Tips for children

rutgers

On 10/10/2024 at 12:30 PM, jwlane said:

Stop reading after post #2.

True... but that's no fun. As a wise person said:

"Everything that needs to be said has been said, but not everyone has had the chance to say it.

I think that it is common to answer a question without reading prior responses, especially for those pressed for time. All with good intent and being helpful. Very true of much on CC and just the way it is. 

Edited by billc23
  • Haha 1

The OP has already been answered ... I just want to say that my two kids started cruising at the age of 3/4.  Their first cruise was Carnival (they hated it) followed by HAL (they loved it).  We now mostly alternate between X and RCCL ... I hope your kids love their first cruise and grow up to be avid cruisers like mine did.

The waitstaff and room attendants are smart and go out of their way to spoil kids.  Most of them miss their own kids at home.  

Anyone can go to guest services and have the automatic gratuities removed and tip those that directly serve them in cash. Or if concerned with "behind the scenes" workers (which I am not, don't call it a gratuity then) you can just adjust your automatic gratuities to the amount that YOU feel is appropriate for the week as well. If you call it a gratuity, then I will decide who and how much. But there are options if you feel it's not working for you. 

(I feel how I feel) This is fact on options available. I will not debate the should and shouldn't. I tell nobody how to spend their money, please do for me the same. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

Anyone can go to guest services and have the automatic gratuities removed and tip those that directly serve them in cash. Or if concerned with "behind the scenes" workers (which I am not, don't call it a gratuity then) you can just adjust your automatic gratuities to the amount that YOU feel is appropriate for the week as well. If you call it a gratuity, then I will decide who and how much. But there are options if you feel it's not working for you. 

(I feel how I feel) This is fact on options available. I will not debate the should and shouldn't. I tell nobody how to spend their money, please do for me the same. 

No I can't tell you how to feel or how to spend your money.  But I can say this.  When one chooses to partake in an activity like a cruise, one had a choice to do so or not.  If one decides to do so, they are morally obligated, in my opinion, to follow the protocol for that activity.  The way the system is built, the staff relies very much on that tip money as part of their salary (which is already minimal, even including the tips).  To cheat them out of it, knowing that was the way the system was set up and agreeing to partake anyway, is reprehensible.  One can choose to agree with the system or not, but it is the system one is agreeing to when booking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

No I can't tell you how to feel or how to spend your money.  But I can say this.  When one chooses to partake in an activity like a cruise, one had a choice to do so or not.  If one decides to do so, they are morally obligated, in my opinion, to follow the protocol for that activity.  The way the system is built, the staff relies very much on that tip money as part of their salary (which is already minimal, even including the tips).  To cheat them out of it, knowing that was the way the system was set up and agreeing to partake anyway, is reprehensible.  One can choose to agree with the system or not, but it is the system one is agreeing to when booking.

Begs the question as to why the cruise lines just don’t increase the base cruise price or perhaps call it a service charge vs. an elective gratuity and in either case there would be no decrease adjustment allowed via guest services (this is basically how the automatic tips for bar service are baked in, no haggling or set your own decreased tip).  Reserve the concept of elective tip/gratuity for out of pocket cash to those the passenger chooses to award. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DennysDad said:

If you call it a gratuity, then I will decide who and how much.

Which is why, in my opinion, the cruise lines need to rename the 'daily gratuity' to something more in line with land resorts, ie. Resort Fee or Daily Service Charge.  Try getting the resort fee at a land resort removed...unless it's something completely egregious based on their discretion, the fee stands.

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Which is why, in my opinion, the cruise lines need to rename the 'daily gratuity' to something more in line with land resorts, ie. Resort Fee or Daily Service Charge.  Try getting the resort fee at a land resort removed...unless it's something completely egregious based on their discretion, the fee stands.

I 100% agree with this change being a wise one to make.  It would 1) resolve a lot of frustration and irritation from passengers - then passed on to crew - and 2) would open the door for regular "tipping" to return (for the Americans in the "tipping culture").

Looking at NCL, they call it a "service charge" and - relevant to the OP - the charges are for guests 3 years and older - not all guests.

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

...and by "complimentary", I think they mean "complementary" 🙂. Or, maybe we all need a staff member telling us how cool we are or how great we look! 

Edited by Tom and Ingrid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't even understand the concept as to why anyone would think kids don't need to pay the gratuity. They get served in the dining room by the staff, they use towels, sheets, beds and the toilet in the room (anyone with boys knows what I'm implying) and they even use the children's clubs where they are taken care of while the adults enjoy time on their own. 

