Still trying to understand why power strips would be banned...

VentureMan_2000

13 hours ago, DeniseTr said:

I'd add #4. Those who need to understand the reason for the rule to follow it. 

I think I'm a combo between 1 & 4. I tend to follow rules, but may fudge around the edges if I think it doesn't make sense or is arbitrary. (For instance, last time I went on RCL I brought my own extension cord, even though their rules said it isn't allowed., and I'm planning on bringing 16oz Rockstars on my upcoming Carnival cruise)

I'm gonna have to drop a dime on you and phone a friend...............John Heald can you hear me now? 

• Haha 2

On 9/27/2024 at 8:21 PM, BlerkOne said:

Many fans were seized on our recent cruise. Including new in box and portable. If in checked luggage and it had a cord, bye bye. Battery powered was okay. For now.

Kindly explain how you noticed all this. Were you down there watching security open luggage? 😁

26 minutes ago, Diamond-56-Plus said:

Kindly explain how you noticed all this. Were you down there watching security open luggage? 😁

I saw that in two places. A member of my group got called to the naughty room and I accompanied her there. There was a table full of confiscated items including extension cords, power strips, irons and steamers. In the luggage pickup area I have seen a similar table with the confiscated items waiting for passengers to reclaim their confiscated prohibited items. Power Strips, extension cords, a bunch of irons etc. Irons are probably easy to catch on the scanners. The pile was so big she decided not wait for them to go through it and find her confiscated steamer. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I saw that in two places. A member of my group got called to the naughty room and I accompanied her there. There was a table full of confiscated items including extension cords, power strips, irons and steamers. In the luggage pickup area I have seen a similar table with the confiscated items waiting for passengers to reclaim their confiscated prohibited items. Power Strips, extension cords, a bunch of irons etc. Irons are probably easy to catch on the scanners. The pile was so big she decided not wait for them to go through it and find her confiscated steamer. 

The naughty room has always been popular for that.

What no liquor? I seem to remember Carnival keeps all confiscated liquor now. For the crew parties of course. 👍

16 minutes ago, Diamond-56-Plus said:

What no liquor? I seem to remember Carnival keeps all confiscated liquor now. For the crew parties of course. 👍

Maybe restocking the bars....that would have a certain symmetry to it.  But logic tells me other wise.

2 hours ago, Diamond-56-Plus said:

Not mine, but yes, I was there. Our fan was allowed because it was battery powered. The person before us was Santa Claus and they confiscated Mrs Claus' fan. If it had a power cord they were taking it. Security had amassed a large collection of fans, alcohol, etc.

Not sure when it changed, but I see now they are also supposed to be in carry ons.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diamond-56-Plus said:

If the suitcase is unlocked the shore side staff has a party. If it makes it to the naughty room, you have a random chance of getting it back.

DSC_5089.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If the suitcase is unlocked the shore side staff has a party. If it makes it to the naughty room, you have a random chance of getting it back.

DSC_5089.JPG

They need to donate or dump everything taken.  The "outrage" may get people's attention.  This method is more lotto than comforting, it gives hope that "my" contraband might get on and if not, no loss, I can get it back.  

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

Why?  The "do not bring" list is on the website.  The news generated by people getting these items taken and not returned might get the word out.  Right now, it seems like there is no penalty.

From reading this thread it seem as regards to the electrical items many people don't have a clue so they bring stuff that is prohibited. It is not like an iron which is pretty well defined. So I think they should be able to get the confiscated items back. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

From reading this thread it seem as regards to the electrical items many people don't have a clue so they bring stuff that is prohibited. It is not like an iron which is pretty well defined. So I think they should be able to get the confiscated items back. 

The published list is very clear.  

