Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

Is it just me, or are posters being a tad negative about any news coming out about the Solstice?

It seems every announcement has been met with "oh, that won't work" or "I like it the old way" or some comments like that. How dare they use white? how could they have grass on the ship? It kind of sounds like the reasons that were given to keep the horse and buggy, and not be taken in by those new-fangled horseless carriages. Have you seen a lot of buggy whip salesmen lately?

If you want the status quo, then travel on one of the existing ships.

I'm looking forward to the new ideas and concepts of the Solstice. I want to see and experience them before passing judgement. I hope to get to do that on the 12/20/08 sailing. I hope my fellow passengers on that sailing are looking for the same.

There's a big difference between "how dare they" and "what are they thinking?" Let's be realistic .... showing so many venues in white in pre-publicity photos has to make one wonder about the practicality of it all. I just came off Brilliance of the Seas where much of the furniture (in patterns meant to hide dirt) were pretty darn bad from stains and dirt. I can't imagine how they plan to have so much white on a ship with so many passengers every week and keep it in good shape. I'm certainly not negative about Solstice....can't wait to sail on her. I have three cruises booked on her. I just don't want it to be looking "worn and dingy" by the time I get on board for a second cruise.

Innovations are great. But practical really needs to come into play as well. And the great thing is that here on Cruise Critic, we get to question those kinds of things when we think they are impractical. For me, showing so many venues in white seems a tad impractical.

I'll be curious to see how much "white" they really end up using.

“TURF’S UP!” THE GRASS REALLY IS GREENER ON CELEBRITY SOLSTICE

MIAMI – January 18, 2008 – There is a new job opening at Celebrity Cruises:

groundskeeper. The perfect candidate must be willing to perform his or her duties while traveling the world aboard a beautifully appointed ocean liner. The successful candidate also must be a dedicated horticulturist who possesses an unmistakable enthusiasm for the unexpected, as the greens will be miles out at sea. When Celebrity Solstice launches in December, vacationers will find that the grass really is greener on a Celebrity Cruises vacation. The ship will present an industry first on the top deck of the ship: real, growing grass, set in an innovative new country club environment known as “The Lawn Club.”

The half-acre Lawn Club on Celebrity Solstice will invite guests to enjoy bocce ball and croquet, practice their putting, picnic with a basket of wine and cheese, or simply feel the grass between their toes, while sailing the oceans of the world. The area also will feature the Hot Glass Show, another first in the industry, developed in collaboration with The Corning Museum

of Glass; the Patio on the Lawn; the Lawn Club Shop, and the Sunset Bar.

“We want our guests to experience the unexpected, like the thrill of sinking a putt on a freshly manicured lawn in the middle of the ocean,” said Dan Hanrahan, President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises. “The experiences on and around the lawn exemplify what we aim to achieve: to recognize, celebrate and indulge our guests in style.”

THE GRASS REALLY IS GREENER ON CELEBRITY SOLSTICE 2/3

“Everything about the Celebrity Cruises brand is authentic,” said Richard D. Fain, Chairman of Celebrity Cruises. “Our vision for a completely genuine experience demanded nothing less than real grass, and we sought out the right innovation to make that vision a reality.” Achieving that reality was no easy task. Celebrity worked with design firm Wilson Butler Architects to design the entire club area, then engaged a team of landscape architects and

irrigation spe******ts along with turf and soil scientists at the University of Florida. Together, they conducted extensive research and tested a variety of grasses to determine which can withstand the winds, sun, shade and temperature variations that will affect the grass and soil as the ship sails in the Caribbean this winter. Other considerations included the ability of the grass to tolerate foot traffic, irrigation and day-to-day care and maintenance of the grass. Even the weight of the grass and soil had to be considered, as well as the water they absorb from the atmosphere and from irrigation.

Metric Facts about The Lawn Club on Celebrity Solstice • At 2,130 square meters (22,927 square feet), The Lawn Club is just over a half-acre in

size.

The Lawn Club is:

• Over three times larger than New York’s Rockefeller Center ice skating rink (668 sq. meters)

• 1.7 times larger than an Olympic-size swimming pool, which is 1,250 sq. meters

• The equivalent of 8.2 tennis courts (these are 260 sq. meters each)

• 2.4 times the size of Centre Court at England’s Wimbledon Lawn & Tennis Club, which is 902 sq. meters

• One-third the size of a regulation soccer field, which is 6,500 sq. meters

The Lawn Club is the central element of the top-deck experiences on Celebrity Solstice. The Patio on the Lawn offers elegant yet relaxed sitting areas where luxury meets casual country club charm. Guests can read the morning paper, lose themselves in a good novel, or enjoy a cup of gourmet coffee with friends, courtesy of the patio’s coffee cart service.

