All Things Mariner Of The Seas

GKid8 wrote: No, I haven't tried the rock wall!~

Then you have a great opportunity to have fun ahead of you! My suggestion to you, your husband, and everyone else is to go to the climbing wall the first day and take a look at it. Find out when it will be opened up and then get there early. I'd like to point out a few things:

There are many climbs on the wall ranging from easy to difficult. The easy climbs are as easy as climbing a ladder. If you can climb a ladder you can do the easy routes.

Climbing is not necessarily about arm strength, I think that leg strength is more important. When you get better finger strength is the most important.

It's not that scary, when you are climbing you are looking straight ahead and up, you will not have a sensation that you are up high any more than when you climb a flight of stairs at home.

It's not dangerous, you are protected by a rope the whole time. I'd say that compared to taking a shower, walking around the pool, and eating at Johnny Rocket's, it's very, very safe. Except for minor cuts and scrapes, once you get on the wall I don't see how you could hurt yourself.

Renato (pronounced Hen'-at-o), from Brasil, will get you set up, explain things to you, and watch out for you. I've seen him with kids, beginners, and experts and he's great with all of them.

So, get out there the first day, do the easy climb, then if it was too easy, do the next hardest. Keep doing harder climbs until you find one that you can almost do. Then, every day keep trying until you can climb it and move on to the next hardest.

I was surprised how far I progressed during my cruise and the climbing wall is one of the biggest reasons that I will choose Royal Caribbean for my next cruise.

Have fun!

Roger

Did it! I did the rock wall! Renato was my guide the first time up which was day 1 about 6pm, so shortly after setting sail. I was so excited to have made it up! Renato was the best!!! Except he kept calling out instructions to someone named "Ma'am". :rolleyes:

Couldn't make any of the more difficult climbs although I tried. Oh well. I'm old and happy that I made one. Other than the awesome feeling of conquering the wall, the best part was the last day when I encouraged a stranger enough that he climbed. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself that I didn't complete my climb that day when he came up with a HUGE grin and thanked me for talking him into climbing. I ended my pity party right then and there. I don't know who he was, but he was with Bill and Uncle Billy's party I think, so if you know who I'm talking about tell him he helped me out as much as I helped him. And tell him "WOO HOOOO!"

I never ran on the track. Day 1 was way too cold and windy. (60+ mph...). So 5 days on a tread mill. At least my pace consistancy has improved! And the views were beautiful out of the front, so it really wasn't bad at all.

Thanks for the advice!

The Mariner of the Seas' itinerary switch from Mexico to the Pacific Northwest has been such a big hit, Royal Caribbean might put it on the books in 2010. ... Royal Caribbean said it is considering alternating the Pacific Northwest itinerary with its traditional three-port Mexican Riviera cruise next summer.

Oh yes! I will book this one if available! :D

Hi, all, I have a quick question for those who have boarded the Mariner here in So CA! The Monarch building had a special lounge for diamond and suite passengers. Mariner uses the larger building doesn't it? Is there a special lounge there also?
Yes, but you are expected to flush when you are done.

It looks like the Mariner has new lounge chairs by the pool and around the deck. I noticed this yesterday on a picture that was posted of the Mariner going under the Golden Gate Bridge. Great picture too! They look like the same chairs they have on Freedom. I wonder when they made the change?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=991729&page=12

I HIGHLY recommend going to deck 4 for all of you walkers out there. You can go the WHOLE way around the outside of the ship on this deck. Plus you are close to the water, go on the "hump" around the dining room, and get to go through the "tunnel" at the back of the ship. The only potential problem would be for those trying to avoid stairs. To get up to the bow helipad you have to go up one deck of steps then down another on the other side. For you people, just go to the stairs, then turn around. But for those looking for an uncrowded aerobic walking workout it's the bomb!!

I HIGHLY recommend going to deck 4 for all of you walkers out there. You can go the WHOLE way around the outside of the ship on this deck. Plus you are close to the water, go on the "hump" around the dining room, and get to go through the "tunnel" at the back of the ship. The only potential problem would be for those trying to avoid stairs. To get up to the bow helipad you have to go up one deck of steps then down another on the other side. For you people, just go to the stairs, then turn around. But for those looking for an uncrowded aerobic walking workout it's the bomb!!

We do that walk several times every morning after breakfast, which ultimately ends with us walking in to the Promenade Cafe' for a cup of tea and something sweet to nibble on. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question re the Mariner. I recently got to travel on the Freedom and one stop I LOVED was the pizza place. Not for the pizza but for all of the other italian snacks (different cheeses, crostini, olives, etc.).

Does the Mariner have this too? Or just the pizza?

Quick question re the Mariner. I recently got to travel on the Freedom and one stop I LOVED was the pizza place. Not for the pizza but for all of the other italian snacks (different cheeses, crostini, olives, etc.).

Oh no, they have those too! :D It's in the Promenade Cafe. Every day they'll have little ham and cheese croissants, in addition to different ones they'll add daily. They are so yummy. They also have pizza, cookies, cheesecake, different pastries and fruit tarts.

they do, and the cookies are better. you could smell them all the way up the elevator shaft. never noticed that on the IOS :(

Thanks so much for this review and pictures. I have been on the Mariner 7 times, but out of Port Canaveral. I just booked a cruise on her for Dec. 13th, 2009. I cannot wait to see her again and to do this itinerary.

• 1 month later...
Hi! Looking for a good photo of the starboard hump showing the cabins, especially deck nine, so I can brag to my traveling companions about scoring one of these prize cabins! ;)

Rick

Bottom half ...

DSC_0123.jpg

All of it ...

DSC_0122.jpg

And in the day light ...

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

This may have been already addressed.. I'm working my way thru the thread!

We're sailing on Aug 16 (Mexico). - hump cabin on deck 8!! I've done most of my cruises on Princess, and only one on RCI (Explorer of the Seas).

I know on Princess there are a few "secrets" and special things not to miss, like being able to order mixed berries in the DR at breakfast (not on the menu) and uncrowded spots on the ship to relax. They have a special French Toast available only in the DR, and only on debarkation day, etc.

Also on Princess, regardless of cabin category or status, you can request (and receive) a bathrobe to use. Is that the case on Mariner as well? (Or maybe I just need to ask the room Steward nicely)

Anything you can share about the Mariner?

I'm looking forward to this cruise and the Marnier!

Archived