility, so removing the excursion and alcohol credits will make it unviable unless I make cutbacks elsewhere. The 'More' offer is still valid for a few weeks so I will need to make a decision sooner rather than later.

• Like 4

I believe we will have to wait until the new Release to have a clue on pricing, and even then it will be opaque. Oceania will be throwing out the old price list and converting to a new Ala carte menu. You want air, this is how much it’ll cost. Want a drink package, here’s what you’ll pay. Here is the price of tours. Take’em or leave them . 

It’s like going into a restaurant. Before, you ordered the steak dinner and got salad, bread, steak, potatoes, and a vegetable. Now you order , or not, each item separately and pay accordingly. We won’t see the price list until at least 10/1 to know how the deal works.

I have no clue yet, but highly probable that the non drinker; cruise for the ship; little or no excursion passengers might come out ahead; while we on the other side pay more.

• Like 1

Oceania Cruises Includes Gratuities For All Guests As It Unveils Your World Included New Value Promise

Download as PDFSeptember 05, 2024 9:00am EDT 

Gratuities, gourmet specialty dining, sodas, specialty coffees and teas, and WiFi are all included in the new bundle of value-packed amenities

MIAMI, Sept. 5, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- Oceania Cruises®, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, has unveiled Your World Included™, its new brand value promise that features an updated selection of always included amenities for all guests across the globe, cementing its brand promise, Your World. Your Way.®

(PRNewsfoto/Oceania Cruises)

As part of Your World Included, all guests will now receive included shipboard gratuities for stateroom attendants, butlers, and dining waitstaff automatically in their cruise fare. Previously, gratuities had been included selectively as travel partner or loyalty club amenities or for guests from certain regions of the world.

Gratuities are in addition to other Your World Included amenities: dining at all gourmet specialty restaurants; sodas, juices, specialty coffees and teas; still and sparkling Vero Water®; unlimited Starlink® WiFi; in-room dining; fruit smoothies, gelato and artisan ice cream; group fitness classes; and laundry services. 

The updated inclusions will begin on October 1, 2024, for all new reservations on sailings departing on or after January 1, 2025. The line's current simply MORE™ offering will end on September 30, 2024, meaning that a shore excursion credit and beverage package will no longer be automatically included.

The change has come following guest feedback highlighting that while they enjoyed the simply MORE inclusions, they would rather global guest inclusions focused on what mattered most. At the top of this list was always included gratuities for all guests.    

"Oceania Cruises' promise to show our guests Your World. Your Way has been at the heart of our business since we launched more than 20 years ago. The change has come following feedback from guests, highlighting that they would prefer that we include amenities valued by all versus amenities valued by some. Not surprisingly, our guests place the greatest value on our core inclusions such as free specialty dining and free WiFi; including gratuities creates the richest possible array of amenities and benefits for our guests globally," said Frank A. Del Rio, President of Oceania Cruises. "It also gives us a clearly defined position in the cruise sector as the leading ultra-premium line of choice, offering outsized value to our guests."

Based on a 10-day cruise, guests will receive always included amenities valued at more than $1,800 per stateroom when compared to premium cruise lines. This figure is based on average charges made for gratuities, WiFi, non-alcoholic beverage packages, and specialty dining reservations.

"Here at Oceania Cruises, we've always been renowned for our warm and authentic service; it's part of the intangible magic of sailing on board one of our small, luxurious ships. I'm delighted that we are adding in gratuities for all guests, as our dedicated onboard team is working for guests' smiles – not their tip. Making every interaction with our guests count is our service culture mantra," said Del Rio.

The generous suite of always included amenities through the new Your World Included brand value promise in full:

• Gourmet Specialty Restaurants: A variety of distinctive, open-seating restaurants, all at no additional charge.
  • In-Suite and In-Stateroom Dining: Our hot and cold in-room dining selections are sublime and complimentary.
  • Unlimited WiFi: Starlink® connectivity affords much quicker upload and download speeds.
  • Sodas, Specialty Coffees & Teas: Whether at a restaurant, lounge or Baristas coffee bar, it's always free.
  • Still & Sparkling Vero Water®: Unlimited, eco-friendly and great tasting, the gold standard of still and sparkling water.
  • Juices, Smoothies & Gourmet Ice Cream: Cold-pressed juices, fruit smoothies, homemade gelato and gourmet ice creams are always included.
  • Group Fitness Classes: Choose from a selection of free classes at Aquamar® Spa + Vitality Center.
  • Laundry Services: With free launderettes included along with laundry services and pressing for Concierge and Suite levels, you'll always look your finest.
  • Shipboard Gratuities: Our people make the difference – they work for your smile, not for your tip.