Prohibited Items

• Any illegal narcotics/drugs including synthetic, designer drugs, marijuana, cannabis and cannabis derivatives such as Cannabidiol (CBD) items which may be labeled as medical marijuana. While certain CBD products used for medicinal purposes may be legal in the U.S. based on state and local laws, they are not legal under U.S. federal law and in all the ports we visit and therefore are also considered prohibited items. 
  • All weapons and any item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon: firearms (including replicas, imitations and their components), spears or spear guns, crossbows, crossbow bolts and long bow arrows; blunt weapons, including knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, clubs, coshes, batons, flails or Nunchaku; sharp pointed weapons, including throwing stars; air, BB, pellet pistols or rifles, stun devices and tasers, any projectile-weapon, including paintball guns, etc.
  • All items containing incapacitating substances, such as gas guns, tear gas sprays, mace, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable
  • All ammunition
  • All explosives, including imitation explosives and devices
  • Fireworks, flares, pyrotechnics
  • Flammable substances and hazardous chemicals (e.g., petrol, methylated spirits, paint thinners)
  • Compressed gas tanks, bottles, cylinders including dive tanks, propane tanks and aerosol cans (Refer to Exemptions)
  • Alcohol (hard liquor) and beer
  • Wine or champagne beyond the allowable limit of one 750 ml bottle per adult (21 years of age or older). Port, Vermouth, Sherry and other fortified wines, over 15% alcohol by volume (ABV), cannot be brought on board even in the allowable limit.
  • Non-alcoholic beverages in containers other than a can or carton; excessive quantities per person (over 12 cans/cartons per person); excessive size per can/carton (over 12 ounces each)
  • Electrical and household appliances containing any kind of heating element, such as irons, clothes steamers, immersion heaters, heating blankets, water heaters, coffee machines, hot plates, toasters, heating pads, humidifier, etc. (All Carnival ships offer valet laundry service for a nominal fee, and most ships (excluding Carnival Firenze, Carnival Luminosa and Carnival Venezia) also provide facilities with ironing boards and irons.)  
  • Knives, scissors and open razors. (Recreational dive knives are allowed but must be held in the custody of the Guest Services Manager or Chief Security Officer and must be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise. Large scissors used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department but are held on board in the same manner as dive knives.)
  • Handcuffs or other restraining devices
  • Self-balancing hover boards and air wheels
  • Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), communication scanners, wideband receivers, satellite phones, transformers, lasers and laser pointers. 
  • Satellite dish, routers and other internet related equipment  
  • Curtains, drapes or hanging room dividers
  • Boom boxes/large radios
  • Candles and incense
  • Helium filled balloons 
  • Inflatable kiddie pool
  • Hookahs
  • Any footwear with wheels, such as, Heely’s type shoes
  • Kava  
  • Surfboards, boats and canoes 
  • Fish of any kind; if fish are caught during an excursion, they must be shipped home

1 hour ago, cynt said:

I'm just curious, what devices besides your phones are you bringing on vacation that you need so many additional outlets? I know some people need a CPAP but what else are you bringing aboard the ship?

electric toothbrush, electric shaver all need to be charged. it would nice if they replace that strange layout in the bathroom with a standard AC plug so you can plug in these devices

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, shof515 said:

electric toothbrush, electric shaver all need to be charged. it would nice if they replace that strange layout in the bathroom with a standard AC plug so you can plug in these devices

Agree with all of the above.  RCCL new over the top policy is simply unacceptable.  It infringes on the experience.  If they truly had a concern (overloading of circuit) then give a reasonable allotment of devices.  TO answer the poster you quoted, allowing a small strip is a base need.  I trvel with cpap, phones and a laptop and ipad for love reviews.  I at times charge earbuds, there may be more.  Their policy is simply unacceptable.  I would not book a cruise with them for this reason.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

From reading this thread it seem as regards to the electrical items many people don't have a clue

I think this is true.

My wife doesn't read FB or CC or the list of forbidden items.  She has me for that. 

Evidentally there are a lot of people who just bring their stuff (irons/steamers/fans/extensioncords/liquor) on a trip and they're not paying close attention to the fine print.  It's not being malicous.  It's being naive and choosing to be uninformed. That's why there are scanners and a "naughty room." 

