Ban on multi plugs now, what about power converters for post cruise

beth555

If you are buying a new multi-port USB Charger, I would highly recommend buying one that is mostly USB-C, with at least 1 or 2 that are 65W+ if you want to charge a laptop or some high power tablets.

Then, for your legacy devices, get a USB-C to microUSB cables (or there are also USB-C to USB-A adaptors).

Cable Matters Braided USB C to Micro USB Cable 3.3 ft (Micro USB to USB-C Cable, USB Type C to Micro USB Cable), BlackSyntech USB C to USB Adapter Pack of 2 USB C Male to USB 3.0 Female Adapter Compatible with MacBook Pro Air 2024, Microsof...

The reason being is futureproofing. You are less and less likely to buy things that are micro-USB, and so more and more devices will come with USB-C cables. I specifically look for USB-C vs. microUSB when looking at anything that is rechargeable or uses USB for power. Once you are outside of phones/tablets, it can be harder than you would think. Makeup Mirrors, little portable fans, etc.

Anyway, the second reason is that USB-C supports faster charging speeds than USB-A. 

Summary chart by ChatGPT:

image.thumb.png.c764e7764c2782957df7f23ddddca6a0.png

This is the charger we use. I bought it last year to upgrade from a charger that was all USB-A:

41A1COpmNzL._SY180_.jpgimage.png.519056b07aaf16d92241dc0e922b9d27.png

My wife's Samsung watch has a charging base that has a hard-wired USB-A.

32 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

So, is something like this allowed?  Thanks..

IMG_5384.jpeg

Yes, but while it does specifically say you can charge multiple devices at once, you are limited to 1 device that used microUSB, 1 that uses USB-C and 2 that use lighning. I would also think that once you connect more than 1, that your charging power will be split amongst the devices plugged in. So if you have 4devices that each say they will take 30 minutes to charge when plugged in alone, if you plug in all 4, you might be looking at 2 hours.

I think you are better off with a charger that has multiple ports (again, I recommend USB-C), rather than a code that tries to split.

2 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Yes, but while it does specifically say you can charge multiple devices at once, you are limited to 1 device that used microUSB, 1 that uses USB-C and 2 that use lighning. I would also think that once you connect more than 1, that your charging power will be split amongst the devices plugged in. So if you have 4devices that each say they will take 30 minutes to charge when plugged in alone, if you plug in all 4, you might be looking at 2 hours.

I think you are better off with a charger that has multiple ports (again, I recommend USB-C), rather than a code that tries to split.

Thanks for your input.  I have used a similar version to this and have done kindle and phone at same time and it’s pretty fast.  A charger with multiple USB/ USB-C ports is okay?  

4 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

Thanks for your input.  I have used a similar version to this and have done kindle and phone at same time and it’s pretty fast.  A charger with multiple USB/ USB-C ports is okay?  

The general belief in how the new wording should be interpreted is yes. Multiple USB ports is fine. The updated rule applies to 110/220v AC "plugs" only. There is no reason to believe that low voltage DC USB-ports are in danger.

No one has reported any issues with them yet.

The only difference between the old wording and the new wording is that it used to be devices with multiple plugs that had a cord were banned, but no cord was fine. Now it doesn't matter. In either case, it was referring to high voltage plugs.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2024 at 11:00 AM, BND said:

USB's do not draw power the same way regular outlets do.  USB's do not overload like regular outlets.  Multi-plugs can and do.  They are not the same.

Retracted

Edited by MD_Dan
duplication

15 hours ago, donsullivan said:

Why is it appropriate to harass the on-ship staff because you don't like a fire safety policy implementation by the cruise line? Do you really think Royal did this just to annoy their passengers? Complaining about it and harassing the staff will not remove the safety risk they are clearly trying to mitigate. 

RCL last year 7,648,000 passengers divided by 2 per cabin sailed with RCL , ruffly 3,824,000 cabins in 2023. Doing a search of fires on cruise ships caused from electrical cords 0, for all cruise lines. Faulty wiring is a major cause of cruise ship fires, not caused by passengers. Asking a room attendant for an extension cord (which I have done multiple time for my cpap machine) is NOT harassment. Going to Guest services & asking for the same item is NOT harassment. I know the staff has been asked for much worse than a cord or plug. Can't find where there is a true danger & if enough people complain they will come up with a better idea.

Edited by FOXTROT
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2024 at 5:09 AM, firefly333 said:

I have not seen a multi plug confiscated and when I see one with a picture then I'll know. Heresay isnt enough for me to decide.

I work at Pier 91 Seattle.  I noticed this week on our Carnival day that on the post cruise 'pick up your confiscated items' table a large number of multi plug extension cords.  These were the thick cords multi plugs that you would find under your desk at home.

