Look like specialty restaurants will be changed to cover charge next year

dhanakorn

8 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I wonder when you have to pay it? If you pay when you make your reservations, how will it work with the platinum vouchers?

I wouldn't assume that there are any platinum vouchers. 

they may be done away with (the benefit rescinded or altered or "enhanced," for your convenience) or you could conceivably receive "credits" to be used at any specialty restaurant with a "cover charge," much like FAS credits.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any place we have ever dined that has a Prix Fixe menu also has a regular menu.  Would not be surpised if for the FAS they limit the choices quite a bit but offer anything you want for an additional fee or if you are paying for the upgraded FAS package.  Guess we will find out soon enough.

Great way to extract more money from cruisers and more revenues for the company and it's shareholders.

Edited by seemoreroyals
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I think they did this way back when specialty dining first came out. It does simplify things. Curious what the prices will be. Way back I think La Cucina was 15 dollars. We shall see what the adjusted for inflation price is!

Yes. When we started cruising back in 2014 and 2015, the specialty restaurants each had a cover charge.

La Cucina was $15 -- Cagney's and Le Bistro were more. I'm not sure what the prices were for others. This was before Free At Sea and we thought paying $15 for a meal in La Cucina (2015) was reasonable. We also paid for Cagney's on our first cruise.

I'll be curious to see how this all plays out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, UKstages said:

they may be done away with (the benefit rescinded or altered or "enhanced," for your convenience) or you could conceivably receive "credits" to be used at any specialty restaurant with a "cover charge," much like FAS credits.

And I'm wondering will these changes depend on when you BOOKED your cruise or when the cruise sails.

24 minutes ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I wonder when you have to pay it? If you pay when you make your reservations, how will it work with the platinum vouchers?

I wouldn't want to pay ahead of cruise for my free Platinum dinners.  There goes our early booking advantage unless they are finding a way to give us Platinum advance booking credits.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UKstages said:

That would be a really bad idea. The dining perk is one reason I like to cruise with NCL. I am not opposed to cruising with other lines if they take away that perk. NCLs MDR food is not good enough for me to want to eat there every night.

• Like 2

Cover charge in the old days ... these were from the Dawn 2003-2005.  Cover charge for Cagney's was as low as $15 p/p and LeBistro lower at $10 p/p like Bamboo - open for sea day lunch and 50% off or BOGO

The varieties, options & choices with that nominal coverage charge, 15% or 20% not applicable ... once upon a time.

IMG_20190721_153633196.thumb.jpg.1f855183bd487059fd716ea3e9f991b8.jpg

IMG_20190721_153352202.thumb.jpg.0267e5c1072c93d10d3dbc6ba08c9eda.jpg

IMG_20190721_153410446.thumb.jpg.648fcc582a674862b0b76b56f4bd9fca.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I was wondering the same thing! I would think it would be messy to refund all those dinners after they have been paid for!

• Like 1

The biggest issue I can see with this is having to pay upfront for latitudes meals (and potentially any additional packages purchased or FAS+). The system doesn’t always even recognise those additional packages.

Unless they do something about this then it could have a serious impact on the ability to prebook meals.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Well it looks like they updated the app now, too,  Now there is both Cover Charge and Pre Fixe.🤷‍♀️ 

and based on that, my (sure to be unpopular) prediction is that they will institute both a prix fixe and a cover charge!

in other words, the meal itself will be prix fixe. probably different prices at different restaurants. for the sake of argument, let's say $69 per person at cagney's and le bistro, maybe $49 at los lobos and la cucina. aw, hell... why not make it $79 across the board at every restaurant?

FAS credits and platinum coupons would be accepted as they are now, with, most likely, one set of rules... my best guess is they would adopt the more restrictive platinum dinner rules and apply them uniformly to both FAS credits and platinum dinners. my best guess is that you would continue to book reservations online just as you do today. no payment would be required. 

and then, on top of that, when you dine, a cover charge would be imposed... a fee for the privilege of dining or redeeming your credits/coupons. think of this like a "resort fee" at dinner. call it $10 or $15 a person or $20 or whatever. the way this is written, it sounds like you would pay the cover charge and 20% gratuity based on the cover charge. i assume that when they say "specialty service charge," they are using that term interchangeably with "cover charge." but I have no inside information... i am, as are so many others, just speculating. I can't imagine that would be a THIRD charge.

