Garment steamer

Mkripke

In general any item that generates heat is considered a fire hazard and would not be permitted.  Clothes steamers are specifically identified as prohibited items by most cruise lines.  I am not aware of any particular brands that would be permitted as they typically all would use an internal heating element to produces the steam.  To confirm you would have to check with the particular cruise line of interest but I would expect the answers to be the same.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mkripke said:

Hello

Are there any brands that are allowed on a cruise ship?

Thank you

The following items (this is not an exhaustive list) will not be permitted on board:

• Any illegal narcotics/drugs including synthetic and designer drugs
  • Medical marijuana (including CBD oil)
  • All firearms including replicas, imitations and their components
  • Air, BB or pellet pistols or rifles
  • Any other projectile-weapon (e.g., paint ball guns)
  • All ammunition
  • All explosives, including imitation explosives and devices
  • Electric steamers

1 hour ago, Mkripke said:

What about rechargeable or battery powered?

Call the cruise line you are interested in and confirm with them. That would provide the best answer.  But regardless of how it is powered if it has a heating element that creates steam it likely won't be allowed. 

The guidelines on prohibited items typically just say "clothes irons or steamers", or something to that effect.  Lists of prohibited items are typically published under the FAQ's of most cruise lines if you google it or go to their web sites.  Or as suggest, just call and ask.

On 9/30/2024 at 9:06 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

In general any item that generates heat is considered a fire hazard and would not be permitted.  Clothes steamers are specifically identified as prohibited items by most cruise lines.  I am not aware of any particular brands that would be permitted as they typically all would use an internal heating element to produces the steam.  To confirm you would have to check with the particular cruise line of interest but I would expect the answers to be the same.

Clothes steamers are prohibited because they take away revenues from clothes pressing.  Hair dryers, curling irons and flat irons generally draw more power and generate more heat but no cruise line would like to tell women they can’t bring them. 

1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

Clothes steamers are prohibited because they take away revenues from clothes pressing.  Hair dryers, curling irons and flat irons generally draw more power and generate more heat but no cruise line would like to tell women they can’t bring them. 

Your argument, flawed or not, is not with me.  It's with the cruise lines.  But feel free to interpret their rules anyway you want to satisfy your actions.  I am only presenting them as they are stated.

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Your argument, flawed or not, is not with me.  It's with the cruise lines.  But feel free to interpret their rules anyway you want to satisfy your actions.  I am only presenting them as they are stated.

It is a fact as you say that the cruise lines confiscate steamers if detected as my friend found out on Harmony of the Seas. It wasn't even the type that is sort of like an iron as it only had an steam nozzle. There is no interpretation to the rule that they are prohibited. 

6 hours ago, Airbear232 said:

Oh, please. Try again. Explain how cruise lines with guest laundry facilities still ban steamers. Go ahead. We're  waiting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Oh, please. Try again. Explain how cruise lines with guest laundry facilities still ban steamers. Go ahead. We're  waiting.

Wow, you’re feisty.  Realistically, how many people can prep their clothes before dinner on Princess?  Go ahead, how many of the 4000+ passengers on Sun Princess could press their own clothes?  I don’t have to wait for your answer as the answer is not many.  

4 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Wow, you’re feisty.  Realistically, how many people can prep their clothes before dinner on Princess?  Go ahead, how many of the 4000+ passengers on Sun Princess could press their own clothes?  I don’t have to wait for your answer as the answer is not many.  

I always ironed my shirts during the day before dinner on formal nights on Princess in the self service laundry room. These days though I only wear clothes that don’t need ironing. I doubt the 4000 passengers send their clothes out. But many probably would rather do that than use the self service irons or use their own iron or steamer. The self service irons by the way have a timer on them…..for safety. You probably think you would never leave an iron or steamer on and maybe you would not the cruise line can’t assume that everyone will be like you.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Certainly supports the argument that they are banned based on a financial incentive - right?? Silly safety and fire hazard concerns aside, banning steamers must translate to a huge profit center for them......

What a wasted debate.  They are prohibited, just accept that.

2 hours ago, mom says said:

35 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

Come on folks.  No need to get all steamed up about this.  

(I laugh at my own jokes)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Airbear232 said:

Realistically, how many people can prep their clothes before dinner on Princess?  Go ahead, how many of the 4000+ passengers on Sun Princess could press their own clothes?  I don’t have to wait for your answer as the answer is not many.  

Not many is probably accurate. Since the majority of cruisers are savvy enough with their clothing choices that they don't need to press an outfit every day, if at all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Certainly supports the argument that they are banned based on a financial incentive - right?? Silly safety and fire hazard concerns aside, banning steamers must translate to a huge profit center for them......

What a wasted debate.  They are prohibited, just accept that.

Neither does it support the idea that they’re a fire hazard.  I’ve always accepted that they are prohibited.  Granted revenue from pressing is probably now minimal, but at one time, it was considerably more.  

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Except when you would sneak your Rowenta mini steamer on board.  Accepted, but ignored.

I'm done.

Unfortunately, it broke a few years ago.  Still hope they reissue it.  Best steamer by far for traveling.  Glad you’re done.  Bye.