Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

I wouldn't call it "British" at all. What about NCL's Courtyard Villas? HAL and RCL's Concierge Lounges?

I think it is a good idea. Why shouldn't you get more than just larger accommodations and room amenities for the money spent?

I do sail Cunard often, and frankly, the areas devoted solely to the Grills.....I don't miss it at all.

The original boxwood topiaries on Millie didn't last but three months. I wouldn't say gardening is their forte.

The lawn would have to be maintained through the use of fertilizers and pesticides. That's not particularly "green"!

A number of years ago, Celebrity added the "concierge class" cabins, which gave people certain ammenities for an extra cost over what was really a outside balcony cabin. One of the problems with cruising is that once you sail in a suite of any kind, the idea of anything smaller is difficult, and giving up certain amenities and priveleges is also hard. I will admit, there are certain advantages of the amenities, like priority tender service, priority embarkation and debarkation, butler service, a concierge to help you with reservations and shore excursions. Do we pay extra for this privelege, of course we do, and sometimes quite a bit extra. Should that extra money yield something more for us than just a larger room, I would say yes, there is nothing wrong with that. When you compare what we pay for even a sky suite for 2, compared to 4 people in an inside cabin . . . . you get the picture. Of course I am sure that many will disagree with me, but I know that there are many who think that there is nothing wrong with the idea that you get what you pay for. And, by the way, we took our first HAL cruise last year, got a bargain on a deluxe suite, and the Neptune Lounge was the greatest.

Pity Celebrity does not concentrate on providing excellent service, on shore and at sea as was the original cept.

Now they seem to rely totally on "gimmicks" dreamed up by "just out of college" advertising staff, while allowing the "product" itself to deteriorate , poor waiters, poor cabin staff and service, staff that cannot speak "English" (this even goes for the senior officers). They also fail to realise the need for information ASAP at present all you get is , "that info is not available try in a few months time "

I don't think of the new amenities offered on Solstice as being an indicator of dividing the ship by "class", i.e. social class, but more as the offering of a differentiated type of product that is available for an additional cost, which is, after all, the North American way.

We all make choices on where to spend our hard-earned dollars based on what best meets our needs and priorities. No class division there. :o

I wonder if X will charge admission to this exclusive (Club) area? I can just picture it now...1000 people jammed into that space!:D

I may be wrong but doesn't Princess charge extra for the golf putting area? All in the name of $$$!

Pity Celebrity does not concentrate on providing excellent service, on shore and at sea as was the original cept.

Now they seem to rely totally on "gimmicks" dreamed up by "just out of college" advertising staff, while allowing the "product" itself to deteriorate , poor waiters, poor cabin staff and service, staff that cannot speak "English" (this even goes for the senior officers). They also fail to realise the need for information ASAP at present all you get is , "that info is not available try in a few months time "

I'm just amazed at how much you know about the Celebrity advertising staff. Just out of college? You must have an "in" somewhere.

Age-ism works both ways, I suppose.

Many golf courses are in hot, humid climates and do just fine. It just takes some care. I love the way golf course grass feels under my feet as well, so hopefully that is what it will be like.

I don't find it gimmicky. I find it interesting and different, and I applaud RCI/Celebrity for thinking outside the box and coming up with interesting concepts.

Simply put, SOLSTICE will be the most interesting ship since the QM2. Thank goodness she is not another Vista, Grand, or Destiny Class clone.

Personally I can't wait, and I'm booked on the inaugural.

Here is a link to a video where you can see the green space around the funnels.

Ernie

...I just hope they don't throw the box away. Sometimes you need the instructions on the underside of the lid.

Is Celebrity tapping some sociological need to feel superior in order to feed the bottom line?

In the case of Blu, not at all. They're trying to reach an underserved market of younger, affluent professionals who will pay for a spa vacation but didn't see current Celebrity offerings meeting their needs. Celebrity once differentiated itself with an emphasis on good Continental dining in its main dining rooms, but for many people, that "edge" is a disadvantage because Roux food is heavy and they want to keep trim and eat healthily while on vacation. Blu caters to those needs by providing a healthy option that carries through the day, unlike the Aqua Spa on M-class ships that is only good for breakfast and lunch.

God, I sound like a marketing intern.

Anyway, yes, they're trying to appeal to people who want something different, but it's because they want a different experience, not a "higher class" experience than their fellow passengers.

The Solstice will already be space ratio challenged compared to other Celebrity ships. At 121,000 tons and 2,800 people (43/1) compared to a Millennium ship at 91,000 tons and 1,950 people(47/1). More ship, but way more people. Add to this, areas of the ship off-limits to the majority of the passengers (ie -- Blu and who knows?).

This is probably not a big deal, but I would be interested in what others think about this trend?

Kel:)

Kel: Stick with me and we will have fun no matter what the upper class does. From what I read Blu will have pretty much the same menu as the main dinning room. Going to Blu might be out of bound to us, but I think the main dinning room is out of bounds to AC.

You might want to change your space ratio, Solstice

at 122,000 tons and 2,800 people (43.5/1) compared to a Millennium ship at 91,000 tons and 2,038 people(44.6/1). Century at 71,545 tons and 1814 people (39.4/1).

I am looking forward to sailing with You.

P.S. There are 300 of them and 2500 of us.

