LIVE From 6/4 Freedom of the Seas - Add your thoughts here & WIN PRIZES

Friday afternoon, June 9, 2006

Here are more impressions, opinions, and experiences….again, these are just ours and may vary from those of others.

So far the shows have been fabulous. The first production show was gret. The ice show phenomenal. The second production show is this evening. We missed the headline entertainer last night but I understand it was fabulous.

Yesterday at the pier in Mo Bay, Shaggy performed. We weren’t back from golf yet but apparently everyone that was here really enjoyed it.

The pax count for this voyage is 3652. We had heard they were holding it at “Voyager class capacity” this week and then adding 50 to 100 pax each week until maxing out at full Freedom max capacity. So far that appears to be the case. There have been a few instances when you had to wait a little longer on elevators but it really has not been too bad.

The Love & Marriage show was great as usual. We did not attend Quest but understand it was the normal wild and crazy fun event.

The craps table has proved to be the second ice rink on this ship this week. LOL

Today was Labadee. This was only our second time to Labadee. We were last here 16 years ago and boy has it changed. Very nice. Lunch is served at three different locations. It was very good. The Labadoozie (drink of the day) was very good also. The Windjammer was closed for lunch because of lunch being served on the island. However, acoording to the compass the dining room, JR, Sorrentos, Café Promenade, etc. were open for food service. While waiting to board the tender back to ship we were given wet towels to wipe down with and small complimentary bottles of water with Freedom OTS labels. Don’t know if this is a normal Labadee thing or a special FOS thing.

The Gala Buffet is tonight. As usual it is open for viewing and then later opens for “dining”. However, something new to us…..it is being held in Windjammer area as opposed to the main dining room. Don’t know how that will work. We have not checked out the Gala buffet in years so probably will not check it out tonight either….but who knows. Just thought it interesting that it is in WJ.

The golf simulator is not working. We went up for the Long Drive Competition yesterday and they were not able to have it because the software was malfunctioning. While we think the sim is a great concept we have yet to see one work properly on the RC ships so really think it is a waste of space. Wish that weren’t the case. Wish they would work properly!

Someone else has probably already covered this, but Terfer and Barnisdad represented our Pink Boa Society well on Monday in the Sexy Legs contest. Barnisdad stripped down to a pink “speedo” with “Property of P.B.S.” labeled on the behind. He also had a pink boa “stuffed” in the outer trunks which one of the judges then “pulled out”. Terfer represented us as a judge (wearing a pink boa of course).

We miss not having the horseraces as an event. We always enjoyed those.

The egg/omelet station in WJ needs a little work. Instead of having a choice of ingredients, you have a choice of combinations to choose from. You order and are given a number to wait in line with. However, even though there were only 2 people in line ahead of me it took over 5 minutes and they still had not started any of our orders. The reason was that the “omelet/egg maker” was busy making omelets to go out on the buffet. I think the “line omelets” should be made in the kitchen or at least by someone different than the person doing “custom orders”.

There are Wifi packages available but we didn’t write down exactly what they were. It is something like 52 minutes for $25, 89 minutes for $35 and a larger amount of minutes (maybe 151?) for $50. (41 cents per minutes, 39 cents per minute, and 33 cents per minute or so). We only bought a small package since Mr. Ski’s cell phone and blackberry are basically working at all times both in port and at sea. He has international roaming and international calling and “blackberry” service through cingular. I think it is $1.99 or $2.99 per minute. Guess his office will get a large bill when we get home. LOL

Again, the food quality has been excellent. Some of the dinner menus have a varied selection but not necessarily what we would like to see as far as choices. However, the quality of everything we have had has been very good. I would much rather have better quality food with more limited selections than a better variety with poor quality!

