Jim_Iain - Live - comparison of Oceania Regatta - Vista Suite to Celebrity Millennium Royal Suite

Jim_Iain

3 hours ago, Maggie 1008 said:

Jim, the PH suites on the O class ships are about 440sq ft. They feel much more spacious than the Sky suites on X. I believe SS are about 320sq ft. 
Not sure about the size on R class ships. 

On Millennium SS is 251 sq ft and 57 sq ft balcony.  In Regatta Penthouse is 260 sq ft and 62 sq ft balcony.  This is per cruise deck plans. 

On Vista Penthouse is 420 square ft. n 39 sq ft balcony.  On S-Class SS 300/79.  E-Class 299/63.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

We have been in both SS on X and Penthouse on Oceania Vista.  We had underbed storage on the Vista.  The Penthouse felt bigger than the SS on X.  The balcony was large and had a table, 2 chairs and a lounge.  Bathroom much larger on Vista.

I think all the suites on Vista are larger.  The Owners suite is about 2x that of Regatta. 

• Like 2

In MDR Oceania puts Luminae to shame

First Dinnerware. 

IMG_5497.thumb.jpeg.a1eebd940ae1605c59ea8be54421c200.jpeg

By guess who?  

IMG_5505.thumb.jpeg.dc94171fd2eaa30613407dacbc9db875.jpeg

Also instead of twinkle candles and silver plated s/p

IMG_5502.thumb.jpeg.6017917426a143ec9afc35944c5e63c1.jpeg

now this is amazing. - Space between tables. 

IMG_5501.thumb.jpeg.c0d2f8255d16a7a8435965b2f2e06e2b.jpeg

When we first arrived the area we were seated in was full but noise level was low.  

• Like 15

1 hour ago, babysteps said:

Glad you are enjoying the cruise @Jim_Iain!

On the topic of clotted cream - in the US if you can find regularly-pastuerized (not ultra) heavy cream you can DIY. We get a quart at a time and by the time we finish there are actual clots of clotted cream left. Very good on berries! 

I've heard that sometimes they serve whipped cream with the scones for tea... but if you ask for clotted cream, they have it on hand.

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

In MDR Oceania puts Luminae to shame

First Dinnerware. 

IMG_5497.thumb.jpeg.a1eebd940ae1605c59ea8be54421c200.jpeg

By guess who?  

IMG_5505.thumb.jpeg.dc94171fd2eaa30613407dacbc9db875.jpeg

Also instead of twinkle candles and silver plated s/p

IMG_5502.thumb.jpeg.6017917426a143ec9afc35944c5e63c1.jpeg

now this is amazing. - Space between tables. 

IMG_5501.thumb.jpeg.c0d2f8255d16a7a8435965b2f2e06e2b.jpeg

When we first arrived the area we were seated in was full but noise level was low.  

What take you so long to find out Celebrity is not up to par when compare to other upscale cruiseline ?

I can't wait for my first Queen Victoria cruise in January.

Could be another Zenith jump ship.LOL

Edited by verizon
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, verizon said:

What take you so long to find out Celebrity is not up to par when compare to other upscale cruiseline ?

I can't wait for my first Queen Victoria cruise in January.

Could be another Zenith jump ship.LOL

The strength of Jim’s reports are that he has the ability to provide facts plus express the ‘ambiance’ of a cruise experience…I am sure most of us following this will not only become educated about what O offers but what the cruise experience feels like…

I don’t know how well I have expressed what I mean but two separate sets of my friends tried Cunard earlier this year. One couple got off enthused about the cruise and the attention to detail the experience had offered. The other couple got off and described the experience as ‘too stuffy’….Jim’s narrative skills will hopefully empower us to have a ‘feel’ for what the full O experience is like….

• Like 13

Aloha. I always enjoy reading Jim's posts and of course his pictures.  Have  been blessed to cruise since1971 and achieve top tiers on most cruise lines or close to top tiers. I enjoy the varied experiences by doing so and each voyage is always a different experience as a result. They each have their own unique character and Jim does a phenomenal job exposing and describing same. 

• Like 5

Thanks for the insight Jim. We have enjoyed two Oceania cruises but much preferred the larger Marina to the smaller Sirena. Fantastic food. My main gripe would be that the evening show entertainment is aimed at 90 year olds. 