In the case of Blu, not at all. They're trying to reach an underserved market of younger, affluent professionals who will pay for a spa vacation but didn't see current Celebrity offerings meeting their needs. Celebrity once differentiated itself with an emphasis on good Continental dining in its main dining rooms, but for many people, that "edge" is a disadvantage because Roux food is heavy and they want to keep trim and eat healthily while on vacation. Blu caters to those needs by providing a healthy option that carries through the day, unlike the Aqua Spa on M-class ships that is only good for breakfast and lunch.

Anyway, yes, they're trying to appeal to people who want something different, but it's because they want a different experience, not a "higher class" experience than their fellow passengers.

I'm all for small amounts of high quality food!:)

Kel: Stick with me and we will have fun no matter what the upper class does. From what I read Blu will have pretty much the same menu as the main dinning room. Going to Blu might be out of bound to us, but I think the main dinning room is out of bounds to AC.

You might want to change your space ratio, Solstice

at 122,000 tons and 2,800 people (43.5/1) compared to a Millennium ship at 91,000 tons and 2,038 people(44.6/1). Century at 71,545 tons and 1814 people (39.4/1).

I am looking forward to sailing with You.

P.S. There are 300 of them and 2500 of us.

George,

Should be a wonderful time!:) You're right -- every site has different numbers. Celebrity's website is now showing the Solistice with 2,850 passengers @ 122,000 tons (42.807) and the Millennium with 2,034 passengers @ 91,000 tons (44.739).

Looking forward to it and I'm sure this will be one of the best "mega-ships" afloat!

Kel

I just saw the AquaClass gets Blu distinction on Celebrity's site today and I was disappointed. I got all excited about Cunard's Queen Victoria promotional pictures showing the Queen's Grill outdoor dining until I read it was for a certain class. If AquaClass gets Blu does that mean the hoy poloy, such as myself, who are lookng forward to using the Aqua Cafe on Millie next week would not get the equivalent on Solstice? I don't mind specialty area (Adults pools, spas, specialty restuarants) provided there is an alternative for the rest of us or there is a way to pay for the use of a specialty area, but closing off a section of the ship to a class bothers me.

I thought Roux food was out, or at least on it's way out??? I don't remember "heavy" food in September.

What Solstice has done was this...provided a deck above the CC class cabins to tackle the overhang issue, which was the reason that X introduced CC class when it first began Because the level of cabin was impacteed by lack of sun and below the pool deck, the added some perks and reclassified it. Now this new deck is still minus the sun because of the overhang, and it's still under very public decks from up above, and it is also higher so the motion might be going to be felt a bit more as the pendulum swings.

This deck is being bundled with spa and assigned dining wthout any discussion of what the 'spa deal' is or the menu offerings in the Blu dining room. Right now it can't even be termed as obscure since there is realyl nothing at all to go on for details.

But it is clear to me from the plans so far that there is not a spa cafe in the solarium area as we know it now, (anyone...PLEASE correct me if I am wrong) but I do think as some other posters have mentioned that AQ and Blu will be a kid free environment, and that in itself may be worth the price of admission for many.

I am not sure how the grass will hold up, however Bocce at sea would be very nice! :) We play at the beach every summer. Love that game!

I don't play but like seeing it played on the beach in the sand firm and wet from the tides going out.

Otherwise, that narrows down the areas for additional dining venues. I'm sticking with my notes on that on a different post. This area would have been awesome for a glass dining room under the stars...

There is also the top most deck at the rear end that is unplanned. That could be an awesome panoramic glass room for dining!

Well...ernie reports on a new thread this area has been released by X and is The New Lawn Club. So now even fewer areas to fill in for specialty dining. Ought to be interesting!

I don't play but like seeing it played on the beach in the sand firm and wet from the tides going out.

Otherwise, that narrows down the areas for additional dining venues. I'm sticking with my notes on that on a different post. This area would have been awesome for a glass dining room under the stars...

Hi Finely Cruising !

I agree. I like your idea better. While it is different, the grass idea just doesnt excite me. We can get that in a park. I do not need it on a Cruise Ship. Anyway, lets hope Celebrity knows what they are doing on this one.

Hi Andy --

I like my idea better too! :o

I think they kinda thought recreation deck ala RCCL and its golf area/rock wall, and really might have limited the presentation of it's use as lukewarmly described.

The glass blowing I am a fan of...so maybe if it's like an outodoor ampitheatre, I can come up with some good ideas for it like that for other demonstrations or entertainment options.:)

Particularly for evening options.

Anyone want to help me out???;)

Seems to me that the idea of a lawn at sea was initiated on The World. I watched a television expose on the putting green, how special grass was developed and how the lawn was maintained.

Not sure how successful it has been...but if it has been, then all Celebrity has to do is copy and inlarge.

I agree with a previous poster, concentration on the basics of service, food and ship upkeep should be the center attention, not gimmicks.

I too am booked on the inaugural......I am more interested in dinning service and the quality of food...not a patch of lawn I dont need to see....and I am a lawn freak. I want to see and smell the sea.

Lets hope the basics are in place not only for the inaugural, but from that point on.

March its the Millenium, August the Constellation...hope the experience is great and a good lead in to the Solstice.

Tom

I have sailed on princess for 10 cruises in 6 years and leaving in April for another 2 weeks. I always get a mini suite. it gives me a bath tub and a large balcony.

I am sailing the Solstice in jan and i booked AC. i am giving up my bathtub and fridge for a lot of extras that i do not get on princess. I feel i deserve them for the money. but i will miss my fridge and tub. as far as Blu goes i heard it was not spa food and I like the idea of the smaller DR over he big main one.

i think Robinsliver as it right

Archived