We did dinner in WJ last night for the first time ever. We had dressed for formal night but about 15 minutes before dinner the craps table actually had a “hot streak”. It last for about 30 minutes so that would have put us about 15 minutes late for dinner. We are firm believers in showing up on-time (within 5 minutes or so) in the dining room. Since we felt that would be too late and didn’t want to throw off the servers or our tablemates we decided to do something else. We thought about seeing if Chops or Portofinos happened to have any openings but since Mr. Ski really wanted the strawberry bisque we decided to do WJ. (He always looks forward to the strawberry bisque. It is his favorite soup.) It was very nice. We got there just before they pulled it at 9:00 pm. It was very quiet with just a few folks (and a few kids). Service was fabulous. Of course we looked a little odd dressed in our formal attire dining in WJ….but what the heck! It was a new experience for us and turned out very well. (Went back to the craps table though and it had turned back in to the ice rink. LOL)

Well, we are about to pull out from Labadee in about 30 minutes or so and head back to Miami. Tomorrow is our last day (boohoo! LOL) but should be a great day since it is a seaday. (Except for the packing part!)

Maybe we’ll win bingo or something! LOL

Nothing “special” about it being the “inaugural”, “maiden”, or

“first revenue” sailing (yet…maybe something is yet to come). We did receive nice (small) lunch kits that say “FOS Inaugural SEASON”. I don’t know if that is for everyone onboard or just C&A members. (Yes, there are a few first timers onboard so not everyone is a C&A member.) So since it says “season” I am guessing all cruisers will get them (for a while….until they run out). As I said, I don’t know if these were given to everyone or just C&A members….but we have not received any “C&A gifts” otherwise….so who knows!

We did have the repeaters parties (one before each seating). We have not had a platinum/diamond/diamond plus party/brunch, etc. like you normally get. I am guessing it is because there are so many repeat pax. (approx 1600 repeat pax, 400 diamonds, 68 d+)

It is a great ship, a great cruise, great CC friends and no “complaints” so far. Just some observations of some things we have “missed” and wished they did have as “usual”. So glad we are here since can now say we have done a “maiden”, “inaugural”, “first revenue” sailing. Wouldn’t trade this week for anything!

Just more of our thoughts….and again…just our thoughts and I’m sure there are plenty of folks with other thoughts that vary from ours!

CORRECTION: There is a Platinum /Diamond reception this evening at 7:45 pm in Studio B. Somehow our invitation did not make it to us. Fortunately, we found out about it just a few minutes ago so now we are trying to rush to get ready to get there. Just wanted to take a second to make the correction here! Did not want to give out any incorrect info!

Just watched the circus parade. It was very neat. However, it was very, very crowded. I am NOT a claustrophic person but I was getting pushed from front and back so was uncomfortable. But it doesn't last long. Just a hint to maybe get there extra early!

I have a question about Freedom, I know that one thing they were stressing was the dancing under the stars thing. Where they convert the pool area into sort of a outdoor night club. Can anyone give any insight into this? Also about the Sports Pool, did anyone see the Jousting and the other events they hold there and if so how was it? Thanks in advance.

The dancing under the stars is tonight, we will see how it it.

After 4 exhausting port days, I finally have some time to post. I LOVE this ship! We are all having a great time. When you finally get to come on, you will be impressed. My husband is hooked on the flow rider. I scraped myself up in Dunnes falls, so did not try it yet, maybe tomorrow. But I do know I will HAVE to come on this ship again! I am sad this week is almost over, it flew by.

WOW! Thank you all soo sooo much for your reviews! I will definitely take advantage of that in port Spa special if they have it on the C&A Member cruise! That's a great deal!!! Well, I'm starting to feel sad for you guys since your cruise is almost over and I know exactly how you are feeling! Hope you've all had the best cruise ever!!!!!!!!

Yes Peg.. you are missing a wonderful cruise.. ...

Emmy :p

Hey Emmy,

I knew it would be wonderful. I am enjoying it from here. I'll get there in January and I'll be able to "relive" at all again. (for real for me :>). Thanks for the updates.

Peggy

Wow, I'm so excited, have my bags packed!!! Check with American Airlines and they have AAdvantage baggage check on the Freedom so don't have to worry about getting luggage to airport when we're done. Probably will check Miami out a bit before our 4:00 p.m. flight home. I'll be looking for the pink boa ladies when we're getting on.

We too are going American Airlines. What is this about "AAdvantage baggage" and what do I need to do to get this?

Thanks

First of all thanks to all of you for taking the time to post for all of us, we really enjoy your remarks.

Now, Skiiergirl, no horse racing-wow I'll miss that.