if they do away with collecting gratuity on FAS dining and shift it to the cover charge, they can artificially lower the sticker shock of the initial purchase price, especially on longer cruises. but the gratuity would be less. surely, they don't mean to collect gratuity on both FAS meals plus the cover charge for those meals? by the way, slapping a gratuity on a cover charge is almost unheard of. there is no "product" being provided. the cover charge is itself a fee. 

if this is true, i can't imagine what that big october 1 announcement will be... i don't see any way this, as we have speculated here, is a positive change or how it can be spun as an exciting program enhancement. preliminarily, it sounds like (potentially) more restrictive dining rules, along with a $10 - $25 (just speculating) upcharge for each specialty dinner. unless they will be waiving the cover charge for FAS and platinum (and above meals) or waiving it for all meals for sapphires and diamonds (just speculating).

now, to be fair, this may mean greater availability of restaurant reservations, as some may find the cover charge prohibitive. but, again, how they spin this as a win for customers is beyond me, unless it's promoted as an exciting change to onboard dining... pay one low price, regardless of which specialty doing restaurant you choose... and that would be a bit of a stretch. 

Edited by UKstages

4 hours ago, UKstages said:

Isn't that exactly how it currently works for the fixed price venues with Platinum vouchers?  The simplest explanation is that they are just making all of the restaurants like Teppanyaki and Moderno are currently set up.  The "gotcha" for Platinum and above is that you'll have to pay for those reservations if made in advance and figure out how to refund/apply vouchers on the ship.  This is the same challenge faced by people wanting to use non-refundable OBC for Shorex.  I'll be watching this, especially wrt two 2025 cruises that I have already made "no charge" dining reservations for Cagney's and Ocean Blue.

There is an issue that NCL likely recognizes with the current system.  Example:  I can book Cagney's for multiple days and then just decide which night I want once on board.  If I had to pre-pay, I would book none or the most likely night.

15 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

The "gotcha" for Platinum and above is that you'll have to pay for those reservations if made in advance and figure out how to refund/apply vouchers on the ship. 

no, not necessarily.

the assumption the good folks on this board often make is that new policies will be implemented using existing infrastructure and systems. but that may not be the case. while it's true that the way it works now is that you're charged upfront for fixed price restaurants, that may not be true under these new rules. unless they are doing away with FAS meals and/or the platinum meal benefits. then katie bar the door!

the screenshot of the blurb above says reservations may be made in advance and that additional charges apply at time of purchase. when is the time of purchase? only NCL knows. their verbiage is imprecise, as usual. I think the time of purchase is when you sit down to eat dinner.

Edited by UKstages
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, UKstages said:

no, not necessarily.

the assumption the good folks on this board often make is that new policies will be implemented using existing infrastructure and systems. but that may not be the case. while it's true that the way it works now is that you're charged upfront for fixed price restaurants, that may not be true under these new rules. unless they are doing away with FAS meals and/or the platinum meal benefits. then katie bar the door!

the screenshot of the blurb above says reservations may be made in advance and that additional charges apply at time of purchase. when is the time of purchase? only NCL knows. their verbiage is imprecise, as usual. I think the time of purchase is when you sit down to eat dinner.

Yep.  I thought that as well.  It could be as simple as just leaving everything the same as it is except removing all prices from the menus and charging a fixed amount (cash, FAS or voucher).  That may help them sell meal packages, as the customer/sucker could see the "real" prices in advance and just decide to pay for a 2/3/4/.... meal package.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  I thought that as well.  It could be as simple as just leaving everything the same as it is except removing all prices from the menus and charging a fixed amount (cash, FAS or voucher).  That may help them sell meal packages, as the customer/sucker could see the "real" prices in advance and just decide to pay for a 2/3/4/.... meal package.

Yes. Probably. How’s that for being definitive (usage check please Ukstages).  🤣

Actually, I think ChiefMateJRK is likely correct.  But my 2 cents would be:  if you buy a SD package (2/3/4) you are paying the 20% grat at time of purchasing the package…which gives you the opportunity of booking dining in advance.  For those with Platinum+ vouchers would have to make reservations once onboard…not before. 

9 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Isn't that exactly how it currently works for the fixed price venues with Platinum vouchers?  The simplest explanation is that they are just making all of the restaurants like Teppanyaki and Moderno are currently set up.  The "gotcha" for Platinum and above is that you'll have to pay for those reservations if made in advance and figure out how to refund/apply vouchers on the ship.  This is the same challenge faced by people wanting to use non-refundable OBC for Shorex.  I'll be watching this, especially wrt two 2025 cruises that I have already made "no charge" dining reservations for Cagney's and Ocean Blue.