The one surprising item I saw confiscated (on Carnival) were room fans - including small desk top fans. (like in a 8 inch square box).  That surprised me.

27 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I work at Pier 91 Seattle.  I noticed this week on our Carnival day that on the post cruise 'pick up your confiscated items' table a large number of multi plug extension cords.  These were the thick cords multi plugs that you would find under your desk at home.

The one surprising item I saw confiscated (on Carnival) were room fans - including small desk top fans. (like in a 8 inch square box).  That surprised me.

Mine is a europe converter, a cube. To plug in my tablet... no cord attached. But I can plug in my phone and tablet to convert power and charge in europe. I'm doing a trip to europe and need it the hotel. I got a cordless one.  We will see.

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

i am not surprised. Whenever i cruise out of Cape Liberty, security always gives me a hard time with a 8in battery operated fan. maybe its due to the size of the D batteries that makes it create an ugly image on the security scanners 

• Haha 1

Oh, wait, just wait till someone decided to start looking closely at those "high" output USB battery bank / pack designed to recharge iPhone, smartphone, iPad and tablet.  Just a handful has been documented to self-ignite whether attended or unattended.  

Buy a bargain "phone" charger at the Dollar Store with the UL label and plug that into the wall outlet, the risk for that is just as great ... if not higher than multi-outlet adapter.  

Got a better idea, why don't RC upgrade and modernize its fleet to provide more than 2 outlets ASAP and then, at-ease ... I hate to carry these "extras" ourselves to make up for their shortfalls, FWIW.  

Will go with whatever ... glad to read that Carnival and other cruise lines are NOT planning to follow this.  Yeah, requested 3 days ago that an extension cord be provided by RC to our staterooms for medical necessities. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, RobInMN said:

I have something similar and it does slow it down some, but I have charged a couple of things at a time.  Usually phone and kindle.  But, we charge most things overnight anyway.

Amazon.com: BREEKET USB C Fast Charger, 100W GaN 6 Port Type USB C Charging Station Hub Block Cube, USB C Wall Charger Power Strip Adapter Plug for iPad iPhone 15 14 13 12 11 Pro Max Pixel Note Galaxy, 5ft Cord : Cell Phones & Accessories

image.thumb.png.f4d1b8877e7fc20073d3b76ac4323120.png

Am I correct that the above item should be acceptable? Even though it has a 5' cord. It is not expanding electrical outlets>  or does this have a surge protector built in? image.thumb.png.d0b5beeec1a14a51f591fc41883e47f5.png

Edited by RCCLNYMETS41

10 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

Amazon.com: BREEKET USB C Fast Charger, 100W GaN 6 Port Type USB C Charging Station Hub Block Cube, USB C Wall Charger Power Strip Adapter Plug for iPad iPhone 15 14 13 12 11 Pro Max Pixel Note Galaxy, 5ft Cord : Cell Phones & Accessories

Am I correct that the above item should be acceptable? Even though it has a 5' cord. It is not expanding electrical outlets>  or does this have a surge protector built in? 

Should be fine.

6 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

all of thta protective stuff does not mean it has a surge protector built in? (which I think is not allowed.) I am not very tecchy so some of the lingo goes past me.

No. Surge protection is different than all those other protections it lists. In fact, if you go down to the "Looking for specific info?" box and type "Surge", it will say that it doesn't and that you can plug it into a surge protected power strip for added protection.

On 9/23/2024 at 8:09 AM, firefly333 said:

Mine has a place to plug in to charge. I've never charged from just usb outlets, though I guess it's possible. My point is I just bought one new in the box for the rome hotel. And now its possibly not allowed. 

I have not seen a multi plug confiscated and when I see one with a picture then I'll know. Heresay isnt enough for me to decide. I'll keep it wrapped up and see if it gets thru. My guess is multi cubes with no cords get confiscated there will be pushback from cruisers. I want to see a picture of a confiscated cube. 

It is all about fire(electrical) safety. Royal was the first this time but no matter cruise lines always have followed the leader about things like this. We used to bring small travel irons then there was a fire from one, Now, no one brings an iron. You can bring your cube for Rome. The ship keeps all sorts of items until the last night when they can be picked back up. We had a power cord taken once. I asked the teen to get the cord from the desk and she thought they were all the same so grabbed the one from the little reading area and tossed that in her suitcase. That one had a surge protector on it and they kept it until the last night when we got it back. I am sure you know who was the last to charge their phone. Anyway, they are not doing it to be mean, but to protect us. We can bring the plug for your multi-USB plug ins. Amazon has a lot of options, one plug with mulit ports to charge phones, laptops, tablets, watches, etc. For the medical needs (C-Pap) call the cruise line and they will help you do a work around. It is all only an issue on the older smaller ships. The newer ones have plenty of ports and plugs.