Firsthand sneak peak at Solstice (Merger of Several Threads)

Richard Stein

If this subject has been addressed previously, forgive my ignorance. But based on what I've read about Solstice (on which we're booked, BTW), it seems Celebrity has been stingy disseminating information. Holland America, part of the Carnival family, for goodness sakes, has an extensive blog for Eurodam (we're booked on her too), which covers just about every aspect of the ship from the menu to the propulsion system. I thought about printing it all out for reference, but gave up after I realized how much paper I'd use. The point is, there are no secrets to cruise ships and to see Celebrity, our favorite mass-market cruise line, play it's cards so close to its chest, is puzzling. And annoying!:mad:

We are also booked on both and, even though Solstice will debut later, the lack of details has proved a little surprising. Maybe Celebrity just wants to build the buzz, but that walks a fine line between intriguing and frustrating their current and potential customers. I really prefer the way HAL has handled the Eurodam information.

As for Blu, the brochure describes it as being the "dedicated specialty restaurant" for AQ. We are booked in this cabin category and wonder if it will be our main dining venue like that for the Britania Club passengers on the QM2.

I have been trying to put my finger on Solstice design and to me it looks like a little tradition, a lttle Art Deco, a little Ian Schlaeger (sorry for the spelling), and probably other styles. From the artist renderings, some spaces look a little cold. My impression is that one will either love or hate it. I guess we'll have to see it in the "flesh".

I understand those who book an AQ class cabin on Solstice are automatically entitled to a standing reservation, at no extra charge, at Blu, the specialty restaurant on Solstice. Does anybody know if this is the one and only specialty restaurant? If it is, and it's reserved for AQ guests, I would imagine it may be hard to get a reservation there. Anybody know?

AquaClass rooms have their own speciality dining at Blu - it seats 130, there is no cover charge. If you want to eat at the other restaurants you will need to check availabiltiy [main dining room]. Those not in the AQ rooms will not be allowed into Blu. AQ are only 2-berth rooms so no triples/quads - and perhaps by this implication - no children....?!

Mike 2131, thanks for reinforcing my opinions. Just for that we'll buy you a beer or other libation on the inaugural. We're on that, plus the two succeeding Copenhagen round trips (b-to-b). Now then, as much as I praised HAL for the Eurodam blog, I have to say that the line was not as forthcoming (or maybe not as organzied) when it came to booking the Eurodam inaugural. We booked what we assumed was the first cruise only to learn that it was the second leg (the one that goes to Russia), despite the fact that our TA kept telling HAL we wanted the inaugural. After that mess got straightened out and we were rebooked on the first leg (July 6) and the second leg, HAL never told us that we could save money booking back-to-back. About the time our TA got that sorted out, we were informed of the pre-inaugural 3-day cruise, which we also booked (in for a penny, in for a pound). However, when HAL informed us that there was a naming ceremony in Rotterdam preceding the pre-inaugural cruise, we finally said, "Enough," having changed our airline reservations several times.

FYI, we're booked on the Feb 22, 2008 Solstice cruise out of Miami.

AquaClass rooms have their own speciality dining at Blu - it seats 130, there is no cover charge. If you want to eat at the other restaurants you will need to check availabiltiy [main dining room]. Those not in the AQ rooms will not be allowed into Blu. AQ are only 2-berth rooms so no triples/quads - and perhaps by this implication - no children....?!

Albert, not that anything is set in stone from some prior comments, some who inquired of Celebrity reps if booking in Blu was possible if not in AQ were told on a space available basis.

I did seem to get the idea that the Blu assignment and the dining room option as an alternate evening was not compatable, and I wonder if everyone undertstands that. I am confident the rules of the road will be expanded on these boards once the ship sails and we receive feedback about how it all works, what the menus are like, and all the other things we are waiting to find out more about.

Albert, not that anything is set in stone from some prior comments, some who inquired of Celebrity reps if booking in Blu was possible if not in AQ were told on a space available basis.

I did seem to get the idea that the Blu assignment and the dining room option as an alternate evening was not compatable, and I wonder if everyone undertstands that. I am confident the rules of the road will be expanded on these boards once the ship sails and we receive feedback about how it all works, what the menus are like, and all the other things we are waiting to find out more about.

It is my understanding that the AQ cabins (SPA cabins) and the Blu (SPA resturant) are for those wanting to have a SPA experience. In other words they are putting a SPA resort (so to say) on a ship.

Like you said the Blue and specialty dining are two different things.

