One of the most over asked and annoying questions on here... but I'm going to ask it anyway.

RCCL Fan

I have flight issues. 

Letting the kids bring friends with us on the next cruise, big group, so even a small increase in airfare, hits big.

We're sailing back into Miami on Symphony and booked a 12:28pm flight out of FLL, not MIA.

Saved more than $1,300 total flying out of FLL.

A little tight time wise, but doable in my book. 

Except....  I got the dreaded flight change alert.

Airline has changed the 12:28pm flight home to 11:34 am.   

It's a less than 1 hour time change, so they're not being flexible with me on flight changes.

It's also spring break week, flights are tight and prices are insane.

It's either take the 11:34 am or move to a 5:45 pm departure.

I have kids (some not my own)  who I have to get home to head to school the next day,  so the 11:34 am is looking good to me, but I'm worried it might be too much of a gamble and we need to bite the bullet for the late departure.

What what you do?

• Like 1

I hate when they do that. I'd stick with the earlier flight and just get up a little earlier to self-disembark. I haven't flown out of FLL for a Miami cruise but from what everyone else posts on here, it seems like a pretty doable option, just a little further away. 

I've taken those later flights after a cruise and they suck. Too hard to get around with luggage so you're pretty much stuck going to the airport and waiting it out. Can't check your bags til 4 hours before the flight so you're not even able to get into the terminal and are stuck sitting in the "lobby" of the airport. 

• Like 2

I did a 11 am ish flight time came into miami and left from ft Lauderdale. We did uber. Be careful of those SUV uber sitting outside. We didnt see rhe 30% surcharge sign on it and it was quite high maybe $150 -and more with tip. We just jumped into the next one in line not noticing the surcharge sign for a suv size. It was spring break too. Other than more kids didnt affect us but we sure had a lot of kids onboard. We decided never again during spring break but that's besides the point, 

We all did walk off. Carried our own luggage. 

Getting off as early as possible is going to be your best bet.  As Firefly333 says, maybe do walk off with luggage.  If not, inform Guest Services and show them your flight change and they can issues you a lower luggage tag number to get you off the ship asap.  Good luck.

7 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

I have flight issues. 

Letting the kids bring friends with us on the next cruise, big group, so even a small increase in airfare, hits big.

We're sailing back into Miami on Symphony and booked a 12:28pm flight out of FLL, not MIA.

Saved more than $1,300 total flying out of FLL.

A little tight time wise, but doable in my book. 

Except....  I got the dreaded flight change alert.

Airline has changed the 12:28pm flight home to 11:34 am.   

It's a less than 1 hour time change, so they're not being flexible with me on flight changes.

It's also spring break week, flights are tight and prices are insane.

It's either take the 11:34 am or move to a 5:45 pm departure.

I have kids (some not my own)  who I have to get home to head to school the next day,  so the 11:34 am is looking good to me, but I'm worried it might be too much of a gamble and we need to bite the bullet for the late departure.

What what you do?

We had an 11 am flight out of FLl (after docking in MIA)  We were through customs and sitting by the gate by 9am.

Definitely carry your own luggage and do walk off.  Even getting a low tag number is just one more thing that could go wrong (luggage misplaced, put in wrong section etc)

Edited by Ken at the beach
  • Like 1

As everyone else has stated, do the early self disembarkation from the ship and get an Uber or Lyft and you will make it with no problem. FLL is easy to navigate. 

Do not get on one of those group vans or buses at the port promising to get you to FLL for a cheap price. They don’t leave until their vehicle is full. That delay might cost you valuable time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Does everyone in your party have TSA precheck?

This is what I was going to ask. We’ve done this a couple of times, cruise out of Miami, fly into FLL, most recently this July. We cruised with our adult children (22-28y) and their significant others. We had a 12:45p flight out of FLL. We didn’t rush at all, hung out in the WJ, walked off around 9a, grabbed our bags, and divided up and took separate Ubers. This was a 3 night cruise and the birth certificate line was huge! We all have passports or that would have slowed us down.

We also all have TSA pre, so that sped things up at the airport. (We checked our bags at the curb with the sky cap, Southwest.) I can’t remember the exact time we were past security, but I know we walked and found a quiet gate, sat, charged our phones, bought snacks, for almost an hour, so plenty of time.  

From your previous reports, I remember you typically pre-arrange transportation, so that will be a time saver. I think if you self disembark, the guests have passports and TSA pre-check, you will be fine. Although, I imagine the TSA pre-check (for others) will be the issue. 

So fun for your daughters! Have a great trip!

• Like 3

Thanks everyone. 

Yes, we always pre-arrange a suburban to drive us to the airport, so that will be no issue.

We've never walked off our bags, as I'm not an early riser, I tip and warm my cabin steward ahead of time lol 

But we'll give that a whirl and try self carry. 

My wife and I have pre-check and the kids are always allowed since they're our kids, but since we'll be flying with kids who aren't ours,  we may not be able to use it.  We'll see.

I'll stick with the 11:34am departure   and add a little excitement to the morning lol    

Thanks for the advice!

• Like 5

For the kids that aren't yours or used to traveling, make sure they take a suitcase they can handle walking off the ship.  Please let the parents know you will departing the ship early and to plan accordingly.  

• Like 1