THE GRASS REALLY IS GREENER ON CELEBRITY SOLSTICE 3/3

The Hot Glass Show, presented in collaboration with The Corning Museum of Glass, is the patio’s main feature. In its own, dedicated glassblowing studio, the Hot Glass Show will present the history and craft of glassblowing, from its ancient origins to its current countless uses. Three resident “gaffers” – highly skilled glassblowing artists – will educate and entertain cruisers with live glassmaking shows, lectures and workshops. The area also features the Sunset Bar – the ideal sailaway setting on any ship, enhanced

on Celebrity Solstice by the natural grass in The Lawn Club. Located at Celebrity Solstice’s highest point aft, the Sunset Bar provides breathtaking views in a relaxed atmosphere. “We’re confident our guests will be thrilled with The Lawn Club and the many new entertainment and sports options it offers,” Hanrahan said. Celebrity Cruises offers comfortably sophisticated, upscale cruise experiences with highly personalized service, exceptional dining, and extraordinary attention to detail. Celebrity sails in Alaska, Australia/New Zealand, California, Canada/New England, the Caribbean, Europe, Galapagos Islands, Hawaii, the Pacific Coast, Panama Canal and South America. The line also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Canada, Europe and Australia through its cruisetour affiliate. Noted for "The World's Best Large Ships," as voted by the readers of Conde' Nast

Traveler (February 2007 Cruise Poll), Celebrity's current fleet will be joined by Celebrity Solstice in 2008, Celebrity Equinox in 2009, Celebrity Eclipse in 2010, and a fourth Solstice-class ship in 2011. For more information, call your travel agent.

“TURF’S UP!” THE GRASS REALLY IS GREENER ON CELEBRITY SOLSTICE

MIAMI – January 18, 2008 – There is a new job opening at Celebrity Cruises:

groundskeeper. The perfect candidate must be willing to perform his or her duties while traveling the world aboard a beautifully appointed ocean liner. The successful candidate also must be a dedicated horticulturist who possesses an unmistakable enthusiasm for the unexpected, as the greens will be miles out at sea. When Celebrity Solstice launches in December, vacationers will find that the grass really is greener on a Celebrity Cruises vacation. The ship will present an industry first on the top deck of the ship: real, growing grass, set in an innovative new country club environment known as “The Lawn Club.”

The half-acre Lawn Club on Celebrity Solstice will invite guests to enjoy bocce ball and croquet, practice their putting, picnic with a basket of wine and cheese, or simply feel the grass between their toes, while sailing the oceans of the world. The area also will feature the Hot Glass Show, another first in the industry, developed in collaboration with The Corning Museum

of Glass; the Patio on the Lawn; the Lawn Club Shop, and the Sunset Bar.

“We want our guests to experience the unexpected, like the thrill of sinking a putt on a freshly manicured lawn in the middle of the ocean,” said Dan Hanrahan, President and CEO of Celebrity Cruises. “The experiences on and around the lawn exemplify what we aim to achieve: to recognize, celebrate and indulge our guests in style.”

THE GRASS REALLY IS GREENER ON CELEBRITY SOLSTICE 2/3

“Everything about the Celebrity Cruises brand is authentic,” said Richard D. Fain, Chairman of Celebrity Cruises. “Our vision for a completely genuine experience demanded nothing less than real grass, and we sought out the right innovation to make that vision a reality.” Achieving that reality was no easy task. Celebrity worked with design firm Wilson Butler Architects to design the entire club area, then engaged a team of landscape architects and

irrigation spe******ts along with turf and soil scientists at the University of Florida. Together, they conducted extensive research and tested a variety of grasses to determine which can withstand the winds, sun, shade and temperature variations that will affect the grass and soil as the ship sails in the Caribbean this winter. Other considerations included the ability of the grass to tolerate foot traffic, irrigation and day-to-day care and maintenance of the grass. Even the weight of the grass and soil had to be considered, as well as the water they absorb from the atmosphere and from irrigation.

Metric Facts about The Lawn Club on Celebrity Solstice • At 2,130 square meters (22,927 square feet), The Lawn Club is just over a half-acre in

size.

The Lawn Club is:

• Over three times larger than New York’s Rockefeller Center ice skating rink (668 sq. meters)

• 1.7 times larger than an Olympic-size swimming pool, which is 1,250 sq. meters

• The equivalent of 8.2 tennis courts (these are 260 sq. meters each)

• 2.4 times the size of Centre Court at England’s Wimbledon Lawn & Tennis Club, which is 902 sq. meters

• One-third the size of a regulation soccer field, which is 6,500 sq. meters

The Lawn Club is the central element of the top-deck experiences on Celebrity Solstice. The Patio on the Lawn offers elegant yet relaxed sitting areas where luxury meets casual country club charm. Guests can read the morning paper, lose themselves in a good novel, or enjoy a cup of gourmet coffee with friends, courtesy of the patio’s coffee cart service.

