Help me decide between short cruise or taking sea-sickness chances on longer cruise

cpjenks2001

Quick backstory: I've only been on 1 cruise before (weeklong to Eastern Caribbean). Totally loved it! First few days were quite rough for some passengers, but it didn't bother me at all (didn't even need to take meds). My adult daughter has never been on a cruise but wants to badly. She however, DOES get motion sickness easily. Cannot read in a car, and generally prefers the front seat of a car over the backseat due to motion sickness. Tends to get upset stomachs easily. I've agreed to take her on her first cruise next March or April.

I had intended to book a shorter (3-4 night) cruise to test how well she can handle it (instructing her to start taking meds a couple days before the cruise), and coming aboard with a variety of sea sickness remedies. Hoping to prevent it, but if she truly ends up miserable the entire time, I've not wasted the money for a full week cruise.

But the more I'm reading the boards, I'm getting the impression that the 3-4 day cruises are basically big drunken obnoxious parties because they are cheaper. That is NOT our style at all. Neither of us drink or party much. We're looking to experience relaxation and checking out a couple ports.

So now I'm 2nd-guessing the short cruise idea because I don't want the obnoxious crowds to dampen our relaxation. How crazy would I be taking our chances on her sea-sickness on a full weeklong cruise? Have you ever cruised with someone who gets sick easily? And did it subside after a couple days?

Pam

6 minutes ago, cpjenks2001 said:

Quick backstory: I've only been on 1 cruise before (weeklong to Eastern Caribbean). Totally loved it! First few days were quite rough for some passengers, but it didn't bother me at all (didn't even need to take meds). My adult daughter has never been on a cruise but wants to badly. She however, DOES get motion sickness easily. Cannot read in a car, and generally prefers the front seat of a car over the backseat due to motion sickness. Tends to get upset stomachs easily. I've agreed to take her on her first cruise next March or April.

I had intended to book a shorter (3-4 night) cruise to test how well she can handle it (instructing her to start taking meds a couple days before the cruise), and coming aboard with a variety of sea sickness remedies. Hoping to prevent it, but if she truly ends up miserable the entire time, I've not wasted the money for a full week cruise.

But the more I'm reading the boards, I'm getting the impression that the 3-4 day cruises are basically big drunken obnoxious parties because they are cheaper. That is NOT our style at all. Neither of us drink or party much. We're looking to experience relaxation and checking out a couple ports.

So now I'm 2nd-guessing the short cruise idea because I don't want the obnoxious crowds to dampen our relaxation. How crazy would I be taking our chances on her sea-sickness on a full weeklong cruise? Have you ever cruised with someone who gets sick easily? And did it subside after a couple days?

Pam

You are asking some good questions.

Are there ANY shorter cruises with more upscale cruise lines?  I don't know, but perhaps others do?

The higher price point would very likely reduce the number of "party types" who are looking for a booze cruise, etc.

Or you could try a longer (7 day?) cruise but be prepared to disembark early if she is truly absolutely miserable.

NOTE: Due to some US laws, it would not work well to plan to disembark early at a different USA port than the one you sailed from.  But with a Caribbean cruise, chances are excellent that there are "non-USA" ports where you *could* get off pretty quickly.

And perhaps if she knows she *could* get off, that would help, vs. thinking she's "trapped there for the entire week"?

Yes, it MIGHT be helpful to "try to stick it out" to see if things calm down, but that depends upon how miserable she is.  She - and you - might be pleasantly surprised.

Also, pay SERIOUS attention to where your cabin is located.  Try to get a cabin on a LOW deck, close to the middle of the ship.  That section has the least movement, relatively speaking.

You might ask a travel agent (or ask here on CC!) about finding a cabin in that location that isn't right next to [or over or under] "something noisy".

And try to avoid "spring break" timing, but that's probably less of a concern the more upscale the cruise line, given the price points are higher.

Also, ask her physician about any meds to bring "just in case", to make sure anything she might try doesn't interact with other meds or just be contra-indicated for her.

You could also get independent travel insurance that includes CFAR coverage (Cancel For Any Reason).  At least some of those also include "interruption for any reason".  It costs extra, but the peace of mind, particularly in a situation like yours when you already know you *might* want to get off early, may be a help.

Please CALLSteve at

www.TripInsuranceStore.com to discuss this to make sure!

https://tripinsurancestore.com

This type of CFAR often only pays 75%, but it's cash back, NOT a credit of some sort, perhaps with a time limit to be used.  That should remove the "sting" of needing to get off.  I'm assuming CFAR would work for this, but again, check.  TIS is a travel insurance broker and they work with several vetted insurers.  We've gotten all of our policies from them after learning about them here on CC just over 10 years ago.  Many others on CC also recommend them.

And we've had several claims, including some large ones, and there was never any difficulty getting paid very promptly.  (IF you have a problem contact Steve or one of his associates to make sure that you handle it to make a claim work easily.)

CFAR also lets you cancel (75% refund of entire cruise fare, but some add-ons may be fully refundable anyway) if you are worried about stormy weather.

(If it's a major hurricane, the cruise may be re-routed, and the insurance may cover at a higher rate... again, I'm not sure, so again, check.)

We hope you have a wonderful time!

GC

I get motion sickness. A fishing boat wouldn’t be possible, I can’t even manage merry go rounds. Never had an issue cruising, always get a centrally located cabin and bring some non drowsy Bonnie just in case. I would not be able to read in a moving car.

3 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I get motion sickness. A fishing boat wouldn’t be possible, I can’t even manage merry go rounds. Never had an issue cruising, always get a centrally located cabin and bring some non drowsy Bonnie just in case. I would not be able to read in a moving car.

Good point. I've never really seen any correlation between the length of a cruise, and the number of folks who suffer from motion sickness. Unless, of course, you are calculating the likelihood of encountering rough seas, etc, to be greater on a longer voyage.

BTW -- I like your 'be prepared' strategy!

• Like 1

I'll toss this out with the disclaimer that I don't suffer from motion sickness on cruise ships (or small boats).  So, I'm not speaking from experience.   Anyway, what I'm thinking is for a longer cruise, if the motion sickness goes away in a day or two, I would have the remainder of the cruise to enjoy.  Might be all wet, IDK.  

It looked like you were writing about me!!!  Like many have said, the newer ships are built differently with much new technology that helps from being tossed from side to side.  Im sure you will try to get a mid-ship cabin ( inside, window,balcony) on a lower deck. The higher up, the more sway is felt. The closest to the front, the more ups and downs WILL BE felt.  I take chewable Bonine right before the Muster drill ( due to things being on video now,  take it 30 min before sail away).  I do not look out any windows if I am feeling seasick, and when dining, I have my back to the window.  If she starts feeling sweaty and nauseous, have her go outside to take many deep breaths of fresh air, and have her keep her head upright as well as stare off onto the horizon.  If worse comes to worse, she should go back to her cabin, lay flat on her back , close her eyes, and again, take many deep breaths ( sort of like meditating).  The best first cruise for folks like us is usually in calmer waters, like Alaska, but that is a long stretch from where you are.  Have her drink lots of Ginger Ale.  Ginger, and green apples ( not together) seem to calm the feel of seasickness. I have been cruising for 30 years, and still get queazy every so often.  Its just how we are.