NCL deal with the NHL...Stock price soars

Posted (edited)

I can't believe there is no discussion of NCL's deal with the NHL. Maybe they'll replace go-karts with skating rinks.

As a result, the stock shot up $2.27 today to a closing price of $23.07.

Makes my purchase of 100 shares at $12.89 (mostly for the OBC perk) look better all the time...especially since I didn't do it with the intention of making money,

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

curiously, the announcement that the NHL is now the official cruise line of NCL never mentioned "hash browns." but i have a strong feeling this means that "hockey pucks" will soon return.

oh, happy day. 

• Haha 18

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

curiously, the announcement that the NHL is now the official cruise line of NCL never mentioned "hash browns." but i have a strong feeling this means that "hockey pucks" will soon return.

oh, happy day. 

Best news ever! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

I can't believe there is no discussion of NCL's deal with the NHL. Maybe they'll replace go-karts with skating rinks.

As a result, the stock shot up $2.27 today to a closing price of $23.07.

Makes my purchase of 100 shares at $12.89 (mostly for the OBC perk) look better all the time...especially since I didn't do it with the intention of making money,

I'm not sure what NHL"s deal with NCL is, but I'm watching the NY Rangers game tonight and noticed a lot of NCL virtual ads on the boards. 

1 hour ago, coin ops said:

I'm not sure what NHL"s deal with NCL is, but I'm watching the NY Rangers game tonight and noticed a lot of NCL virtual ads on the boards. 

Marketing deal, NCL is spending $ to sponser NHL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coin ops said:

I'm not sure what NHL"s deal with NCL is...

it's in post #3.

NCL is now the official cruise line of the NHL.

i didn't know a hockey league needed an official cruise line. but there it is. in addition to the financial support, i expect a lot of in-kind advertising and barter exchanges and promotional opportunities including sweepstakes and contests. i wouldn't be surprised if sixthman soon announced hockey-themed  cruises with NHL player appearances. and i imagine that this now means that all the players will be required to sail on NCL to and from their home and away games instead of flying or traveling by bus. and that could considerably elongate the season.

Edited by UKstages

28 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The ice rink on the sports court on the Epic was a failure and was eventually discontinued. 🤪

Yeah but did they play hockey on it? How about curling on a cruise? Now that would be cool!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Was it really the NHL deal that caused this? Carnival stock went above $20 for the first time in a long time and they are not the official cruise line of the NHL.

Barron's had an article yesterday by Emily Dattilo saying that NCL was abandoning its "quality at all costs" to more of a balanced yield / cost relationship with customers.  The article is now behind a paywall:

Norwegian Cruise Stock Is Leading the S&P 500 Today. Here’s Why. - Barron's (barrons.com)

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Was it really the NHL deal that caused this? Carnival stock went above $20 for the first time in a long time and they are not the official cruise line of the NHL.

Probably not. A Citi analyst upgraded NCL.

• Like 4

Yeah....I literally got my money's worth in OBC when I had shares at $11.  Sold at $16.  Now it's $22.  Should have held on to it.

Good to see it's still a good buy.  

Hockey isn't my "thing".  But, it's a major sport, so this is a good thing for NCL.  I know they've had some sponsorships by soccer leagues in the past, too.  Those were very apparent when I sailed on the Epic last year.

Now, if they found a way to get MLB and/or NFL sponsorship, I would definitely get excited about that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buford T Justiice said:

Barron's had an article yesterday by Emily Dattilo saying that NCL was abandoning its "quality at all costs" to more of a balanced yield / cost relationship with customers.  The article is now behind a paywall:

1 hour ago, ngrund said:

Norwegian Cruise Stock Is Leading the S&P 500 Today. Here’s Why. - Barron's (barrons.com)

Was there any similar analysis of Carnival Corporations stock as that stock also reached a recent high mark?

1 hour ago, Buford T Justiice said:

Non-paywall article (though the Barron's article is also accessible to me):

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/why-royal-caribbean-and-norwegian-cruise-stocks-are-sailing-higher-today/ar-AA1rYAHt

1 hour ago, ngrund said:

pretty sure OP was joshing around and doesn't really believe the NHL had such an impact on NCL's stock price....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

pretty sure OP was joshing around and doesn't really believe the NHL had such an impact on NCL's stock price....

Actually, I wasn't joshing. But whatever caused the uptick, I'm all for it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Citi analyst ... yeah, enough.  Great for short selling and day traders.  Would Goldman Sachs & other big names follow ?? and raise the target price, $30 is the call / 1 year target price.   We hold ours in the portfolios & long, brought them decades ago in the low $30's - been a wild ride ever since. 

Our friends currently onboard the GA doing another TA ... riding out, safely, the storms (ship at 75% capacity only, per a senior officer) brought their shares when it was coming back up - around $9 a share and they made a fortune since with OBC.  

2 hours ago, Buford T Justiice said:

NCL was abandoning its "quality at all costs"

This should read:  NCL has abandoned its “quality at all costs”.  

TBS, we have enjoyed the OBC SH perk and hope to continue to do so more often!

• Haha 2