The Blu is only for those in the SPA cabins (AQ). These passengers may go to the main dining or the Blu but those not in the the SPA cabins are not allowed in the Blu

Of course anything and everything can change

Mike 2131, thanks for reinforcing my opinions. Just for that we'll buy you a beer or other libation on the inaugural. We're on that, plus the two succeeding Copenhagen round trips (b-to-b). Now then, as much as I praised HAL for the Eurodam blog, I have to say that the line was not as forthcoming (or maybe not as organzied) when it came to booking the Eurodam inaugural. We booked what we assumed was the first cruise only to learn that it was the second leg (the one that goes to Russia), despite the fact that our TA kept telling HAL we wanted the inaugural. After that mess got straightened out and we were rebooked on the first leg (July 6) and the second leg, HAL never told us that we could save money booking back-to-back. About the time our TA got that sorted out, we were informed of the pre-inaugural 3-day cruise, which we also booked (in for a penny, in for a pound). However, when HAL informed us that there was a naming ceremony in Rotterdam preceding the pre-inaugural cruise, we finally said, "Enough," having changed our airline reservations several times.

FYI, we're booked on the Feb 22, 2008 Solstice cruise out of Miami.

...but it sounds like you are on the European inaugral and we are on the U.S. innaugral out of NYC. I'll look forward to reading your Eurodam review and I'll return the favor with a review of our 1/11/09 Solstice cruise.

Today I received the latest issue of Conde Naste Traveler, and inside was a fold out ad for CELEBRITY SOLSTICE. Included was a new innovation I haven't seen before.

The Lawn Club.

Situated on the top deck, and truly the only one of its kind, The Lawn Club is a half-acre of beautifully manicured grass, inspiring moments of ultimate indulgence. Play bocce, sip a cold drink on the patio, or simply sit and be taken in by the smell of freshly cut grass in the middle of the ocean. You can even enjoy a live demonstration of the Hot Glass Show at The Lawn Club's glass blowing studio.

Included is a new picture. The Lawn Club appears to be on both sides of the aft funnel and also between the two funnels. Lots of green space!

Ernie

Today I received the latest issue of Conde Naste Traveler, and inside was a fold out ad for CELEBRITY SOLSTICE. Included was a new innovation I haven't seen before.

The Lawn Club.

Situated on the top deck, and truly the only one of its kind, The Lawn Club is a half-acre of beautifully manicured grass, inspiring moments of ultimate indulgence. Play bocce, sip a cold drink on the patio, or simply sit and be taken in by the smell of freshly cut grass in the middle of the ocean. You can even enjoy a live demonstration of the Hot Glass Show at The Lawn Club's glass blowing studio.

Included is a new picture. The Lawn Club appears to be on both sides of the aft funnel and also between the two funnels. Lots of green space!

Ernie

I was with you on this til you ,mentioned the glass blowing!

The Glass Blowing is old news. Celebrity has already announced that. The Lawn Club is something new, and it looks pretty cool. A half acre is pretty nice patch of green space.

Ernie

So, they are going to water, fertilize and mow this roughly 22,000 sqft patch

of grass at sea. I wonder what kind of grass they plan to use? Grasses which do well in hot climates don't exactly smell very good when cut, nor are they soft on the bare foot.

Sorry, but I find it very gimmicky.

Many golf courses are in hot, humid climates and do just fine. It just takes some care. I love the way golf course grass feels under my feet as well, so hopefully that is what it will be like.

I don't find it gimmicky. I find it interesting and different, and I applaud RCI/Celebrity for thinking outside the box and coming up with interesting concepts.

Simply put, SOLSTICE will be the most interesting ship since the QM2. Thank goodness she is not another Vista, Grand, or Destiny Class clone.

Personally I can't wait, and I'm booked on the inaugural.

Here is a link to a video where you can see the green space around the funnels.

Ernie

So, they are going to water, fertilize and mow this roughly 22,000 sqft patch

of grass at sea. I wonder what kind of grass they plan to use? Grasses which do well in hot climates don't exactly smell very good when cut, nor are they soft on the bare foot.

Sorry, but I find it very gimmicky.

Hi Ocngypz !

While the Lawn on Solstice is an interesting idea, it kind of reminds me of concepts that will be difficult to maintain on an ongoing basis. An example would be the video screens at the Bar on Century, that is now the Martini Bar. Also, the huge video wall by the stairway in the Atrium. High tech yes, but.... they rarely (if ever) worked during the last few years of their existence. In the end, they were both removed during the Century revitilization.

Remember when we initially heard about the Ice Bar that would replace it on Century ? I immediately commented that I wondered how they would be able to keep that running when mechanical problems developed at sea. Well, wouldnt you know it ? someone on a recent Century sailing commented that the Ice feature wasnt working. It was bound to happen. I hope this feature doesnt become Century's second generation of the video wall :)

I commend Celebrity for trying out new ideas, but I hope that they think it through, to make sure they are successful for the long term.