The Sirena was beautifully decorated. The Concierge (normal balcony size) cabin was fine and attractively decorated, with space under the bed for suitcase storage. The wardrobe a little small. Probably the smallest shower at sea and am advised that morbidly obese used the showers in the gym/spa. Okay for me 6'3" 210lbs

I would certainly consider further Oceania cruises as the itineraries are great. However just debarked the X Ascent which we thought was the best ship in our 18 cruises on six lines.

Edited by hawkesbaynz
clarification
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

I don’t know how well I have expressed what I mean but two separate sets of my friends tried Cunard earlier this year. One couple got off enthused about the cruise and the attention to detail the experience had offered. The other couple got off and described the experience as ‘too stuffy’….Jim’s narrative skills will hopefully empower us to have a ‘feel’ for what the full O experience is like….

I would stay away from the "too stuffy" crowd myself.  I like the ambience and don't want the extra noise.  I prefer a relaxed quiet vacation,  quiet MDRs, etc.  So far O is showing that.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

I would stay away from the "too stuffy" crowd myself.  I like the ambience and don't want the extra noise.  I prefer a relaxed quiet vacation.

I guess the reason why so many of us have regularly cruised Celebrity is that they are very good (generally) at getting that balance of relaxed and stylish without being stuffy or too casual. It is a hard balance.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hcat said:

When I saw the fancy China and dining room set up,  confirmed not for us!  But will enjoy following along..

Now I felt a bit the opposite…One of the things that can annoy me a bit on Celebrity is my end of evening cognac coming in a tumbler. No big issue but I do like nice crockery and glassware.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, hcat said:

When I saw the fancy China and dining room set up,  confirmed not for us!  But will enjoy following along..

It may help us understand other posts as well if you would tell us what it is about the tableware that would cause you to take an entire cruise line off of your list because of it.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, chemmo said:

I guess the reason why so many of us have regularly cruised Celebrity is that they are very good (generally) at getting that balance of relaxed and stylish without being stuffy or too casual. It is a hard balance.

I think that lately Celebrity falls into the too casual group...  They have changed.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, canderson said:

It may help us understand other posts as well if you would tell us what it is about the tableware that would cause you to take an entire cruise line off of your list because of it.

For me it was a flashback to dinner at Grandparents.  Hands in lap, talk when spoken to and then very softly, and reminders to be careful to not break anything

im sure many enjoy the more formal ambiance, it’s just for me.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, jelayne said:

For me it was a flashback to dinner at Grandparents.  Hands in lap, talk when spoken to and then very softly, and reminders to be careful to not break anything

im sure many enjoy the more formal ambiance, it’s just for me.

Your post just gave me a flashback…I remember my Great Aunts ‘Sunday best’ plates having little birds on the rim and trying not to get gravy on them! My Great Aunt was lovely though…she did make Sunday dinners special but never threatening or restrictive…Perhaps I quite like the crockery because it looks special as hers did unlike the rather mundane we had at home…

• Like 2

Arrived this morning at 7:00 AM  in Ketchikan Alaska.   

Now for one difference on the negative side for Oceania.   At 8:00 on the dot the cruise director came on the PA in the staterooms with a 1 minute Welcome to Ketchikan, weather rainy and 55 F.    We are parked at Wards Harbor which is about a 20 minute shuttle to the city.   Remember this shuttle is operated by the port so Oceania has no responsibility if they change their schedule so make sure you have planned plenty of time to get back to ship. 

One of the nice things about Celebrity is they rarely make announcements in the rooms.

• Like 5

Last night around 10PM we lost internet completely.   This morning possibly because we are in port the internet is beyond slow.    I was unable to to even retrieve messages or bring up an internet page. 

I put my iPhone in Hotspot mode and moved it close to the window.   At least now I have decent speeds and can do my mail and other things.

I know many say they love to disconnect but I first of all live in a connected world and on top of that I'm the President of a large HOA and we are in the midst of 6.5 Million dollar project. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, SSFrance69 said:

I've heard that sometimes they serve whipped cream with the scones for tea... but if you ask for clotted cream, they have it on hand.

That's good to hear.  I've been told that in the Grills they always serve clotted cream.   If not I will surely ask.

One thought that just came back to my mind was living In Dublin, Ireland.    They had a Clotted Cream Ice Cream.... Talking about clogged arteries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1