Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

The deck plans for SOLSTICE have been updated on the Celebrity website. I also see a new deck, called Solstice Deck. The description is as follows:

Solstice Deck

When you arrive at the highest point on Solstice, you won't be disappointed. Whether you're looking for the ideal spot to do some early morning yoga, stretch out on a canopied lounge bed, or for the best view of the beautiful starry sky to cap off another magical evening aboard, The Solstice Deck is where your search ends and the relaxation begins.

I like the idea of canopied loungers. This sounds like an adult only area similar to The Sanctuary on Princess and Serenity on Carnival. I wonder if there will be an extra charge?

Ernie

My how the site changes in one day....and how good it sounds!!!

It takes up alot of deck space.:( Just how popular are the putting greens on RCCL ships? I am sure this was taken into consideration. It looks like an adult area that is all about golf. Classier and more sophisticated then the putt putt golf on RCCL's ships.

They are VERY popular.

just received my slide show and it looks like it is basically putting Greene's. Which means you can not just walk on it and it will be by appointment and there will be a fee. Either that, or only specific cabins will have access to it.

Incorrect. Everyone will have access to it (regardless of cabin grade booked) and there is no charge. Also, there are areas for sports activities and other areas you can walk on, sit down, etc.

I know there are people questioning the upkeep of grass on a ship. I would imagine that Royal Caribbean has thought all this through, and figured out ways to make it work. Otherwise I don't think they would bother. I think on GENESIS we will see it taken to the next level, with the Central Park concept.

It's probably difficult and expensive to maintain an ice skating rink on a cruise ship in the Caribbean, and I'm sure we all had our doubts about that one, but Royal Caribbean has managed it quite well.

Perhaps The Lawn Club will prove too difficult to maintain in the long run, but regardless I give Royal Caribbean credit for trying something different. They are a company that really puts their money where their mouth is.

Ernie

I'm not a gardener, but doesn't salt water tend to be bad for plants? I'm wondering what they will do when they have some rough weather that sends sea spray all over the new lawn. Are there grass variants that can handle salt water? I really don't know!

Isn't the top of the ship hundreds of feet up from the water? Does the spray really go that high? I remember getting a bit of mist during REALLY rough water on the Promenade deck on Mercury, but it seems like this deck on Solstice is going to be at least twice as far from the water's surface...

Isn't the top of the ship hundreds of feet up from the water? Does the spray really go that high? I remember getting a bit of mist during REALLY rough water on the Promenade deck on Mercury, but it seems like this deck on Solstice is going to be at least twice as far from the water's surface...

Yep... These pictures were taken on Grandeur, not quite as big, but not small. The third row on the first page of the album was taken from the Viking Crown Lounge. You can clearly see the sea spray blowing up over the top of the front of the ship, which is Deck 10!

Not common, fortunately, but common enough to kill the grass unless they've got something figured out for when it does happen.

Theron

There are some really great lawns at the shore.

Exactly. And how many golf courses have greens that jet out into the ocean on peninsulas? I can think of a few in Hawaii. The grass still looks great.

I have no doubt it can be done. If it couldn't, I don't think Royal Caribbean/Celebrity would move forward with it. For certain the testing and development are costing them $$$$. Of course the testing phase is always different than real time, so no doubt they will encounter issues they haven't thought of. None the less I have confidence in their abilities to overcome most obstacles. They certainly have done so with the ice skating rink, flow rider, etc.

Ernie

The whole thing sort of creeps me out but we'll see how it goes.

DH will like the putting green--he's a great golfer but I hope they have nets for those whose putts go off into the wind & land on the lower decks.

Also wondering where the jogging /walking track is for more active fun! Isn't that on the top deck usually?

Hope none of this means cutbacks in food, service & elegance--that is what made Celebrity what it was.

The whole thing sort of creeps me out but we'll see how it goes.

[/b]

Well, the nice thing is that Celebrity has plenty of other ships that don't have The Lawn Club if you are not interested. I can't understand what is creepy about having a green lawn?

Ernie

There is a type of grass (I think it's palmer grass) that actually can be watered with salt water. I just learned about it at the Four Seasons Costa Rica. That's what they use there. It makes it possible to have a beautiful, green, lush lawn even in the middle of a desert as long as you have access to sea water. Sounds perfect for a lawn on a cruise ship.

There is a type of grass (I think it's palmer grass) that actually can be watered with salt water. I just learned about it at the Four Seasons Costa Rica. That's what they use there. It makes it possible to have a beautiful, green, lush lawn even in the middle of a desert as long as you have access to sea water. Sounds perfect for a lawn on a cruise ship.

