Ban on multi plugs now, what about power converters for post cruise

beth555

1 hour ago, beth555 said:

So we are taking a transatlantic next year and I see Royal just banned multi outlet plugs but what if you are taking one with a power converter that has multiple plugs for post cruise hotel in Europe 

I bought one too. I'm doing a b2b so they hold it both legs or 1?

It's still new in the box, someone on the europe threads said to get it, now it might be banned. No cord, just a cube. To charge my tablet and phone. To me this is over the top stupid on royals part.

Im going to wait for the threads and see what they actually confiscated before I react. This is to save them electricity? Talk about cheap. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Im going to wait for the threads and see what they actually confiscated before I react. This is to save them electricity? Talk about cheap. 

It's about not overloading a circuit (fire hazard).  Ship's power is very different from land.  The updated banned items specifically says no multi-plugs.  USB are allowed because they are different.  People have been reporting for several weeks that their multi-plugs have been confiscated.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BND said:

It's about not overloading a circuit (fire hazard).  Ship's power is very different from land.  The updated banned items specifically says no multi-plugs.  USB are allowed because they are different.  People have been reporting for several weeks that their multi-plugs have been confiscated.

Mine has a place to plug in to charge. I've never charged from just usb outlets, though I guess it's possible. My point is I just bought one new in the box for the rome hotel. And now its possibly not allowed. 

I have not seen a multi plug confiscated and when I see one with a picture then I'll know. Heresay isnt enough for me to decide. I'll keep it wrapped up and see if it gets thru. My guess is multi cubes with no cords get confiscated there will be pushback from cruisers. I want to see a picture of a confiscated cube. 

45 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

If the item is detained, you'll get it back at the end of the cruise.

Thanks that was what I was thinking too….next year we have a Celebrity cruise to Norway, then spending 9 days in a London, then jumping on Brilliance. We want to take our convertor….

EDIT to add….we’ll also bring the “now approved” chargers for use on the ships.

Edited by lovesthebeach2

3 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Thanks that was what I was thinking too….next year we have a Celebrity cruise to Norway, then spending 9 days in a London, then jumping on Brilliance. We want to take our convertor….

EDIT to add….we’ll also bring the “now approved” chargers for use on the ships.

I have a USB cube and a USB cord that splits into  4 different ends for different devices.  The only things I plug directly into the outlet is my hair dryer and my laptop (when I need to).  Everything else (DH and I each have a Kindle, phone, watch) gets charged via USB while onboard.  And, most of the time only one device is charging at a time.  My USB cube only has two USB outlets, but you can buy them with more and they are allowed.

20 minutes ago, BND said:

I have a USB cube and a USB cord that splits into  4 different ends for different devices.  The only things I plug directly into the outlet is my hair dryer and my laptop (when I need to).  Everything else (DH and I each have a Kindle, phone, watch) gets charged via USB while onboard.  And, most of the time only one device is charging at a time.  My USB cube only has two USB outlets, but you can buy them with more and they are allowed.

Thanks, I have them, but we also have a convertor that we can use in London that we’ll bring to use there. We’ve used that for the past few years on Royal and know it’s banned now but it has the UK plug on it and it’s a really good device. When we used it on Royal we always unplugged it during the day and only used it to charge at night….and never used it for anything other than to charge our Apple devices..

59 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

This is to save them electricity? Talk about cheap. 

52 minutes ago, BND said:

It's about not overloading a circuit (fire hazard).

This.

According to this post in one of the other threads, one of these cordless multi-plugs actually did start on fire shortly before the policy change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

What’s the difference of having 3-4 plug outlets.  Or 3-4 usb outlets with no plugs.    I’m no electrician but aren’t these running the same way.  And using the same power to charge.     🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

IMG_0216.png

IMG_0215.png

3 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

What’s the difference of having 3-4 plug outlets.  Or 3-4 usb outlets with no plugs.    I’m no electrician but aren’t these running the same way.  And using the same power to charge.     🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

IMG_0216.png

IMG_0215.png

USB's do not draw power the same way regular outlets do.  USB's do not overload like regular outlets.  Multi-plugs can and do.  They are not the same.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Mine has a place to plug in to charge. I've never charged from just usb outlets, though I guess it's possible. My point is I just bought one new in the box for the rome hotel. And now its possibly not allowed. 

I have not seen a multi plug confiscated and when I see one with a picture then I'll know. Heresay isnt enough for me to decide. I'll keep it wrapped up and see if it gets thru. My guess is multi cubes with no cords get confiscated there will be pushback from cruisers. I want to see a picture of a confiscated cube. 