1 hour ago, SEC Man said:

Begs the question as to why the cruise lines just don’t increase the base cruise price or perhaps call it a service charge vs. an elective gratuity and in either case there would be no decrease adjustment allowed via guest services (this is basically how the automatic tips for bar service are baked in, no haggling or set your own decreased tip).  Reserve the concept of elective tip/gratuity for out of pocket cash to those the passenger chooses to award. 

I completely agree with you.  I wish they would change it to be like that.  Having cruised Celebrity a zillion times (ok 81 if I have to get technical), and getting to know so many wonderful staff and knowing how hard they work, it drives me up the wall to hear people even consider not tipping, or not tipping as much as suggested.  I understand not liking the protocol as I don't either, but to take it out on the staff is just horrible.

1 hour ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Looking at NCL, they call it a "service charge" and - relevant to the OP - the charges are for guests 3 years and older - not all guests.

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

...and by "complimentary", I think they mean "complementary" 🙂. Or, maybe we all need a staff member telling us how cool we are or how great we look! 

No, they mean "complimentary" as in free. 

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

One chooses to spend ones money in any way one feels. If one doesn't like it, then it's all the more sweeter.

Oh, and one does not have to agree with the system when one books. That's why the system allows one to opt out and tip who and how one likes, with ones own money. LOL.

5 hours ago, DennysDad said:

Not responding.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

However, as long as the cruise line allows me to remove the automatic gratuities and pay cash directly to whoever I please, I will choose to do so. Remember, I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head at guest services. It's an available option, by Celebrity, not me. 

If they make it a mandatory resort type fee, I will pay that way. But my individual cash tips will change considerably. I don't believe for one second all my automatic gratuities go to crew. I've been told cruise lines take 10% for processing the money and dividing it up. I will not willingly take part in that scam. Not when I have the option of cash in hand. Nobody's postings on here will change how I view this system. Never does it fail to amuse me how many try to post shame. I tip plenty, just how I choose. That's tipping in America.

4 minutes ago, DennysDad said:

However, as long as the cruise line allows me to remove the automatic gratuities and pay cash directly to whoever I please, I will choose to do so. Remember, I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head at guest services. It's an available option, by Celebrity, not me. 

If they make it a mandatory resort type fee, I will pay that way. But my individual cash tips will change considerably. I don't believe for one second all my automatic gratuities go to crew. I've been told cruise lines take 10% for processing the money and dividing it up. I will not willingly take part in that scam. Not when I have the option of cash in hand. Nobody's postings on here will change how I view this system. Never does it fail to amuse me how many try to post shame. I tip plenty, just how I choose. That's tipping in America.

I have seen enough crew videos on you tube to relize your thoughts on where the daily grats go or don’t go is wrong..a lot of the reasons for not including them in the cruise fair is tax related, and benefits the crew. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have seen enough crew videos on you tube to relize your thoughts on where the daily grats go or don’t go is wrong..a lot of the reasons for not including them in the cruise fair is tax related, and benefits the crew. 

Tipping cash can be tax free when not all is reported. Many folks love cash in hand. Never been turned down. LOL.

But I get what you are saying. And clearly its a factor in the current system status quo.

2 hours ago, DennysDad said:

Nobody's postings on here will change how I view this system. Never does it fail to amuse me how many try to post shame. I tip plenty, just how I choose. That's tipping in America.

I honestly don’t care what you do one way or the other. Though you may be amused, I was in no way shaming your position. I’m merely giving an opinion, like you have, that the cruise lines set themselves up for removal of gratuities, for whatever reason, by calling it a gratuity which implies that it’s optional. If they don’t want this to happen, they could get around it by calling it something else. You obviously feel very strongly about your position and I think you failed to understand my point. Again, you do you!  Peace. 🐈‍⬛🥂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DennysDad said:

Tipping cash can be tax free when not all is reported. Many folks love cash in hand. Never been turned down. LOL.

But I get what you are saying. And clearly its a factor in the current system status quo.

I always tip extra in cash..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I honestly don’t care what you do one way or the other. Though you may be amused, I was in no way shaming your position. I’m merely giving an opinion, like you have, that the cruise lines set themselves up for removal of gratuities, for whatever reason, by calling it a gratuity which implies that it’s optional. If they don’t want this to happen, they could get around it by calling it something else. You obviously feel very strongly about your position and I think you failed to understand my point. Again, you do you!  Peace. 🐈‍⬛🥂

No worries. Take care.