Interesting! I couldn't find any pictures of it, but Wikipedia has an article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distichlis_palmeri

The things you learn here!! :)

Theron

Ah, when I searched on the latin name, this showed up:

http://foro.apnsac.org/?p=17

FYI there are new renderings posted at the following link:

http://www.celebritysolstice.com/#/gallery/

Click on "Ship Views" for new exterior renderings, including a cool new aft view of the ship.

Also click on "Onboard Diversions" for a rendering of the Solstice Deck, which offers the double padded loungers and shaded canopies. This area looks adults only to me and is all the way forward at the top of the ship.

As much as I am already a fan of CELEBRITY SOLSTICE, I do have one major concern. With The Lawn Club, Sunset Bar, and cabin balconies taking up all of the aft deck space, and the very spacious but limited Solstice Deck taking up all the forward deck space, where are the majority of the almost 3000 passengers going to lay out in the sun? There is only the center pool area left, and that is relatively small. Most cruise ships already have a major problem with chair saving and limited deck space as it is, and with the alternative deck areas (aft and forward) on SOLSTICE dedicated to other purposes, I can only see this as a major issue. As a person that likes to sit by the pool and relax in the sun for hours each day on a cruise, I'm concerned. Perhaps I am missing something and maybe it won't be a problem, but from everything I have seen my experience tells me it will be. I guess time will tell and I'll find out soon enough on the inaugural cruise.

Ernie

I forgot to mention that the new renderings show two different smoke stack colors. One has them as a dark navy blue, and the other a light power blue. I wonder which one Celebrity will go with? I like the dark navy.

Also, one rendering shows this huge "Celebrity Solstice" sign on the top deck and another more close up view of The Lawn Club doesn't show the sign. I wonder if the ship will have the sign or not? I hope it doesn't. There is already enough signage on the hull and that huge sign (probably lights up) might be overkill.

Lastly, does anyone know how to capture and save these images on your computer? I have a Mac and I can't figure out how. Normally I would just right click and select "save", but these images are part of an adobe flash program so that option is not possible.

Ernie

Hi Ernie:) can't help you with the pictures (I am still PC challenged

when it comes to alot of the stuff) but you can have my seat

at the pool;) :D. I don't sit out but prefer a place at one of the

bars instead:)

Hi Ernie:) can't help you with the pictures (I am still PC challenged

when it comes to alot of the stuff) but you can have my seat

at the pool;) :D. I don't sit out but prefer a place at one of the

bars instead:)

Thanks Lois!

Of course I will take a break from the sun and join you at the bar as well! ;)

Ernie

I just reserved our veranda cabin for the December 21 '08 sailing, so I was delighted to see all of the new renderings on the Celebrity site this week. Wow. Personally, I'm thrilled by all of the white (or light colors) and the grass really intrigues me. I just told my husband I may never leave the ship!

As an interior designer, yes, I'm concerned about the light colors staying clean, but there are so many new fabrics that repel stains I feel this must be well thought-out. The new micro-fiber textiles are incredible, especially those resembling rich suede.

I'm blown away by the designs I've seen and the anticipation is building! I've never sailed Celebrity before (lots of cruises - just no Celebrity).

Lastly, does anyone know how to capture and save these images on your computer? I have a Mac and I can't figure out how. Normally I would just right click and select "save", but these images are part of an adobe flash program so that option is not possible.

Ernie

Hi Ernie -- on a Mac, you can take a screen shot of those images. If you hold down the "apple/command" button and the "shift" button and then hit the "3" key, an image of your entire screen will appear on your desktop. If you hold down "apple/command" and shift and hit "4", a little crosshairs will appear and you can drag a box around what is on your screen that you want to capture, and that file will appear on your desktop as well.

Hope that helps.

The ship just looks amazing to me. Like nothing we have seen before.

Ernie

New view looking aft:

web.jpg

Another aft view with the Sunset Bar:

web.jpg

The Solstice Deck (perhaps an adult area?)

web.jpg

Two level Library (watch out QUEEN VICTORIA!)

web.jpg

Sunset Bar and Bocce Court

web.jpg

Patio on The Lawn - night view

web.jpg

Thanks Lois!

Of course I will take a break from the sun and join you at the bar as well! ;)

Ernie

Ok...I will buy round one and you can pick up the 2nd:D :) ;)

The aft balconies are looking fairly generous too! Let's hope part of the balcony is set back into the ship and covered.

After looking through the updated deck plans yesterday, it dawned on me: it looks like there will be no thalassotherapy pool on Solstice. This would be a major disappointment for me. In the http://www.cruisecelebritysolstice.com site, when it talks about the solarium, it refers to the pool as an "indoor lap pool." And, it doesn't look like there is a "for pay" t-pool in the spa.

Archived