I had a multi-plug adapter confiscated at Port Miami last week when we went on Allure. It was the same adapter I have used for years without issue. The woman at the terminal said they were no longer allowed, which was the first I heard about the change. I am going on Celebrity Beyond next week. Plan to see if I can get it on the ship then. If it gets confiscated again, I won’t bother picking it up after the cruise. I also bought a USB only adapter from Amazon the other day. That shouldn’t be an issue. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

IMG_0216.png

IMG_0215.png

They are not running the same way. USB ports convert AC power from one AC outlet to the DC power that devices like smartphones, iPads and laptops use. The ships mains use AC. That block you show with 4 USB ports is not an outlet. It is a charging block.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, mike45orlando said:

I never complain about Royal Caribbean but now I will.

Instead of just updating their list of banned items with new verbage, how about just a little clarification for everyone that is now confused.

It almost seems like a trial balloon.

It is clear. What is banned are multiple AC outlets on a strip or an adapter. Multi plugs. USB ports are not plugs or AC outlets. You may be confused because you don't understand the difference between AC and DC. Your AC voltage is 120 for US and 230 volts for the rest of the world. Your smartphone for example does not run on AC voltage. It runs on lower DC voltage. 

Edited by Charles4515

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It is clear. What is banned are multiple AC outlets on a strip or an adapter. Multi plugs. USB ports are not plugs or AC outlets. You may be confused because you don't understand the difference between AC and DC. Your AC voltage is 120 for US and 230 volts for the rest of the world. Your smartphone for example does not run on AC voltage. It runs on lower DC voltage. 

All I said was the company could have clarified things a little instead of just changing the verbage in their rules.

I know it's not lobster tails but it's a big issue with most of their customers so a little more explanation could have been helpful.

I am not confused as I use a multi USB adapter but thank you for your concern.

On 9/23/2024 at 11:25 AM, Charles4515 said:

They are not running the same way. USB ports convert AC power from one AC outlet to the DC power that devices like smartphones, iPads and laptops use. The ships mains use AC. That block you show with 4 USB ports is not an outlet. It is a charging block.

Charles4515 ~ you seem to know what you're talking about.  Do you think a usb charger like this will be acceptable?

thumbnail image 3 of onn. 4.8A Dual-Port USB Wall Charger, Foldable Plug, Compatible for iPhone, iPad and Android Smartphones, 3 of 5

We always take an European outlet. Once on board everyone needs to ask the room attendants for multiport outlets. When refused head straight down to Guest Relations. When they refuse, leave horrible reviews about the room, Guest Relations not being able to resolve problems, leave the cruise horrible reviews. I think Miami will get the point real fast.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FOXTROT said:

We always take an European outlet. Once on board everyone needs to ask the room attendants for multiport outlets. When refused head straight down to Guest Relations. When they refuse, leave horrible reviews about the room, Guest Relations not being able to resolve problems, leave the cruise horrible reviews. I think Miami will get the point real fast.

Why is it appropriate to harass the on-ship staff because you don't like a fire safety policy implementation by the cruise line? Do you really think Royal did this just to annoy their passengers? Complaining about it and harassing the staff will not remove the safety risk they are clearly trying to mitigate. 

Edited by donsullivan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, vadersprincess12 said:

Charles4515 ~ you seem to know what you're talking about.  Do you think a usb charger like this will be acceptable?

thumbnail image 3 of onn. 4.8A Dual-Port USB Wall Charger, Foldable Plug, Compatible for iPhone, iPad and Android Smartphones, 3 of 5

The power strip you have the charger plugged into is no good but the charger itself looks good. That is an odd shaped charger. Are there more USB ports on the other side?

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The power strip you have the charger plugged into is no good but the charger itself looks good. That is an odd shaped charger. Are there more USB ports on the other side?

Thanks ~ that was a stock picture.  I was looking at just the usb charger, but I got this one instead.  It plugs directly into the wall and will charge 4 devices.  Think we're good now.  Thanks for your input.

USB Wall Charger Block, 40W Multi-Port Fast Charging Block Power Adapter for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, White

8 minutes ago, vadersprincess12 said:

Thanks ~ that was a stock picture.  I was looking at just the usb charger, but I got this one instead.  It plugs directly into the wall and will charge 4 devices.  Think we're good now.  Thanks for your input.

USB Wall Charger Block, 40W Multi-Port Fast Charging Block Power Adapter for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, White

The one you got is good as long as all you have are devices that use USB-A. Newer phones, tablets and other USB powered devices are mostly using the smaller USB C ports. 

Edited by Charles4515