Imjp, Labadee is why my dh wanted to book this trip and you made it sound like they've improved it alot more. It sounds lots bigger and has a few more activities for the guests. The three eating areas are a bit odd where did they locate so many areas. Thanks for the info.

Emmy Can you tell us more about the Canopy Tour in Mo Bay? It sounds really cool, what is the price.

Again thanks to all for your posts it was great to hear from all of you.

Sharon

We too are going American Airlines. What is this about "AAdvantage baggage" and what do I need to do to get this?

Thanks

I called American Airlines and they told me about AAdvantage baggage check. I guess they have a place on the ship where you can check your luggage after the cruise and it will be taken directly to airport. There is a $10.00 a person charge, but hey our flight doesn't leave until 4:00 so I thought this would give us an opportunity to explore Miami a little. I believe if you go to www.aa.com and type in aadvantage baggage, it'll come up and show more info. I did call RCCL and they did say they offered this service on the Freedom.

I called American Airlines and they told me about AAdvantage baggage check. I guess they have a place on the ship where you can check your luggage after the cruise and it will be taken directly to airport. There is a $10.00 a person charge, but hey our flight doesn't leave until 4:00 so I thought this would give us an opportunity to explore Miami a little. I believe if you go to www.aa.com and type in aadvantage baggage, it'll come up and show more info. I did call RCCL and they did say they offered this service on the Freedom.

Oops, that was wrong do a search on Aadvance Bag Check on www.aa.com Hope this helps

Hi everyone, hope you are getting all the updates you can handle. As you know by now we were in Labadee today - the weather was just PERFECT!! We headed in a little late, went down after roomservice got there to get a tender ticked, we got ticked #10, after I had a little breakfast and showered they had already called our tender number, so we went right down and got on the tender. Seemed to be a little slower then the other days, I wish they would have had tenders in the front and back of the ship but they were just loading from the back (oops, aft). Anyway, got on shore and found a place to sit, didn't stay there too long because it had been a couple hours since we ate, so off for food. Not a great slection here, had my first RCCL Hamberger - guess I know why it was my first and last, LOL - oh well, had some cookies too and then I was off to find something to do -- go find the "Toys!!" On my way to the "Toys" (jet skis, water park, parasailing, etc.) I saw a few hammacks along the way and one was not being used, I have never been in one before so I wanted to try it out - well, a hour and a half later, I finally got up. It was so comfortable and relaxing just laying there in the shade looking at the water (in between naps) not doing anything. Well, needless to say I never made it to the toys. My sister (IMJP) was heading back to the ship for her Spa appt and I was going to go find the toys, but decided to head back to the ship and sit by the pool for a while. Pool was great, not too many people left on the ship, so if you want a nice relaxing day stay on the ship - or go find a hammack and relax there.

Shows are great, just saw the "Marquee Production Show" with the RCCL singers and dancers and it was GREAT!!! I do recommend seeing it, you will love it.

Everyone who is on their way to the ship in the future will LOVE it.

Sorry I havn't posted much lately, but I know others are keeping you updated!!! Enjoy your weekend!!

thanks everyone for posting while on the Freedom - it's so great to hear how much you are enjoying it.

Can anyone tell me about the 'lazy river' I didn't know that the Freedom had one - can anyone please clarify - thanks

Also desperate to know if the stabilisers were working - did anyone hear of much sea sickness on board - thanks:o

Oops, that was wrong do a search on Aadvance Bag Check on www.aa.com Hope this helps

THANKS! I was not aware of this so I looked it up. Here is what the website says. Thanks for sharing this info!

---------

c.gifIntroducing AAdvance Bag Check Service

Now you can drop off bags and check in for flights on board cruise ships, at hotels and convention centers. Participating Cruise Lines

- Royal Caribbean International

- Celebrity Cruises

- Norwegian Cruise Line

- Holland America Line Imagine being able to check your luggage for your American Airlines flight before you get to the airport. And as an added convenience, get your boarding pass at the same time. Our new AAdvance Bag CheckSM program allows non-airport, remote check-in from select cruise lines, convention centers and hotels...with more locations being added. AAdvance Bag Check service is fast and secure. Here's how it works...