Guests can personalize their vacation experience with extras such as air transportation and transfers, shore excursions, or a beverage package, to be added according to preference.

For additional information on Oceania Cruises' small-ship luxury product, exquisitely crafted cuisine and expertly curated travel experiences, visit OceaniaCruises.com, call 855-OCEANIA, or speak with a professional travel advisor.

About Oceania Cruises
Oceania Cruises is the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line. The line's eight small, luxurious ships carry a maximum of 1,250 guests and feature The Finest Cuisine at Sea® and destination-rich itineraries that span the globe. Expertly curated travel experiences are available aboard the designer-inspired, small ships, which call on more than 600 marquee and boutique ports in more than 100 countries on seven continents, on voyages that range from seven to more than 200 days. Oceania Cruises has two additional ships on order scheduled for delivery in 2027 and 2028 or 2029[1]. Oceania Cruises is a wholly owned subsidiary of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. (NYSE: NCLH). To learn more, visit www.nclhltd.com.
[1] Delivery for the second Oceania Cruises ship is contractually scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2028, but may be delayed to 2029.

View original content to download multimedia:https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/oceania-cruises-includes-gratuities-for-all-guests-as-it-unveils-your-world-included-new-value-promise-302239223.html

SOURCE Oceania Cruises

Released September 5, 2024

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

11 hours ago, osandomir said:

We were having free gratuities for a quite a bit of time. But honestly, I’m glad to see 

Having reached the silver level, this devalues the loyalty program.  I do agree that this will ensure that all staff get the gratuity. Of course this takes away the idea that a gratuity is for good service. Where is the incentive?

My beef is that staff no longer value the gratuity, but expect the over and above tipping, gifts etc that so many have encouraged.

• Like 1

Those changes (whatever they are) are exactly the reason why I pay zero attention to loyalty programs. I mean, people make an effort to get to silver, are so excited to get PPG and $250 OBC.. oops, now everyone gets it. 

Loyalty means nothing to us. We sail based on itinerary, price and the overall experience. I could never understand the attractiveness of loyalty programs. You pay $500+/day for a cruise and you care about $18/day gratuities? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Those changes (whatever they are) are exactly the reason why I pay zero attention to loyalty programs. I mean, people make an effort to get to silver, are so excited to get PPG and $250 OBC.. oops, now everyone gets it. 

Loyalty means nothing to us. We sail based on itinerary, price and the overall experience. I could never understand the attractiveness of loyalty programs. You pay $500+/day for a cruise and you care about $18/day gratuities? 

I knew when O floated that Survey several months ago with questions on the Loyalty program change was coming. It will be interesting to see the new loyalty perks for cruises booked after 10/1. I’ll wait for the actual details.

• Like 2

But now the question is: if someone books a cruise for 2025 or 2026 on Sep.30, they get SM but no gratuities. If they book the same cruise on Oct.1, they get gratuities but no SM for the same price? I don't see prices going down on Oct.1 to reflect less inclusions..

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the press release which confirms the position indicated yesterday upthread. I'm sure it will achieve its obvious aim in increasing the profit margin. Presumably, the company has been listening to its preferred North American travel agency partners. Of course, O has not confirmed prices, so, for now, I'll stick with jancruz's original comment that prices will remain at the SM level, but without the two major SM benefits

So, we have our probably last Oceania cruise next June but it's now time to be looking for an alternative line if, indeed, we decide to continue cruising (definitely not a given, bearing in mind how expensive a holiday it already is). There are certainly lines out there that portray a similar ambiance and appear to value an inclusive approach.  

Edited by Harters
  • Like 3