Of course, some people are sneaky, but I don't think that's the majority. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Agree with all of the above.  RCCL new over the top policy is simply unacceptable.  It infringes on the experience.  If they truly had a concern (overloading of circuit) then give a reasonable allotment of devices.  TO answer the poster you quoted, allowing a small strip is a base need.  I trvel with cpap, phones and a laptop and ipad for love reviews.  I at times charge earbuds, there may be more.  Their policy is simply unacceptable.  I would not book a cruise with them for this reason.

I cruise with something similar to this.  It solves most of my charging needs and it's permitted. The CPAP you would plug in. 

image.thumb.png.9a8e9075bcd9fba4de1066ef7740b697.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, simplelife said:

I just this morning checked Carnival's  FAQ on prohibited items and exceptions and it has not changed, Extesion cords and power strip and multi-plug adapters WITHOUT surge protectors ARE allowed,

Although this thread is in the Carnival section, the change was made by RCL.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2024 at 11:56 AM, chengkp75 said:

Shipboard systems do not use the hull as ground.  This causes galvanic corrosion should there be a ground fault.  Shipboard generators are typically wye connected, and the neutral center point of the wye becomes the ground wire in the distribution system.  This neutral is kept isolated from the hull.  The only connection between the ground wire in the distribution system and the hull is a high resistance ground fault monitor.  The main reason that you have the "floating" ground (not connected to actual "ground" or "earth" through the hull) is because of the galvanic corrosion this would cause.  It also isolates the electrical system from the hull, so that if the ship is struck by lightning (fairly common), the lightning passes through the hull to the sea, and does not interact with the electrical system in any way.  This is the big reason that surge protectors (okay, voltage surge protectors) are not needed, nor used, on shipboard equipment, as lightning presents no possible voltage surge.  I have been on several ships that have been struck by lightning, and we experienced no damage to any electronics onboard.

IME - US Navy ships are delta connected, and the DC (but not AC) subsystems are hull grounded.

As for lightning and surge protectors - 99%+ of surge protectors won't protect against a lightning strike surge, and are intended for power system related surges. If folks think that surge protector power strip is going to do anything against lightning, they are sorely mistaken.

It's there for when there are power company malfunctions or power transitions in other large equipment on the same power line causing overvoltage conditions.

22 minutes ago, aborgman said:

IME - US Navy ships are delta connected, and the DC (but not AC) subsystems are hull grounded.

Yes, I "worked" for the "gray funnel line" in the distant past, but commercial ships are wye connected generators, and commercial ships don't have any DC distribution systems.

23 minutes ago, aborgman said:

It's there for when there are power company malfunctions or power transitions in other large equipment on the same power line causing overvoltage conditions.

Or the power pole transformer blows.  That's a 10k to 220/110v transformer, and on ships you have 10k to 480 transformer, 480 to 220 transformer, and 220 to 110 transformer, so all three would need to short to cause a voltage spike that a surge suppressor would react to.

Yes, there are small voltage swings on ships, since the power demand is so close to the power capacity at times, but they never reach the clamping voltage of most consumer surge protectors.

2 hours ago, shof515 said:

I travel with those but they only need to be charged about once a week. On a seven day cruise I have never had to recharge those. Easily schedule charging time for the toothbrush and shaver on a longer cruise. They don’t take long to recharge. Don’t need an extra outlet for those. They don’t have a standard outlet in the bathroom because of the possibility of shocks. That is the reason.

Edited by Charles4515

32 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Or the power pole transformer blows.  That's a 10k to 220/110v transformer, and on ships you have 10k to 480 transformer, 480 to 220 transformer, and 220 to 110 transformer, so all three would need to short to cause a voltage spike that a surge suppressor would react to.

Yeah - that falls under "power company malfunctions" - blown transformers, fail-over switching, generator overvoltages, arcing grounds, resonance, switching cuasing reflected waves, etc.