For as little as $10 per person, homebound cruise passengers can drop off their luggage and check in for American Airlines flights at the AAdvance Bag Check station on board the ship. After the ship docks, bags are transported directly to the departure airport. Passengers can relax on the last day of their voyage without having to deal with their luggage until they land at their final destination.

Similarly, convention and trade show guests can go to AAdvance Bag Check locations at many convention centers and hotels to check bags and get boarding passes for their American Airlines flights. Like the service provided on cruise ships, luggage is transported directly from the convention center or hotel to the airport to be boarded on the flight.

AAdvance Bag Check is currently available at over 30 locations. More are being added, so be sure to review this list of available locations before your next trip.

What is the cost to rent the jet skis/wave runners in Labadee? How many do they offer for use? How has the movement been on the ship this week? I have heard a lot of discussion about that over the last two weeks.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to share your trip with us. We anxiously look forward to any and all information about Freedom. When I cruised on Voyager, we tendered to some ports but didn't have to get tickets. How does this work? Enjoy the rest of your cruise and have a safe trip home. Wanda

Good morning from the beautiful Freedom OTS! It is a beautiful sunny day with a few clouds out. It is our last day onboard with lots and lots of activities! Don't think I'm going to get enough pool time. LOL! Will somebody come pack for us so I can "play" longer? LOL

What a great surprise last evening! We received a picture of the ship in Southhampton with the fireworks in the background. It was presented in a very nice portfolio along with a "Certificate of Commemoration". It has an "Official Freedom OTS Seal" (gold foil). It states "This certificate recognizes you for being one of the first guests to sail on Freedom of the Seas June 4, 2006. Thank you for joining RCI on the maiden voyage of the newest, largest, and most innovative ship in the world." Then it has been "signed" by Richard Fain, Adam Goldstein, and Capt. Wright.

For those that had been disappointed that we hadn't been "given" anything to acknowledge the inaugural or had any "special events", this certainly should help along those lines.

Ken Rush made the comment last night that typically RC doesn't do anything special or give any special gifts for inaugurals but they decided this one was special and to give out this gift.

Well....have to "get out there". Have pool lounging to do, pool games to watch, bingo to win, appointments, flowrider spectating, Capt's Corner chat, etc. etc. to do before coming back to the room to pack.

Everyone have a great day!

What is the cost to rent the jet skis/wave runners in Labadee? How many do they offer for use? How has the movement been on the ship this week? I have heard a lot of discussion about that over the last two weeks.

They are about $89 for a driver and $29 for a passenger but it is a group excursion and you don't get to go off on your own. It's follow the leader jet skiing. You can look it up on Royal Caribbeans Before you Board section.

BonVoyage

Dawna

simply exhausted keeping up with this cruise...even from my arm chair..the PBS has set a mark for CC'ers...I can't imagine what someone will come up with next..lol..but I'm sure they will..

Emmy~

Now I thought you loved the horseback ride on Stone Island? Maybe it was the huge platter of Gulf shrimp after the ride that made me think that way..lol...the zip line sounds fun..Sheryl and I will defintely have to try that out on our jan 2007 cruise. I will be looking for the "WE CRUISED WITH EMMY" t-shirts on the RCCL home page store:D

Sheryl and I saw Andrea Bocelli last night..he was incredible..not exactly a Tuscany setting at Sacramento's Arco Arena..but it was Bocelli..can you believe they actually were selling hot dogs and chili cheese fries:eek: Kathleen McPhee, American Idol second place gal sang two songs with him. Let's just say noone could sound good next to him.

Looking forward to lots of memorable pictures and your infamous review~

Have not been on these boards in a very long time, as we just got back from our "landlubber" trip to Maui.

I am booked on a future cruise in cabin #1260. After booking I searched the location, always interested in what is located above our heads on the upper deck. Imagine my surprise to find that we are located directly below the new whirlpool. Yikes!! Is this a good thing or bad?

I can't make out from the pics of the ship what that wierd off color thing is on the lower balcony railing.

Could not get any info from calling RCCL, as they were all clueless as to what differences this cabin will have from the others.

Should I move?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers!

Archived