THE GRASS REALLY IS GREENER ON CELEBRITY SOLSTICE 3/3

The Hot Glass Show, presented in collaboration with The Corning Museum of Glass, is the patio’s main feature. In its own, dedicated glassblowing studio, the Hot Glass Show will present the history and craft of glassblowing, from its ancient origins to its current countless uses. Three resident “gaffers” – highly skilled glassblowing artists – will educate and entertain cruisers with live glassmaking shows, lectures and workshops. The area also features the Sunset Bar – the ideal sailaway setting on any ship, enhanced

on Celebrity Solstice by the natural grass in The Lawn Club. Located at Celebrity Solstice’s highest point aft, the Sunset Bar provides breathtaking views in a relaxed atmosphere. “We’re confident our guests will be thrilled with The Lawn Club and the many new entertainment and sports options it offers,” Hanrahan said. Celebrity Cruises offers comfortably sophisticated, upscale cruise experiences with highly personalized service, exceptional dining, and extraordinary attention to detail. Celebrity sails in Alaska, Australia/New Zealand, California, Canada/New England, the Caribbean, Europe, Galapagos Islands, Hawaii, the Pacific Coast, Panama Canal and South America. The line also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Canada, Europe and Australia through its cruisetour affiliate. Noted for "The World's Best Large Ships," as voted by the readers of Conde' Nast

Traveler (February 2007 Cruise Poll), Celebrity's current fleet will be joined by Celebrity Solstice in 2008, Celebrity Equinox in 2009, Celebrity Eclipse in 2010, and a fourth Solstice-class ship in 2011. For more information, call your travel agent.

Perhaps the moderators can combine the three threads on this

jt1120 ~ I've posed the question for exactly the reason you mentioned. I probably wouldn't have thought much of it until I was looking at all the links on the Solstice website last night and saw so much white that it started to stand out. I love the look (it's clean on paper) but it will be interesting to see what the ultimate color schemes end up being....and if there is as much white as they are showing now what it will look from her inaugural (which I'm on) to our March cruise on her.

Texed ~ it makes me very sad that we miss you by a week. We may have to meet as we get off and you get on!

So far, I find all the innovations very interesting. Some of the white loungers look like the kind that can be cleaned quite easily. I guess their laundry will using a lot of bleach :) but I like what I see. I still want the warmth in the common areas but I like that the disco is going mod. That should be fun. Our roll call is already making noise about meeting in the Martini Bar for vodka and caviar! I think the lawn sounds absolutely divine!! I'm ready for my picnic and my glass of La Crema chardonnay while watching the sunset! <sigh>

I think that the press release, at least, makes the Lawn Club sound much nicer and multi-purpose than some of the original posts on here did. And from the language in the release, it appears that they have taken into consideration some of the potential problems of planting and maintaining the grass, when planning this unique area, so I think we ought to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait and see the finished product before dismissing it out of hand.:)

I do hope that it will be accessible to all Solstice guests so that everyone can enjoy what it offers.:)

I'm new to this thread so someone may have asked before, and if so, I'm sorry.. Does anyone have knowledge of what kind of grass they picked? We sure could use something that tolerant on our golf course in Florida, or for that matter on my lawn!

I'm excited about the ship but haven't booked yet. It sure is different and fun to speculate:)

I just read the press release, and the Lawn Club sounds like an exclusive members only venue. I bet you have to join and I bet there is a membership fee as well.

Time will tell....

This is a quote from the release so I don't believe there will be a charge. "Passengers can also use The Lawn Club for simply soaking up sun or reading a book. There will be no charge to utilize the putting green or any other area of The Lawn Club, though there will of course be a limited number of putters available for borrowing."

Also, in answer to your question about a fee for the putting green on the Princess line, there was none when we were on the Crown Princess in September '07. :)

The deck plans for SOLSTICE have been updated on the Celebrity website. I also see a new deck, called Solstice Deck. The description is as follows:

Solstice Deck

When you arrive at the highest point on Solstice, you won't be disappointed. Whether you're looking for the ideal spot to do some early morning yoga, stretch out on a canopied lounge bed, or for the best view of the beautiful starry sky to cap off another magical evening aboard, The Solstice Deck is where your search ends and the relaxation begins.

I like the idea of canopied loungers. This sounds like an adult only area similar to The Sanctuary on Princess and Serenity on Carnival. I wonder if there will be an extra charge?

Ernie

The deck plans for SOLSTICE have been updated on the Celebrity website. I also see a new deck, called Solstice Deck. The description is as follows:

Solstice Deck

When you arrive at the highest point on Solstice, you won't be disappointed. Whether you're looking for the ideal spot to do some early morning yoga, stretch out on a canopied lounge bed, or for the best view of the beautiful starry sky to cap off another magical evening aboard, The Solstice Deck is where your search ends and the relaxation begins.

I like the idea of canopied loungers. This sounds like an adult only area similar to The Sanctuary on Princess and Serenity on Carnival. I wonder if there will be an extra charge?

Ernie

I'm not a gardener, but doesn't salt water tend to be bad for plants? I'm wondering what they will do when they have some rough weather that sends sea spray all over the new lawn. Are there grass variants that can handle salt water? I really don't know!

It sounds like a pretty cool idea, I hope it works out! :)

Theron

just received my slide show and it looks like it is basically putting Greene's. Which means you can not just walk on it and it will be by appointment and there will be a fee. Either that, or only specific cabins will have access to it. I dont see how people can lounge on it and putt on it at the same time?

The "club house" Is all glass.

It takes up alot of deck space.:( Just how popular are the putting greens on RCCL ships? I am sure this was taken into consideration. It looks like an adult area that is all about golf. Classier and more sophisticated then the putt putt golf on RCCL's ships.

Archived