Actually, I mentioned this in my post following our 11/11/07 sailing on the Infinity. It was revealed to us at the Captain's table, hosted by the hotle manager, on the final formal night. The grass was specially developed for this purpose.

I imagine there will be many other surprises on this incredible ship.

Personally I can't wait, and I'm booked on the inaugural.

Here is a link to a video where you can see the green space around the funnels.

Ernie

Hi Ernie !

I know how you feel. I am booked on the Inaugural also, and I cant wait. Great pickup on the video. I thought it was amusing how the ship has the name of Challenger on it's side. For those of you who are not aware, Celebrity initially named the class of Ship as Challenger, but was later changed to Solstice.

whats next? where did that thread go? PETS,, I can just see it now. Bright REd fire hydrants on the perfectly manicured green lawn and all the little furry friends doing there thing!!:D

Maybe to be in the "Lawn Club" you will have to have 4 legs..

Andy,

You may be correct about the number of restaurants. I posted something about it on the Inaugural Voyage Roll Call in October. See:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=12021075&postcount=246

I was surprised no one reacted to the information or began to speculate what the other options might be. Hopefully, we will have more details soon.

Bonnie

I'm scheduled to sail the Solstice March of 2009 and very much looking forward to the experience! Having said that, I'm starting to get an uneasy feeling about this ship and where cruising is headed.

It looks like the Solstice will be a ship of "classes". You pay more, and you get more. I understand the concept and I'm not a communist, but I have a problem with restricting areas of the ship based on a class system.

The Solstice will already be space ratio challenged compared to other Celebrity ships. At 121,000 tons and 2,800 people (43/1) compared to a Millennium ship at 91,000 tons and 1,950 people(47/1). More ship, but way more people. Add to this, areas of the ship off-limits to the majority of the passengers (ie -- Blu and who knows?).

I know Cunard has this, but it's British and there is some historical tradition attached to this. I know airplanes have first class, but there are no common areas, other than a 10 sq ft bathroom, that the other passengers have to give up.

If a person wants an upscale experience they can book Seabourn, Crystal, or one of the other luxury cruise lines. Is Celebrity tapping some sociological need to feel superior in order to feed the bottom line?

I know all this may be premature, and it might be that Aqua Class people have first shot at these areas, and others will be allow in on a first come, first serve basis, but maybe not?

This is probably not a big deal, but I would be interested in what others think about this trend?

Kel:)

I wasn't aware of this system on Solstice, but have absolutely no problem with it. We're all responsible for doing our due diligence and properly researching cruises before we buy. If it bothers people, then they certainly have the choice to select another ship or line. I will say that we wouldn't book the "top" class (because we're just too darned cheap), so if I booked on Solstice (or a Cunard ship), I would expect to be turned away from certain rooms. As it is now, when we sail on RCCI we are turned away from the Concierge Lounge, and that's okay with me.

There is absolutely a trend towards people needing to have a certain "luxury" product in order to fit themselves into a perceived segment of society. However, there is also a trend towards cruiselines "dumbing down" the experience in order to attract more passengers. Perhaps this is a way to please both?

I would hope that X wouldn't lower the service levels or food quality for other "classes" in order to appreciate it for the upper class of stateroom. If that was the case, we'd definitely stay away from X.

Personally I think Aqua Class is a nice idea all around. Gives some cruisers the option to be on a deck without any children or large groups in the cabins--just dbl occupancy rooms.(wonder if they'll hold to that over school vacation times--) They can have the feel of a spa vacation at sea with special passes to spa facilties & use of Blu. It also helps the cruise line sell cabins under the pook deck which may not be that popular. For those not 100% spa committed they can pay to use just about all the same facilities to sample them.....

We have cruised Cunard & did not find the sep. of classes an impediment at all--they did trheir thing & we did ours.. We were just as happy as friends who did the Queens Grill booking...

I am however concerned abt the space ratio--& the possiblilty of anytie dining...Also, the indoor pool area could get very noisy if it is cavernous.. We are booked for next Jan in a regular balcony cabin & are really looking forward to seeing it first hand--it'll be almost brand new!

oops! sorry, but I took the original post as a joke since it juxtaposed the lawn with the glass blowing--could make for a tidy fire.

having a real turf lawn is silly--but a nice tranquil park area would be nice-- The conservatores on board M class have been a disappointment & are really just a hallway near the golf & flower stores.. I had really hoped for a nice botanical area to sit & relax in--that would be nice..

Archived