No more Simply More

Jancruz

8 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Those changes (whatever they are) are exactly the reason why I pay zero attention to loyalty programs. I mean, people make an effort to get to silver, are so excited to get PPG and $250 OBC.. oops, now everyone gets it. 

Loyalty means nothing to us. We sail based on itinerary, price and the overall experience. I could never understand the attractiveness of loyalty programs. You pay $500+/day for a cruise and you care about $18/day gratuities? 

Paying attention to a loyalty program does not necessarily mean booking at outrageous prices, going anywhere just to move up a level.

Please dont assume that.

Watching sales, getting the highest rebate from a TA, booking on board are all smart practices, while achieving that level.

Having experienced multiple lines, we have found what suits us best, achieving loyalty is just the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harters said:

So, we have our probably last Oceania cruise next June but it's now time to be looking for an alternative line if, indeed, we decide to continue cruising (definitely not a given, bearing in mind how expensive a holiday it already is). There are certainly lines out there that portray a similar ambiance and appear to value an inclusive approach.  

Simply More was the end of O for us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harters said:

Thanks for posting the press release which confirms the position indicated yesterday upthread. I'm sure it will achieve its obvious aim in increasing the profit margin. Presumably, the company has been listening to its preferred North American travel agency partners. Of course, O has not confirmed prices, so, for now, I'll stick with jancruz's original comment that prices will remain at the SM level, but without the two major SM benefits

So, we have our probably last Oceania cruise next June but it's now time to be looking for an alternative line if, indeed, we decide to continue cruising (definitely not a given, bearing in mind how expensive a holiday it already is). There are certainly lines out there that portray a similar ambiance and appear to value an inclusive approach.  

I will be interested to see your findings.

My first priority is the itinerary and the price, but the overall ship experience matters too. O became too expensive, but other lines also increased significantly. SS is now out of reach completely. SB used to have some itineraries priced close to O - not anymore. Azamara can be an alternative, but I'm not sure they are cheaper, and their ships are much older compared to our preferred O ships (Riviera, Marina and Vista). So what's left? Windstar?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Ok, everyone get out your calculator.  We have a 14 day cruise booked for next year under SM…..we get $400pp for Excursions and the House Select Package ($560pp perk at $40 per day for package x 14 days). So under SM the ‘perk’ totals $960pp.  IF the changes indicated above are a go at $250pp in OBC and PP Gratuities….($18 per day for a non suite room x 14 days equals a perk of $252). So under the changes IF as noted, the ‘perk’ works out to $502pp.  Quite a bit of a change unless they make some changes to the purchased drink package and cost. Basically the change would now cater to those that don’t drink or do ship excursions. So at least that group will be happy. Maybe…😉

So now with the official announcement, it makes the difference in ‘perks’ as just an example on our already booked cruise a bigger difference. Perks with SM were valued at $960 pp…..and with the new release those perks valued at $252. That is a pretty big difference. I’m sure we will continue booking with Oceania but perhaps not as often?? Who knows.  Funny thing when they rolled out SM, a lot people felt including the drink package was an effort to capture the younger cruiser.  It would appear the old guard won out in the end. As with everything, either accept change or………..

• Like 1

have done 3 Azamara cruises...no comparison to O, when it comes to food and activities...but of course that is OHO....

SM or no SM, we have found our line of choice...and as long as what is most important to us, the food, stays the same we will look for ways to continue to sail on it. 

If prices become outrageous, other lines will be outrageous too.

So we may cruise less. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Paying attention to a loyalty program does not necessarily mean booking at outrageous prices, going anywhere just to move up a level.

Please dont assume that.

Watching sales, getting the highest rebate from a TA, booking on board are all smart practices, while achieving that level.

Having experienced multiple lines, we have found what suits us best, achieving loyalty is just the icing on the cake.

I don't disagree. If you look at loyalty perks just as an added bonus ("nice to have"), that's fine. But some people are too focused on achieving certain levels of status and just ignore other options. 

For us, O is the best option at this point in terms of the overall package, but it doesn't mean we don't check other options. Going on our first SB cruise next week, will report back how does it compare to O.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

So true.  But folks on CC love factless speculation. 🙈🙉🙊

I’ll add to that, my opinion is that while there are multiple reasons for this, one of the main ones is that onboard spending has plummeted. The bars are pretty much dead except for happy hour or free drinks. People are not buying nice bottles of wine or bringing their own and paying corkage. Very few upgrades to the package and reduced excursion purchases. 

Add to that the complaints when ports are cancelled and people are wanting tour refunds that aren’t going to happen, then it becomes a real problem for them. This is my baseless and fact less opinion. So take it for what it’s worth. The statement below though is direct from the GM. 