There is an issue that NCL likely recognizes with the current system.  Example:  I can book Cagney's for multiple days and then just decide which night I want once on board.  If I had to pre-pay, I would book none or the most likely night.

What we don't know, and NCL does:

1. How many specialties get overbooked per cruise?

2. How many people complain about not getting a reservation at all (or at their preferred time) due to no-shows from over booking?

3. How many people are actually paying the al la carte pricing, vs using free at sea, pay in advance pre cruise or platinum vouchers? 

My guesses;

1. Depends on ratio of first time NCL vs long term NCL.  Cruises with long term NCL probably have a much higher overbooking.  People have stated they do that on threads here, and it is simply for their convenience.  First time NCL maybe more honest in their bookings, not realizing you can overbook w/o penalty.

2. Again, ratio of new to old customers, but there have been complaints here about not being able to get specialties by both groups.  I have seen Cagney's with every seat taken, I have also seen it only 30% full in prime time hours.  Note that you can now order Cagney's al la carte in MDR, which may reduce it's sit down demand.

3. Once inside the specialty, I doubt very few pay the al la carte price, families with kids are an exception. I can buy extra specialties on line up front at 1 single price, regardless of location.  Again new to NCL may not notice that add on, but it will be more obvious with this change.

12 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

For those with Platinum+ vouchers would have to make reservations once onboard…not before. 

since making reservations in advance of others is a much-loved platinum and above benefit, I just don't see them taking that away, or restricting it to only FAS meals, while letting platinums and above fend for themselves for their extra meal reservations once onboard. 

I see this as a way to cut down on the crowding in specially restaurants, which is ironic, because specialty dining was designed originally to disperse hungry guests far and wide away from the crowded buffet and MDRs. 

Edited by UKstages

11 minutes ago, UKstages said:

since making reservations in advance of others is a much-loved platinum and above benefit, I just don't see them taking that away, or restricting it to only FAS meals, while letting platinums and above fend for themselves for their extra meal reservations once onboard. 

I see this as a way to cut down on the crowding in specially restaurants, which is ironic, because specialty dining was designed originally to disperse hungry guests far and wide away from the crowded buffet and MDRs. 

It can be really not much of a change.  As I noted, you can buy pre-cruise a 2 specialty pkg for 1 price (plus grats) for any and all of the restaurants.  Essentially a single per meal price.

Removing al la carte (for those who do purchase that way) reduces mistakes by staff and makes billing much easier.  As noted, Moderno, Teppenyaki and Asian Republic operate this way.  One of the main comments about all 3 is that you get LOTS of food.

Cross referencing the number of specialties in your account to the number of reservations you make is what is needed.  If that means charging for any reservations over and above what your specialty amount, so be it.  Will there be mistakes made?  Probably some, but long term NCL will figure out quickly not to overbook.

Overbooking causes staffing problems and food prep problems.  Reducing overbooking makes things easier all around, and of course probably saves money. 

15 minutes ago, UKstages said:

to only FAS meals

For me, FAS meals is an assumption.  IMO there will be no FAS.  You buy basic fare and add on Drinks, SD packages, Internet and PrePaid Gratuities.   A hybrid of how Princess and MSC serve up these options.

If what I present is true, then demand for SD diners will be less, therefore a Platinum/+ wanting to take advantage once onboard will not have access issues.  MSC does not take any SD reservations until onboard…and if you want SD, you have to buy a 2-4 venue package.  Which BTW, my few experiences with MSC SD, the restaurants were really empty.  

23 minutes ago, UKstages said:

see this as a way to cut down on the crowding in specially 

Likely true.  

24 minutes ago, UKstages said:

which is ironic, because specialty dining was designed originally to disperse hungry guests far and wide away from the crowded buffet and MDRs. 

Does NCL really value guest experience any longer?  Flooding the MDRs with more guests gives NCL an excuse to deliver moderate food and service at s lower cost than what one would expect from SD venues.

Let’s not lose (not loose😁) sight that the current NCL leadership team has revenue backgrounds vs. branding.  That makes a huge difference in the decisions that are made when navigating a company forward.  

30 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Let’s not lose (not loose😁) sight that the current NCL leadership team has revenue backgrounds vs. branding.  That makes a huge difference in the decisions that are made when navigating a company forward.  

Such a true statement! I know some folks hated FDR, but I do believe he wanted to improve the NCL brand name as opposed to Harry & David who only care about tomorrow's stock price.

• Like 1