Just an FYI, in a semi related conversation the GM told us that they have absolutely no problems filling ships. The problem is getting enough employees. 

Since I typed that up and posting this more details have been added. In the hillbilly country where I’m from this is what we call wee weeing on your leg and telling you it’s raining. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

enjoy SB, we are not willing to risk trying something else when what we have suits us in every way...

the loyalty is just a perk...but I dont want to see it devalued....waiting for an updated loyalty program to come out...hope that there is something new to replace the lost gratuity....an added 250 per cabin is not the value of a total gratuity that one would have to pay out of pocket.

our only regret is that we spent years on other lines thinking O was too expensive...

I guess it will all boil down to price. Since the “included air” and shore excursions, and wine and beer with meals are removed, the only perk that was recently added and remains is included wifi. Included Gratuities is not a new perk for those who have been loyal enough to reach that benefit by sailing.The extra $250 shipboard credit given for those who already got that perk included, is more than wiped out several times over if the pricing of the cruise does not reflect the amount lost in excursion credits and drinks.

Time will tell, but the official notification today from Oceania pretends this is an improvement, while leaving out the bottom line. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

an effort to capture the younger cruiser.  It would appear the old guard won out in the end

I think you're right on both counts. The new younger customers who may well have booked because of SM, will probably not be shouting to O "Nah, I didnt like it". 

7 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

enjoy SB, we are not willing to risk trying something else when what we have suits us in every way...

the loyalty is just a perk...but I dont want to see it devalued....waiting for an updated loyalty program to come out...hope that there is something new to replace the lost gratuity....an added 250 per cabin is not the value of a total gratuity that one would have to pay out of pocket.

our only regret is that we spent years on other lines thinking O was too expensive...

I don't think we are really risking anything.. we sailed on SS 3 times in the last 2 years and enjoyed it very much. SB is pretty similar. Small ships, excellent food and service, unlimited black caviar.. what's not to like?

We booked when we saw excellent itinerary at reasonable price. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those lines.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Jancruz said:

As of October first going back to core values prices stay the same but you get Gratuities on every cruise..

Plus a lot more info..

Jancruz1

Now that we just made Silver, gratuities are included.....so we actually don't gain anything do we?

• Like 1

love black caviar...

but we love the activities on the ship, the lectures, the way trivia is done, the big O points..the shuttles in ports, love to get to the mid of a port and walk for miles.....yes we love all that, many dont....and thats OK....

cabins dont matter to us, we dont spend much time in them..having said that, we still take a balcony cabin...do NOT want a butler...

love the familiar, like coming home....

anyway, all is is off topic....sorry....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

have done 3 Azamara cruises...no comparison to O, when it comes to food and activities...but of course that is OHO....

SM or no SM, we have found our line of choice...and as long as what is most important to us, the food, stays the same we will look for ways to continue to sail on it. 

If prices become outrageous, other lines will be outrageous too.

So we may cruise less. 

I’m going to cruise less often.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

You pay $500+/day for a cruise and you care about $18/day gratuities? 

Per person.

For our 39 day cruise that is over $1400 US so, yes, I care about $18/day gratuities.

(Anyone who doesn’t, please see my Go Fund Me page (Joke))

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

It’s all still tbd, but my TA reports, via her O rep, that the OCCAP program may not be dead. The new O to Consortium to Travel Agency to Clients  perks might still exist. Just wouldn’t be PPG. Might be a basic drinks package, might be tour credits. It ain’t over until the Fat Lady sings, and it appears she hasn’t even started to warm up yet. 

I think everyone will still need to be talking to their TA come October and that new cruise release. DIYers will never know.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Per person.

For our 39 day cruise that is over $1400 US so, yes, I care about $18/day gratuities.

(Anyone who doesn’t, please see my Go Fund Me page (Joke))

If I paid ~$40k for a cruise, extra $1400 wouldn't make much difference to me. It's all relative to the overall cost and how much you would pay for other lines that do include gratuities.

31 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

If I paid ~$40k for a cruise, extra $1400 wouldn't make much difference to me

As we are both Canadian, our total was significantly less than 40K CAD - more than 25% CAD less.

And that $1400 US for gratuities becomes $1900 CAD.

And you bet it makes much difference to us.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Robjame said:

As we are both Canadian, our total was significantly less than 40K CAD - more than 25% CAD less.

And that $1400 US for gratuities becomes $1900 CAD.

And you bet it makes much difference to us.

So less than $400 CAD per day per person? All I can say is you got an excellent deal.. But gratuities are still only 6% of the total fare. Nice to have, but definitely not something that would impact our decisions..